Flinders said

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

andgarod
When Flinders left he said that the club had decided to go a different route with keepers

Are we to assume that means we are not going to appoint a goal keeping coach and rely on our academy coach and the keepers themselves

If that is the case bring back booky
Robin
I believe he meant we wanted keepers who are comfortable with their feet and with good distribution as we want to play out from the back. I would be shocked if a keeping coach doesn't come in but likely not before the performance analyst role which is vacant and more important.
Si Robin
When Flinders went the current goalkeeping coach wasn't on his way out of the door, that came a few weeks later.

From what I've been told, the reason we're struggling to appoint a new GK coach is because we're offering a pittance in wages.
longmover
Si Robin wrote: 11 Aug 2022, 08:56 When Flinders went the current goalkeeping coach wasn't on his way out of the door, that came a few weeks later.

From what I've been told, the reason we're struggling to appoint a new GK coach is because we're offering a pittance in wages.
quelle surprise :roll:
Ihearye
Robin wrote: 11 Aug 2022, 08:56 I believe he meant we wanted keepers who are comfortable with their feet and with good distribution as we want to play out from the back. I would be shocked if a keeping coach doesn't come in but likely not before the performance analyst role which is vacant and more important.

Is there any chance they could also double up by playing in the centre of a back 3?
Horteng
Si Robin wrote: 11 Aug 2022, 08:56 When Flinders went the current goalkeeping coach wasn't on his way out of the door, that came a few weeks later.

Is it safe to assume the same situation with the managers situation?
Si Robin
I wouldn't know - I've not been told, but I don't know why you would make that assumption. It could be because of his promotion from coach to manager that we have to make allowances with the rest of the staff.

I know some people are desperate to believe we only appointed Wade because he was the cheap option, but I don't believe that to be the case myself.
duckers
Yes Wade has all the credentials. He's intelligent, speaks really well, captained all the clubs he played for, has strong connections with our two biggest club legends (Cotterill & Duff) and he's played a big part in the success of our past two seasons. Loosing Duff was always going to be a massive challenge for the club. What we don't need is people turning on our new gaffer after one horrendous performance by our reserves when our best players were not on the pitch (Cailub Taylor, Taylor Perry, Liam Sercombe, Dan Nlundulu, Alfie May). It's clear that we lack strength in depth compared with other sides but that's obvoius with our budget. I'm certainly not panicing or going to post a load of doom and gloom online like a load of others have done since Tuesday as the signs of the post Duff era were encouraging against Peterbourogh (one of the halves) and Barnsley.
CTFCfan99
duckers wrote: 11 Aug 2022, 15:53 Yes Wade has all the credentials. He's intelligent, speaks really well, captained all the clubs he played for, has strong connections with our two biggest club legends (Cotterill & Duff) and he's played a big part in the success of our past two seasons. Loosing Duff was always going to be a massive challenge for the club. What we don't need is people turning on our new gaffer after one horrendous performance by our reserves when our best players were not on the pitch (Cailub Taylor, Taylor Perry, Liam Sercombe, Dan Nlundulu, Alfie May). It's clear that we lack strength in depth compared with other sides but that's obvoius with our budget. I'm certainly not panicing or going to post a load of doom and gloom online like a load of others have done since Tuesday as the signs of the post Duff era were encouraging against Peterbourogh (one of the halves) and Barnsley.
Well summed up.

In my view, you can say what you like about the squad this season compared to last, but the biggest difference is we don't have Duff.

We finished comfortably mid table with the 2nd smallest budget in the league, it takes a really really good manager to be able to do that. Wade might turn out to be a really good manager himself, but we can't expect him to already be Duff 2.0 after only 3 games.
Sprout Picker
CTFCfan99 wrote: 11 Aug 2022, 19:42
duckers wrote: 11 Aug 2022, 15:53 Yes Wade has all the credentials. He's intelligent, speaks really well, captained all the clubs he played for, has strong connections with our two biggest club legends (Cotterill & Duff) and he's played a big part in the success of our past two seasons. Loosing Duff was always going to be a massive challenge for the club. What we don't need is people turning on our new gaffer after one horrendous performance by our reserves when our best players were not on the pitch (Cailub Taylor, Taylor Perry, Liam Sercombe, Dan Nlundulu, Alfie May). It's clear that we lack strength in depth compared with other sides but that's obvoius with our budget. I'm certainly not panicing or going to post a load of doom and gloom online like a load of others have done since Tuesday as the signs of the post Duff era were encouraging against Peterbourogh (one of the halves) and Barnsley.
Well summed up.

In my view, you can say what you like about the squad this season compared to last, but the biggest difference is we don't have Duff.

We finished comfortably mid table with the 2nd smallest budget in the league, it takes a really really good manager to be able to do that. Wade might turn out to be a really good manager himself, but we can't expect him to already be Duff 2.0 after only 3 games.
Agree. We’ve had big changes to our coaching staff and defence including missing both our first-choice wingbacks. Obviously Exeter was a disaster but I thought we performed pretty well in the first two league games given the standard of the opposition.

A result vs Pompey would be a big confidence boost and help settle things down, the last thing we need is panic. Remember Duffy didn’t win for his first few games in League 2 and yet we had complete faith in him last season even during a couple of sticky runs as he’d earned our trust. We need to back WE to do the same.