A display of withering ineptitude

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

Ben3
The result and performance last night really hurt. The reason for this, for me at least, was the way it appeared out of nowhere. We all know the team has over performed this season and most of us take the strengths and weaknesses of the team for what they are: the normal run of the mill for fourth tier football. We are not Barcelona but we are a good, solid unit. Until last night.

Raglan has barely lost a header all season and I would make him player of the season. Last night I don't think he won a single header, and towards the middle of the second half looked completely bewildered when the camera panned in. Boyle was woeful, it's a test of his character now to see if he can come back from such a horror show. I hope he can and will be willing him on to come back stronger.

The midfield...what midfield?!?!?! First half Doyle Hayes and Thomas barely touched the ball and so Northampton just had complete control of every second ball. Even if one of our back three made a challenge it dropped to one of three NTFC players who had time and space to do as they wished. Broom is the single most over rated player I've ever seen...he can whip in a mean cross every now and again but yesterday was MIA.

Going forward was equally inept, Smith and May hardly getting a touch and balls being fired over them to the waiting defence. Addai looked lively for his cameo. I'd make Ince our Motm, but I'm concerned I'm only doing this because he played in midfield and he touched the ball occasionally

The most disappointing thing was that we saved our worst performance of many years for the most important game. If I was going to give player ratings, the starting 11 would not score more than 2 each, and that isn't me being harsh they were all individually and collectively appalling. People on here know I'm an optimist and a defender of the players from hyperbole but I'm sure the players themselves would acknowledge that was completely diabolical.

Oh well, football is dead to me but I am sure, like Dionysus hewn from Zeus' mighty thigh, my love for the game will be reborn having been torn apart by the capricious fates
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
It’s bin day this morning for me. So my Ruby 125th anniversary shirt, which I was wearing last night, will be on the way to the tip now after I binned it in a fit of pique.

I might regret it in the future but it is a shirt shrouded in negatives so I feel a little bit cleansed having chucked it.
Nesty
the cardboard figures in the paddock would have put in a better show than that.
longmover
A concerning trend under Duff is the failure to turn up to the big games, FGR, Plymouth and (Port Vale in the cup). When a big performance is expected we disappear its quite spectacular that a team of professional players and coaching staff can just check out on the big occasion.

somebody should undertake a study on this
Si Robin
I think that's a bit harsh - for Plymouth at home see Plymouth away. For Port Vale in the cup, see Swindon in the cup replay. For last night see Thursday's fantastically professional performance.

I get that last night was galling, but there's a lot of knee-jerk reactions going on to it. If that performance had occurred earlier in the season we'd be peed off but we'd move on. It's a sorry shame that the worst performance of the season would come in the most important game, but that's football. The players and staff will be hurting from this, and some of those players won't get a chance to rectify it. Those who are still here though need to know that they have our support.

They've given us our best season in years and, had the season concluded as it should have done, there's every chance we'd have been celebrating automatic promotion against Salford on the last day of the season back in April. That we weren't and that we're so disappointed now is a shame, but it really isn't the end of the World.

I can't wait for season tickets to go on sale. This team has a bright future and I can't wait to give them my backing.
Chris FGR
Thought that up until yesterday you were clearly the best of the 4 teams and expected you to go up, unfortunately given the 100 day break inconsistent results were always likely especially with home advantage pretty much disappearing.

Still, you have a very decent squad and manager and I'd expect you to be challenging for the auto's if you can keep them together.
Ihearye
Si Robin wrote:I think that's a bit harsh - for Plymouth at home see Plymouth away. For Port Vale in the cup, see Swindon in the cup replay. For last night see Thursday's fantastically professional performance.

I get that last night was galling, but there's a lot of knee-jerk reactions going on to it. If that performance had occurred earlier in the season we'd be peed off but we'd move on. It's a sorry shame that the worst performance of the season would come in the most important game, but that's football. The players and staff will be hurting from this, and some of those players won't get a chance to rectify it. Those who are still here though need to know that they have our support.

They've given us our best season in years and, had the season concluded as it should have done, there's every chance we'd have been celebrating automatic promotion against Salford on the last day of the season back in April. That we weren't and that we're so disappointed now is a shame, but it really isn't the end of the World.

I can't wait for season tickets to go on sale. This team has a bright future and I can't wait to give them my backing.
Jaysus, they need to know they have our support ????? Are you suggesting grief counselling? Nobody died. What did happen was 10 (won't include Owen or subs), adults turned up to do the job they are paid for and totally bottled it from 2 -11. All they needed in the way of support was a plastic bag to carry their backbones home in.
It is easy to come up with the old 'knee jerk' cliche. You hit the nail on the head, we can't move on. The entire season depended on last night and another 90 minutes next Monday. But they didn't have the courage or balls to even put up a fight. I have never once complained about a team having a lack of ability, as long as they left nothing on the pitch while trying to match the opposition. Last night there was zero effort. At half time I asked why Boyle was still on the pitch. He was woeful in first half and got worse in second. As others have said, midfield not even competing for the ball. When as it was often said 'we knew what was coming'. The regulars should have had the balls to step up. After 20 minutes, Ince should have been on, I had seen enough by that time to know our regulars were not up for it.
Throughout the season we have seen glimpses of last night, but we usually limited it to one half and fought to get out of it. Maybe they needed a crowd there to remind them just how bad they were last night.
They have enjoyed the plaudits many times this season, well now they can suffer the harsh words after serving up that capitulation
Si Robin
You're right. That performance last night was a disgrace.

Fire them all - Duff's a s#!t manager. Boyle, Tozer, Raglan - sod that they had the best defensive record in the whole Football League, they're a disgrace and should never play for the club again. It doesn't matter how many goals Alfie May scored - not performing last night means he's not fit to wear the shirt again!!!
Ihearye
Si Robin wrote:You're right. That performance last night was a disgrace.

Fire them all - Duff's a s#!t manager. Boyle, Tozer, Raglan - sod that they had the best defensive record in the whole Football League, they're a disgrace and should never play for the club again. It doesn't matter how many goals Alfie May scored - not performing last night means he's not fit to wear the shirt again!!!
Your words, nobody else's that I have read on here.
Maybe you best pop down and give them all a virtual cuddle. Its what they need right now.
Either that or they read the harsh reality. So it's OK for Boyle to say they all bottled it from teh first minute, but nobody else can ? Also, he has scored 6 league goals, lets not get too carried away.
Si Robin
No-one is saying last night was good by any stretch of the imagination. I'm saying we need to move forward.

The players will want to make up for last night and we should support them going forward. Giving them grief isn't going to change the result or performance from last night.

It could be worse - we could be Macclesfield and not have a clue if we have a club to support from month to month.

But no - we could just moan about one shite performance ad infinitum. That'll make things better.
Robin
The biggest fear for me is that is incredibly hard for the players and fans to come back from. It was simply so unexpected and crushing to confidence.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Don’t waste your time Si. Ihearye has made up his mind it seems. Maybe it is one of the stages of grief as everyone reacts in their own way, or maybe he just doesn’t have much compassion and wants the players to feel depressed and never get over it.

Good to see you reflecting positively. I am not there yet but welcome seeing your outlook.

I don’t care if Boyle plays for us next season. If he does I don’t know if I will be at matches to watch. But I know if I can face watching football again I will be roaring him on with encouragement and support.

The sickener for me is that next season we can guarantee that Sunderland, Ipswich and whoever will get promoted so even if we do go up next time round we will miss out on those big fixtures. I really don’t know if I can stomach watching L2 knowing what could and should have been.
Ihearye
Si Robin wrote:No-one is saying last night was good by any stretch of the imagination. I'm saying we need to move forward.

The players will want to make up for last night and we should support them going forward. Giving them grief isn't going to change the result or performance from last night.

It could be worse - we could be Macclesfield and not have a clue if we have a club to support from month to month.

But no - we could just moan about one shite performance ad infinitum. That'll make things better.
I never really subscribed to the - cheer up your life may be $shitty but someone elses is even more $hitty - approach. I said at half time Boyle should have been off, so it's not knee jerk. Since follopwing CTFC since 1985 I have seen some great teams and some poor teams. The poor teams I could liove with because by and large they put up a fight. Let any dog bite once.
Take iot giving them praise is equally out, or is it a one way street?
Enough said, Roll on a new team and whenever next season starts. Though I think bar those being released we will have the same squad back next year. Can't see too many higher clubs knocking at the door after last night
Andrew GCAFC Fan
A 2-0 first leg scoreline is always a funny lead. If you score again, Game Over, if the Opposition score, they are back in the game. On GMB this morning, Suzanna Reid asked Piers Morgan if he enjoyed the game last night. Did Donald Trump, Phil Mitchell or Dale Vince express an interest in a CTFC 2020/21 Season Ticket?
Mark Corrigan
Robin wrote:The biggest fear for me is that is incredibly hard for the players and fans to come back from. It was simply so unexpected and crushing to confidence.
Teams have suffered worse and come back from it.

Remember Forest in 2007. Second season in League 1. Expecting promotion. Yeovil in the semi finals, who'd been a non league side four years previously. They win the away leg 2-0. So difficult away leg navigated now for a home game at their own stadium in front of their own fans. Against a team they'd be heavy favourites to beat....and they lose 5-2. Imagine how much that must have hurt. Next season I do believe they won the league...with one of Yeovil's best players.

PSG throwing it away in the Champions League against Barcelona and Man United, Barcelona throwing it away against Roma and Liverpool.

Leeds 2-0 up on aggregate nearing half time of their home leg against Derby and looking comfortable and then what happened.

It happens, we take the hit, we learn from it and continue to improve.