Summer holiday shopping list

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Thinking about each area of the pitch and which are a high, low or moderate priority to address asap.

Keeper - moderate priority: Evans is good enough and improving. Probably not the best in L1 and probably not the worst. No guarantee anyone we sign would better. If Flinders goes we do need a number 2/competition.

Left back/wing back - low priority: Williams is one of (if not the) the best in L1. Hutch, if offered a new deal, has shown great pace and potential as well. And no one has done as good a job on Mahrez since Freestone did. Probably our strongest area of the pitch.

Centre backs - high priority: We only have Raglan as a first teamer. Long is not a CB and Freestone is improving but still more of a 15-20 game a season player at CB and LB. Two or three first team L1 standard needed. We have seen the limitations of a Boyle type player, and how we need some pace and mobility at the back to stop being torn apart by hoofed long balls.

Right back/wing back - low priority: Blair has another year on his contract. Long has two years. We do need to think about the transition here, and whether we need to upgrade like we did from L2 Hussey to L1 Williams. Assess in January.

Midfield - high priority: Replacing Wright will be virtually impossible. So we might need to change the approach as we cannot rely on one player as we did him. Regardless of which of Thomas/Sercombe/Chapman/Colkett/Barkers sign we will need a couple of attacking runners (most likely young loans - Taylor Perry?) to give us a forward threat alongside Bonds who will be the central pivot.

Attack - moderate priority: We have May, who if Sunderland get promoted with Wigan will be the highest scorer from this season starting L1 next season. We also have Charlie Brown who will be competing with May to be the main man. We know what Lloydy can do. We will need options though, either an Etete style loan or Varney style signing, preferably one of each. If we don’t sign two in the summer we will likely need one in January. BUT we could start the season tomorrow with a 23 goal striker and two others, so it is not as high a priority as central defence and midfield where we currently don’t have enough players to put out a team.

As fun as 4-4 and 5-5 games are, we absolutely have to build from the back. We need clean sheets and that means two or three CBs above all else.
Robin
We need in my view:
1. A keeper (most likely a loanee to compete with Evans) although appears to hint we may keep Flinders so likely Owen stays first choice and we use the money to sign better centre backs on higher wages.
2. Two centre backs. We need that organiser back there which probably comes with experience and one ball playing centre back (I'd imagine that would mean a loanee and a permanent). Hopefully Freestone, Raglan are both only cover next season.
3. We need right wing back cover for Blair, Long is not a lg1 quality wing back. This could be a loanee or a younger player from the Championship like Williams.
4. If Thomas and Colkett leave we will need someone to compete with Bonds for the holding midfield role. Maybe this is Ellis Chapman if he signs.
5. We will need a box to box midfielder to compete with Sercombe (assuming he stays).
6. We will need two players capable of playing the number ten role.
7. We will need two big powerful forwards to replace Etete, Williams and Nun'Dulu.

So we are probably looking at ten players assuming we don't lose anyone under contract (or being offered one).
CKCharlie
Robin wrote: 01 May 2022, 10:20 We need in my view:
1. A keeper (most likely a loanee to compete with Evans) although appears to hint we may keep Flinders so likely Owen stays first choice and we use the money to sign better centre backs on higher wages.
2. Two centre backs. We need that organiser back there which probably comes with experience and one ball playing centre back (I'd imagine that would mean a loanee and a permanent). Hopefully Freestone, Raglan are both only cover next season.
3. We need right wing back cover for Blair, Long is not a lg1 quality wing back. This could be a loanee or a younger player from the Championship like Williams.
4. If Thomas and Colkett leave we will need someone to compete with Bonds for the holding midfield role. Maybe this is Ellis Chapman if he signs.
5. We will need a box to box midfielder to compete with Sercombe (assuming he stays).
6. We will need two players capable of playing the number ten role.
7. We will need two big powerful forwards to replace Etete, Williams and Nun'Dulu.

So we are probably looking at ten players assuming we don't lose anyone under contract (or being offered one).
1, I expect Flinders to get a new contract, not sure where that will leave Evans

2, Totally agree, I think Duff will get Long in the back 3, not sure that Raglan is more of a squad player.

3, Lloyd has filled in during the last 2 games, I won’t be surprised to see him there next season, if it works it will great as I am not sure he will survive as a forward.

Agree with the others
Robin
Evans has a contract for next season and clearly has decent potential, unless we are planning to loan him out to league two for more experience (not sure he needs that) then he will still be here unless of course we sell him.

On the defence Long has taken over Raglan for me as first choice in that right centre back slot. His distribution isn't great but he's calm back there and done well for me this season.

Not sure I like the idea of Lloyd at right wing back, he works hard but not got the defensive capabilities or skill to go past players. I feel he's there now only as we have nobody else.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Depends on what role Duff wants the RWB to play.

If he wants a role that prioritises the need for someone who can run end to end for 80-90 mins, continuously join in attacks and press high up the pitch then Lloyd can do that.

If he wants an RWB who contributes more defensively in the defensive line then no.

Roles are just as important as positions these days. You can have four RWBs in four different teams and they could each have different roles in their teams.
HamTown
Maybe I've unfairly got it cemented in my brain but I've felt more of our issues in defence have come to the left of CB (Pollock) and left of LCB (Boyle) rather than Raglan/Long's side - shame we don't have the stats to see it

I'm hoping we'd be in with a good chance of getting Dan N'lundulu back next season and as mentioned in another thread maybe even Finn Azaz

Regardless of who we sign, fingers crossed it can be as good as the brilliant January window - early and quality signings!
Fuller
Well it appears that Flinders, Sercombe and now Hutchinson have been offered new contracts.
And that might be it?
Robin
Fuller wrote: 01 May 2022, 12:34 Well it appears that Flinders, Sercombe and now Hutchinson have been offered new contracts.
And that might be it?
Ellis Chapman has been offered a new deal I think I heard Fuller, although maybe I am wrong :? . Offering Flinders a new deal is a bit of a surprise as it surely means no new keeper this summer.
Fuller
Sorry I forgot Ellis Chapman.
JP just tweeted Max Harris offered a deal too.
Robin
I was expecting Harris to stay and be cover through the summer if we are bringing in a loan keeper.
paperboy
As Flinders has all his coaching badges is it feasible for him to be offered GK player/coach role?
No idea of how long Dan Watson's contract is and he seems decent, but getting as much value as possible from the budget is always a priority.

Just a dreary Sunday afternoon thought really. 😀
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
HamTown wrote: 01 May 2022, 12:26 Maybe I've unfairly got it cemented in my brain but I've felt more of our issues in defence have come to the left of CB (Pollock) and left of LCB (Boyle) rather than Raglan/Long's side - shame we don't have the stats to see it

I'm hoping we'd be in with a good chance of getting Dan N'lundulu back next season and as mentioned in another thread maybe even Finn Azaz

Regardless of who we sign, fingers crossed it can be as good as the brilliant January window - early and quality signings!
Agree with you about Boyle and Pollock. Long has not been bad but he started as a stand-in CB to cover injuries so in my mind he has been playing out of position there.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Robin wrote: 01 May 2022, 13:56
Fuller wrote: 01 May 2022, 12:34 Well it appears that Flinders, Sercombe and now Hutchinson have been offered new contracts.
And that might be it?
Ellis Chapman has been offered a new deal I think I heard Fuller, although maybe I am wrong :? . Offering Flinders a new deal is a bit of a surprise as it surely means no new keeper this summer.
With A Williams going, Sercombe is important for some of that senior leadership as well as his quality.

If Sercs and Chapman both sign then we could start the season tomorrow with three midfielders which is good. It means anyone we sign is sighed to add quality, rather than to make numbers.

We don’t need a new keeper and we have limited resources. We have to focus resources on the positions where we don’t even have players, let alone good enough players.
Warwickshire Robin
I see Vadaine Oliver is leaving Gillingham, I think he would be ideal for us. Big, powerful and proven goalscorer at this level (got 11 goals last season on a really poor Gillingham side). Bit of a sh1thouser too which I think we need a bit more of!

Probably be a lot of competition for him from teams in mid to lower L1 level so may end up being a bit rich for us but exactly the sort of player who could do well with Alfie in my opinion.
horlickfanclub
I read that Oliver is going back north.
Warwickshire Robin
horlickfanclub wrote: 06 May 2022, 11:08 I read that Oliver is going back north.
Cheltenham is north of Gillingham isn't it? :lol:
horlickfanclub
Not far enough when you come from Sheffield.
Gillingham ·° N,51.386322
Cheltenham has a latitude of 51°53'57.79"N

Sheffield, is: N 53.381

Northeners are not really as northern as they make out.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
horlickfanclub wrote: 06 May 2022, 13:31 Not far enough when you come from Sheffield.
Gillingham ·° N,51.386322
Cheltenham has a latitude of 51°53'57.79"N

Sheffield, is: N 53.381

Northeners are not really as northern as they make out.
55.0464° where I am!

Depends if Oliver has Gillespie’s sense of geography.
Si Robin
Gillespie or Brian Wilson?
horlickfanclub
Brian Wilson lost the plot years ago but still wrote some good songs. Nice that Regency can keep in touch from an oil rig.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
horlickfanclub wrote: 06 May 2022, 18:20 Brian Wilson lost the plot years ago but still wrote some good songs. Nice that Regency can keep in touch from an oil rig.
Random. Firmly on terra firma.