Cheltenham Town v Gillingham

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

Jon Palmer
Team news, live updates and reaction all here this afternoon: https://bit.ly/GillsHome
Shade
Blair injured I guess?
CTFCfan99
Gills one of the biggest shithouse teams I've ever seen.
Shade
Banging on here today :lol:

I hate Gillingham. Hope Etete's equaliser helps send them and their gobshite fans down.

Anyone know what the trouble in the PRE was about? Saw at least 2 being forcibly removed and when I left about 3 stewards seemed to be sat on someone in the gateway between there and the CF stand, someone else was being held, a bunch more stewards were stood around and then the police turned up.
CTFC.Harry
Shade wrote: 15 Apr 2022, 16:51 Banging on here today :lol:

I hate Gillingham. Hope Etete's equaliser helps send them and their gobshite fans down.

Anyone know what the trouble in the PRE was about? Saw at least 2 being forcibly removed and when I left about 3 stewards seemed to be sat on someone in the gateway between there and the CF stand, someone else was being held, a bunch more stewards were stood around and then the police turned up.

A young lad was squirting water at their keeper on the goal kicks and then the stewards came in and removed him and the people around him started tussling with the stewards.
Robin

Two stewards man handling a twelve year old kid for squirting water in the direction of the keeper, that got the fans riled up and a bit of hand bags afterwards, all blew over pretty quickly.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Still frustrated May didn’t either or score or lay it off to Ramsey to score.
Shade
Robin wrote: 15 Apr 2022, 17:56

Two stewards man handling a twelve year old kid for squirting water in the direction of the keeper, that got the fans riled up and a bit of hand bags afterwards, all blew over pretty quickly.
The "man" they pulled out looked at least in his 20's from where I was.
Shade
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote: 15 Apr 2022, 17:57 Still frustrated May didn’t either or score or lay it off to Ramsey to score.

And that Ramsey took an extra touch for his chance. And that Sercombe didn't just put the free kick into the box in the last minute. We were poor today but still got a draw against a team fighting for survival. A c!#p team fighting for survival, but we have lost games against scrappers at home this season.
Robin
Maybe the lads father Shade? People around me said the kid looked about ten then I heard someone say he's in year 7 of Cleeve school.
Shade
Robin wrote: 15 Apr 2022, 18:49 Maybe the lads father Shade? People around me said the kid looked about ten then I heard someone say he's in year 7 of Cleeve school.
Maybe then. Whoever it was that they went in to drag out was definitely not the size or state of your standard 12yo. Or 15yo. Neither were the two that were being "detained" after the game.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
As I was leaving the CF just before the WR junction there were four or five officers mobilising and heading down towards Parklands. I wondered why but now I know.
Mike1953
A fair result, could have gone either way. Gillingham more motivated than us, judging not least from their ecstatic reaction to their second goal.
Callum Wright a joy to watch again. One audacious piece of skill when he beat his man ‘carrying’ the ball on his head.
everyman
CTFC.Harry wrote: 15 Apr 2022, 17:19

A young lad was squirting water at their keeper on the goal kicks and then the stewards came in and removed him and the people around him started tussling with the stewards.
Some of us had warned the little "squirt" about the water thing and that he`d be seen on the security cameras,and minutes later a group of stewards arrived and dragged a fellow away who wasn`t the culprit and obviousy resisted to being falsely detaind.I hope the real culprit is identified and dealt with.
Warwickshire Robin
Well I think that would be one we would have been very frustrated not to win were we not already safe. We were by far the better footballing side and played some nice stuff in patches and even the playing out from the back was good at times.

The problem was we let Gillingham get ahead twice and when they did they did what anyone else in their position would do and spoilt the game by delaying any restarts and going down 'injured' at every opportunity. At one point their penalty area looked like the beach scene in Saving Private Ryan although they all miraculously recovered and minutes later the previously stricken keeper made a great save from a Will Boyle header. This just broke up the rhythm and the game turned scrappy for long periods

I was surprised how little urgency they showed in the last 10 minutes or so to go on and get the three points, hopefully it will come back to bite them at the end of the season.

Finally a word for the ref, another poor one. Let them get away with the time wasting, Oliver's constant flailing elbow went unpunished until the 88th minute as well as a well out of control tackle near midfield which I thought looked bad and MD mentioned in his post match comments. He also booked one of ours (Hutchinson I think) for a cynical foul then did nothing to the guy who pulled Alfie back when he looked like getting away, didn't think he was even going to give the free kick to start with. Another in the ever lengthening list of incompetents we have to suffer in League 1!
Si Robin
I really don't get this holier than thou attitude regarding Gillingham's antics.

They're fighting for their lives and need to pull every trick in the book. For the first 20 mins of the game they were all over us and deserved to go in front. Same in the second half. Unfortunately for them, their time-wasting and whatnot interrupted their play more than ours, but I won't criticise them for doing it. If we were in the same boat, I'd want our team using every dirty trick to get ahead. We've said it many times over the years that the one thing we lacked was a dirty streak.

Regarding the ref, I'm loathe to criticise anyone who picks up the whistle - especially when they have to deal with people giving them shite for 90 mins. People who wouldn't dream of doing such a thing themselves. There's a dearth of referees at the moment at grassroots level because of know alls who won't do it themselves giving them grief. How are refs going to get better when they don't have enough coming through in the first place?
Warwickshire Robin
Si Robin wrote: 16 Apr 2022, 11:12 I really don't get this holier than thou attitude regarding Gillingham's antics.

They're fighting for their lives and need to pull every trick in the book. For the first 20 mins of the game they were all over us and deserved to go in front. Same in the second half. Unfortunately for them, their time-wasting and whatnot interrupted their play more than ours, but I won't criticise them for doing it. If we were in the same boat, I'd want our team using every dirty trick to get ahead. We've said it many times over the years that the one thing we lacked was a dirty streak.

Regarding the ref, I'm loathe to criticise anyone who picks up the whistle - especially when they have to deal with people giving them shite for 90 mins. People who wouldn't dream of doing such a thing themselves. There's a dearth of referees at the moment at grassroots level because of know alls who won't do it themselves giving them grief. How are refs going to get better when they don't have enough coming through in the first place?
I wasn't being holier than thou, if you read my post closely you would see I said that anyone in their position would do it, I've no problem with it. If they are allowed to get away with then fair play. I would expect us to do the same.

With regards to the ref, it is a ridiculously hard job and not one I would do for all the money in the world but these are supposed to be professional people who get paid for doing their job and if they dont do it well then I dont see why they should escape criticism.
Shade
c!#p tactics, wasting time from the 20th odd minute when the chances were if they'd got on with the game, carried on as they were and tried to impose themselves on us then they would have scored a second and probably won the game. But that's why they're (hopefully) going down.

Ref was poor. Don't care if there is a shortage of refs, hes a big boy and would get over it if he were for some reason to come on the RNF for a read. Even then, he probably wouldn't take the slightest bit of notice so who cares. If MD can say he was poor, so can we.