Striker signs new deal

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

Jon Palmer
Anteros
Great news. Real statement of intent by club!
Fuller
Nice place to live is Cheltenham….

Now start putting those one on ones in the back of the net Alfie boy!
HamTown
Pleased and kind of surprised

Boyle next, you know it makes sense
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Fantastic. Duff is such a fantastic influence on players. And superb commitment by Alfie as well. Can’t wait for the next goal vs Man City.

Plus, if a bigger club wants him then they need to pay a wedge now.
Shade
When you see a player as visibly gutted about conceding a late equaliser as Alfie was at full time on Saturday you wonder whether he is pissed off and will be looking to leave, or if he just cares that much. Very glad it appears to be the latter and that we don't have another Hussey situation, as that could have started a worrying trend.

Well done to the board for presumably backing the manager again (assuming the finances are all in order, as I'm sure they are!)
HamTown
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote: 19 Jan 2022, 18:55 Plus, if a bigger club wants him then they need to pay a wedge now.
Unless there's a release clause we haven't be told about of course...
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
HamTown wrote: 19 Jan 2022, 20:13
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote: 19 Jan 2022, 18:55 Plus, if a bigger club wants him then they need to pay a wedge now.
Unless there's a release clause we haven't be told about of course...
Which is hopefully a wedge.
art vandalay
Great news, a really exciting player.
Fuller
Shade wrote: 19 Jan 2022, 19:16 When you see a player as visibly gutted about conceding a late equaliser as Alfie was at full time on Saturday you wonder whether he is pissed off and will be looking to leave, or if he just cares that much. Very glad it appears to be the latter and that we don't have another Hussey situation, as that could have started a worrying trend.

Well done to the board for presumably backing the manager again (assuming the finances are all in order, as I'm sure they are!)
There was an interview with David Bloxham on Radio Glos on Saturday saying how positive the financial position is at the club atm, certainly with regard to footballing matters. Stick a few key words into Google and you can listen again if you didn’t hear it. The club comes under some stick for off field matters and often rightly so, but they do seem to be doing the best they can on it.
longmover
I'm going against the grain here but don't think he's all that at this level, he gets a lot of praise from fans about his passion and 'that goal' he scored against Man City but his finishing is league 2 consistency, he's had plenty of chances to score or set up that vital 2nd goal in the last three games but made a mess of it. I get the feeling that what you see from AM at the moment is it and its not good enough for league 1. I'd love to be proven wrong but I get the feeling he'll be gone in the summer or next Jan.
Last edited by longmover on 19 Jan 2022, 22:18, edited 1 time in total.
asl
I said similar at the end of last season, longmover. I firmly believe we need better and Alfie, much as I love him, should be third choice.

Sent from my SM-G9860 using Tapatalk

little mo
Really pleased he is staying. Well done Alfie.
Ben version 4:0
longmover wrote: 19 Jan 2022, 22:06 I'm going against the grain here but don't think he's all that at this level, he gets a lot of praise from fans about his passion and 'that goal' he scored against Man City but his finishing is league 2 consistency, he's had plenty of chances to score or set up that vital 2nd goal in the last three games but made a mess of it. I get the feeling that what you see from AM at the moment is it and its not good enough for league 1. I'd love to be proven wrong but I get the feeling he'll be gone in the summer or next Jan.
I disagree. His finishing is poor and he misses too many chances - but given his all round game he is a huge asset to the team and his personality good for the squad. We need a goal scorer and have done since Mo left...but that's isn't May's fault any more than it is Boyle's
Horteng
Great news. Hopefully that will lift Duffo a bit as well with a fair few leaving.

Onwards and upwards. Hopefully Alfie can bang another 10 in between now and the end of the season
longmover
Ben version 4:0 wrote: 20 Jan 2022, 06:52
longmover wrote: 19 Jan 2022, 22:06 I'm going against the grain here but don't think he's all that at this level, he gets a lot of praise from fans about his passion and 'that goal' he scored against Man City but his finishing is league 2 consistency, he's had plenty of chances to score or set up that vital 2nd goal in the last three games but made a mess of it. I get the feeling that what you see from AM at the moment is it and its not good enough for league 1. I'd love to be proven wrong but I get the feeling he'll be gone in the summer or next Jan.
I disagree. His finishing is poor and he misses too many chances - but given his all round game he is a huge asset to the team and his personality good for the squad. We need a goal scorer and have done since Mo left...but that's isn't May's fault any more than it is Boyle's
Not seen anything in the last three home games that his all round game is an asset tbh, runs into dead ends and never picks the quick pass as holds the ball too long, so as an attacking player (no.10) in league 1 he's coming up short. Reminds me of Billy Waters.
Nesty
Great News - you can see he gives 100% every game, yes I wish he scored more goals but his contribution is there for all to see
Shade
longmover wrote: 20 Jan 2022, 09:38
Ben version 4:0 wrote: 20 Jan 2022, 06:52
Not seen anything in the last three home games that his all round game is an asset tbh, runs into dead ends and never picks the quick pass as holds the ball too long, so as an attacking player (no.10) in league 1 he's coming up short. Reminds me of Billy Waters.
Lord knows I've slagged Alfie off on here during matches quite a few times for making bad decisions and not passing when he should, or fudging what should have been fairly straightforward one-on-ones, but he is still our top scorer this season and if you think we are going to be able to bring better in that aren't loans at this stage then you're crazy. Plus, there seems to be some early signs of a decent partnership between him and Nlundulu.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
I am trusting Pep’s view on this one.
Broadway Brian
Shade wrote:
longmover wrote: 20 Jan 2022, 09:38
Ben version 4:0 wrote: 20 Jan 2022, 06:52 I disagree. His finishing is poor and he misses too many chances - but given his all round game he is a huge asset to the team and his personality good for the squad. We need a goal scorer and have done since Mo left...but that's isn't May's fault any more than it is Boyle's
Lord knows I've slagged Alfie off on here during matches quite a few times for making bad decisions and not passing when he should, or fudging what should have been fairly straightforward one-on-ones, but he is still our top scorer this season and if you think we are going to be able to bring better in that aren't loans at this stage then you're crazy. Plus, there seems to be some early signs of a decent partnership between him and Nlundulu.
100% agreed. There’s been no semblance of a partnership / understanding between any combination all season until these last 2 matches.

And the triangle of Dan - Alfie - CW really tested Charlton on Saturday.

If he could finish a 1 on 1 with regularity, he’d likely be at a higher level.
Nesty
Fuller wrote: 19 Jan 2022, 18:41 Nice place to live is Cheltenham….

Now start putting those one on ones in the back of the net Alfie boy!
even nicer where Alfie lives!!
Mike1953
Delighted that Alfie is staying. I like a grafter who runs and runs for 90 minutes or so. He reminds me of Billy Waters, another favourite. Duff speaks highly of Alfie and continues to improve his performances. I am optimistic that his goal scoring tally will not disappoint.
shevates
Couldnt hit a Cows arse with a Banjo lol
how many this season ?????
Shade
shevates wrote: 19 Feb 2022, 19:44 Couldnt hit a Cows arse with a Banjo lol
Something like 7 in 28 and 8 in the last 4 :lol:
Glad I was sticking up for him in this thread... :D
shevates
He is the leading goal scorer of away goals in our Division scoring 11 of his 15 goals on the road. He lays joint 4th leading scorer, a great return for a striker with a team in mid table. The only other Striker who impresses me more is Stockton at Morecambe who has netted 18 league goals with a side in the relegation zone. Im sure at this present time Im sure the likes of Ipswich, Charlton, Sheffield Wednesday Bolton, would love a striker with 15 league goals. I for one am chuffed hes signed his deal with us, he could be a valuable asset financially, but just as valuable on the pitch. Yes I cant argue hes missed a number of one on ones, but so must of the likes of Stewart, Stockton, and Taylor
everyman
That cow has a sore ass today and the strings on Alfies bango are twanging !!
Broadway Brian
everyman wrote:
That cow has a sore ass today and the strings on Alfies bango are twanging !!
If he was 50% more clinical over the past couple of seasons he wouldn’t be here.

Given his exploits since signing a new contract, he may not be here for long as it is.

He’s a joy to watch, even when he’s missing one on one’s and ballsing up short corners. No defenders get an easy game with him and he plays the game with such passion.

Gifted in the arts of s***housery as well.

He’s come into his own since Crowley left, and Etete seems to be a great foil for him. A partnership at long last although him and Nlundlulu was also looking promising.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk