Interest in bonds

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

CS85
Jon palmer has just tweeted that several clubs are interested in Elliott bonds.
Could be a busy summer :shock:
longmover
Ever since Rea showed up he has been a different player.
tunnelvision
I didn't think it'd be long before someone was interested in him, given his current form. Still, we've a ready made replacement in Dylan Barkers, so wouldn't affect us much if he went. ;-)
Fuller
Presumably Hull City would take a cut of any transfer fee?
Just when you think we might be starting to build a team to compete at League One level it might start to get ripped up.
I mentioned the other day on here that I heard another of our players may be subject to a bid this summer and it isn’t May or Bonds. So that could be three first choice players gone.
Warwickshire Robin
I guess this is the beginning of the next stage of our working model where the young promising lads we pick up cheap are coached up and sold on for a (hopefully) big profit to fund the next stage of the clubs development. If it is working properly then we will have to get used to it!
asl
Fact of life for us, I'm afraid... Buy cheap, renovate, improve, sell on.

Sent from my SM-G9860 using Tapatalk

RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Fuller wrote: 24 Mar 2023, 12:01 Presumably Hull City would take a cut of any transfer fee?
Just when you think we might be starting to build a team to compete at League One level it might start to get ripped up.
I mentioned the other day on here that I heard another of our players may be subject to a bid this summer and it isn’t May or Bonds. So that could be three first choice players gone.
That’s the main challenge for us at this level. As soon as we have a season with players impressing at this level they get snapped up.
HamTown
Fuller wrote: 24 Mar 2023, 12:01 Presumably Hull City would take a cut of any transfer fee?
When I saw you post that I thought well obviously that's Bonds based on contract and appearances...can only really be Freestone or Long left, either would both be a surprise
Robin
tunnelvision wrote: 24 Mar 2023, 11:53 I didn't think it'd be long before someone was interested in him, given his current form. Still, we've a ready made replacement in Dylan Barkers, so wouldn't affect us much if he went. ;-)
Would like to think that Rea is the replacement. Going to be a bigger miss than many realise if Bonds leaves.
Robin
Bonds was released by Hull I think so probably no sell on fee.

As for another player possibly leaving it's all well and good having money in the bank for transfers but we've got to get them here and within our wage structure.
Robin
HamTown wrote: 24 Mar 2023, 13:15
When I saw you post that I thought well obviously that's Bonds based on contract and appearances...can only really be Freestone or Long left, either would both be a surprise
No chance it's Long, it wil be either Ferry or Freestone you'd think. But if the club have a fire sale we can kiss good bye to league one status next season.
HamTown
Robin wrote: 24 Mar 2023, 14:37
HamTown wrote: 24 Mar 2023, 13:15
No chance it's Long, it wil be either Ferry or Freestone you'd think. But if the club have a fire sale we can kiss good bye to league one status next season.
Perhaps one of the teams Ferry has put a performance against but strikes me as a little odd based on how much of the season both Ferry and Freestone have been out for that they'd attract any bids
Benhall-Robin
Big, strong and athletic with age on his side, it is an inevitability. It would be a shame to lose him this summer, he still lacks that consistency and I feel another season with us would help his development and obviously our cause too.

It could be a very big transition this summer, which is always a gamble. I hope enough of any sale value goes directly back into the playing budget to help us improve.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Players are contracted and we don’t need to sell,
so doubt there will be a ‘fire sale’.

The strategy has to be only sell those we can replace more easily, or sell one or two to fund replacements for those who leave summer 2024 when out of contract.

Keena is May’s replacement, so selling May for example could help replace whoever of Bonds, Ferry and Freestone is snapped up this summer. Then the money from whichever one is sold can help towards next season’s pot. As long as we stay one sale ahead of what we need to buy then that’s ok financially.

I said on a match thread recently that Ferry would be snapped up in January or next summer as he is clearly one of the best in L1, so be a shame if we lose him in the close.
Robin
If Keena is Alfie's replacement then who is Keena's replacement? We have 2-3 strikers worthy of a place in the starting eleven right now.
shevates
Robin wrote: 26 Mar 2023, 09:52 If Keena is Alfie's replacement then who is Keena's replacement? We have 2-3 strikers worthy of a place in the starting eleven right now.
The money if Alfie is sold I hope is spent on his replacement and Keena is still our automatic number two.
bigdavejambo
im amazed there is no pun about the club 'cashing in their Bonds'
horlickfanclub
My guess is that Charlie Brown was signed with Alfie leaving in mind last year. Alfie did not go leaving is with Big Dan and Charlie,Alfie and George LLoyd as smaller options. If Alfie goes either Charlie steps up to play with Aidan and/or we sign two big men.

i would look at Max Mata from Sligo.
Robin
I'm not convinced both Charlie and George will be here next season even if Alfie is sold. Neither have done enough to suggest they can be a regular starter for us.
duckers
Goodwin and Keena to form a partnership next season
Jerry St Clair
Slow handclap for the guy behind me in the CF who never fails to shout "Get. Him. Off" at Bonds' first misplaced pass.
Robin
duckers wrote: 28 Mar 2023, 00:56 Goodwin and Keena to form a partnership next season
Not sure Goodwin is ready to be starting for us regularly just yet, he seems more a slow burn develop over time signing.
Shade
Robin wrote: 28 Mar 2023, 10:29
duckers wrote: 28 Mar 2023, 00:56 Goodwin and Keena to form a partnership next season
Not sure Goodwin is ready to be starting for us regularly just yet, he seems more a slow burn develop over time signing.
The summer and a League pre-season may boost him to the next level. But obviously we need someone else in anyway as well if Alfie does go. Unless Brown and Lloyd stay and suddenly look like they'll be seriously challenging for places on merit (not that I'm totally convinced Brown wouldn't if he was given a run of games).
Ihearye
horlickfanclub wrote: 27 Mar 2023, 16:55 My guess is that Charlie Brown was signed with Alfie leaving in mind last year. Alfie did not go leaving is with Big Dan and Charlie,Alfie and George LLoyd as smaller options. If Alfie goes either Charlie steps up to play with Aidan and/or we sign two big men.

i would look at Max Mata from Sligo.
That would explain why Brown gets so ltyle game time, are we keeping him below the radar for a year 😂
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Robin wrote: 28 Mar 2023, 10:29
Assume that’s why Duckers said ‘next season’ not ‘now’.