A Big difference from last season

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

shevates
The difference between our current side and last seasons side is worlds apart. We lost two goalkeepers in the summer, to be replaced by two weaker keepers in my view ( and before I continue, these are my views ) In defence weve lost Boyle and Pollock, two massive players to loose, both instrumental to were we finished last season, have we replaced them with as good or better ? A no brainer

In Midfield just the loss of Callum Wright weakens us immensely. I like Taylor Perry, and Liam Sercombe, but are the rest of our midfield unit up to it. ?

Up front we have two capable strikers in Alfie May and Daniel Nlundulu who between them could or should score near 30 goals between them,  but with our midfield who is going to create those chances for them ?. The other problem is up front no one else are Division one standard, really poor. Williams might of been better than what we got.

Then of course a change of management. Duffs boots were going to be hard to fill not an easy job to take on. EW management ways are totally the opposite to those of Duffs. I like a vocal manager who will question a referees decision, constanly having a go at the 4th official. So far EW hasnt said a word to any officials,  last night hands in pockets just watching on, not even shouting at our players for their performance. Grant McCann hardly said a word, just watched Posh, but his staff were constantly talking to the 4th, ours was sat on the water bucket.

Last night we made 8 changes to the side that lost to Barnsley, I dont understand why Luke Southwood played, surly our number 2 should of been given a start. Raglan and Bonds played because they were poor at Barnsley,  they were even worse last night. Before anyone says well we made 8 changes from Saturday's game, on the same Saturday Exeter beat Port Vale 4 nil they made 5 changes and by the end of the game they had made 8 changes. Shows clearly how weak our squad is . The likes of Ellis Chapman, George Lloyd, Callum Ebanks and others,  are they really good enough ? We lack a leader on the pitch Raglan is not captain material, and the Management need to prove they are in charge.

Finally I like to have my say in here, not at the game, some things which were being shouted out to certain pkayers was out of order in my eyes, there playing because they were offered contracts, not there fault they dont reach expectations. Its a time they need our support lets get behind them on Saturday
Robin
Agree with almost all of what you say here Shevates. The decision not to improve the defence appears to be a huge error and will cost us unless we address this before the end of the window. Our strikers also need adding too quickly and with quality. Moore and Wade need to be ruthless to balance the books so that means pushing 1-2 out of the exit door so be it but the board need to back them financially, probably with fees at this point.

The only point I might disagree with you on is the keepers. I liked what I saw of MacDonald in pre-season and Southwood played a lot in the Championship last season so hopefully they are in improvement in that space. We do maybe miss the steady, experience of Flinders though already.
Si Robin
Robin wrote: 10 Aug 2022, 17:00 Agree with almost all of what you say here Shevates. The decision not to improve the defence appears to be a huge error and will cost us unless we address this before the end of the window. Our strikers also need adding too quickly and with quality. Moore and Wade need to be ruthless to balance the books so that means pushing 1-2 out of the exit door so be it but the board need to back them financially, probably with fees at this point.

The only point I might disagree with you on is the keepers. I liked what I saw of MacDonald in pre-season and Southwood played a lot in the Championship last season so hopefully they are in improvement in that space. We do maybe miss the steady, experience of Flinders though already.
I've seen this a lot today - these players are on contracts, long ones in some cases, who is going to take them off us?

It's the same as questioning why our players don't go on loan higher up the pyramid - there has to be interest from those clubs to take them in the first place.
Horteng
One big difference you have missed...... Michael Duff :(
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Horteng wrote: 10 Aug 2022, 17:41 One big difference you have missed...... Michael Duff :(
Fourth paragraph, first two sentences.
Robin
If we listed Raglan I would be shocked if several league two sides were not interested. Even George Lloyd had a few league two sides prepared to take him last season and he's far less proven at that level. I know we cannot physically force players to leave but I cannot imagine we couldn't shift a few out if we wanted too. Bradbury we beat off competition from Burton and Tranmere if you listen to those close to our club so again I think we could find someone willing to take him.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Si Robin wrote: 10 Aug 2022, 17:21
Robin wrote: 10 Aug 2022, 17:00 Agree with almost all of what you say here Shevates. The decision not to improve the defence appears to be a huge error and will cost us unless we address this before the end of the window. Our strikers also need adding too quickly and with quality. Moore and Wade need to be ruthless to balance the books so that means pushing 1-2 out of the exit door so be it but the board need to back them financially, probably with fees at this point.

I've seen this a lot today - these players are on contracts, long ones in some cases, who is going to take them off us?

It's the same as questioning why our players don't go on loan higher up the pyramid - there has to be interest from those clubs to take them in the first place.
It’s the Championship Manager cheat mode approach.
Nesty
People are saying we didnt improve the defence - is that quantitively or qualitatively !! - we have TWELVE defenders on the payroll.
Robin
It's qualitative Nesty, we had a weak centre of defence last season and it's noticeably weaker this season.
shevates
Robin wrote: 10 Aug 2022, 17:43 If we listed Raglan I would be shocked if several league two sides were not interested. Even George Lloyd had a few league two sides prepared to take him last season and he's far less proven at that level. I know we cannot physically force players to leave but I cannot imagine we couldn't shift a few out if we wanted too. Bradbury we beat off competition from Burton and Tranmere if you listen to those close to our club so again I think we could find someone willing to take him.
Lloyd has been a pro footballer since 2017.
5 years or so now, he hasnt broken through to challenge for a start in the first team hes now played in 100 games played 7 games for Port Vale scored none, played 19 games for Hereford United 3 goals at that level. so in 74 games for us hes scored 6 a total of 9 goals in 100 games across different levels of football. Is that good enough ?
Fuller
Lloydy was prolific as a CTFC youth team player, looked to have a bright future, but sadly his career has stalled with us.
Who knows where all this is going to end up so early in the season. All the optimism seems to be disappearing, but most of the players deserve a chance, but they do need to take it quickly.
“A new chapter” is our catchphrase. Not sure how long that will last for?
Ihearye
Let's be honest, there is nobody knocking on the door for any of our players - even Alfie, who I suspect may never recreate last year's second half of the season. We are stuck with what we have. Have no idea, but would suspect there is not much left in the budget for a quality back 3 player or a quality forward. As has been said the players brought in are here because they were offered a contract. If not up to the grade, the issue lies elsewhere. However, effort and desire should not need to be coached into them. Never doubted EW would get the job, it is the CTFC way. The board said he was the best candidate, time for that to be proven .