Cheltenham Town v Portsmouth

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

Jon Palmer
Team news, live updates and reaction all here this afternoon: https://bit.ly/PompeyHome22
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Starters:
Evans; Long, Pollock, Boyle; Blair, Bonds, Wright, Sercombe, Hutchinson; Etete, May

Subs:
Flinders, Raglan, Freestone, Chapman, Lloyd, Brown, Ramsey

That must be close to our best bench of the season.
Ben version 4:0
Anyone who didn't enjoy that needs to check whether they still have a pulse. Great entertainment
asl
Yes...quite a decent first half.

We need to stop our goal kicks being an attacking opportunity for Portsmouth. How many times...?

Despite the number of times we gave them the ball, they failed to muster a single shot worthy of the chance - while we had two chances from scrambles in their box and bounced one off the bar.

We're capable of winning this!

Sent from my SM-G9860 using Tapatalk

Shade
asl wrote: 09 Apr 2022, 14:54 Yes...quite a decent first half.

We need to stop our goal kicks being an attacking opportunity for Portsmouth. How many times...?

Despite the number of times we gave them the ball, they failed to muster a single shot worthy of the chance - while we had two chances from scrambles in their box and bounced one off the bar.

We're capable of winning this!

Better of the chances have been our way. Ball has been in their net 3 times as well. But I'm guessing they have had more possession and territory. Thegoal kicks/distribution continues to be our main problem.
Alf
Must give credit to the ref who is doing his best to keep the game flowing despite some of their players falling to the floor every time someone opens the changing room door.
Hope I haven’t spoken too soon!
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Down to 15th as it stands. Need a winner to stay 12th.
Nesty
12th = and safety

well done MD and all connected to the club and team
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Can’t wait to see the goal.

Great win.

5,117 attendance so good for the average and bank account.
It's been such an enjoyable season, and that was such an enjoyable afternoon.

Yes - we give the ball away too often in trying to play from the back. Very frustrating

But what a great goal that was. And great entertainment, especially first half.

Love it. Congratulations to everyone connected with the club
Robin
Two more wins should secure our highest ever position as things stand.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
What a team. Duff reckons it is the best we have ever had, and I agree.
robinsrule
Great win! Proud of the whole team.
Broadway Brian
Superb game and entertainment. Thought Sercombe had a belter even without the goal.

Loved seeing Pollock back too.

Ropey start from Hutchison but had a really good second half.

Love those games.
Alf
Well balanced side we had out today. Excellent performance and result.
HamTown
Alf wrote: 09 Apr 2022, 20:07 Well balanced side we had out today. Excellent performance and result.
Missed the game but was pleased to see that starting 11 for the reason you say
It's worth saying (because it'll be quiet on this board, because we won!) that evans was sublime in goal yesterday. That save in the first half was out of this world
asl
Ben version 4:0 wrote:It's worth saying (because it'll be quiet on this board, because we won!) that evans was sublime in goal yesterday. That save in the first half was out of this world
Just for balance, that save he made was brilliant - but the opportunity only arose because he missed his punch when he originally came for the ball.

I thought he had a mixed game. He was culpable for giving away possession from a number of goal kicks (although he had help in that) - but, conversely, some of his kicking out of his hands was spot on.

'Sublime' is a bit OTT, IMHO, but he didn't have a bad game and he saved the ones that needed saving.

asl
Also, that mix-up between him and Pollack that would have led to a goal had it not been for a frankly-brilliant tackle from Boyle (who also had a good game) was probably a result of the keeper not yelling "MINE!!!!" and blasting the ball into the bowling green. Yea, 7 out of 10, I think.

RegencyCheltenhamSpa
asl wrote: 10 Apr 2022, 07:51 Also, that mix-up between him and Pollack that would have led to a goal had it not been for a frankly-brilliant tackle from Boyle (who also had a good game) was probably a result of the keeper not yelling "MINE!!!!" and blasting the ball into the bowling green. Yea, 7 out of 10, I think.

Pollack? I hate to be that person, asl.

The whole giving the ball away thing really is a team issue. Owen and the team are clearly told to build from the back, but too often the defenders and midfielders are man marked, and they don’t find space apart from in really difficult or dangerous positions (which is what the opposition want).

It’s definitely something for Duff and the team to work on.

Spurs made the same mistake all first half against Villa yesterday, giving up chance after chance by playing out from keeper to defenders and losing the ball due to Villa’s high press. They were able to switch in the second half by going long and direct to Kane’s head but we do not have Harry Kane.
asl
Was it not Pollock? Or were you just pointing out the typo? Happy to be corrected either way!

Robin
Broadway Brian wrote: 09 Apr 2022, 19:07 Superb game and entertainment. Thought Sercombe had a belter even without the goal.

Love those games.
Hutchinson is much better cover for Williams than Freestone is from what I've seen.
Robin
Ben version 4:0 wrote: 10 Apr 2022, 06:47 It's worth saying (because it'll be quiet on this board, because we won!) that evans was sublime in goal yesterday. That save in the first half was out of this world
Evans was getting booed and taking all sorts of abuse from the home fans yesterday, not sure where this has come from as he's not done a lot wrong in my eyes.
Robin
asl wrote: 10 Apr 2022, 07:51 Also, that mix-up between him and Pollack that would have led to a goal had it not been for a frankly-brilliant tackle from Boyle (who also had a good game) was probably a result of the keeper not yelling "MINE!!!!" and blasting the ball into the bowling green. Yea, 7 out of 10, I think.

Wasn't it Long and Evans who had the mix up and Pollock who did the last ditch tackle? I think Pollock has all the attributes to go on and play at a high level except pace, if he had that he'd be a future premier league player. Would have loved to have seen Pollock and Boyle either side of Tozer this season.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
asl wrote: 10 Apr 2022, 08:30 Was it not Pollock? Or were you just pointing out the typo? Happy to be corrected either way!

Typo.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Robin wrote: 10 Apr 2022, 08:43
Ben version 4:0 wrote: 10 Apr 2022, 06:47 It's worth saying (because it'll be quiet on this board, because we won!) that evans was sublime in goal yesterday. That save in the first half was out of this world
Evans was getting booed and taking all sorts of abuse from the home fans yesterday, not sure where this has come from as he's not done a lot wrong in my eyes.
Boo boys have picked their target for the year. Sad to see but it happens every year. I thought they might have a year off seeing it is the best ever season in the Club’s existence but that was probably me not understanding the psychology of a boo boy.

Pathetic stuff like this from boo boy cretins just diminishes enjoyment of the game for everyone else
everyman
Broadway Brian wrote: 09 Apr 2022, 19:07 Superb game and entertainment. Thought Sercombe had a belter even without the goal.

Love those games.
After being put under pressure in the first part of the game Will Boyle had words with him and he improved markedly,Will showing his leadership qualities once again even if he "can`t pass a ball" ? some say !
joes dad

His last ditch tackle looks even better on replay.
https://www.skysports.com/watch/video/s ... highlights
asl
Confirms the mix-up was with Long, as you said, Robin. However, the saving tackle was definitely Boylo.

I thought Pompey looked remarkably poor going forward and only came close to scoring once. Not surprising that some of their fans were leaving with 10 minutes still to play - they could still be playing now and wouldn't have scored!

I notice evans' sublime display earned him a place in Sky sports team of the week. Well deserved for a display of the ages
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Ben version 4:0 wrote: 10 Apr 2022, 15:00 I notice evans' sublime display earned him a place in Sky sports team of the week. Well deserved for a display of the ages
Well done Owen.
Nesty
A very good game = all 11 players did their bit and gave 100% - A cracking goal to end a superb passing attack. Please Tottenham can we have Etete back next season?
Artemis
And please Leicester, can we keep Callum Wright? He was outstanding in a very very good team performance. That dribble in the second half was sublime.
longmover
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote: 10 Apr 2022, 09:10
Boo boys have picked their target for the year. Sad to see but it happens every year. I thought they might have a year off seeing it is the best ever season in the Club’s existence but that was probably me not understanding the psychology of a boo boy.

Pathetic stuff like this from boo boy cretins just diminishes enjoyment of the game for everyone else
The BOOing comes from frustration, the frustration of yet another comedy central attempt to play the ball out of the back which will involve us losing the ball deep in our half and an attempt at goal from the opposition. When fans see this process repeated then the BOOing happens. Its a passage of play that CTFC completely control in that it starts with a dead ball and the opposition are sat back waiting, so its down to the execution of distribution.

Duff has said he is not going to change the way they play, that's fair enough but lets either change the way they drill the players or get better players, because something isn't working.
Last edited by longmover on 11 Apr 2022, 09:24, edited 1 time in total.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
longmover wrote: 11 Apr 2022, 08:53
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote: 10 Apr 2022, 09:10

The BOO'ing comes from frustration, the frustration of yet another comedy central attempt to play the ball out of the back which will involve us losing the ball deep in our half and an attempt at goal from the opposition. When fans see this process repeated then the BOO'ing happens. Its a passage of play that CTFC completely control in that it starts with a dead ball and the opposition are sat back waiting, so its down to the execution of distribution.

Duff has said he is not going to change the way they play, that's fair enough but lets either change the way they drill the players or get better players, because something isn't working.
But why pick out Evans for booing and abuse specifically rather than Duff or the other players?