Entertainment

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

little mo
Sixty goals for and Seventy One against. We have seen 131 goals so far this season,that is the most in League 1. Oh and who was it said at the start of the season that we would be fine with this defence.Me for one.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
I think the gulf in pace between L2 and L1 surprised a lot of us.

In L2 Hussey was marauding up and down the left outpacing and outlasting almost everyone and was one of the most dangerous players in the league.

I thought he would continue to excel in L1. However, it soon became apparent, even in games we won that this was a different level and all of a sudden it looked like he was running through quicksand, never being able to outpace opposing defenders and left treading water by opposing attackers.

Williams has solved that question, and if we can get two CBs up to the required pace then hopefully next season we will be back to solid foundations.

It’s not too dissimilar to how once we came back up from the National League, Parslow and Downes just couldn’t cope.
Shade
The defence that played against, and beat, 2 League One sides in cup competitions last year included Tozer. As soon as one link is gone the chain is broken and you can’t compare it. Plus Boyle spent half the season injured. Just thankfully we have been scoring regularly, otherwise it would have been quite a depressing season!
Robin
Good point about Tozer he was always an outlet for our keeper as he was comfortable on the ball unlike Raglan and Boyle who have got caught in possesion or played Evans into trouble on several occasions.
Nesty
To be honest I thought we would struggle when Tozer was sold on the eve of the season, The defence around which the team was built looked vulnerable - and with Long,, Boyle, Raglan all taking it in turn to be injured we only had the inexperienced Freestone and on-loan youngster Pollock competing for CB slots
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Nesty wrote: 04 Apr 2022, 17:49 To be honest I thought we would struggle when Tozer was sold on the eve of the season, The defence around which the team was built looked vulnerable - and with Long,, Boyle, Raglan all taking it in turn to be injured we only had the inexperienced Freestone and on-loan youngster Pollock competing for CB slots
Sunderland away shows what can happen.

Long Pollock Freestone in the back three with Hussey trying to get back to make the back five.

Duly punished.
Robin
Freestone is a major liability in most games but to his credit can also turn in some really good performances like vs Man City,
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Robin wrote: 04 Apr 2022, 18:54 Freestone is a major liability in most games but to his credit can also turn in some really good performances like vs Man City,
Yup. Duff is the ex-Premier league defender and more qualified a judge than me or you so I’ll go with what he says.
Red Duke
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote: 04 Apr 2022, 19:30
Robin wrote: 04 Apr 2022, 18:54 Freestone is a major liability in most games but to his credit can also turn in some really good performances like vs Man City,
Yup. Duff is the ex-Premier league defender and more qualified a judge than me or you so I’ll go with what he says.
Each time I have watched Freestone, he seems to me to lack confidence in his own ability and so takes very few risks. When he is playing LWB, he very rarely gets forward as I assume he is concerned that he can't get back.

I think that his future is Boyle's replacement as left sided central defender.
Robin
I'd be very concerned if Freestone is our starting centre back next season unless there is a significant improvement in his performances. He may come good but like George Lloyd they are both too inconsistent to play regularly at this level from what I've seen.
Warwickshire Robin
Robin wrote: 05 Apr 2022, 11:06 I'd be very concerned if Freestone is our starting centre back next season unless there is a significant improvement in his performances. He may come good but like George Lloyd they are both too inconsistent to play regularly at this level from what I've seen.
In my opinion the problems we have had a the back this season stem from the fact that the players we have had at our disposal since Tozer left aren't totally suited to the three man system where you ideally need an organiser and leader who is good on the ball as your middle man. Matty Pollock has played there most and whilst playing well isn't that leader yet nor is Charlie really.

Hopefully if we can recruit that organiser type this summer it will help lift young players like Lewis and make them better even though it will be difficult as there will be plenty of competition for those sorts of players and will come at a cost.
CTFC.Harry
Neither Raglan, Boyle or Pollock can pass the football either. Tozer could somewhat pass
asl

CTFC.Harry wrote:Tozer could somewhat pass
Yea, but with his hands...

Sent from my SM-G9860 using Tapatalk

everyman
CTFC.Harry wrote: 07 Apr 2022, 19:17 Neither Raglan, Boyle or Pollock can pass the football either. Tozer could somewhat pass
At our level defenders must defend first and give the ball to someone who can pass it,in our case the only player who is allways in space to receive from them is Thomas who unfortunately is injured and no one else has the maturity to do that in our squad except Sercombe who could become our "quarter-back" ?