F I V E

Talk about other football teams at all levels. AND ANY Glos City related threads, even if talking about the groundsharing.

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

longmover
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/60926124

he Liverpool and Manchester City managers both said the decision was partly responsible for a spate of muscular injuries across the top flight.

:lol: :lol:
Red Duke
I think it is very much a red herring to blame muscle injuries due to not being able to have enough subs. I suspect that very few substitutions in a game today are due to injury, most are for tactical reasons.

I wonder how these top managers would have coped in the 1960's when there weren't any!

If implemented, those that have very strong benches will tip the balance towards them even more. It will get more like Rugby where fresh players off the bench turn a game against a tiring opposition.

I have noticed on a regular basis that many teams Rugby seem to make up large deficits in points in the second half which is due to almost fresh team coming onto the pitch.
longmover
Red Duke wrote: 30 Mar 2022, 15:26 I think it is very much a red herring to blame muscle injuries due to not being able to have enough subs. I suspect that very few substitutions in a game today are due to injury, most are for tactical reasons.

I wonder how these top managers would have coped in the 1960's when there weren't any!

If implemented, those that have very strong benches will tip the balance towards them even more. It will get more like Rugby where fresh players off the bench turn a game against a tiring opposition.

I have noticed on a regular basis that many teams Rugby seem to make up large deficits in points in the second half which is due to almost fresh team coming onto the pitch.
typical premier league 5hit then
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
I disagree and think there is merit in the injury claims.

City and Liverpool players train and work so hard it is close to being beyond the limit of human capability. Just look at the numbers….distance, sprints, speed, etc…they are above the other teams and in three or four competitions. Without being able to rest players or substitute them based on physical analysis (eg being told by scientists a player only has enough energy for 50 minutes effort in the next game) then injuries will happen.

It is not as simple as just taking it easier as it’s an arms race. If City or Real run harder, longer and faster then Liverpool have to try and beat that. So no side wants to be the first to rest players or go easier for a week or two. It’s akin to playing a five set tennis grand slam final every week or twice a week.

But I do not agree with the solution of five subs. All that means is that City and Liverpool can load the bench with even more of the world’s best players. They can run Salah, Mane, Robertaon, etc for 60 mins until the brink of injury and then bring on five players of the same quality. Other teams who don’t have that strength in depth will be even further left behind as they will be relying on their best players to last 90 mins so they will not be able to compete physically.
longmover
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote: 31 Mar 2022, 18:20

City and Liverpool players train and work so hard it is close to being beyond the limit of human capability. Just look at the numbers….distance, sprints, speed, etc…they are above the other teams and in three or four competitions. Without being able to rest players or substitute them based on physical analysis (eg being told by scientists a player only has enough energy for 50 minutes effort in the next game) then injuries will happen.
That's the managers problem to deal with then and an ethical one to if they're prepared to push their players to the brink of injury. So by having more subs teams will be pushing players more and more, and you'll get the likes of Henderson moaning that players aren't being listened to regarding players welfare, look closer to home then lad.

Also Man City still haven't wont the CL so big stats aren't everything are they.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
longmover wrote: 04 Apr 2022, 14:12
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote: 31 Mar 2022, 18:20

That's the managers problem to deal with then and an ethical one to if they're prepared to push their players to the brink of injury. So by having more subs teams will be pushing players more and more, and you'll get the likes of Henderson moaning that players aren't being listened to regarding players welfare, look closer to home then lad.

Also Man City still haven't wont the CL so big stats aren't everything are they.
I agree. Wasn’t defending it, just explaining why it happens.

Obviously CL finals are one off games where all the top sides can beat each other on their day and with tactical excellence.

But getting to the latter stages of the CL and FA Cup each year whilst getting over 90 points in the PL each year (usually 20 points ahead of 3rd) is where hitting the extraordinary numbers consistently twice a week for 50-60 games makes a difference.