Who is going to be the lucky club

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

51/84
Bury are gone

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/49451896" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

only 3 teams relegated to league 2 and 4 promoted
Only 1 team relegated from league 2
Who will be the escapee ie 2nd bottom

I feel really sorry for the Bury fans
Te powers at be have to look and see how do clubs get in this mess
Owners need to be properly vetted
I suspect there are lots of other teams that live beyond their means
I believe that CTFC struggle to stay within their means but then they struggle attracting players who want big money
Sky and their distribution needs to be sorted

I assume it will become a shopping centre
When chairmen poll their money or their companys money then they crash see Rushden

COYR
horlickfanclub
If Bolton go there will be no relegation from League Two. The interest and tension over dropping out of the League will be gone . This effect of the outcome of games will bedifferent. . The January transfer window will be very different with clubs having changed priorities.

The EFL should have sorted the issue of Bury and Bolton preseason as two divisions have now been messed about.

Sad news for Bury and Bolton fans.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
horlickfanclub wrote:If Bolton go there will be no relegation from League Two. The interest and tension over dropping out of the League will be gone . This effect of the outcome of games will bedifferent. . The January transfer window will be very different with clubs having changed priorities.

The EFL should have sorted the issue of Bury and Bolton preseason as two divisions have now been messed about.

No relegation could be a blessing as the teams near the bottom won’t have to overspend and take financial risks in January to try and survive.
Ihearye
horlickfanclub wrote:If Bolton go there will be no relegation from League Two. The interest and tension over dropping out of the League will be gone . This effect of the outcome of games will bedifferent. . The January transfer window will be very different with clubs having changed priorities.

Indeed, it would be a non season for half l2 if that was the situation. With just the promotion and playoffs to keep a handful of teams entertained. Luckily, we should be one of those.
Robin
I remember a few of us discussing how Bury were able to sign big name players like Maynard and Major on gates less than 3000 well now we know the answer. Apparently the previous owner was selling fictional parking spaces to Hong Kong business men and took out a multi-million pound mortgage on the ground well above it's realistic valuation. The reality is a handful of clubs like Bury, Notts County etc have been stuck in a boom or bust cycle for some time now so with a little luck this will be a wake up call for the others.

By the way apparently Bury had a player earning £5000 a week in league two last season all on gates comparable with ours, somehow I doubt we have anyone earning more than £2000 a week here.

As for relegation I'd imagine the usual suspects (Morecambe, Cambridge, Macclesfield etc.) will all be breathing a big sigh of relief that there will only be one spot this year.
Robin
If Bolton go (and I genuinely hope they don't) then I'd like to think we'd see 3 up from the conference and only one down rather than no relegation at all.
Red Duke
Robin wrote:I remember a few of us discussing how Bury were able to sign big name players like Maynard and Major on gates less than 3000 well now we know the answer. Apparently the previous owner was selling fictional parking spaces to Hong Kong business men and took out a multi-million pound mortgage on the ground well above it's realistic valuation. The reality is a handful of clubs like Bury, Notts County etc have been stuck in a boom or bust cycle for some time now so with a little luck this will be a wake up call for the others.

By the way apparently Bury had a player earning £5000 a week in league two last season all on gates comparable with ours, somehow I doubt we have anyone earning more than £2000 a week here.

As for relegation I'd imagine the usual suspects (Morecambe, Cambridge, Macclesfield etc.) will all be breathing a big sigh of relief that there will only be one spot this year.
Believe it was more like £10 K / week once all the bonuses were due after achieving promotion.
Shade
Robin wrote:If Bolton go (and I genuinely hope they don't) then I'd like to think we'd see 3 up from the conference and only one down rather than no relegation at all.
What I came here to say. I generally subscribe to the 2 up 2 down between L2 and the NL but for this season, if Bolton do go, I think they should offer an extra promotion spot.
longmover
what happens in the FA Cup? who does Bury's place go to?
Si Robin
No-one - the FA have said they're looking into what happens for the 1st round.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Si Robin wrote:No-one - the FA have said they're looking into what happens for the 1st round.
A bye, surely. Draw it out the hat with ‘bye’ taking Bury’s number. Whoever gets it doesn’t get Round 1 prize money.
Red Duke
When Man Utd couldn't play in FA Cup, they did a draw of all the teams knocked in the previous round and a lucky loser took their place.

I assume they will do the same again doing a draw from the losers in the 4th qualifying round.
plymrob
What, why? Loads of teams outside of the chosen leagues have failed and, arguably, been given little lee-way and been been shafted and reformed. Why sould we care more about Bury I(Besid e resperct for yhr loyal fans, whY IS THE MEDIA BALMING THE efl? the E
plymrob
Sorry, my previous post, on a different thread, hopefully showed some sense. More so than this one below.

My simple argument is that Bury and Bolton are not special cases. They have just been financially mismanaged. and should accept the consequences. The issue here is because they are Bury and Bolton so we should care more. Absolutely not. It is the owners responsibility and the EFL can not be all seeing... Discuss. (Hopefully articulated better this time around).
shevates
Im my view it dosnt matter who the clubs are be it Man utd or Macclesfield, they are put into such high unpayable debt by the people running the clubs who have unrealistic dreams, chasing glory. I feel gutted for the Bury supporters who love there club and have no say in how the chairman and the board put them in situation there in now. A tighter Audit of every club should be looked into by the EFL
Shade
All I'll say is thank God we have a board and not an outright owner. We should protest long and loud if anyone comes along wanting to buy the club outright rather than just investing money into the club and wanting a seat on the board.

Actually, I'll also say it is Bury's fault and not the EFL's or rich clubs for not helping them out. The fans must have known something was up. The ground had been sold, players being paid way too much for their attendances, etc etc, but I didn't hear of any protests on the scale of Blackpool vs the Oyston's when they were getting promoted last season. They buried their heads in the sand. I heard a Bolton fan on 5 Live last night. He does a fan podcast and has been covering the problems for the last 18 months. He said he was getting sick and tired of it and had lost his love of football. But, he said it didn't really kick home for him that they might actually be expelled from the EFL until Bury were. He said that was a shock as he didn't think the EFL would go through with it. Hopefully Bury will be the line in the sand and these owners will take notice and apathetic fans will question everything that feels wrong with their club if it doesn't seem to be in good hands.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Shade wrote:All I'll say is thank God we have a board and not an outright owner. We should protest long and loud if anyone comes along wanting to buy the club outright rather than just investing money into the club and wanting a seat on the board.

Actually, I'll also say it is Bury's fault and not the EFL's or rich clubs for not helping them out. The fans must have known something was up. The ground had been sold, players being paid way too much for their attendances, etc etc, but I didn't hear of any protests on the scale of Blackpool vs the Oyston's when they were getting promoted last season. They buried their heads in the sand. I heard a Bolton fan on 5 Live last night. He does a fan podcast and has been covering the problems for the last 18 months. He said he was getting sick and tired of it and had lost his love of football. But, he said it didn't really kick home for him that they might actually be expelled from the EFL until Bury were. He said that was a shock as he didn't think the EFL would go through with it. Hopefully Bury will be the line in the sand and these owners will take notice and apathetic fans will question everything that feels wrong with their club if it doesn't seem to be in good hands.
Bury fans were even worse than that. They were so oblivious (or knowingly supportive) that they turned out and cheered on the team as they cheated their way to promotion.

Hereford fans still the best imo. The way they protested against Fat Tommy until the club was shut down was admirable. Yes it meant restarting in tier 9 or wherever but the fans knew that getting control of the team and stadium back was more important than trying to stay at the level they were at in the National League. It takes a truly loyal and honest fan to do that and they get my support much more than fans who enable crooked owners by going to matches and supporting players signed with dirty money.
longmover
plymrob wrote:What, why? Loads of teams outside of the chosen leagues have failed and, arguably, been given little lee-way and been been shafted and reformed. Why sould we care more about Bury I(Besid e resperct for yhr loyal fans, whY IS THE MEDIA BALMING THE efl? the E
Because Bolton are ex premier league and Bury have a class of '92 connection (and both north west), if this was say Walsall and Cambridge they wouldn't receive half as much coverage or outcry.

Some of the comments from premier league 'fans' on this issue are beyond belief, don't worry it will soon be the weekend and they can go back to armchair and 7izz off over Mo Salah and Paul Van D1ck face.