Cheltenham Town v Portsmouth

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

asl
I didn't hear any booing, to be honest - but I did notice an ironic round of applause from the PRE when we abandoned that particular tactic after the fourth failed attempt.

Sent from my SM-G9860 using Tapatalk

longmover
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote: 11 Apr 2022, 09:11
longmover wrote: 11 Apr 2022, 08:53
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote: 10 Apr 2022, 09:10

Boo boys have picked their target for the year. Sad to see but it happens every year. I thought they might have a year off seeing it is the best ever season in the Club’s existence but that was probably me not understanding the psychology of a boo boy.

Pathetic stuff like this from boo boy cretins just diminishes enjoyment of the game for everyone else
The BOOing comes from frustration, the frustration of yet another comedy central attempt to play the ball out of the back which will involve us losing the ball deep in our half and an attempt at goal from the opposition. When fans see this process repeated then the BOOing happens. Its a passage of play that CTFC completely control in that it starts with a dead ball and the opposition are sat back waiting, so its down to the execution of distribution.

Duff has said he is not going to change the way they play, that's fair enough but lets either change the way they drill the players or get better players, because something isn't working.
But why pick out Evans for booing and abuse specifically rather than Duff or the other players?
Unfortunately for Evans he starts the passage of play, so when he has the ball and the defenders go out wide fans know the ball is going to be played from the back. For me the Booing is for the passage / style of play not necessarily just for Evans.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
longmover wrote: 11 Apr 2022, 09:23
longmover wrote: 11 Apr 2022, 08:53

The BOOing comes from frustration, the frustration of yet another comedy central attempt to play the ball out of the back which will involve us losing the ball deep in our half and an attempt at goal from the opposition. When fans see this process repeated then the BOOing happens. Its a passage of play that CTFC completely control in that it starts with a dead ball and the opposition are sat back waiting, so its down to the execution of distribution.

Duff has said he is not going to change the way they play, that's fair enough but lets either change the way they drill the players or get better players, because something isn't working.
But why pick out Evans for booing and abuse specifically rather than Duff or the other players?
Unfortunately for Evans he starts the passage of play, so when he has the ball and the defenders go out wide fans know the ball is going to be played from the back. For me the Booing is for the passage / style of play not necessarily just for Evans.
The post I originally quoted said that as well as Evans being booed he was “taking all sorts of abuse” from the fans.

Booing a passage of play is fine and part of the game and something fans and supporters do and need to do at times.

Abusing an individual and picking them out for special treatment is booboy behaviour, and normal fans and supporters do not do it.
longmover
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote: 11 Apr 2022, 09:59

The post I originally quoted said that as well as Evans being booed he was “taking all sorts of abuse” from the fans.

Booing a passage of play is fine and part of the game and something fans and supporters do and need to do at times.

Abusing an individual and picking them out for special treatment is booboy behaviour, and normal fans and supporters do not do it.
Professional football is a cruel game and some people feel how they vent is justified, playing out of the back starts with the keeper so if he gets it wrong its magnified by 100 that's the deal, we all have our opinions on Evans and whether he is up to it at this level?
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
longmover wrote: 11 Apr 2022, 10:07
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote: 11 Apr 2022, 09:59

Professional football is a cruel game and some people feel how they vent is justified, playing out of the back starts with the keeper so if he gets it wrong its magnified by 100 that's the deal, we all have our opinions on Evans and whether he is up to it at this level?
Whether he is up to it is a different debate entirely to whether it’s helpful to abuse your own player for trying to do what the manager asks him to.
Jerry St Clair
On a more general point, the fella behind seemed almost disappointed we won.

He spent the entire game berating Evans, proclaiming Etete as shite (!) and, after we scored, insisting we'd collapse and concede a last minute winner. He buggered off the second the final whistle blew without so much as a round of applause. Absolute cretin. We all moan and shout and get frustrated at points, but to whinge so incessantly and vocally during one of the finest wins in the best season ever takes some impressive degree of idiocy.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Jerry St Clair wrote: 11 Apr 2022, 13:23 On a more general point, the fella behind seemed almost disappointed we won.

He spent the entire game berating Evans, proclaiming Etete as shite (!) and, after we scored, insisting we'd collapse and concede a last minute winner. He buggered off the second the final whistle blew without so much as a round of applause. Absolute cretin. We all moan and shout and get frustrated at points, but to whinge so incessantly and vocally during one of the finest wins in the best season ever takes some impressive degree of idiocy.
Re the PRE thread. It’s exactly this type of muppet being in earshot that makes you question spending £18/20 to attend.
Si Robin
I want to agree, but there are just as many idiots in the Colin Farmer
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Si Robin wrote: 11 Apr 2022, 14:31 I want to agree, but there are just as many idiots in the Colin Farmer
At least we have a decent view to mitigate. Not being able to see anything plus having the idiots is worse.
Shade
My thoughts: Evans isn't the only one to blame for the playing out from the back but he HAS to be quicker. When we were trying the Pollock taking the goal kick short to Evans, Evans got charged down and his kick was partially blocked. At this stage of the season when it has happened so much I think it's pretty poor we are still putting ourselves under so much pressure and taking so long in a game to decide "that isn't working, let's go a different route". It did change quicker than usual on Saturday, though. As for the clapping when we went long, I saw it more of a "yes, this is what we want to see". I don't think it's so much booing Evans,but most people booing the tactic of slow, bumbling mess that is often our short goal kicks and playing out for the 10th time in 15 minutes. MD was doing his nut a few times at the ineptitude, though, so he knows himself it wasnt good enough. Anyone booing or jeering the player is a moron.

Wright was outstanding. Sponsors obviously pissed and just picked the goalscorer for MOTM.

In the first half, when we were under the cosh a bit, I've never seen a team communicating as much. Boyle, Sercombe, May, Etete, Hutchison, Pollock, Long and probably more were all having vigorous chats in 2's and 3's with lots of hand motions signalling what they should all be doing. Great to see that communication and trying amongst themselves to sort things out in a poor 10-15 minutes.
asl
I was erring towards Sercs for MotM ever before the goal.

Sprout Picker
asl wrote: 11 Apr 2022, 20:29 I was erring towards Sercs for MotM ever before the goal.

Likewise, I thought he had a great game and his goal was the icing on the cake. Wright very good as well and unlucky not to score on a couple of occasions.
Warwickshire Robin
Sprout Picker wrote: 11 Apr 2022, 21:56
asl wrote: 11 Apr 2022, 20:29 I was erring towards Sercs for MotM ever before the goal.

Likewise, I thought he had a great game and his goal was the icing on the cake. Wright very good as well and unlucky not to score on a couple of occasions.
I thought the midfield three were all excellent on Saturday. Elliott Bonds is really developing into a fine player and if he wasn't as eye catching as the other two on the day he did a load of work and gave it to the other two to allow them to do their thing. I see those three as the best and most balanced selection.

It also seems to suggest that Conor Thomas and Charlie Colkett may not be back next season as they can't even make the bench at the moment.
Last edited by Warwickshire Robin on 12 Apr 2022, 14:45, edited 3 times in total.
Si Robin
I have to agree - Elliott Bonds has been fantastic. Seems to be fully over his injury now. A good pre-season and he could be absolutely crucial to any future success next season.
longmover
Shade wrote: 11 Apr 2022, 19:57 My thoughts: Evans isn't the only one to blame for the playing out from the back but he HAS to be quicker. When we were trying the Pollock taking the goal kick short to Evans, Evans got charged down and his kick was partially blocked. At this stage of the season when it has happened so much I think it's pretty poor we are still putting ourselves under so much pressure and taking so long in a game to decide "that isn't working, let's go a different route". It did change quicker than usual on Saturday, though. As for the clapping when we went long, I saw it more of a "yes, this is what we want to see". I don't think it's so much booing Evans,but most people booing the tactic of slow, bumbling mess that is often our short goal kicks and playing out for the 10th time in 15 minutes. MD was doing his nut a few times at the ineptitude, though, so he knows himself it wasnt good enough. Anyone booing or jeering the player is a moron.

Wright was outstanding. Sponsors obviously pissed and just picked the goalscorer for MOTM.

In the first half, when we were under the cosh a bit, I've never seen a team communicating as much. Boyle, Sercombe, May, Etete, Hutchison, Pollock, Long and probably more were all having vigorous chats in 2's and 3's with lots of hand motions signalling what they should all be doing. Great to see that communication and trying amongst themselves to sort things out in a poor 10-15 minutes.
The Portsmouth keeper was spot on with his distribution, he dictated to his defense (and the rest of the team) what was going to happen with no hesitation, it was quick, varied and precise, he's on loan from Man City.
Fuller
Pompey keeper is the sort we need next season to push Evans all the way.
Red Duke
The goal kicking tactics is decided by the coaching staff. The key to success is the ability of the players to control the ball and for others to move into space so that they are in a position to receive it.

Surely, the coaching must see that the success rate is pretty low and needs revising.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Red Duke wrote: 12 Apr 2022, 09:45 The goal kicking tactics is decided by the coaching staff. The key to success is the ability of the players to control the ball and for others to move into space so that they are in a position to receive it.

Surely, the coaching must see that the success rate is pretty low and needs revising.
Maybe Duff already has already lined up defenders who are more mobile, faster at finding space and better at controlling than the likes of Boyle.
Robin

I fully agree, Sercs was head and shoulders the best player on the pitch even before the goal. Callum had a great second half but wasn't MotM in my view.
Robin
Warwickshire Robin wrote: 12 Apr 2022, 08:05
Sprout Picker wrote: 11 Apr 2022, 21:56

I thought the midfield three were all excellent on Saturday. Elliot Bonds is really developing into a fine player and if he wasn't as eye catching as the other two on the day he did a load of work and gave it to the other two to allow them to do their thing. I see those three as the best and most balanced selection.

It also seems to suggest that Conor Thomas and Charlie Colkett may not be back next season as they can't even make the bench at the moment.
Mike Duff seems to be hinting that someone might now want to stay so I would not be surprised if one of Thomas or Colkett turns down a new deal but I'd be surprised if both left, we need at least one of them in there next season.
Robin
Fuller wrote: 12 Apr 2022, 09:40 Pompey keeper is the sort we need next season to push Evans all the way.
I can see us going for a loanee to compete with Owen next season. Either someone who has been out in league two and done well (the lad at Mansfield maybe) or someone currently on loan in this league (Josh Griffiths or Jamie Cumming immediately come to mind).
Shade
Robin wrote: 12 Apr 2022, 13:42

I fully agree, Sercs was head and shoulders the best player on the pitch even before the goal. Callum had a great second half but wasn't MotM in my view.
Seriously... I don't see any other players getting highlight reels for any games https://fb.watch/clkj08Y-fK/

This is a good debate to be having, though, which player was better, rather than who was worse!
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Shade wrote: 12 Apr 2022, 15:16
Robin wrote: 12 Apr 2022, 13:42

Seriously... I don't see any other players getting highlight reels for any games https://fb.watch/clkj08Y-fK/

This is a good debate to be having, though, which player was better, rather than who was worse!
Only the Absolute Boy aka The Goat can get a highlights reel.

Also on the official club website: https://www.ctfc.com/ifollow/video-archive/
Red Duke
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote: 12 Apr 2022, 12:40
Red Duke wrote: 12 Apr 2022, 09:45 The goal kicking tactics is decided by the coaching staff. The key to success is the ability of the players to control the ball and for others to move into space so that they are in a position to receive it.

Maybe Duff already has already lined up defenders who are more mobile, faster at finding space and better at controlling than the likes of Boyle.
Maybe so, but why use a tactic that highlight weaknesses in the current players. At this level, you ought to play to their strengths.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Red Duke wrote: 13 Apr 2022, 08:33
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote: 12 Apr 2022, 12:40

Maybe so, but why use a tactic that highlight weaknesses in the current players. At this level, you ought to play to their strengths.
Ultimately, we don’t have a counterfactual to prove whether different tactics would have brought more success. There have been times where going long and direct has been criticised by fans if too aimless or the ball doesn’t stick.

All we do know for sure is that we are set to have the best ever season in our history. We could finish 12th. Would we have come 10th or 11th if we played different tactics? Impossible to know but I personally doubt we would.

It’s a team game after all and we want maximise the strength and performance of the team, rather than focus on individuals. E.g. playing to Boyle’s strengths might mean we can’t play to the strengths of Wright and May, etc etc. So players will be asked to do what benefits the team system and team approach most. Given that the way the team has been sent out to play has proven so successful then I’m happy.
everyman

It`s the trend at the moment and even the top teams in europe are frequently getting caught in possession and they have defenders who can pass the ball !
longmover
everyman wrote: 13 Apr 2022, 12:08

It`s the trend at the moment and even the top teams in europe are frequently getting caught in possession and they have defenders who can pass the ball !
Thing is the teams in Europe have defenders that can pass their way out of trouble, so more often than not if they do get caught the only downside is they don't have the ball where they wanted it to be, the downside for us is we may concede.
Jerry St Clair
The logic of passing the ball out from a goal kick is sound. You draw opposition forwards into the press which, if your passing and movement is good, can create loads of space in midfield for you to exploit. Its high risk, but also high reward when it works.

Like the back pass law when it came in in the early 90s it's going to take a few seasons for teams and coaches to settle in and evolve with it.
longmover
Jerry St Clair wrote: 13 Apr 2022, 13:20 The logic of passing the ball out from a goal kick is sound. You draw opposition forwards into the press which, if your passing and movement is good, can create loads of space in midfield for you to exploit. Its high risk, but also high reward when it works.

Like the back pass law when it came in in the early 90s it's going to take a few seasons for teams and coaches to settle in and evolve with it.
you need players (keepers and defenders) that are comfortable on the ball, for most young players coming through the academies this will be the norm so should see the standard in this style of play improve in most leagues.