Fixtures 22/23

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

Jerry St Clair
They're out next Thursday. One of the most exciting days of the season (until you find out you're travelling to Morecambe on a Tuesday night and your bubble is deflated).

This year League one is choc full of big names and local rivals. So, what do we want? Personally:

Exeter or Plymouth away in August (for a nice football/holiday combo)
FGR at home midweek. Local derbies are always better under the lights.
Derby away on the opening day (Risky. Potential for a huge, confidence-boosting win or a shattering hammering).
Barnsley.....whenever. Meh.
Si Robin
I'd like someone like Burton or Cambridge away on the opening day. One of those games I really won't mind missing because it's the wife's birthday on 28th July and she'll definitely want to do something on the 30th.
Robin
Honestly this time I don't care. I've visited all the grounds already so no major pulls there. Given we have a new manager coming in I'd probably take an easier game at home (Cambridge, Burton, Accrington, Morecambe, Fleetwood or Vale etc.).
longmover
both Ipswich and Sunderland Tuesday night (home and away) was a ruddy pain.
Warwickshire Robin
I always prefer to avoid the newly promoted clubs early on when they are still on the 'high' of promotion, feel it is better play them December/January time when the novelty has worn off as our record last season during those months kind of suggests.

Also, hoping that Barnsley at home is when I am on holiday, really not looking forward to that one. If I have to miss a home game then that would be the one!
Broadway Brian
Let’s face it, it will be Barnsley
Shade
I’d like someone up north away on the opening day. I’m driving back from northern Scotland that day and it would make for a nice stop, and save me getting up and leaving at 4am if we’re at home. Carlisle would have been a perfect midway point!
Shade
Broadway Brian wrote: 17 Jun 2022, 12:12 Let’s face it, it will be Barnsley
Barnsley, Shrews and Peterborough, all managed by ex Cheltenham legends and coming to the away dugout this season. Let’s hope we have a new legend in the making pacing around our dugout.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Ipswich away on a Saturday please, same for Exeter and Morecambe. All in summer/spring as well.

FGR will take whenever it comes. Boxing Day perhaps?
Si Robin
Bound to be Exeter or Plymouth on Boxing Day and probably at home, assuming we have to play away on NYD due to the racing. Though NYD being a Sunday may change that (I honestly don't know).
Robin
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote: 17 Jun 2022, 17:56 Ipswich away on a Saturday please, same for Exeter and Morecambe. All in summer/spring as well.

No chance of Glos police allowing FGR on Boxing Day. It will be Oxford, Shrewsbury, Exeter or Plymouth (with the other Devon side likely playing Bristol Rovers or FGR.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Robin wrote: 17 Jun 2022, 18:20
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote: 17 Jun 2022, 17:56 Ipswich away on a Saturday please, same for Exeter and Morecambe. All in summer/spring as well.

No chance of Glos police allowing FGR on Boxing Day. It will be Oxford, Shrewsbury, Exeter or Plymouth (with the other Devon side likely playing Bristol Rovers or FGR.
Oxford or Plymouth fans are surely more of a risk than FGR?
PittvillePundit
A question.

As the season is starting earlier than usual and LI and L2 aren't having a World Cup break does this mean fewer midweek fixture rounds this season?
Jerry St Clair
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:
Oxford or Plymouth fans are surely more of a risk than FGR?
Yeah, Boxing Day much more likely to be a local-ish fixture that doesn't require major police resources: MK, Wycombe or even Shrewsbury.
paperboy
I've noticed a few clubs offering Fixture Day business breakfasts with the manager etc. in attendance.
Clearly an initiative aimed at getting more sponsorship on board.
I've not seen us offer anything, but it would be worth trying maybe- not that we've got a manager at present though!

Others like Plymouth open it up to fans at £15 per head.