Club statement

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

Jon Palmer
http://bit.ly/CTFCStatement" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
duckers
:D !

This is what we have missed, a manager with warm charisma.. http://www.theguardian.com/football/foo ... o-unbeaten" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I'm sorry to say that Buckle comes across like he is a d!ck

Get Steve Elliott back in charge until the end of the season.
baggy89
Not unexpected or unwarranted but again such strange timing...
asl
I suspect he told the board he'd had enough and this really is one of those 'mutual agreements' which actually is by mutal agreement - that would explain the timing.
Fuller
So what happens now with Edwards and the other Milton ?

Who remembers when we had three Managers in a season before ?

1990/91 - Jim Barron, John Murphy and Dave Lewis, we were in a bit of trouble then too on and off the field.
Shade
Or the board clubbed together enough cash at the last minute to say "here, now on your way".
Alf
If we were going to recruit managers from the ex-players brigade the two I have always thought could step up to the mark were Bob Bloomer or Russ Milton.
Russ now has his chance.he's a good bloke and I hope he senses relief rather than expectation and pressure from the fans tomorrow. He's one of ours, let's hear the Robins Roar from the stands on Saturday! Good luck Russ!
vickeryc
I asl could well be right. Unfortunately, the way events have gone this week makes the club look a bit stupid even though it wasn't its fault that the Echo messed up so badly.
Shade
I do hope we get Elliott back to the club in some way or another. Not sure about as manager though!
THECHOIRBOY
Alf wrote:If we were going to recruit managers from the ex-players brigade the two I have always thought could step up to the mark were Bob Bloomer or Russ Milton.
Russ now has his chance.he's a good bloke and I hope he senses relief rather than expectation and pressure from the fans tomorrow. He's one of ours, let's hear the Robins Roar from the stands on Saturday! Good luck Russ!
Every time I answer that question I go Jerry Gill every time. Been at Norwich a number of years now gaining good experience and a winner and good pro.

Won't happen now mind you but would be very interested at end of season!
Alf
Yes. Jerry Gill, another decent lad who would be the 'right sort of person' for CTFC.
London Exile
Heard the news, punched the air in celebration whilst driving to subway for what is now a celebratory sandwich. I've walked in and Take That's 'greatest day' is playing on the radio!
It certainly is now and hopefully tomorrow I'll be aswell
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Russell Milton is a club legend. A top character and a lovely ball playing tactician.

You have to wonder how much he despairs - a man who relied on snooker-ball style passing and moving who be swallowed alive on the pitch we currently have.

I fully expect Russell Milton to state that he wants #GloucesterCityOut if he is to take the job on full time. Spirit of Whaddon Rd must return.

IRWT COYR

"Paradise lost - Milton's epic tale

He used to line up with Socrates, now he is at home in Cheltenham."

http://www.theguardian.com/football/200 ... ory.sport2" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Robin
I am led to believe Elliott will be back as assistant manager or part of the mgmt team. Heard this yesterday so this is not knee jerk.
Artemis
I think the Echo had it bang on earlier this week...just they couldn't reach an agreement on the terms of his departure so couldn't confirm it. Now they have. I also expect the board wanted him gone by tomorrow, to get a few more on the gate and prevent some potentially unsavoury scenes from the crowd. We also desperately need a win, so we may finally get lucky on the new manager bounce. I can't go tomorrow, which is a real shame, because the atmosphere should be good.
Edwards and J Milton will also have left I guess.

Expect to see Stevie E back next week, with Rusty alongside him and possibly with Ward overseeing playing matters.
I do hope we don't get to see the reaction if they fail to get us winning.
Last edited by Artemis on 13 Feb 2015, 11:04, edited 2 times in total.
Educated Bertie
Parting is such sweet sorrow :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uZ8DGTd2uPI

:lol: :lol:
London Exile
Ward, Elliott & R Milton, I think that trio can galvanise the players, get the best out if them and most importantly, get us some points on the board.
Tomorrow should see an enthusiastic crowd again fully behind the players and manager
Lonely goat-herd
Hopefully Russell Milton is someone we can all unite behind. COYR :)
Alf
duckers wrote::D !

This is what we have missed, a manager with warm charisma.. http://www.theguardian.com/football/foo ... o-unbeaten" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I'm sorry to say that Buckle comes across like he is a d!ck

Get Steve Elliott back in charge until the end of the season.
Cotts came in for some real bad mouthing on Bristol City fans forums when he first took over, before a ball had been kicked in some cases. He wasn't 'big enough' for their club. It was only because he was a mate of the chairman, what had he ever done as a manager etc; etc; and that was some of the more repeatable stuff! Now they think he's a god. Fickle old game football. I just hope we can find someone as good.
Robin
We absolutely need Ward back he is exactly teh sort of interim person we want for teh remainder of the season, I know he left on a sour note but most would forgive that now I am sure.
Fuller
Robin wrote:We absolutely need Ward back he is exactly teh sort of interim person we want for teh remainder of the season, I know he left on a sour note but most would forgive that now I am sure.
Don't forget Wardy was at Brizzle Rovers when they got relegated last season, been out of the game since then I suspect. Think he was Director of Football or something.

How about Yatesy back ? Or John Murphy ?

Jerry no real Managerial experience but a good coach.

So many names to conjure :?:

But what does it matter what we think, only PB1 can make the decision ....
Artemis
PB1???? There's no PB2 anymore, so kindly revert to PB!
Darren Angels budgie
vickeryc wrote:I asl could well be right. Unfortunately, the way events have gone this week makes the club look a bit stupid even though it wasn't its fault that the Echo messed up so badly.
Think the Echo got it spot-on - can't see how they can be considered to have messed up in the slightest. They are a newspaper with a job to report the news as quickly as possible not PR for the football club.

I was never convinced with Buckle from the start but admit I got it badly wrong. I said when he took over he would be off back to USA in March - luckily he beat me by a couple of weeks.

Let's hope we're not calling Burton's chairman to ask his advice on the next manager.
Robin
Fuller wrote:
Robin wrote:We absolutely need Ward back he is exactly teh sort of interim person we want for teh remainder of the season, I know he left on a sour note but most would forgive that now I am sure.
Don't forget Wardy was at Brizzle Rovers when they got relegated last season, been out of the game since then I suspect. Think he was Director of Football or something.

Wardy took over from Buckle and turned them from relegation candidates to play off challengers, in his second safe they were mid-table when he left and then plummeted.
Andy
Edwards confirmed as gone now as well.
Robin
Edwards had a good reputation as a coach, was that really necessary?
Darren Angels budgie
Robin wrote:Edwards had a good reputation as a coach, was that really necessary?
So did North
cliffy90
Robin wrote:Edwards had a good reputation as a coach, was that really necessary?
Don't think his input was very helpful, look what happened to him at Tranmere as manager. Definitely not a tactical genius. What will happen with Buckle's lapdog, John Milton? There's only room for one Milton at this club.
RaymondDuck
Robin wrote:I am led to believe Elliott will be back as assistant manager or part of the mgmt team. Heard this yesterday so this is not knee jerk.
Well he was supposed to put pen for paper for Bath last night but didn't at the last minute. I guess we may see him back, I assume with boots on...
Robin
Not as I understand it, he will be assistant mgr for us was what I was told.
Fuller
Robin wrote:
Fuller wrote:

Wardy took over from Buckle and turned them from relegation candidates to play off challengers, in his second safe they were mid-table when he left and then plummeted.
Ward was "promoted" to Director of Football, the current Manager (Clarke ?) then took over, and Ward was sacked soon after they were relegated.
gava88
Robin wrote:
Fuller wrote:

Completely wrong!!!

Ward took over from Mcghee not Buckle and although the football wasn't great, he managed to bring us together and keep us up.

However last season he was the big part of the problem. He splashed most of the budget on John Joe O'Toole who couldn't be bothered. He played strikers and central midfielders on the wing and he was so, so negative. He signed strikers who can't score and Ward changed into a sour, old man who bottled out of the job. We lost 4-0 the week before he bottled out of the job and handed the reins to an inexperienced Clarke with 8 games to go where we were 20th (not mid table!) and 3 points offor relegation.

He could be a good short term fix possibly but surely there is someone better out there.
dedwardp
Robin wrote:Wardy took over from Buckle and turned them from relegation candidates to play off challengers, in his second safe they were mid-table when he left and then plummeted.
Rovers were three points above the drop in 20th when Ward left. He also left Colchester after one win in 21 league games prior to that.
Andy
Now is not the time for sentiment for old players, sentiment for old managers, the Board need to do this properly now and follow a full application and interview process.

I'm not saying that Milton / Elliot cannot do it and I wish them well or that Wardy is a bad choice to bring back, but after the farcical way in which the last appointment appear to be made, we really need to ensure its done properly now so that we get a good manager in.
Fuller
dedwardp wrote:
Robin wrote:Wardy took over from Buckle and turned them from relegation candidates to play off challengers, in his second safe they were mid-table when he left and then plummeted.
Rovers were three points above the drop in 20th when Ward left. He also left Colchester after one win in 21 league games prior to that.
Wardy didn't leave Rovers then. He was "promoted" to Director of Football, the current Manager (Clarke) then took over, and Ward was sacked as D of F soon after they were relegated.