Problem

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

little mo
Houston,we have a problem. :shock:
Robin
Agree but what is the answer to the problem. We need to add some quality in key positions but we've used up all our loans and will need to pay decent fees to get players at this stage of the window. If we don't address those gaps though things will get ugly fairly soon.
MittonRobin
Going down the cheap managerial route will
Cost CTFC. He isn’t anywhere near up to
It
Robin
We could have Duff still here and whilst we wouldn't have lost 7-0 he's still lumbered with George LLoyd et al.
MittonRobin
Robin wrote: 09 Aug 2022, 20:44 We could have Duff still here and whilst we wouldn't have lost 7-0 he's still lumbered with George LLoyd et al.
I’m sorry but even I could have produced a better managerial performance than that this evening. Rabbit in headlights comes to mind. Should never have got the job. Simple
Si Robin
MittonRobin wrote: 09 Aug 2022, 20:42 Going down the cheap managerial route will
It
This isn't to defend Wade at all, tonight is absolutely shocking and no-one can dispute it, but something baffles me. Genuine question - why do you only post when things are looking down? It's been brilliant for the last couple of years and you've not been seen at all? It seems very strange.

I couldn't help myself, I had to check to see if you've ever posted anything positive, and would you believe it, you didn't post at all in our championship winning season, posted last year about the club being stuck in the 80s and when Tozer went (what a disgrace that was), and not long after appointing Michael Duff is this absolute cracker:
MittonRobin wrote: 13 Nov 2018, 16:45
vickeryc wrote:
MittonRobin wrote:To be honest if we lose to Nott's County Saturday I don't think Duff will be too far behind. Fans are beginning to get annoyed again.
It sounds like you might be suggesting that 'annoyed' fans could dictate club policy (again). You could be proved right -as happened with the dismissals of Yates and Johnson! It's bizarre how a minority of disgruntled, mouthy, fans can influence such things and it's mega-concerning how destructive the consequences can be.
Sorry but as a season ticket holder of 15 years or so, the current quality on show is the worst I have seen in that time. I wanted Johnson gone 100% and I personally thought that Duff would be a mile out of his depth and I still believe that. We go down this year and we wont come back. I don't think the board can risk that happening.
Another thing I noticed, I raised this 3 years ago and the response was that you've spent money so can say what you want. I get that, and I agree with it, I just don't get why you would only post negatively.
duckers
Wade needs time, like Duff did. He's very much from the same mould. Albeit he's not a defensive coach.
Si Robin
This is the concern - the defence is, by some distance, our weakest area of the pitch. Bignot's apparently been brought in to work with them and so far they look shocking.

I can't comment on the Barnsley game, where we apparently seemed solid, but the 2nd half against Peterborough was worse than my u11s last season, and we regularly conceded 6/7 goals.
MittonRobin
Si Robin wrote: 09 Aug 2022, 21:02
MittonRobin wrote: 09 Aug 2022, 20:42 Going down the cheap managerial route will
It
This isn't to defend Wade at all, tonight is absolutely shocking and no-one can dispute it, but something baffles me. Genuine question - why do you only post when things are looking down? It's been brilliant for the last couple of years and you've not been seen at all? It seems very strange.

I couldn't help myself, I had to check to see if you've ever posted anything positive, and would you believe it, you didn't post at all in our championship winning season, posted last year about the club being stuck in the 80s and when Tozer went (what a disgrace that was), and not long after appointing Michael Duff is this absolute cracker:
MittonRobin wrote: 13 Nov 2018, 16:45
vickeryc wrote: It sounds like you might be suggesting that 'annoyed' fans could dictate club policy (again). You could be proved right -as happened with the dismissals of Yates and Johnson! It's bizarre how a minority of disgruntled, mouthy, fans can influence such things and it's mega-concerning how destructive the consequences can be.
Sorry but as a season ticket holder of 15 years or so, the current quality on show is the worst I have seen in that time. I wanted Johnson gone 100% and I personally thought that Duff would be a mile out of his depth and I still believe that. We go down this year and we wont come back. I don't think the board can risk that happening.
Another thing I noticed, I raised this 3 years ago and the response was that you've spent money so can say what you want. I get that, and I agree with it, I just don't get why you would only post negatively.
You can sit behind a keyboard and bully people as much as you like. I am a 62 year old gentleman that can have my opinion .. I’ll be positive, tonight was a brilliant performance wasn’t it !
I don’t have time to sit on here like you may do every minute of every day, however I love my club and this is worrying times. Your pretending if you can’t see that !
Si Robin
So you've completely ignored my question.

Not once did I say it was a good performance, not sure how I'm bullying you, and I'm not pretending anything.

It's a simple question - why do you never post when things aren't looking bad?

Let's for arguments sake, say we go unbeaten for the rest of the season (of course we won't, but let's have some fun) - we won't see a single post from you praising the club or the management. However, after that great run, two big defeats and you'll be on here preaching about how the club are in a mess, that we're so stuck back in the times that it's a non-league s#!t show, and that whoever is manager isn't up to the job.

Life's too short to live in a state of negativity. Enjoy it.
Broadway Brian
Si Robin wrote:This is the concern - the defence is, by some distance, our weakest area of the pitch. Bignot's apparently been brought in to work with them and so far they look shocking.

I can't comment on the Barnsley game, where we apparently seemed solid, but the 2nd half against Peterborough was worse than my u11s last season, and we regularly conceded 6/7 goals.
Si Robin, you’re getting sacked in the morning… Image
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
In my opinion, despite the result, it is too early into the season to write off the players and Wade the way some have.

It is how they react in moments like these where the club, players and head coach can really be judged.

The Club need to back their decision and processes. Us fans need to turn out on Saturday in positive fashion, Wade needs to send out the players tactically right and psychologically prepared, and the players have to perform well. Hopefully that gets us the result, but it is the response to tonight which is important. This result can be a turning point for the better and galvanise the team if the response is right.

Southampton lost 9-0 to Leicester, but kept faith in how they operated and in the manager, and ended up beating Leicester 2-1 in the reverse fixture and having a good season.

One league cup game in August does not make or break a season. Judge the team on how we respond in the coming weeks. The next month after tonight is where we see what the players and head coach are really about.
Si Robin
Broadway Brian wrote: 09 Aug 2022, 21:47
Si Robin wrote:This is the concern - the defence is, by some distance, our weakest area of the pitch. Bignot's apparently been brought in to work with them and so far they look shocking.

Si Robin, you’re getting sacked in the morning… Image
They wouldn't dare :lol:
longmover
Not great to lose by seven but lets get some perspective please the two league we played in we've looked decent, mistakes but decent, one cup game will not make our season.

We go very lucky with the loans we had last season and there was very little chance we would land on out feet and replace them like for like. We're a tiny club with no money we have to deal with what we have.

lets see where we are in a few games time shall we, two clubs that got relegated from the champ have only beaten us by one goal.

COYRS!!!
Si Robin
longmover wrote: 10 Aug 2022, 10:12 Not great to lose by seven but lets get some perspective please the two league we played in we've looked decent, mistakes but decent, one cup game will not make our season.

We go very lucky with the loans we had last season and there was very little chance we would land on out feet and replace them like for like. We're a tiny club with no money we have to deal with what we have.

lets see where we are in a few games time shall we, two clubs that got relegated from the champ have only beaten us by one goal.

COYRS!!!
If what I've heard is true, then this point is a very big one.

Why have we not replaced the goalkeeper coach or analyst yet? Why have we taken on a bloke who likely wouldn't have been hired elsewhere so soon after an FA charge? It's because we're not offering a good enough wage to anyone with the required attributes.

The team may well be made up using the biggest budget in this club's history, but it's no good if that is at the detriment of the backroom staff.

I've been a fan of Mickey Moore's recruitment since he came in, but I wonder how much was tempered by Duff as the front man. Would Marcus Bignot (and I'm only using him as an example) have been hired if he wasn't Moore's mate?

Something isn't sitting right at the moment/
longmover
Si Robin wrote: 10 Aug 2022, 10:31
longmover wrote: 10 Aug 2022, 10:12 Not great to lose by seven but lets get some perspective please the two league we played in we've looked decent, mistakes but decent, one cup game will not make our season.

COYRS!!!
If what I've heard is true, then this point is a very big one.

Why have we not replaced the goalkeeper coach or analyst yet? Why have we taken on a bloke who likely wouldn't have been hired elsewhere so soon after an FA charge? It's because we're not offering a good enough wage to anyone with the required attributes.

The team may well be made up using the biggest budget in this club's history, but it's no good if that is at the detriment of the backroom staff.

I've been a fan of Mickey Moore's recruitment since he came in, but I wonder how much was tempered by Duff as the front man. Would Marcus Bignot (and I'm only using him as an example) have been hired if he wasn't Moore's mate?

Something isn't sitting right at the moment/
I think Duff leaving makes things feel a bit odd at the moment and causing panic / unrest. Maybe the club could have been more prepared when they new Duff was going to leave, the whole process seemed rushed and not really thought through.

When you look at Ipswich who signed that lad from Leeds for north of £1m and also just signed Keogh then you look at CTFC, its utterly insane.