Final say

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

Fuller
Interesting words here from Mickey Moore -

https://www.ctfc.com/news/2022/june/owen-evans/

"Final say" on signings down to the Head Coach.
I thought the modern way is for the Director of Football to find and make the signings, and for the Head Coach to coach them and the team?
Certainly the way it appears at some bigger clubs these days.
Difficult at times to see the demarcation in title between Head Coach and Manager.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
I guess it is in no-one’s interest for the head coach to be made to work with players he does not want. Bad for cohesion and morale.

The art is for Moore to get it so right that the Head Coach can review and approve quickly without concern.
Robin
My understanding is Moore identifies the players based upon what the mgr/head coach is looking for. He then goes away and does all the negotiations then the mgr/head coach says yes I am happy with that that budget wise and they close it out , at least that's how it was under Duff.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Robin wrote: 21 Jun 2022, 15:27 My understanding is Moore identifies the players based upon what the mgr/head coach is looking for. He then goes away and does all the negotiations then the mgr/head coach says yes I am happy with that that budget wise and they close it out , at least that's how it was under Duff.
Good point. I guess also if the Board say there is £300k available for wages Moore can present different combinations of players for the coach to choose. Eg he might say for £300k we can have this decent striker, a midfielder and a defender, or, we could get four players if we went for a different combination. Different coaches like to put the puzzle together in different ways.