Cheltenham Town v Peterborough United

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Ralph wrote: 30 Jul 2022, 22:50 Now we need to go to Barnsley and win.
We don’t need to but it would be nice.

Barnsley likely to be top two contenders with Peterborough, so again, defeat likely.
Si Robin
Whilst Peterborough were much better in the second half, we didn't half give them a helping hand. We basically camped on our 18 yard line and invited them to break us down. Then when we decided to push the defence up, the midfield didn't bother. At one point there was about 7 players strewn across the halfway line because the midfield had simply not moved forward like they should have done.

What's annoying is that this is not a new thing, we did it time and again last season and it has never worked.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Si Robin wrote: 31 Jul 2022, 07:58 Whilst Peterborough were much better in the second half, we didn't half give them a helping hand. We basically camped on our 18 yard line and invited them to break us down. Then when we decided to push the defence up, the midfield didn't bother. At one point there was about 7 players strewn across the halfway line because the midfield had simply not moved forward like they should have done.

What's annoying is that this is not a new thing, we did it time and again last season and it has never worked.
It did give us the best ever season in the club’s history, of course.

Not all teams will punish us like Peterborough can, or force us into poor decisions like that.

But yes, still plenty to learn, and plenty of the season left to enjoy.
shevates
First half play off potential, second half fodder for every team in league 1. Freestone not a fav of mine but he won a lot for us yesterday and played well as for Raglan he was awful. The form of our centre backs this season will be crucial. Up front we looked ok midfield first half were excellent, but as the norm it seems to be at home they played 5 yards infront of our defensive line inviting Posh on. Early doors but there is an alarm bell ringing regarding our defence
CTFCfan99
shevates wrote: 31 Jul 2022, 12:32 First half play off potential, second half fodder for every team in league 1. Freestone not a fav of mine but he won a lot for us yesterday and played well as for Raglan he was awful. The form of our centre backs this season will be crucial. Up front we looked ok midfield first half were excellent, but as the norm it seems to be at home they played 5 yards infront of our defensive line inviting Posh on. Early doors but there is an alarm bell ringing regarding our defence
I'd hope it won't be long before we have Long-Taylor-Bradbury as the starting 3. I like Raglan but agree he was poor yesterday, and Freestone had a better game but still not sure I'd trust him long term.
Fuller
shevates wrote: 31 Jul 2022, 12:32 First half play off potential, second half fodder for every team in league 1. Freestone not a fav of mine but he won a lot for us yesterday and played well as for Raglan he was awful. The form of our centre backs this season will be crucial. Up front we looked ok midfield first half were excellent, but as the norm it seems to be at home they played 5 yards infront of our defensive line inviting Posh on. Early doors but there is an alarm bell ringing regarding our defence
Well summed up Steve. I rate Williams but twice he was beaten on the outside and then the crosses meant we conceded two poor goals. Mind you their two forwards are amongst the top few in League One.
Apparently another midfielder and forward due in soon, but I’d rather we are looking for an experienced centre half. Could be the difference between a season of struggle or relative safety.
CS85
Unless the midfielder coming in is very experienced and a very very good footballer it's a waste of budget to me,we have plenty of midfield options already.
We need a proper centre back,but this should have been sorted already.
Broadway Brian
CS85 wrote:Unless the midfielder coming in is very experienced and a very very good footballer it's a waste of budget to me,we have plenty of midfield options already.
It’s definitely not our weakest area but we need better in depth than Chapman for me. Rarely has any positive impact.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
CS85 wrote: 31 Jul 2022, 15:19 Unless the midfielder coming in is very experienced and a very very good footballer it's a waste of budget to me,we have plenty of midfield options already.
Suggest you point this out to Moore and Wade as it is clearly something they haven’t considered and thought about :roll:
HamTown
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote: 31 Jul 2022, 17:53
CS85 wrote: 31 Jul 2022, 15:19 Unless the midfielder coming in is very experienced and a very very good footballer it's a waste of budget to me,we have plenty of midfield options already.
Suggest you point this out to Moore and Wade as it is clearly something they haven’t considered and thought about :roll:
It's called having an opinion :roll: and a sensible one at that
Robin
Broadway Brian wrote: 31 Jul 2022, 17:27
CS85 wrote:Unless the midfielder coming in is very experienced and a very very good footballer it's a waste of budget to me,we have plenty of midfield options already.
It’s definitely not our weakest area but we need better in depth than Chapman for me. Rarely has any positive impact.
Chapman has just been given a new two year deal. Like others have said we need to sign a centre half, if that means listing one of our existing ones I'd be OK with that too.
SOFT MACHINE
Also at the game and yes, agreed, we were pretty hot in the first half, but................ Was there a degree of naivety on our part? Just down from the Championship and used to having to mix it with the big boys, who thought they wouldn't bully us in the second half? Yes, playing out from the back all looks pretty stylish when done with aplomb but with a budding Allsop & Naylor upfront surely the long ball now and again just to mix things up a bit? Peterborough were pressing us in numbers in OUR own area and an accurate ball over the top would have cut out most of their team and, quite possibly, nicked us a goal! No, we don't want to see that week in and week out but a bit of nous from time to time wouldn't go amiss.
paperboy
1. Very early reminder that football is a game of two halves!
2. If you enjoy 0-0 draws perhaps don't visit The Completely Suzuki Stadium.
Broadway Brian
Robin wrote:
Broadway Brian wrote: 31 Jul 2022, 17:27
Chapman has just been given a new two year deal. Like others have said we need to sign a centre half, if that means listing one of our existing ones I'd be OK with that too.
Agreed re centre-half but irrespective of whether EC has signed a contract, we need better.
CS85
Clearly they haven't, we have a non league centre back,2 of the same who shipped 80 odd goals last season and a kid from wba.
But ofcourse your opinion is mightier than mine sat in your arm chair up in that northern s#!t tip. :lol:
Shade
Although our defence isn't great, a reminder that we won't be coming up against Peterborough every week, who notoriously always score a shed load and seem to always have the pick of some of the best strikers in League 1.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
CS85 wrote: 31 Jul 2022, 21:52
Clearly they haven't, we have a non league centre back,2 of the same who shipped 80 odd goals last season and a kid from wba.
But ofcourse your opinion is mightier than mine sat in your arm chair up in that northern s#!t tip. :lol:
Crikey. Bad start to the week? :lol:

I find it hard to agree that the recruitment and coaching staff haven’t given any thought or consideration to our defence. That’s different to us being able to attract and sign anyone better, of course.

If you’re right and they haven’t given it any thought or tried to find better who are willing and able to sign then how they both have a job in football I will never know.

No need to get personal!
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
HamTown wrote: 31 Jul 2022, 18:30
Yes. CS85 gave an opinion. I also gave my opinion. So what’s the problem?

My opinion that MM and WE will be thinking about how to improve the defence, and have likely tried to, seems eminently sensible to me. But others are entitled to have their own opinion.

No need to be a snowflake about it.
HamTown
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote: 01 Aug 2022, 11:57

My opinion that MM and WE will be thinking about how to improve the defence, and have likely tried to, seems eminently sensible to me. But others are entitled to have their own opinion.

It seemed to me to be dismissive, if I misinterpreted that I apologise.

I like to hear all opinions from all angles. Sorry if that makes me a snowflake.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
HamTown wrote: 01 Aug 2022, 14:00
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote: 01 Aug 2022, 11:57

It seemed to me to be dismissive, if I misinterpreted that I apologise.

I like to hear all opinions from all angles. Sorry if that makes me a snowflake.
Apology accepted.

I also like to hear all opinions from all angles, hence calling people snowflakes for getting worked up when I gave my opinion - which should be as valid and welcome as all.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Szmodics scores for Blackburn in the Championship after they signed him from Peterborough.

They had already had three bids rejected. If only they signed him before we played Peterborough we would have won!