Dover @ home

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

London Exile
Couldn't have asked for a better draw. Need to learn from last years hiccup at lowly opposition
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Totally.

Non-league at home, can't complain.
51/84
we are not non league
Fuller
Memories of the 1998 FA Trophy semi and I see Jeff Goulding plays for them now !
London Exile
A real chance to progress if we match the application from Saturday
cagliostro
At least some of us won't end up in France after the game LOL
Nice draw and a great opportunity to get at the big boys in round 3
Cag
Reliant Robin
And who predicted it right in the "Mondays FA Cup Draw" thread ?

Don't forget to back my Lottery number predictions too :lol:

Mystic Meg eat your heart out ;)
Uppy
They've beaten a lot of league teams in recent years, but you can't complain about a team from a lower league at home.
Malabus
Let us not alienate long serving supporters like myself that pumped money into the club for over 30 years and make tickets affordable for every body.

£12/£13 let's pack the park full the Gloucestershire, Wiltshire and Shedfordshire public.
Cheltenhamshire
Get in! :)
Andy
TV game?? or changed to the 2pm Sunday slot to do the live updates?
Shade
Well I won't be there, booked me bloody holiday that week because there wasn't a fixture in the diary :P

Unless it's Monday fixture...which it won't be
Robin
Agree, this needs reasonable pricing about £12 to stand and £18 to sit? Should at least mean it's 3000+ if Dover bring a couple of hundred.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Interesting one to price for the Board.

Do we make it cheap as it's a non-league team? We need a full-house to out-sing the away support and intimidate the non-leaguers.

Or,

Do we keep it standard as people will want to come as it's a game away from Round 3 so not one to miss?

I expect the "keep your ticket stub in event of a high demand round three game" statement soon.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Andy wrote:TV game?? or changed to the 2pm Sunday slot to do the live updates?
Not many stand-out TV fixtures really are there so you never know.

North East derby might get on TV - definitely would if it was in Blyth.

Can't wait to see the hordes of Northumbrian coaches heading down the A19 to Hartlepool.

They might think Cheltenham vs Dover is a good upset chance, same as Hereford at Whaddon two seasons ago. I doubt it but you never know.
Andy
Surely it doesnt matter what the price is - if we lose on Saturday people will boycott this game even if its a tenner as its not the price that was the cause of the boycott.... :) ;)
Alf
NIce bit of nostalgia for Russ Milton. 165 games for Dover in the 90's before coming to us.
C.V
Andy wrote:Surely it doesnt matter what the price is - if we lose on Saturday people will boycott this game even if its a tenner as its not the price that was the cause of the boycott.... :) ;)

Your not stoking the smouldering fire by any chance Andy :D
Andy
Who...... me..... never...... ;) LOL

you do realise though that if those that boycotted the last game, come to the Dover game and we lose....its obviously them that is the bad omen....
THECHOIRBOY
Contrasting emotions with the two draws

When we drew Swindon, it was doom and gloom, absolutely no chance.....we win 5-0

We draw Dover, it is a great draw, should win and...................................we will find out soon.

A game we should win, but as we disovered Saturday, anything can happen!! I do think it is a positive they only got about 1800 at home on Sat for their game though so dont expect them to bring a big following
Robin
Dover brought about 200+ for the FA trophy game, would think they would bring similar this time.
leohoenig
Dover Athletic were formed in 1983 to replace Dover FC. It was a seamless transition in so far as the new club took both the ground and league place of the old club.

They played five seasons in the Southern division of the Southern League, winning the title in 1988 and five seasons in the Premier, winning the title in 1993.

Cheltenham had been relegated to the Southern League in 1992, so we played twice in 1993.
The first was on a Tuesday night in March, and drew 1159 to Whaddon Road, (more than we would get for the Easter Monday thrashing of Gloucester). We drew that 1-1 with a goal from Bobby Bloomer. The Saturday after the Gloucester game, Jimmy Smith scored the only goal of a 1-0 win at the Crabble Athletic grounds, in front of over 2000 spectators. Despite this we finished second to Dover, who ended the season with a 13 point advantage over us.

Dover Athletic were to remain in the Conference until 2002. We won promotion to the Conference in 1997, and our first game was at Dover. with just under 1000 seeing us lose 3-0. We did better in the three games at the end of the season, which came in a ten day period. Firstly there was the two legged semi-finals of the Trophy, with us winning at home 2-1 (Jason Eaton twice), and drawing 2-2 in the second leg, (Watkins, and Eaton again); then the following Tuesday we beat Dover 3-1 (Neil Grayson brace and a Jimmy Smith penalty). The Trophy matches both exceeded 3000 crowds, while we got 1660 for the league game. This marked the end of Dover's best ever Trophy run.

The following season's two league meetings were before Christmas, and were both drawn. 1-1 at home (Grayson the scored, 2575 the crowd) and 0-0 at Dover. There had been an earlier Trophy meeting in 1996, when Dover had the fortune of getting home advantage for a second replay that they won 1-0, after a 2-2 draw in the first meeting at Dover (Darren Wright 2), and a 1-1 draw in the replay at Whaddon Road (Banks).

Dover returned to the Southern League in 2002, and came close to being relegated in 2004. They were reprieved in part by a re-organisation that saw Kent moved from Southern territory to Isthmian, and played 2004-5 in the Isthmian Premier, but were in turn relegated after a season. They then spent three seasons in the lower division of the Isthmian League before winning the title of the lower Division (2008) and the Premier (2009). By this time, the Conference regional divisions had been formed, so they played in Conference South, finishing second at the first attempt, but losing to Woking in the play offs.

A third place finish gave them a second go at the play offs in 2013, where they beat Eastleigh but then lost to Salisbury, so it was only last season, when they just got into the play offs with a fifth place that they won promotion, beating Sutton United and Ebbsfleet United. They are currently just above the relegation zone.

This is the fourth time they have been in the Competition Proper of the FA Cup. In 2002, they lost 1-0 at home to Oxford, and last season they beat Corby (away) in the first round before going out at MK Dons. Their best run was in 2010-11. Starting in the second qualifying round, they beat Erith Town (A, 5-1), Cambridge City (H, 3-1) and Farnborough (H, 5-0 after a 1-1 draw)
This led to probably the greatest match in their history to date. Drawn away to Gillingham, the match was given extra impetus as Andy Hessenthaler had resigned as Dover manager less than six months earlier to take over the Gills. Dover won 2-0, and then beat Aldershot 2-0 at home in the next round. Their third league scalp was on Saturday, when they beat Morecambe 1-0.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Good history lesson Leo. Bring 'em on.

I think we all wanted non-league at home. Warrington and Blyth would have been ideal as lower down the pyramid but we should be happy with this draw. I am sure Dover will make it tough and there will be a good cup atmosphere but if Byron and Terry stay on form we should have too much for them.

Will Hall be back in the squad? Be nice to be two or three up and give him fifteen mins at full speed to help his comeback.
robinsrule
Great draw for us! I feel a bit for them though - we are no glamour tie and we are likely to send them packing!
Malabus
Same attitude like Swindon we will win by a similar scoreline.
London Exile
I think we need another fans forum the Thursday before the second round!
Alf
Hang on a minute. Getting a bit concerned. Weren't Tamworth supposed to be there for the taking last year? Great attitude saw us win well against Swindon who prob made the mistake of thinking that we would be a walk over so they didn't have to try too hard. Big mistake. The attitude has to be right up there with the Swindon game or we could come unstuck.
Malabus
Alf wrote:Hang on a minute. Getting a bit concerned. Weren't Tamworth supposed to be there for the taking last year? Great attitude saw us win well against Swindon who prob made the mistake of thinking that we would be a walk over so they didn't have to try too hard. Big mistake. The attitude has to be right up there with the Swindon game or we could come unstuck.
Yatesy have shipped out the no showers at Tamworth. Like I strongly stated we must go into the game with the same attitude versus poor Swindle.
51/84
except the RB who claimed he was better than Sido
asl
They're French - and they know they are...
vickeryc
Yeah, we couldn't have asked for a much better draw than a non-league side at home but, as others have suggested, complacency is potentially our greatest enemy. I don't expect a repeat of the Swindon score, but I would anticipate a two or three goal winning margin unless we have another 'Tamworth' nightmare.
Judge_Dreddful
Malabus wrote:Let us not alienate long serving supporters like myself that pumped money into the club for over 30 years and make tickets affordable for every body.

£12/£13 let's pack the park full the Gloucestershire, Wiltshire and Shedfordshire public.
If it's any more than £15 then I will accept nothing less than you setting yourself on fire in the car park on the stroke of 3pm on match day as a protest against such outrageous profiteering.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
That would be a true act of a martyr.
trickster
Brings back memories, 1997/98 season FA Trophy second leg semi finals at Dover it was a tight affair and not much in it, if I remember Charlie Mitten the Dover keeper was so nervous his knees were knocking and he was taken off at half time final score 2-2 but Cheltenham went through on aggregate 4-3, we will need to take them serious they knocked out Morecambe and will be up for it we just need to make sure that so are we.

I think the tickets will obviously be less for this because of the opposition but don’t forget they have a say in it and they will want to make as much as they can, but one thing’s for sure I will be there after Saturday’s game the weekend and this week so far I’ve been floating on cloud 9.
solihullkev
Great draw. Will however be the third of three consecutive Saturday games in the run up to Xmas. PB indicated on radio after Swindon that if we drew non league team we may well reduce prices. Clubs on Sunday 2pm games get £12,500 each - I'd hope if we were lucky enough to get such a slot we could price the game very competitively and Dover would agree to it given their TV money ? ( I say this on basis I don't think we will be one of the main televised games).

I assume Dover will take no more than 400 fans based on what they attract ? I would have thought depending on pricing we could get anywhere between 2,000 and 3,500 fans. Tough one to predict, but great chance to bring new faces in and get an atmosphere at WR.

No objection to "buy a ticket for Dover and if we win tie you are guaranteed a ticket if we are drawn at home in round 3". In fact support it.