Michael Duff

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

Robin
Shade wrote: 24 May 2022, 10:13
Robin wrote: 24 May 2022, 08:46 Yes, it's an odd link RCS. They are nothing to me other than a slightly bigger relatively local team.
Well...you just hit the nail on the head. They're the biggest "local" club so it makes sense that if people leave us for bigger and better things but don't want to move from the region, they're one of the obvious destinations. Plus the vast majority of us prefer City to Rovers.
Bigger than West Brom or Birmingham, possibly even Cardiff:? For me they've done well in recent times and established themselves in the 2nd tier but they not even a big club at that level.
SHANDY VOR
That might be the case Robin, but slightly bigger team :)

You do make I laugh
Si Robin
They only averaged 14,000 more than us don't you know, in their stadium that holds 20,000 more than Whaddon Road.

That's saying nothing of their near £14m annual wage bill compared to our £1.8m.

It's all relative of course.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
I would make City current favourites to be the next team never to be in the Premier League (ie 1992 onwards) to get to the Premier.

Millwall and Preston may beg to differ. Unless of course someone does a Brighton or Swansea and transform a club from L2 struggler to top flight side.
Robin
SHANDY VOR wrote: 24 May 2022, 17:16 That might be the case Robin, but slightly bigger team :)

You do make I laugh
Yes, my bad on the wording, they are a much bigger team that us, I was meaning more in the grander scheme they are not a big club. Probably a bottom third Championship club and with financial fair play issues and possible points deductions likely they are not where I'd want Duff to be heading.
Si Robin
You are literally the only person I've seen mention potential points deductions for them.

Not to call you a liar, but do you have a source for this?
Shade
When I say "local" I never mean West Midlands clubs, personally. Really, I'd have us at the north of our local region, with Bristol right at the south of it. The Severn is the western border and Swindon is the Eastern border. I make that 5 League clubs in that area. Strangely, I don't see anything north or much east of Cheltenham as local. Am I the only one? :lol:
Warwickshire Robin
Si Robin wrote: 25 May 2022, 09:58 You are literally the only person I've seen mention potential points deductions for them.

Looking back there were some reports earlier in the year about them potentially falling foul of FFP but have not seen anything recently so assume they must have sold their ground to themselves for millions or some other dodgy scheme to get around it! Also read they were apparently losing around £400k per week.
Robin
Si Robin wrote: 25 May 2022, 09:58 You are literally the only person I've seen mention potential points deductions for them.

Not too hand but there were reports not long ago that they as well as a couple of other clubs are likely to get points deductions this summer. It all ties back to the time when Lee Johnson was there and they were splashing out crazy money and the reason Nigel Pearson has largely relied upon free transfers and U-23 players from their youth set-up.
paperboy
This is one of the articles that Robin was probably referring to.

https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/sport/foo ... hy-6678301
Wellwisher
longmover wrote: 23 May 2022, 08:36 So operation 'keep Everton up' was a sterling success for the premier league as well as relegate Burnley, Brentford with nothing to play for get TWO men sent off in the last game of the season against Leeds :lol: :lol:
I was at the Brentford v Leeds game and it really wasn't as you suggest.

For one thing, BFC kept playing to their maximum in their final games even after relegation fears were banished, not least because the players' contracts are very heavily incentivised towards points/positions etc, while every higher league place is worth over £3m to the club.

And in this particular game, after Leeds went ahead on 56 minutes, the Bees manager made 3 substututions, bringing on 3 attacking players for two defenders and a defensive midfielder.

Then, having already used all their permitted subs, another Bees defender had to go off injured i.e. not a sending off. But despite being down to 10 men, they kept attacking and got an equaliser via Canos, one of the subs. Unfortunately he got a yellow card for taking off his shirt as he celebrated like a madman, then two mintes later got a second card, for a wild lunge when he was still obviously hyped up - stupid, but at least showed he was up for a fight.

And even when down to 9 men, the Bees still tried to attack Leeds (the best form of defence?), and created chances, only for Leeds to get a winner in the 5th of 5 added minutes, and then only thanks to a cruel deflection which wrongfooted the keeper.

As I said to my mate on the way out, Brentford weren't so much "on the beach" as "in the trenches"!

So there was no more a PL "Operation Send Burnley Down" than there was an "Operation Keep Everton Up" , while Dirty Leeds just got lucky (the bar stewards).

Meanwhile, getting back on topic, it looks as f the Burnley job is Vincent Kompany's to refuse, so your man Michael Duff won't be going there, since even if VK declines, their Board is clearly looking for a "name".
longmover
Wellwisher wrote: 25 May 2022, 22:55
longmover wrote: 23 May 2022, 08:36 So operation 'keep Everton up' was a sterling success for the premier league as well as relegate Burnley, Brentford with nothing to play for get TWO men sent off in the last game of the season against Leeds :lol: :lol:

Then, having already used all their permitted subs, another Bees defender had to go off injured i.e. not a sending off. But despite being down to 10 men, they kept attacking and got an equaliser via Canos, one of the subs. Unfortunately he got a yellow card for taking off his shirt as he celebrated like a madman, then two mintes later got a second card, for a wild lunge when he was still obviously hyped up - stupid, but at least showed he was up for a fight.
so the prems 'man' did his job well then :roll:
Robin
OK so an update on this it appears Barnsley have a short list of five managers believed to be:
1. Mike Duff
2. Martin Devaney
3. Neil Warnock
4. Paul Cook
5. Jimmy Floyd-Hasselbank

The club have had an initial conversation with all of them and asked each to fill in a questionnaire to check they are on the same page (presumably they exclude now anyone who isn't). No interviews yet as Barnsley need to finish their budget for next season and want to do that to ensure any new manager can work within it. Also Paul Cook is in the national league play off final this weekend so isn't available for interview until after that game.

Sounds like we won't hear anything until some point next week which is clearly not great for our summer preparations and recruitment.
Si Robin
Playoff semi-final - the final is next weekend, if Chesterfield get there.
Warwickshire Robin
Robin wrote: 27 May 2022, 07:42
Sounds like we won't hear anything until some point next week which is clearly not great for our summer preparations and recruitment.
In fact it could be catastrophic! It is going to be hard enough for us to attract the quality of player we need to compete in League 1 next season with our size, budget and location without the added uncertainty of who is going to be our manager. I can't imagine any of the players we have offered contracts to who haven't yet resigned or any prospective new signing committing to us without knowing who is going to be running the show. Likewise Prem/Champ clubs agreeing to send us any youngsters on loan.

Add to this the shorter Pre Season due to the World Cup and Barnsley really are seriously damaging our immediate future whether they appoint MD or not.
Si Robin
Barnsley are? There's nothing stopping Duff saying "thanks, but no thanks".
Warwickshire Robin
Si Robin wrote: 27 May 2022, 08:31 Barnsley are? There's nothing stopping Duff saying "thanks, but no thanks".
Yes Barnsley are by taking so long in making a decision. Its 9 days now since the alleged approach was made and interviews aren't due to start anytime soon according to reports. Why would an ambitious man like MD say 'thanks but no thanks' without even having an interview?
Si Robin
It's up to them how they run their football club. They've gone through all the right channels and are taking their time. They're not doing it to simply ruin our summer. There's nothing stopping the club saying to Duff, we've given permission, however we would like this resolved asap as we want to get on with summer building - either s#!t or get off the pot.

If Duff is so ambitious, then I'd have concerns about him going to a club like Barnsley, who's own fans think their board are a joke.
Warwickshire Robin
Absolutely it is up to them how they run their club and frankly I don't care how they do unless it affects CTFC which this is doing. As you say they are taking their time, as is their right, so I don't understand how you think MD can make a decision now when he hasn't even had the chance to speak to them? If we did offer that ultimatum then I would imagine that would be more likely to be the beginning of the end of the working relationship between the manager and the board rather than solve the problem.

The debate as to whether Barnsley is the right club is another thing entirely and again I don't really care, all I care about is that this uncertainty is adversely affecting our chances of competing next season.
Robin
Before all this blew up I had heard we had players lined up, including a permanent move for a player on a fee and a loan player, both from clubs in the West Midlands, I hope these don't fall through due to whatever is happening with our manager. They say lightening doesn't strike twice but we missed out on players last summer who were close to joining because of board room upheaval.
Nesty
I find the whole business bizarre to say the least , MD to Barnsley ? really ??!!!
Fuller
Nesty wrote: 27 May 2022, 13:24 I find the whole business bizarre to say the least , MD to Barnsley ? really ??!!!
Fuller
Nesty wrote: 27 May 2022, 13:24 I find the whole business bizarre to say the least , MD to Barnsley ? really ??!!!
Barnsley are a bigger and better club than we can ever be.
Barnsley have been a Premier League club, and FA Cup semi finalists, in the last 25 years. And they would hope to bounce straight back into the Championship.
Like Burnley, Barnsley is a small working class town where a large percentage of the population support the football club with fervour.
I see no reason why MD would not be interested in speaking to Barnsley.
Wellwisher
Fuller wrote: 27 May 2022, 13:55 I see no reason why MD would not be interested in speaking to Barnsley.
In normal circumstances, yes.

But "normal" hardly applies to the lot who run Barnsley.

For one thing, there is clear boardroom instability at the club. They've just been relegated. Relegation will hurt them financially. Oh, and they need a new manager (obv).

Regarding this last one, the normal approach would be to determine what kind of manager the club needs, draw up a Job Spec accordingly, and then find the person who best fits the specification.

Yet in terms of age, background, experience, current club (where still employed) etc, you couldn't find five more different candidates than their reported interview list. Worse, the process is eating up valuable time which the new appointee will need if he is to settle in, assess the squad he's inheriting, make new signings where necessary and start pre-season training. And worse still, the longer it goes on, the greater the danger that one or more of the five will be tempted to go elsewhere, or just give up on them as a bad job (literally).

Seems to me they haven't a clue what they want, which imo should be reason enough for MD to walk away, since he's hardly desperate to leave CTFC.

(Unless, of course, he's stringing it out to put more pressure on CTFC to give him what he wants for next season?)
Shade
Fuller wrote: 27 May 2022, 13:55
Barnsley are a bigger and better club than we can ever be.
Really? Get out.
Shade
You'd think MD will get fed up with waiting and jumping through hoops eventually, especially if he does end up staying here for whatever reason but the fannying about costs him players he wanted in his squad here, he then ends up having a c!#p next season and all of a sudden he's not quite as well thought of. As a manager, that would all be on his head, really. As Si said, he needs to, or the board need to tell him to, s#!t or get off the pot soon (always re-using a Clerks quote).
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
The fact Duff is interested in speaking to them and having an interview automatically shows he thinks they are a big enough club to make it worth it.

If the Board there and their way of doing things are as obviously hopeless as some on hear say then Duff wouldn’t be showing the interest he is.

It is what it is.
ctfc-fan
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:The fact Duff is interested in speaking to them and having an interview automatically shows he thinks they are a big enough club to make it worth it.

If the Board there and their way of doing things are as obviously hopeless as some on hear say then Duff wouldn’t be showing the interest he is.

It is what it is.
Has Duff actually said he’s interested? I thought all we had was GL saying they’d asked permission to speak to him but that’s all I’ve seen.
Nesty
Barnsley maybe WERE a big club , but are now L1 - Sunderland ARE a big club
little mo
There was a Fans Forum with the owner at Barnsley last night. When he was asked about the new manager situation he said they still have to interview the last five candidates,and he thinks the new man should be in place for pre-season training on 6th June.
I assume our pre-season starts about the same time. As our squad is very depleted ,is Duffo recruiting for us or them in the meantime. I am am now really thinking we are getting screwed over this.
ctfc-fan
I’m sure Duff is being very professional behind the scenes and lining up transfers for us, there’s nothing to stop him signing them either and could leave us with a better squad if he did go, after all he knows the areas he wanted to strengthen.
Robin
little mo wrote: 28 May 2022, 09:39 There was a Fans Forum with the owner at Barnsley last night. When he was asked about the new manager situation he said they still have to interview the last five candidates,and he thinks the new man should be in place for pre-season training on 6th June.
I assume our pre-season starts about the same time. As our squad is very depleted ,is Duffo recruiting for us or them in the meantime. I am am now really thinking we are getting screwed over this.
That's also my concern, season has ended a month ago and nothing much appears to be happening at the club (although I understood we are in for at least one permanent player for a fee and a loanee from Midlands clubs).
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
ctfc-fan wrote: 28 May 2022, 05:42
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:The fact Duff is interested in speaking to them and having an interview automatically shows he thinks they are a big enough club to make it worth it.

It is what it is.
Has Duff actually said he’s interested? I thought all we had was GL saying they’d asked permission to speak to him but that’s all I’ve seen.
Thought it was reported he was one of those being interviewed. Sorry if not.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Crikey, William Hill have Duff favourite at 1/2. Next shortest is Warnock at 5/1.

https://sports.williamhill.com/betting/ ... ey-Manager
Si Robin
Interestingly, and it seems to have flown under the radar, yesterday the club used a video of Duff on social media asking fans to buy a season ticket and he looked forward to seeing us next season.