Apathy

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

triggo
Whats happening then ?
Here we are -top of the league.
5 points ahead of 4th place.
Arguably one of the best ever seasons !
....where is the interest ?
same old three or four posters on here !!
Cant be just down to lockdown.

to give you a good example - 2 pages of msgs, re yesterdays game, which was one of the best perfomances of the season.
Ex web , the Exeter forum had 32 pages ?

Just one question ... why ?
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
triggo wrote:Whats happening then ?

to give you a good example - 2 pages of msgs, re yesterdays game, which was one of the best perfomances of the season.

I could fill 32 pages but would get slated :lol:

In all seriousness though I agree. Especially in-play. I assume most posters are watching on iFollow, so surprised there is no more in-play chat.

Maybe it is nerves? I would hope that if we get to a situation where a victory gets us promoted that all posters, regular and occasional would be posting during the match.

There is certainly more activity on Twitter than on here during games.
Nesty
how many watch it on ufollow? I listen to Radio and have to make judgements on what I hear. It has always been the case on most message boards that people moan when things go wrong yet not always praise when things go well. best example of this is TripAdvisor
Hubert Parry
Also, I think our fan base prefer to nest on social media.
PittvillePundit
Relatively new contributor on here and, compared to most I expect, a relatively new fan. About 7/8 years since I moved to Cheltenham post divorce having previously been in the Forest (Dean not Rovers). When there attended a few games and kept up a casual interest but family, work etc conspired against regular attendance. To be honest my emotional connection with the club has grown significantly and has somewhat surprised me being a Chelsea supporter since childhood (still am, but the PL is so "remote").

Anyway now children grown up, retired, live five mins from ground so plenty of opportunity to indulge. Been going regularly last few seasons (not this lol) and season ticket next season I think. Watch most games this year on i follow.

So some thoughts. I think this is a proper community club; good values; well run. It's apparent the recruitment process is first class (all Duff but no duff). Duff himself will doubtless be destined for bigger things in the future and he deserves it.

Last season ended most disappointingly obviously but that's the rub at L2 level. There's a competitive balance and it just so happened possibly the worst performance of the year came on the most important day of the season. Possibly however a blessing in disguise? L1 would have been very difficult this season - may be next season too but an extra year of Duff's influence may benefit.

Some of the contributions on here after a defeat are disappointing. Aside from Barrow away which was dreadful I can't think of another abject display. To suggest "not up for it" after defeat but "right at it after a win are, in isolation, naïve. There's another L2 team out on that pitch with, generally, a comparable playing ability levels. Margins are small. Yesterday's win at Exeter could easily have been a 1 0 defeat. Some performances have deserved a win/draw but not got it. It happens.

I'm pretty hopeful of promotion and can confidently say this is the best team I've seen since being a regular attendee. Champions? Perhaps.

In summary , from the perspective of a "newcomer" honestly ALL Robin's fans you have a lot to be pleased about. And hey ho, a strong possibility of attending L1 football next year.

COYR!
asl
You're right about the apathy: attendances are well down on previous seasons.
longmover

Eh? Your bio says you joined in 2010 and have posted 370 times, apathy in a nutshell.
asl
longmover wrote:Your bio says you joined in 2010 and have posted 370 times, apathy in a nutshell.
That's barely a month of RCS...
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
asl wrote:
longmover wrote:Your bio says you joined in 2010 and have posted 370 times, apathy in a nutshell.
That's barely a month of RCS...
With such a dominant promotion-bound team, those countdown, rival and bookmaker threads need a lot of updating!
art vandalay
I‘m sure there are a number of people like myself who use the forum to help stay informed and certainly welcome reading the opinions of others, but simply have nothing to contribute. I haven‘t watched a single league game this season and wouldn‘t recognise any of this season‘s signings if they were standing next to me. For me it‘s all about standing on the terraces amongst familiar faces and experiencing the highs & lows in person. If I can‘t do that, I‘d rather get out the house and watch a non-League game somewhere. As much as I want us to do well, sitting on my backside and streaming a game just doesn‘t particularly appeal.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
art vandalay wrote:I‘m sure there are a number of people like myself who use the forum to help stay informed and certainly welcome reading the opinions of others, but simply have nothing to contribute. I haven‘t watched a single league game this season and wouldn‘t recognise any of this season‘s signings if they were standing next to me. For me it‘s all about standing on the terraces amongst familiar faces and experiencing the highs & lows in person. If I can‘t do that, I‘d rather get out the house and watch a non-League game somewhere. As much as I want us to do well, sitting on my backside and streaming a game just doesn‘t particularly appeal.
That’s understandable and each to their own.

For me, I have never watched as many CTFC games in a season as I have this. The Tuesday night iFollow games whilst WatsApping friends who are also watching has become one of the best rituals of lockdown...one of the things I most look forward to!
Hubert Parry
^ this.

I will miss iFollow when it goes.
Si Robin
This place has never been the busiest and in recent years it's gained a bit of a reputation for it's negativity.

As HP also stated, we have a much higher following on Twitter.
HamTown
Hubert Parry wrote:^ this.

I will miss iFollow when it goes.
Is it not staying?
milestones
I’ve been reading this message board (with not always the same user name) pretty much every day since Nesty started it somewhere around 1994 - what was the actual year Nesty?
Have been there and seen it all - Longlevens, Wembley, Rushden , Cardiff etc, etc – sadly didn’t get to Bashley though.
Have watched matches regularly from the Paddock for more years that I can remember – and have actually won the 500 club prize draw a couple of times.

In all that time I have only managed about 50 posts (avatar says 31, but there was an unwanted break in my membership).
But there are probably a few more like me, who do read the various posts with great interest.
Could do better than 50 posts? – yes I suppose so - but apathy? – I don't like to think so.
Shade
From what I can remember it used to be a lot busier on here but a certain few posters drove a lot of people away, those who could no longer be arsed being attacked for their positive opinions. There was the war of the "rose-tinters" (back in the Yates era?), and I don't think the board has really recovered since then. As Si says, it got a reputation as a negative place and the likes of Mark Halliwell, who mentioned several times on the radio about deluded people on the RNF around the time he stopped posting, and more fled the Nest never to return. Used to get fans of other clubs coming on before games with their "banter" as well but that doesn't seem to happen anymore.

While we're talking about the forum, why have we still got 2019 summer transfer, pre season, etc, sticky threads? :lol:
asl
Shade wrote:While we're talking about the forum, why have we still got 2019 summer transfer, pre season, etc, sticky threads? :lol:

What?
asl
My memory of those days was that a number of people on here held a different opinion on how things were going to that held by Hector (MH.) An argument ensued and toys were thrown out of prams and MH quit. I believe the contentious point was MH describing a lengthy run of p1ss-poor performances and results that matched, as - and I quote - "a blip."

Alas, not everyone shared his view that things were all okay and all we had to do was ignore the evidence of the last dozen or more games and accept that all would be okay sometime in the future. Neither side of the 'discussion' could accept that the others had a valid opinion, so he left. Yes, there were more posters who believed our run of form was a problem - presumably, that's what made The Nest a "hot-bed of toxic negativity."

Others may disagree.
Ralph
asl wrote:My memory of those days was that a number of people on here held a different opinion on how things were going to that held by Hector (MH.) An argument ensued and toys were thrown out of prams and MH quit. I believe the contentious point was MH describing a lengthy run of p1ss-poor performances and results that matched, as - and I quote - "a blip."

Alas, not everyone shared his view that things were all okay and all we had to do was ignore the evidence of the last dozen or more games and accept that all would be okay sometime in the future. Neither side of the 'discussion' could accept that the others had a valid opinion, so he left. Yes, there were more posters who believed our run of form was a problem - presumably, that's what made The Nest a "hot-bed of toxic negativity."

Others may disagree.
This ^^^

There are a few that have thrown toys out the pram over the years and left (announcing it as they did so) trying to make out they were some kind of martyr. MH is not the only one. Others have just gone over time. It is what it is. The Nest has never been a posting hotbed.

Re Ifollow - is it going to go once crowds are back in the UK? I'd expect it to stay as a revenue stream for clubs. It works. I've been using it for 4 or maybe 5 seasons here in the US. It will still be operating for overseas fans
Ralph
longmover wrote:

Eh? Your bio says you joined in 2010 and have posted 370 times, apathy in a nutshell.
:lol: :lol: :lol:
robinsrule
I have thought the same thing as the OP many times - I also noticed recently that Exeter have 400 comments for a match thread and we’ll get 40. I read more than I comment on here, but we do have a very low profile as a club. I wondered whether there was another message board I didn’t know about.

Anyway, we are having a great season so far but it’s so tight at the top that any slip could be hugely costly. Bolton look like the most likely champions to me but hopefully we will be up there til the end and can return to watch League 1 footie at WR next year!
Ben3
I would have thought it is obvious that the board is more popular when we lose than when we are doing well. That used to really annoy me but over the years I have come to realise a lot of interactive forums and social media sites actually perform a very useful social service, allowing angry people to vent their spleen in a safe manner. This site is not different and it's noticeable that certain posters only get involved to bemoan bad results. I guess all football forums are the same

And yes, the Yates issue, where a moaning minority on this board led directly to Yates leaving, which in turn led directly to our relegation (there is 0% chance we'd have been relegated with Yates at the helm) was a low point for this forum, the sport of football, and society as a whole. A few on her with an agenda drove out an excellent manager. Sad times...but we all have to move on I guess. Years of therapy have helped me to do so and become the well adjusted individual I am today
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Ben3 wrote:I would have thought it is obvious that the board is more popular when we lose than when we are doing well. That used to really annoy me but over the years I have come to realise a lot of interactive forums and social media sites actually perform a very useful social service, allowing angry people to vent their spleen in a safe manner. This site is not different and it's noticeable that certain posters only get involved to bemoan bad results. I guess all football forums are the same

And yes, the Yates issue, where a moaning minority on this board led directly to Yates leaving, which in turn led directly to our relegation (there is 0% chance we'd have been relegated with Yates at the helm) was a low point for this forum, the sport of football, and society as a whole. A few on her with an agenda drove out an excellent manager. Sad times...but we all have to move on I guess. Years of therapy have helped me to do so and become the well adjusted individual I am today
Well done Ben. I have not been able to move on to processing Yates’s hounding out yet. Like many of my fellow ‘tinters who were bullied off this forum, I am still coming to terms with the contrived media campaign against Martin and Monty which turned the tide of opinion against two of the best characters ever involved with our (their) club.

It was around that time when MH left that I really began to, unavoidably, up my post count. Every time a ‘tinter was forced to leave the forum, I had to start posting on their behalf. At times I was having to provide the balance of views that ten former posters would have provided, like Indiana Jones in the pit of snakes.
Si Robin
robinsrule wrote:I have thought the same thing as the OP many times - I also noticed recently that Exeter have 400 comments for a match thread and we’ll get 40. I read more than I comment on here, but we do have a very low profile as a club. I wondered whether there was another message board I didn’t know about.

Anyway, we are having a great season so far but it’s so tight at the top that any slip could be hugely costly. Bolton look like the most likely champions to me but hopefully we will be up there til the end and can return to watch League 1 footie at WR next year!
There used to be CTFCTalk, but it was never very busy and tended to comprise of people from here.

Ultimately, message boards in the main are dying. Social Media, and all it's toxicity, appear to be taking over.
51/84
Dont forget that the RNF was seen by the last chairman as poisonous

We now seem to have a good relationship with the OS and always uptodate with JPs click bait
COYR
I have read this forum for many years and posted occasionally under various handles, by the time I've waned to send a new message i generally cannot remember my login I.D and require a refresh.

Anyway for me this place doesn't have a particularly fantastic reputation, opposing opinions are not always welcome and punctuation and spelling errors are quickly pointed out.

But the biggest influence to fewer posts on here has to be due to the increased footfall of users on twitter and facebook, these platforms do very well on a match day in particular. There is still a place for this type of forum, i wonder how many fans from a younger generation even know of the RNF and perhaps it needs advertising on social media?
HamTown
Ralph wrote:
asl wrote:Re Ifollow - is it going to go once crowds are back in the UK? I'd expect it to stay as a revenue stream for clubs. It works. I've been using it for 4 or maybe 5 seasons here in the US. It will still be operating for overseas fans
I really hope it stays. I don't live in Cheltenham anymore and haven't watched a live game in years (a shocking admission) but have always read the RNF to keep up to date and quite often followed them on JPs live text then covid came along and started streaming both for my sanity in lockdown and helping the club out by putting some money in.

Without ifollow I'd feel a bit of a fraud in posting opinions without putting any financial support in, particularly at the moment when I am financially able to (granted not everyone is in this position).

Also a small sidepoint when I registered late last year the signup question of "who the current manager is" was still Johnson and not Duff which might have been a block to a few new posters
asl
I'm 90% certain Admin changed the registration question when it was pointed out a few months back.
longmover
The club has never and will never have a 'potentially huge' following unlike other established lower league teams which go in hand with online presence also alot of younger fans would consider an online forum the same as writing a letter, ancient. i've always taken the internet and forums with a pinch of salt, just be grateful its here unofficial and not censored.
Shade
Maybe the future is social media integration - post here and it can be auto-copied to your facebook and/or twitter feed...I'm sure that would be nice, simple and cost/time effective to set up :P

All I can say for sure is that it isn't as bad as it once was on here. No longer will you be called out for a few spelling mistakes, as long as what you post is actually coherent. I first posted on here a couple of years before I started regularly posting, and gave up after that one post because so many people were unwelcoming and "toxic" it wasn't worth posting again. I think 2014-15, when we got relegated, it wasn't even as bad on here then as it was a year or two earlier. Heated debate and "banter"/playful mocking, sure, but generally there's a bit more respect of differing opinions now.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Shade wrote:Maybe the future is social media integration - post here and it can be auto-copied to your facebook and/or twitter feed...I'm sure that would be nice, simple and cost/time effective to set up :P

All I can say for sure is that it isn't as bad as it once was on here. No longer will you be called out for a few spelling mistakes, as long as what you post is actually coherent. I first posted on here a couple of years before I started regularly posting, and gave up after that one post because so many people were unwelcoming and "toxic" it wasn't worth posting again. I think 2014-15, when we got relegated, it wasn't even as bad on here then as it was a year or two earlier. Heated debate and "banter"/playful mocking, sure, but generally there's a bit more respect of differing opinions now.
The forum improved massively the day SuperKoz was banned. Shame it was a couple of years too late.

Re spelling, I do not give two hoots anymore though I certainly used to be a tit about it. But compared to other forums the writing is high quality on here.
asl
There have been several 'other' message boards over the years - but none have lasted like The Nest. By and large, i believe the majority of posters are civil - whether they agree or disagree with others. The most contentious posts tend to be in the Non-Footy section.

Edit: yes, banning SuperKoz might well have been the catalyst for the change !
Malabus
There is a bullying element on this forum. Its the same old usual poster(s) and the moderators do nothing about it. I don't visit much these days.
Nham68
I used to post a lot. Especially after returning from WR after a game . It was part of the ritual.
Somehow , it’s not the same having been sat for 2hrs watching iFollow . Cannot put my finger on it , just I don’t find the nest an attractive space to spend time .
Maybe some new approaches like polls after the game could be interesting to participate in and stimulate comment .
COYR
Nham68 wrote:I used to post a lot. Especially after returning from WR after a game . It was part of the ritual.
Somehow , it’s not the same having been sat for 2hrs watching iFollow . Cannot put my finger on it , just I don’t find the nest an attractive space to spend time .
Maybe some new approaches like polls after the game could be interesting to participate in and stimulate comment .
I'd agree with the above, for many this interaction still happens but on ctfc social media platforms.