special general meeting

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

andgarod
to remove a director I hear
anyone elucidate
everyman
You will find out after the meeting hopefully !
longmover
should we be concerned?
Red Duke
The Directors of the club are:

Chairman: David Bloxham

Vice-Chairman: Paul Bence

Directors: Paul Godfrey, John Murphy, Clive Gowing, Paul Bence, Richard Lewis

Fan Elected Director: Dave Beesley

Associate Directors: Murry Toms, Mark Cuzner

So which one of those is one to be removed?
asl
Does "being removed" = "stepping down voluntarily"? It's probably just a technical matter that they need to have a formal meeting to change the number of seats on the board.

Sent from my SM-G9860 using Tapatalk

ctfc-fan
asl wrote:Does "being removed" = "stepping down voluntarily"? It's probably just a technical matter that they need to have a formal meeting to change the number of seats on the board.

Don’t spoil the fun….!
bigdavejambo
if somebody is stepping down for health/personal or retirement issues there has to be a SGM by law in any business.
slinky_dog
bigdavejambo wrote: 02 Mar 2022, 19:16 if somebody is stepping down for health/personal or retirement issues there has to be a SGM by law in any business.
No need for a General Meeting unless shareholders want a director out and the director doesn’t want to go.

Regardless of the rights and wrongs, it is a needless distraction but on the grand scheme of things, doesn’t matter greatly.

I guess it’s all linked to the former Chairman going. We never got told what happened there.
longmover
any update on this?
andgarod
apparently Mr Baker wants Mr Lewis out for breaking confidential information or so I am being told
Is Mr Baker a director, or just a major shareholder
I assume Mr Lewis does not have the backing of the board

As someone said this sounds like a throw back to the last chairman resignation
Our current chairman is a solicitor so he should be able to sort this out
Where do the trust stand on this
ctfc-fan
andgarod wrote:apparently Mr Baker wants Mr Lewis out for breaking confidential information or so I am being told
Is Mr Baker a director, or just a major shareholder
I assume Mr Lewis does not have the backing of the board

As someone said this sounds like a throw back to the last chairman resignation
Our current chairman is a solicitor so he should be able to sort this out
Where do the trust stand on this
No PB isn’t a director but R Lewis is.
Artemis
PB is, however, a major shareholder, and as such owns a significant proportion of the club. Directors answer to the owners.
horlickfanclub
Directors answer to shareholders. As I understand it noone has a majority ownership of CTFC Ltd.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
horlickfanclub wrote: 04 Mar 2022, 10:36 Directors answer to shareholders. As I understand it noone has a majority ownership of CTFC Ltd.
Mr Keswick and the Cayman Islands based company both are Persons of Significant Control with around 30-35% of shares each.

Combined with Mr Baker, the three of them have around 75-80%+ of the shares.
Zaffer
Wasn’t Paul Baker against sacking Johnson at the time ?
It’s gone rather well since then though
CTFC.Harry
Zaffer wrote: 04 Mar 2022, 22:14 Wasn’t Paul Baker against sacking Johnson at the time ?
It’s gone rather well since then though
I recall seeing him on BBC Points West whinging about the sacking of Gary Johnson. Club is in a completely different era now it feels.
Si Robin
As much as I loved PB for what he did for the club, he was often blinkered when it came to managers. I remember him criticising the fans and media for forcing Bobby Gould out.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
I don’t think PB was against sacking GJ, but he was critical of the classless and unprofessional way in which it was done.
Shade
PB was a little too Liberal, not very ruthless when required. All very good when everything is running well.

Saying that, the way we got rid of GJ wasn't good.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Shade wrote: 07 Mar 2022, 12:04 PB was a little too Liberal, not very ruthless when required. All very good when everything is running well.

Saying that, the way we got rid of GJ wasn't good.
The grubbiest piece of business the Club has done in my time as an ST in my view. I guess that’s what differentiated the last Chairman from his predecessor and successor.
andgarod
gone 1.5m to 35k
little mo
andgarod wrote: 09 Mar 2022, 13:00 gone 1.5m to 35k

Pardon
longmover
is this some kind of code?
Fuller
longmover wrote: 09 Mar 2022, 13:39
A substantial majority to remove the director.

https://www.gloucestershirelive.co.uk/s ... rd-6775897
longmover
Fuller wrote: 09 Mar 2022, 14:46

so we just have to guess as to the reason why? Severing all ties with Wilcox?
asl
The language, "removed", certainly implies that it wasn't by mutual consent.

RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Fuller wrote: 09 Mar 2022, 14:46

Lol that picture! Opening his shirt collar up even more than Wilcox makes Lewis look like he sells windows as well as motors.

If those two turned up at one’s door to flog something looking like that they would soon be sent on their way.
Ben version 4:0
"Wilcox is now involved with FGR."

I think that one sentence tells you all you need to know, and why the club is much better off without him.
MrCTFC
Taken from Facebook:

A Statement from Richard Lewis

I have been asked to share the following statement on behalf of Richard Lewis following the decision taken earlier this week to remove him as a director of Cheltenham Town Football Club.

Statement from Richard Lewis, former director of Cheltenham Town Football Club

Date: 11 March 2022

On Wednesday 9 March 2022, following a shareholder’s meeting requested by Paul Baker, I was removed as a board director of Cheltenham Town.

The decision, reached via a proxy poll mechanism so that the outcome could be controlled regardless of how many shareholders attended, was the culmination of nine months of concerted effort and pressure by certain board members to get me to relinquish my position on the board.

This orchestrated campaign has not only put untold pressure on me but also overshadowed and impacted on the lives of my wife and my three sons. Despite this I have continued to serve the Club to the best of my ability.

Unlike some, I have never viewed being a director of our Club as a brag or some sort of status symbol. I have never used the position as a means of boosting my ego or seen it as a way of enhancing or furthering my business or personal reputation outside of football.

To me, it was an honour. A way of honouring my father’s memory. The realisation of every schoolboy’s dream. If you can’t play for your hometown club, helping to run it and make it a success is the next best thing.

And, as such, I approached my director responsibilities like everything I do in life – with dedication, hard work and with little expectation of recognition, fanfare, or glory.

Over the last 48 hours, I have received many calls and messages from well-wishers and concerned supporters alike. In fact, I have been humbled by how many people have reached out to support me. Some people I have known for years, others I barely know. Some were highly placed staff at the Club, others were long-time supporters, local sponsors, and business connections.

But all of them, like the majority of people who attended the shareholders’ meeting on Wednesday, had the same simple question: Why?

And my response has been equally simple: I don’t know.

As I write this, I realise how absurd that sounds. That nine months after this situation started and two days after the decision was made to remove me, I still do not know the reasons why. To be abundantly clear, I have never acted in a way that has caused detriment to the Club’s interests.

The shareholder who tabled the motion seeking my removal was asked to provide examples or evidence to explain why he said I was unsuitable to be a director of the Club. To date, he has declined to give an answer. Make of that what you will.

Before the notice of the meeting was circulated, the same shareholder insisted that the letter he sent to the board requesting the motion should not be shared with shareholders ahead of any vote. This left those who received notice of the meeting even more in the dark than I am.

At the meeting, when those who attended wanted to understand why they were being asked to remove me with no explanation, they were told the Club had received legal advice to not provide any further details, even though I am yet to get an explanation.

Worryingly, the board were happy for shareholders to vote on such a sensitive issue without disclosing full details, denying shareholders the opportunity to make an informed decision. Again, make of that what you will.

I have been a supporter for over 40 years. When I was in a position to do so, I became a sponsor of the Club. Through this I had my first meeting with former chairman Andy Wilcox who convinced me to join the board, positioning it as a chance to be part of a group of people working together with the firm aim of pushing the Club forward.

The reality has been very different with certain board members more interested in pushing their own agendas and creating a ‘closed shop’ at the top of our Club. At a time when the wider football community bangs the drum for inclusivity, perhaps it needs to beat a little louder round here.

In recent times when board members have left the Club, questions have gone unanswered and assumptions left unchallenged, allowing incorrect opinions to form. Unfounded rumours started and reputations tainted forever. I will not allow that to happen to my family and me.

While the last nine months have been unbearable for me, it is my family who have been impacted the most. The Club has always been a focal point in all our lives, long before I became a director. A place to meet friends. A place to make friends. But due to the actions of a minority, for reasons currently known only to them, it has not been comfortable for my family to attend the games. I hope in the coming weeks and months my wife and my sons feel able to return to watching our Club. That they can once again enjoy their matchday routine and the highs and lows involved in supporting Cheltenham Town. And I hope that friends and the wider support will make them feel welcome.

I was never just a board member. I was a supporter who sat on the board. Unlike others, I had no monetary shares. My shares in the Club are emotional – memories and connection. I put money in through sponsorship and provided the Club with what it needed, when it needed it. My sponsorship of the Club will continue, and my family and I look forward to being treated with the same respect and hospitality enjoyed by fellow sponsors of the Club.

Football supporters are not stupid, nor are they blind. If one good thing is to come out of this sad process, then I hope it will be that the events of the last few days will draw further scrutiny on the actions of the board – not just in this matter, but across the wider operations of the Club. It will encourage supporters to knock on the door of the closed shop, ask more questions and hold those who choose to run our Club to greater account.

It’s often said that you don’t choose which football team you support, your football team chooses you. Over forty years on, through thick and thin, I am still glad Cheltenham Town chose me.

Richard Lewis
HamTown
Presumably not disclosing the reasons to avoid a legal battle? Although I suspect it's an open secret amongst the board

The unbearable 9 months seem a bit dramatic too
asl
If the question was asked re "why?" and an answer not given, I would have refused to vote. How could *anyone* vote on a matter for which the facts were not forthcoming? (q.v. Brexit...)

Something here stinks. Surely this is precisely what the FED should be advising us about else why do we even have such a member on the board?

RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Interesting statement. Sorry to hear his family feel uncomfortable at games but I do have to ask why….if they came in to the Colin Farmer stand I don’t think anyone would recognise them, let alone give them grief.

All unsavoury but I respect our shareholders keeping to the legal straight and narrow.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
asl wrote: 11 Mar 2022, 19:12 If the question was asked re "why?" and an answer not given, I would have refused to vote. How could *anyone* vote on a matter for which the facts were not forthcoming? (q.v. Brexit...)

Something here stinks. Surely this is precisely what the FED should be advising us about else why do we even have such a member on the board?

If the reason is not given it comes down to taking things on trust. The outcome suggests the person requesting the removal commands more respect and trust than Mr Lewis. Which might itself tell you something, not that I know what!
Ihearye
third post in a week !!!!!! steady on
even if 1/10 of this is true, it does not sit well. Everyone deserves an explanation. Have no idea who Mr Lewis is, but if he has done anything wrong, he and the club deserve to know why. Then let him defend himself and allow us to draw are own conclusions. This situation is something Sergei Lavrov would find hard to defend
Red Duke
The statement from Richard Lewis makes for very bizarre reading. What on earth is going on at board level at our club?

It does not reflect well on our perception of the way the club is being run.

As others have suggested, perhaps our FED can share more light on this?