Cheltenham Youth Players

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

1985CTFC
With most issues with regard to football and CTFC, money seems to feature prominently.
We have been talking about financing a new stand. Obviously one way is to sell a player for big money. Not just 1 obviously but almost like a production line. Exeter city seem to have the knack of getting their younger players into the first team squad and playing them and being spotted by the big teams. Talking about Ollie Watkins, Ethan Ampadu and recently Josh Keys. Etc
Ollie and Ethan to an extent have earnt EX city large amounts of money.
We haven't really done that. Will Armitage was nicked from us before really playing first team football. We get a token amount and possibly add ons etc etc. So until he makes the grade and gets sold for millions we don't really benefit by much as far as I can see. Happy to be proved wrong.
I know the lad probably wanted to go to a prem/chap club, but would he had progressed more being here at CTFC and we are getting the benefit. I know he was very young but Exeter seem to get these lads in the shop window and if regularly playing LG1 will go for a lot more.
Am I naïve in thinking we can hang on to these lads until they shine in LG1 and then cash in possibly big time.
The lads below have all played with the first team squad this preseason.
Cameron Walters. Brandon Ligget, Adulai Sambu, Freddie Willcox, Ibby Olateju
All played well. Cameron looks a talent. Olateju looks lightning quick. Others all have qualities.
Say for instance 2 scenarios . I'll pick Olateju as he is a striker and they seem to generate more money. He plays in the junior football and does really well and gets spotted. Big team come in for him and we get say 100k plus add on etc etc. Then is never seen again like many who leave our sort of club. If he does well and makes a championship or prem squad we will only get the sell on if it happens.
But if he stays and does well in 1st team here at CTFC we get that benefit and I reckon that if at 20 and knocks in 15 -20 goals we are likely to be asking for a lot more money then Alfies30yr old fee.
I know a lot of ifs and buts.
So what I'm asking should we do things differently to try and earn that big money.

Over to you all to have your say........