League club, non-league supporters.

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

trickster
Is that what we’ve become?

All I hear is supporters moaning about the cost of football, no one at the club is getting rich they are just trying to keep the club solvent, it seems to me the extra £2 charged for the cup ticket the majority moaning would rather see it in their pocket rather than the clubs, if you can’t afford it that’s a different argument the trouble is if the prices were set in general to suit the poorest supporter we would soon go broke.
Malabus
Wasn't just about pricing. You have a short memory, trickster. York City, the week before wasn't a great advert for selling (premium priced) FA cup tickets.
confused.com
Malabus wrote:Wasn't just about pricing. You have a short memory, trickster. York City, the week before wasn't a great advert for selling (premium priced) FA cup tickets.
However, according to your merry band, dropping the price by an equivalent amount would have put 2000 on the gate ? Where does the York City factor come in on that calculation ?
Malabus
confused.com wrote:
Malabus wrote:Wasn't just about pricing. You have a short memory, trickster. York City, the week before wasn't a great advert for selling (premium priced) FA cup tickets.
However, according to your merry band, dropping the price by an equivalent amount would have put 2000 on the gate ? Where does the York City factor come in on that calculation ?
Decreasing prices would have greatly helped the undecided, newbies and floaters through the rusty turnstiles.
Joey
For the Swindon game I was in the 'undecided' category Mal speaks of. I had plans to visit relatives in London with my family arranged before the draw was announced, the pricing scheme put me off re-arranging the visit and instead going to the football. Based on what I saw against York and the cost of it at the time I thought I had made the right decision. As we now know, I did not. However none of us foresaw us beating Swindon 5-0 so I find this high horse stance by some people a bit odd.

As for the 'it's just £2 crowd', the issue for people such as myself is that it's about drawing a line. Today it is £2, then it's £3, £4 etc and we end being squeezed further.
Shade
The only reason I can think of for anyone getting on their high horse is that the performances on the whole have been there this season and it was only a matter of time before we ran riot against somebody. Obviously after York and Plymouth recently it looked like this wasn't going to happen anymore so I think they're maybe just hitting out at those that maybe gave up too easily and used any excuse they could find to not go.

I say this as someone who has barely commented on the Swindon game and don't really care about the attendance one way or the other, other than it would have been nice if another 1000 showed up, but that's their business. I just hope there's a bumper crowd against Wycombe that don't expect 5 goals every week.
confused.com
Malabus wrote:
confused.com wrote:
Decreasing prices would have greatly helped the undecided, newbies and floaters through the rusty turnstiles.
i.e. in your totally unsubstantiated opinion
Malabus
confused.com wrote:i.e. in your totally unsubstantiated opinion
Why do you think ALDI and LIDL are growing immensely and other food supermarkets profits are swindling. Why do you think Wetherspoons is the largest ever pub chain.
Stack them high sell them low.
horlickfanclub
Lidl and Aldi settle on a lower gross profit margin the some other businesses and charge consistent prices so that people know what to expect rather than ttrying to cash in on seasonal peaks.
trickster
Malabus wrote:
Why do you think ALDI and LIDL are growing immensely and other food supermarkets profits are swindling. Why do you think Wetherspoons is the largest ever pub chain.
The comparisons in your analogy Malabus do not seem to compare very well, where football is concerned Cheltenham are no supermarket we are closer to being a corner shop, if we piled it high and sold it cheap the regulars would fill their boots and then we would be left with loads of the stuff we couldn’t shift going out of date.

But like the corner shop we have our regulars that pay our prices if they want something cheap then they must travel to the supermarket and get in the queue, now if our regulars are loyal in time we may be able to expand to a convenience store but if they stop coming we go bust.
Robin
I'd argue our fans have gone backwards in recent years and have adopted a non-league mentality, you only have to see the lack of atmosphere and acceptance of any old shite performance to see that. However I see pricing as a challenge for all lower league clubs as most seem to be suffering decreasing crowds.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Joey wrote:For the Swindon game I was in the 'undecided' category Mal speaks of. I had plans to visit relatives in London with my family arranged before the draw was announced, the pricing scheme put me off re-arranging the visit and instead going to the football. Based on what I saw against York and the cost of it at the time I thought I had made the right decision. As we now know, I did not. However none of us foresaw us beating Swindon 5-0 so I find this high horse stance by some people a bit odd.

As for the 'it's just £2 crowd', the issue for people such as myself is that it's about drawing a line. Today it is £2, then it's £3, £4 etc and we end being squeezed further.
Preaching to the wrong people - only the FA/FL/Govt can change it. CTFC already charge the bear minimum they can to survive.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Football is an unpredictable game. That's why we love it. If past performance was an indicator of future results then league tables and bookmakers need not exist.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Malabus wrote:
Stack them high? Aldi and Lidl stock around 2,000 products, compared to about 40,000 at the Big Four.

Your analogy falling apart faster than Swindon's defence.