Play Offs next season

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Calling it now. We will sneak in to the L1 play offs next season.
Zaffer
Just remember - ‘disappointment is only over expectation’
HamTown
Big task over the summer first to replace our loans aswell as Boyle and Sercs (assuming they both leave)
longmover
We would need to splash the £££££ (for a much bigger and better squad) to get anywhere near the playoffs (and stay there) and just think we don't have that money.
Warwickshire Robin
Love your optimism RCS! If we had hung on to half the points we have thrown away from winning positions we could still have had a sniff this season!

Big summer ahead to get there though. Main thing is to hang on to the manager, keep MD in charge and we could have a decent go. Other than one or two teams it seems a pretty even division all the way down. A bit of luck and fair wind (and a fair referee or two) and who knows!
theidlerich
Creative thoughts....i'll ponder after the chelt crickt festival!
Robin
I like the optimism but I'd feel a top half finish is probably a more realistic and achievable ambition. Either that or another mid-table finish with the Pizza Cup thrown in would be great progress. All too easy to lose key players and go the way of Crewe this season in what's a very competitive league overall other than a handful of teams (at either end of the table).
little mo
Welcome back Robin
paperboy
Whilst we rely more than most on a conveyor belt of decent loanees it'll always be difficult to predict our fortunes.
Second season syndrome also affects many so I'll be more conservative and hope for a similar season.
A possible plus is that we might look more appealing to players as a destination.

This assumes we'll stay in League One of course!
Fuller
If we stay in League One for the next five years I will be delighted. As long as the board make the necessary improvements to the club infrastructure.
No doubt there will be another highish turnover of players next season and as mentioned we are bound to lose some key players.
But of course the biggest challenge we face is keeping hold of Mike Duff and I wouldn’t expect to him to be much longer, especially if we have a strong end to this season. The next managerial appointment is key to holding on to our League One status.
ctfc-fan
Fuller wrote:If we stay in League One for the next five years I will be delighted. As long as the board make the necessary improvements to the club infrastructure.
No doubt there will be another highish turnover of players next season and as mentioned we are bound to lose some key players.
But of course the biggest challenge we face is keeping hold of Mike Duff and I wouldn’t expect to him to be much longer, especially if we have a strong end to this season. The next managerial appointment is key to holding on to our League One status.
David Bloxham covered two parts of this yesterday on Radio Glos.

They are working on a project which can’t be announced yet and also looking at home end.

Existing and new money is being sought and in discussions with people to ‘help us out.’

Also waiting to sort Duff’s contract out and didn’t want to interfere with transfer period when he was busy.
HamTown
Fuller wrote: 13 Feb 2022, 11:45 If we stay in League One for the next five years I will be delighted. As long as the board make the necessary improvements to the club infrastructure.
Out of curiosity when was the last time we had a manager poached/transferred to a another club? Might be a case of little old Cheltenham working in our favour for a while longer yet
asl
John Ward to Carlisle, probably. Rumour had it that the compo they paid us was our biggest ever 'transfer fee' at the time. Dunno how true that was.

Sent from my SM-G9860 using Tapatalk

Fuller
asl wrote: 13 Feb 2022, 13:20 John Ward to Carlisle, probably. Rumour had it that the compo they paid us was our biggest ever 'transfer fee' at the time. Dunno how true that was.

Sent from my SM-G9860 using Tapatalk
I was quite shocked when Wardy legged it to Carlisle. He’d only recently signed a very generous five year contract with us but as you say it did bring in a very decent sum of money.
Fuller
ctfc-fan wrote: 13 Feb 2022, 12:18
Fuller wrote:If we stay in League One for the next five years I will be delighted. As long as the board make the necessary improvements to the club infrastructure.
David Bloxham covered two parts of this yesterday on Radio Glos.

They are working on a project which can’t be announced yet and also looking at home end.

Existing and new money is being sought and in discussions with people to ‘help us out.’

Also waiting to sort Duff’s contract out and didn’t want to interfere with transfer period when he was busy.
All good to hear. I’ll try to find it on BBC Sounds.
I spoke to someone fairly close to the club after the game yesterday and they said something was developing with regards to ground improvement.
Zaffer
MD and the managers contract is of the highest importance ,I don’t accept ‘we haven’t got round to it yet ‘ DB interview.MD is THE biggest asset that the football club has currently,it needs to tie up the contract extension for MD as a priority.Bristol City will be looking closely at the situation & other conference clubs.At least we could get some reasonable compensation…..if the board aren’t complacent or negligent !
If /when MD leaves it will not only be him but others of the management team.
Robin
paperboy wrote: 13 Feb 2022, 11:27 Whilst we rely more than most on a conveyor belt of decent loanees it'll always be difficult to predict our fortunes.
Second season syndrome also affects many so I'll be more conservative and hope for a similar season.
A possible plus is that we might look more appealing to players as a destination.

This assumes we'll stay in League One of course!
Yes 2nd season syndrome is something we cannot be complacent about especially as you would imagine more established clubs at this level will be circling around some of our better players just like they did with McCann, Odejayi back in the John Ward/Keith Downing era. Oddly I fancy us to hold out for better fees now we have Mickey Moore and Duffo over seeing that side of things.

That said, our first ambition as a club should always be how can we continue to progress and not go backwards. Realistically that's establishing ourselves at this level, building better infrastructure at the ground (more seats, more non-match day revenue streams) and hopefully the fan base grows with that.
Robin
Zaffer wrote: 14 Feb 2022, 17:44 MD and the managers contract is of the highest importance ,I don’t accept ‘we haven’t got round to it yet ‘ DB interview.MD is THE biggest asset that the football club has currently,it needs to tie up the contract extension for MD as a priority.Bristol City will be looking closely at the situation & other conference clubs.At least we could get some reasonable compensation…..if the board aren’t complacent or negligent !
Not just Bristol City but Cardiff too and potentially Burnley if they come down and Dyche decides he wants a fresh challenge.
Fuller
Zaffer wrote: 14 Feb 2022, 17:44 MD and the managers contract is of the highest importance ,I don’t accept ‘we haven’t got round to it yet ‘ DB interview.MD is THE biggest asset that the football club has currently,it needs to tie up the contract extension for MD as a priority.Bristol City will be looking closely at the situation & other conference clubs.At least we could get some reasonable compensation…..if the board aren’t complacent or negligent !
Yes I must admit I’m very very surprised a new contract hasn’t been sorted with MD yet. Always recall we gave John Ward a five contract. He left about a year after signing it but it gave us a much larger compensation fee than you’d normally expect for a manager.
Si Robin
It's ok banging on about giving Duff a new contract, but it's on the assumption he wants to sign one.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Si Robin wrote: 14 Feb 2022, 18:25 It's ok banging on about giving Duff a new contract, but it's on the assumption he wants to sign one.
It makes sense for him. It gives him financial security if things start to go downhill here. And it also means any team who wants to buy him out has to be serious and have the financial clout.
Zaffer
Someone needs to be ‘banging on’ about a contract extension, because the board aren’t !,
MD has already stated ,both in interview and at the forum /question time that he’s very thankful for the opportunity CTFC gave him, he’s 15 mins from home to the training ground,he’s married to a Cheltenham girl and is more than happy at CTFC…..that said, he’s also very ambitious and wants to go as far as he can in football management, as he should,but for now we get the benefits of his ability & experience of a previous ‘elite’ ex player in management ,and his ‘stock’ continues to rise.There’s no downside to extending his contract….other than a lack of ambition by the board.He was asked the question regarding contract ext at the zoom dial in several months ago & stated ‘’that’s up to others (board) to answer’
Zaffer
Just see what happens when Nigel Pearson gets sacked at Bristol City …..it’s coming !
ctfc-fan
Zaffer wrote:Someone needs to be ‘banging on’ about a contract extension, because the board aren’t !,
MD has already stated ,both in interview and at the forum /question time that he’s very thankful for the opportunity CTFC gave him, he’s 15 mins from home to the training ground,he’s married to a Cheltenham girl and is more than happy at CTFC…..that said, he’s also very ambitious and wants to go as far as he can in football management, as he should,but for now we get the benefits of his ability & experience of a previous ‘elite’ ex player in management ,and his ‘stock’ continues to rise.There’s no downside to extending his contract….other than a lack of ambition by the board.He was asked the question regarding contract ext at the zoom dial in several months ago & stated ‘’that’s up to others (board) to answer’
Take the time out to listen to David Bloxham from Saturday before shouting. It was covered….
Fuller
For clarification can anyone confirm when MD signed his last contract, and what was the length of said contract?
Si Robin
In November 2019 he signed an extension until summer 2023.

I honestly don't know where Zaffer's panic is coming in. Anyone would think Duff is halfway out the door.
paperboy
What a difference a week makes.

If we'd lost both matches there would have been cries of " Duff's taken as far as he can, time for a change"
Only on Twitter of course, never on here.😀
Robin
I expect Duff to be offered a new improved deal and for him to sign it. Perhaps it take him through only until 2024 but it means like a pay rise, certain guarantees on improved budgets for next season and more security for the club should a Championship team come sniffing as we all expect.

I would hope any new deal has a solid release clause well into the six figures but I'm not sure if that's just wishful thinking.
robinsrule
Regarding seats in the ground, it is no coincidence that they are always the first area to sell out because the view is so much better. I know a few people who won’t come to Whaddon Rd cos they don’t want to stand as they can’t see what’s going on.

A seated stand behind the goal would be brilliant as would a new main stand. Would be great for either to happen in the near future.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
robinsrule wrote: 16 Feb 2022, 11:03 Regarding seats in the ground, it is no coincidence that they are always the first area to sell out because the view is so much better. I know a few people who won’t come to Whaddon Rd cos they don’t want to stand as they can’t see what’s going on.

A seated stand behind the goal would be brilliant as would a new main stand. Would be great for either to happen in the near future.
Imo it is too controversial to not have a terrace behind the goal. Giving home fans the Hazlewoods and accommodating away fans either in the CF or a section of the new main stand would allow home supporters to have a choice of seating or standing behind the goals.