50 points and a few thoughts

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

51/84
Dont often post on here now but
I accept that 50 points is the first marker
Win the next 8 and you never know but we will not make 84 this season

A few thoughts now
Goal keeper We need another no1 to put Evans under pressure
Has the change in goalkeeping coach had an influence
Hope Micky Moore has his eye on someone

2 CBs required - not sure about Freestone

CM Replacement for Sercombe
RM replacement for Blair
also replacements for Ramsey and Wright

Striker
Replacements for Andy Williams and 2 loanees
And £1million for Alfie

More importantly new or extended contract for M Duff
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
£1m. Pathetic.
HamTown
Disagree about Blair, I'm a fan, although not sure how long he'll hold in to his pace
Robin
Think Blair has been great this season, definitely deserves a new deal but like Hussey he needs competition next season so a right wing back must be a priority. I'd also give Connor Thomas and Charlie Colkett new deals soon.

Not too sure on the keeper situation, Owen doesn't look the same player that he was on loan but hasn't been bad either. He's young so hopefully he continues to improve. Flinders I think will be released. Up top and centre of defence need major work this summer.
CTFCfan99
Would be great if we could get Etete, Wright and Pollock back - expect Pollock will be in the Watford squad though assuming they go down.
Benctfc
Agree we will need a first choice keeper. Evans again today should have come out and claimed the through ball that lead to their goal he is too indecisive.

Sercombe will be off I reckon as will William's that should free up the budget. Be interesting to see where Duff sees Lloyd now in the pecking order be a big chance for him to show what he can do in the remaining games this season.
Robin
CTFCfan99 wrote: 19 Mar 2022, 20:36 Would be great if we could get Etete, Wright and Pollock back - expect Pollock will be in the Watford squad though assuming they go down.
I'd imagine Callum is the only realistic one of those. Like you I think Pollock will be in the Watford squad next season and Spurs will probably want Etete out at a Championship side (Luton, Blackpool, Rotherham potentially I'd speculate).

I can see us going back in for Taylor Perry and Dan N'Dulu though either on permanents or another loan.

Cannot see us giving Jamie Soule a deal given he cannot make the bench ahead of Williams and LLoyd.

Now we've hit fifty points I hope we are looking at an increased budget for next season and getting Duff signed on an extended deal as top priorities.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Is there a difference in prize money between places in L1
Robin
I don't believe so RCS, that only applies in the Premiership. Would be nice to secure our highest every finish though, which probably requires 2-3 wins and the odd draw from our final few matches.
Warwickshire Robin

51/84 wrote:CM Replacement for Sercombe
RM replacement for Blair
also replacements for Ramsey and Wright
Would love to see someone like Wimbledon's skipper Woodyard in our midfield. Both games I've watched live he has dominated the midfield physically and looks ok on the ball too. With him being captain I assume he is a leader as well.

Sent from my SM-A528B using Tapatalk

Robin
I was impressed with him in the cup game Warwickshire but he plays the same position as Thomas and Bonds so I don't see it as a priority for now.

believe our focus will be signing Callum or a replacement in midfield, probably a replacement for Sercs too so more box to box players.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Robin wrote: 20 Mar 2022, 09:38 I don't believe so RCS, that only applies in the Premiership. Would be nice to secure our highest every finish though, which probably requires 2-3 wins and the odd draw from our final few matches.
I want sixty points.
Ben version 4:0
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote: 20 Mar 2022, 11:02
Robin wrote: 20 Mar 2022, 09:38 I don't believe so RCS, that only applies in the Premiership. Would be nice to secure our highest every finish though, which probably requires 2-3 wins and the odd draw from our final few matches.
I want sixty points.
Which of the remaining 8 games are you wanting us to lose RCS?
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Ben version 4:0 wrote: 20 Mar 2022, 12:46
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote: 20 Mar 2022, 11:02
I want sixty points.
Which of the remaining 8 games are you wanting us to lose RCS?
I mean a minimum of 60. Apols you need it spelled out rather than just inference. Obviously 74 points would be ideal.
longmover
If Evans is no,1 next season then we're in trouble, he's not league one level and done nothing to show he can improve he's got worse. Interesting point about the GK coach 51/84 maybe we should throw some proper money at Steve Book and get him back.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
I don’t see the issue with Evans.
Si Robin
Neither do I, which makes me wonder what I'm missing.

It reminds me of when Scott Brown became number 1. As he wasn't Shane Higgs, people automatically started saying he wasn't good enough, etc...

Looking at the goals we've conceded recently, I'm genuinely at a loss to blame Evans for any of them. He's a little indecisive, and takes a bit too long to clear the ball, but his footwork is some of the best we've had from a keeper, and he often drops the ball on a dime from a long clearance. Most importantly, he's still very young for a goalkeeper and the issues he has are things that can be trained.

I maintain he has a big future.
asl

Si Robin wrote:Neither do I, which makes me wonder what I'm missing.

It reminds me of when Scott Brown became number 1. As he wasn't Shane Higgs, people automatically started saying he wasn't good enough, etc...
"Coco the Brown", I believe... He was a perfectly good keeper for the level we were at - as, I agree, are both Evans and Flinders. It would be nice to fill our squad with Championship-level players but let's be realistic and happy for now to be a mid-table League 1 club.

Sent from my SM-G9860 using Tapatalk

horlickfanclub
Evans needs to improve. Disappointed in him. Maybe we do need a new coach.
I would sign on Colkett and pick him to start. He adds a calm head to midfield. Interesting to note in some recent matches we have done ok with only one loan player starting. I would play as many of our own as possible from now on.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Si Robin wrote: 21 Mar 2022, 10:29 Neither do I, which makes me wonder what I'm missing.

Looking at the goals we've conceded recently, I'm genuinely at a loss to blame Evans for any of them. He's a little indecisive, and takes a bit too long to clear the ball, but his footwork is some of the best we've had from a keeper, and he often drops the ball on a dime from a long clearance. Most importantly, he's still very young for a goalkeeper and the issues he has are things that can be trained.

I maintain he has a big future.
Probably one of our best assets in terms of potential and resale value.
Robin
I would say we need a base of players that can eventually be sold on for decent money that's why getting Callum Wright permanently could be crucial and to a lesser extent Taylor Perry and Dan N'Dulu. Then we add a handful of experience lower league pros and a few loans from Champ/Premiership and a few youngsters of our own.

I look at our current squad and other than Alfie May I'm not sure which players could attract a fee if we wanted to sell. Maybe Bonds, Ben Williams and Evans could given time and continued development. Boyle would be another but not at this stage of his contract.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Robin wrote: 21 Mar 2022, 13:52 I would say we need a base of players that can eventually be sold on for decent money that's why getting Callum Wright permanently could be crucial and to a lesser extent Taylor Perry and Dan N'Dulu. Then we add a handful of experience lower league pros and a few loans from Champ/Premiership and a few youngsters of our own.

I look at our current squad and other than Alfie May I'm not sure which players could attract a fee if we wanted to sell. Maybe Bonds, Ben Williams and Evans could given time and continued development. Boyle would be another but not at this stage of his contract.
Forgot about Perry. Would Wolves let him go?

Freestone is only 22 and has played some big games. I think a year or two in our team with Duff coaching him and he will be another one teams will will be after.

And if Charlie Brown, also 22, has a couple of decent seasons clubs will be snooping on him as well. Just don’t sell any of them for peanuts.
Shade
Robin wrote: 21 Mar 2022, 13:52 Dan N'Dulu.
N'Lundulu.

Regarding Evans, he needs to speed up his decision making, and he needs to be a bit more decisive at times in regards to coming for the ball. He's made mistakes. As others have said, he is young and can learn. Let's not forget it's his first season at League 1 level as well. Plenty of players all over the pitch make mistakes every game, but the keepers stand out. The defenders pass the ball around slowly as well and don't exactly make Evans decision making easy sometimes.
Robin
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote: 21 Mar 2022, 14:02
Robin wrote: 21 Mar 2022, 13:52 I would say we need a base of players that can eventually be sold on for decent money that's why getting Callum Wright permanently could be crucial and to a lesser extent Taylor Perry and Dan N'Dulu. Then we add a handful of experience lower league pros and a few loans from Champ/Premiership and a few youngsters of our own.

Forgot about Perry. Would Wolves let him go?

Freestone is only 22 and has played some big games. I think a year or two in our team with Duff coaching him and he will be another one teams will will be after.

And if Charlie Brown, also 22, has a couple of decent seasons clubs will be snooping on him as well. Just don’t sell any of them for peanuts.
Yes Wolves are willing to sell we enquired about Perry in January but at the time could not afford the asking price. Could be a different discussion this summer though.

I take your point about Charlie Brown but I've yet to see him play to really pass any judgements.