World Cup 2022

Talk about other football teams at all levels. AND ANY Glos City related threads, even if talking about the groundsharing.

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

asl
Shade wrote:I despise football.

Refs are always s#!t. Cheltenham and England.

I despise football.
Same time next week, Shade...?

Sent from my SM-G9860 using Tapatalk

Shade
asl wrote: 10 Dec 2022, 21:58
Shade wrote:I despise football.

Refs are always s#!t. Cheltenham and England.

I despise football.
Same time next week, Shade...?

Go on, then.
CTFCfan99
Don't think I've ever experienced a worse footballing day tbh
Nesty
As soon as we were award the 2nd penalty I thought that someone other than Kane should take it
longmover
Kane had a shocker of a tournament tbf, when he wasn't in the goals in the game against Iran the writing was on the wall for him.
Shade
Nesty wrote: 11 Dec 2022, 13:16 As soon as we were award the 2nd penalty I thought that someone other than Kane should take it
Same. I actually foresaw him putting the ball over the bar. Just the way England football works. We can't have nice things.
Shade
longmover wrote: 12 Dec 2022, 10:32 Kane had a shocker of a tournament tbf, when he wasn't in the goals in the game against Iran the writing was on the wall for him.
He was top assister and key to us being top scorers in the competition up to this stage.
asl
I don't know how anyone can say *any* of the England players had a poor tournament, tbh... The aberration against the USA aside (when Maguire still had a good game), I thought we were excellent. Against France, I worried for Walker - but he did well to keep Mbappe quiet, despite not being at his best against Senegal. Maguire looked a new man (I'd never have taken him) and Stones and Shaw did ok alongside him. Pickford was well protected but still did his job on the few occasions he had to. The midfield was frankly superb and Henderson held the hands of the youngsters who will be England's best for years to come. Kane did what he's best at and, while not scoring as many as everyone hoped, did provide plenty of assists.

Suspect all the racist bigots were very confused about what to do after that penalty was missed...can you imagine the abuse if Saka had done that?

Ihearye
asl wrote: 12 Dec 2022, 11:43 I don't know how anyone can say *any* of the England players had a poor tournament, tbh... The aberration against the USA aside (when Maguire still had a good game), I thought we were excellent. Against France, I worried for Walker - but he did well to keep Mbappe quiet, despite not being at his best against Senegal. Maguire looked a new man (I'd never have taken him) and Stones and Shaw did ok alongside him. Pickford was well protected but still did his job on the few occasions he had to. The midfield was frankly superb and Henderson held the hands of the youngsters who will be England's best for years to come. Kane did what he's best at and, while not scoring as many as everyone hoped, did provide plenty of assists.

Suspect all the racist bigots were very confused about what to do after that penalty was missed...can you imagine the abuse if Saka had done that?

Beat Iran and Wales , surely not a great measure of poor or excellent?
Shade
Ihearye wrote: 12 Dec 2022, 14:14
asl wrote: 12 Dec 2022, 11:43 I don't know how anyone can say *any* of the England players had a poor tournament, tbh... The aberration against the USA aside (when Maguire still had a good game), I thought we were excellent. Against France, I worried for Walker - but he did well to keep Mbappe quiet, despite not being at his best against Senegal. Maguire looked a new man (I'd never have taken him) and Stones and Shaw did ok alongside him. Pickford was well protected but still did his job on the few occasions he had to. The midfield was frankly superb and Henderson held the hands of the youngsters who will be England's best for years to come. Kane did what he's best at and, while not scoring as many as everyone hoped, did provide plenty of assists.

2014, drew with Costa Rica, lost to Uruguay and Italy.
2010, drew with USA and Algeria, beat Slovenia by 1 goal, stuffed by Germany
2006, beat Paraguay by 1 goal, beat Trinidad and Tobago by 2 goals, drew with Sweden, lost to Portugal.

Yeah, by comparison, winning 6-2 against Iran, 3-0 against Wales, and 3-0 against Senegal, and coming so close to at least taking the reigning champions and favourites to extra time in a World Cup QF is a measure of poor or excellent.
asl
I don't claim to remember all of those matches, but I do remember several of them and we were pish. One exception would be the Portugal game when Cashley Cole had the game of his life, had prime Ronaldo in his pocket and no way deserved to be on the losing side. Apart from the USA game, how many of our performances this time were as poor as most of those?

Ihearye
Shade wrote: 12 Dec 2022, 16:35
Ihearye wrote: 12 Dec 2022, 14:14

2014, drew with Costa Rica, lost to Uruguay and Italy.
2010, drew with USA and Algeria, beat Slovenia by 1 goal, stuffed by Germany
2006, beat Paraguay by 1 goal, beat Trinidad and Tobago by 2 goals, drew with Sweden, lost to Portugal.

Yeah, by comparison, winning 6-2 against Iran, 3-0 against Wales, and 3-0 against Senegal, and coming so close to at least taking the reigning champions and favourites to extra time in a World Cup QF is a measure of poor or excellent.
Always wonder be it rugby or football, the weight that can be given to reigning champions after 4 years have elapsed. I believe only 2 or 3 teams have ever won consecutive world cups. Which would seem to point to the form of 4 years ago not actually meaning too much
Shade
That is true, but they are now favourites for this world cup and I believed that whoever won between England and France would go on to win the whole damned thing. We could still be on for a repeat of the 2018 final, which would be something. Boring, but something.
Shade
asl wrote: 12 Dec 2022, 16:56 I don't claim to remember all of those matches, but I do remember several of them and we were pish. One exception would be the Portugal game when Cashley Cole had the game of his life, had prime Ronaldo in his pocket and no way deserved to be on the losing side. Apart from the USA game, how many of our performances this time were as poor as most of those?

Totally agree with the Portugal game. Portugal beat us on pens after the winker got Rooney sent off. Just another example of England stepping up in a big game and playing well, but then losing on penalties after an injustice.

I remember all of the other games. The Sweden draw included Joe Cole's speculative volley from 40 yards. I remember shouting at the TV "don't shoot from there you fec...GET THE F IN!".

Costa Rica, Uruguay and Italy were awful games at Brazil 2014 when we went out in the group.
The USA, Algeria and Slovenia games at 2010 were all dull as ditch water, before the injustice of Lampard's miles over the line goal being ruled out which would have made it 2-2, before we went on to lose 4-1 with players still shaking their heads in disbelief as the 3rd and 4th goals went in.
2006, beating Paraguay by 1 and T&T by 2 tells you all you need to know. This current team would have put 5's and 6's past them, as we have Panama and Iran at the last two world cups. The Paraguay game, if I remember correctly, was probably the last time the 6 second rule was actually used. Paraguay's keeper had a free kick given against him for it and Beckham scored from it. That was the highlight of the game. The mighty T&T, I'm pretty sure it took until over 80 painful minutes for us to score and then we had to rely on Crouch being a foot taller to head in the opener. Dreadful times. The last two world cups have restored my faith somewhat. And the euros. Because let's not forget how utterly pathetic we have been in the euros between 1996 and 2021.

All in all, since the semis of Italia 90 (as I was curious to see just how c!#p we have done overall):
92 group (bottom)
94 didn't qualify (couldn't beat San Marino by enough goals)
96 SF (Germany on pens)
98 2R (Argentina on pens)
00 group (3rd in group, above Germany, though!)
02 QF (Ronaldinho's lucky free kick for Brazil)
04 QF (beaten by France in the group, 2 Zidane 90+ goals, Portugal beat us on pens)
06 QF (Portugal on pens)
08 didn't qualify (wally with the brolly)
10 2R (Germany, 4-1)
12 QF (Italy on pens)
14 group (bottom)
16 2R (Iceland...)
18 SF (Croatia on pens)
20 F (Italy on pens)
22 QF (France, not on pens, thankfully)

Knocked out of 8 tournaments on penalties, including 1990...I think I'm glad Kane missed in normal time to save us going through that again. Twice we haven't qualified, three times out in the group stage, 3 second rounds, 5 quarters, 2 semis and a final.
Red Duke
Shade wrote: 13 Dec 2022, 16:16
All in all, since the semis of Italia 90 (as I was curious to see just how c!#p we have done overall):
92 group (bottom)
94 didn't qualify (couldn't beat San Marino by enough goals)
96 SF (Germany on pens)
98 2R (Argentina on pens)
00 group (3rd in group, above Germany, though!)
02 QF (Ronaldinho's lucky free kick for Brazil)
04 QF (beaten by France in the group, 2 Zidane 90+ goals, Portugal beat us on pens)
06 QF (Portugal on pens)
08 didn't qualify (wally with the brolly)
10 2R (Germany, 4-1)
12 QF (Italy on pens)
14 group (bottom)
16 2R (Iceland...)
18 SF (Croatia on pens)
20 F (Italy on pens)
22 QF (France, not on pens, thankfully)

Knocked out of 8 tournaments on penalties, including 1990...I think I'm glad Kane missed in normal time to save us going through that again. Twice we haven't qualified, three times out in the group stage, 3 second rounds, 5 quarters, 2 semis and a final.
People talk about the curse of ITV. How many of those above were shown on ITV?
Shade
My brother has been on about the ITV curse for about 10 years. Yet to be proved much wrong.
Tournament knockout games we lost on ITV, from memory;
96, 98, 04, 06, 12, 18, "20" (21, but was also on BBC) and 22. So that would be 8/11 knockout games, leaving 02, 10 and 16 on BBC.
I could be wrong on a couple, and a couple of others might have been on ITV as well, but I think that's mostly right.

However, we haven't beaten a "big" in-form nation on either channel, really. ITV just keep getting the big matches, and we lose them.
Red Duke
Shade wrote: 14 Dec 2022, 20:46 My brother has been on about the ITV curse for about 10 years. Yet to be proved much wrong.
96, 98, 04, 06, 12, 18, "20" (21, but was also on BBC) and 22. So that would be 8/11 knockout games, leaving 02, 10 and 16 on BBC.
I could be wrong on a couple, and a couple of others might have been on ITV as well, but I think that's mostly right.

However, we haven't beaten a "big" in-form nation on either channel, really. ITV just keep getting the big matches, and we lose them.
In 2014, the loss to Uruguay in the group stages was really equivalent to be knocked out in the later stages. Do you know if that was on ITV?
asl
Seen many a final that's as dull as dishwater.

This one, however...........

paperboy
...so if Martinez yellow card during pen shoot out had been his second an outfield player would have had to don the gloves I assume.

Great listening to clip of Argentinan commentator doing a South American version of Bob Hunt.😀
Shade
Red Duke wrote: 15 Dec 2022, 18:18
Shade wrote: 14 Dec 2022, 20:46 My brother has been on about the ITV curse for about 10 years. Yet to be proved much wrong.

In 2014, the loss to Uruguay in the group stages was really equivalent to be knocked out in the later stages. Do you know if that was on ITV?
I want to say it was, but it's just a feeling.

Edit: a quick google search shows it was advertised as being on ITV, and that ITV had first pick and chose to show that match over the opening game v Italy.
Shade
paperboy wrote: 18 Dec 2022, 18:09 ...so if Martinez yellow card during pen shoot out had been his second an outfield player would have had to don the gloves I assume.

Great listening to clip of Argentinan commentator doing a South American version of Bob Hunt.😀
He should have had a yellow for throwing the ball away, in my opinion. I saw a tweet yesterday about choosing who you want to win between France and Argentina is like choosing between a certain type of people that nobody likes, but I was all for France (despite Mbappe's behaviour against England). Can't stand the unsportsmanlike Argies and Martinez just showed everything that there is to dislike about them in the shoot-out and award ceremonies. Plus we have been at war with Argentina a lot more recently than France...and all the fangirling over Messi makes me sick.

Christ, I'm so bitter...
asl
Argie subs kicking the ball into the stands when they led 3-2 in ET got my goat. Mbappe barely touched the ball in the first 60 mins yet finished with a hat-trick. MacAllister, that most South American of players, was fantastic throughout and Messi did his normal 'walking around not looking interested' trick that has served him so well.

I also wanted both teams to lose - but, in all fairness, that was a cracking bit of entertainment on a Sunday evening.