Solution

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

Robin
Emotions were clearly running high last night and this morning so I tried not comment too much. Whilst last night was completely unacceptable there doesn't appear to be much discussion as to what is needed so here are my thoughts:
1. We need to avoid an over reaction. Yes last night was not good enough and there have been some concerns which are clear all through the summer that need to be addressed as priority we need calm heads and acceptance from those in charge of the club that said issues need to be addressed as priority.
2 . The defence absolutely needs to be improved. No more pussy footing around the defence is not good enough and some of the decisions taken this summer will force us into some tough decisions but we absolutely must address this before closure of the window. A top centre back needs to come in who is better than we currently have and will start most games , if that means a club stalwart like Raglan gets moved out or players like Bradbury, Freestone, Horton need to go out on loan then we just have to take it on the chin.
3 . Another big powerful striker is still needed. Our attacking options from the bench are powder puff, we need someone who can compete with NLundulu and is good enough to start regularly or at least come off the bench and change a game. It's been obvious in both league games that there is no serious competition from the bench.
4. The Gaffer. Wade has made mistakes but should be given at least until January, if we are bottom four then his job is in serious danger, if last night happens in a league game then the pressure will be right on but knee jerk change of mgmt is not the solution.
5. Overall. I suspect there is going to be a busy couple of weeks at the club. The board may need to increase the budget to ensure we get 2-3 players of genuine quality in and Mickey Moore needs to get the right players i.e. good enough to improve the first eleven and get a couple out to balance the books.

If we fail to do the above then I fear things could go south and jeopardise our hard earned status at this level.
longmover
The defense looks better with Taylor in it, he's big mobile and can pass, Long is steady but I do worry about Raglan. One thing I find with the defense is they're always trying to find the cute (exit) ball across, sometimes you just need to get rid of it and move up.
Horteng
I do not want to see any knee jerk reaction re the managers job however I feel it needs to be assessed after 10/12 games. Leaving it until January would be suicidal if we are in trouble at that point
Ihearye
Defence was poor last year and had hoped that with Will moving out it would give us the room to get a better passer of the ball with a bit more speed. Have only seen the final warm up match and the only one at the back that looked an improvement was Jackson. Pollock for all his pitfalls was at least a big unit who would go for the ball. It worries me a lot, that Barkers is even thought of as a possible solution down the line.
Yes you get freak results, but for us to be conceding 7 goals at home to an Exeter who got promoted on a shoe string budget, is just an embarrassment. It doesn't really compare to Southampton getting turned over by Leicester, where it could easily be argued Leicester would have been looked upon as the better team.
Also, object to Wade calling us a League 2 team, we are in League 1 and his priority should be keeping us there. Not explaining how we are lucky to be here
Broadway Brian
Ihearye wrote:Defence was poor last year and had hoped that with Will moving out it would give us the room to get a better passer of the ball with a bit more speed. Have only seen the final warm up match and the only one at the back that looked an improvement was Jackson. Pollock for all his pitfalls was at least a big unit who would go for the ball. It worries me a lot, that Barkers is even thought of as a possible solution down the line.
Yes you get freak results, but for us to be conceding 7 goals at home to an Exeter who got promoted on a shoe string budget, is just an embarrassment. It doesn't really compare to Southampton getting turned over by Leicester, where it could easily be argued Leicester would have been looked upon as the better team.
Also, object to Wade calling us a League 2 team, we are in League 1 and his priority should be keeping us there. Not explaining how we are lucky to be here
Great points and even better to see Jackson Pollock appear in the middle of the post…
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Broadway Brian wrote: 10 Aug 2022, 15:51
Ihearye wrote:Defence was poor last year and had hoped that with Will moving out it would give us the room to get a better passer of the ball with a bit more speed. Have only seen the final warm up match and the only one at the back that looked an improvement was Jackson. Pollock for all his pitfalls was at least a big unit who would go for the ball. It worries me a lot, that Barkers is even thought of as a possible solution down the line.
Great points and even better to see Jackson Pollock appear in the middle of the post…
Hopefully some expressionist football on display this weekend.
Ihearye
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote: 10 Aug 2022, 16:07
Hopefully some expressionist football on display this weekend.
needs to be, some need to start earning their wages and stop WFH
Ihearye
if a picture / painting paints a thousand words :)