Where would you rather be?

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

RegencyCheltenhamSpa
I’m with Wade. I’m here for the L1 ride. Seems not all fans have the stomach for it.

"We could, and this is not being disrespectful, sit in League Two, bob along and be all right, or we can play Bolton Wanderers and Reading and accept we might be on the end of a day like today, which isn't a nice feeling but I think we know where we'd rather be."

Quite from JP on Twitter. I assume full interview will come in due course.
Malabus
Bullshit.
Shade
According to some on Facebook and twitter, that's Wade "throwing the towel in".

Roll on September, is all I can say.
Malabus
Conceding to Reading already, when we play them on Tuesday. I am totally gobsmacked.
Si Robin
How is what he's said there, in any way, conceding to Reading?

And I realise who I'm responding to, but still.
Jerry St Clair
100% agree Si. And some people are disingenuously mis-interpreting his comment about the Reading game.
Red Duke
It is all very well but after 2 seasons in L1 you expect you be able to be competitive as we know the standard required.

I was at Shrewsbury last week and we weren't. Listening to the game today, we definitely weren't. I can see after 5 league games having nul point and nul goals. It is probably the most important transfer window we have ever had. I just hope that RM is up to the job.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Red Duke wrote: 12 Aug 2023, 19:05 It is all very well but after 2 seasons in L1 you expect you be able to be competitive as we know the standard required.

I was at Shrewsbury last week and we weren't. Listening to the game today, we definitely weren't. I can see after 5 league games having nul point and nul goals. It is probably the most important transfer window we have ever had. I just hope that RM is up to the job.
It’s also logical we will get less competitive each year. Our best players will always get snapped up and we cannot afford ready made replacements - so we are always relying on finding a cheap player no one else wants and hoping they become good enough. There will be a season where we end up with one too many duds and go down. Just hope the season we get lucky with better than expected signings comes before the duds season!
Nesty
Red Duke wrote: 12 Aug 2023, 19:05 It is all very well but after 2 seasons in L1 you expect you be able to be competitive as we know the standard required.

100% agree -
Jerry St Clair
But our budget position hasn’t changed in two years. In fact, it’s got worse. We have a lower budget than most of L2 let alone L1.

Every single season in L1 is going to be a battle against the odds. Unless we magic up another 5000 fans or an income stream.
1985CTFC
Jerry St Clair wrote: 13 Aug 2023, 10:08
But our budget position hasn’t changed in two years. In fact, it’s got worse. We have a lower budget than most of L2 let alone L1.

Every single season in L1 is going to be a battle against the odds. Unless we magic up another 5000 fans or an income stream.
Budget is a bit of a red herring. Try telling Luton that last year!
It is an easy excuse to use at the moment. Not saying loads of money doesn't help, but a good group of committed players and clever management can get a team to exceed expectations in our case mid table. We have performed well these last 4 to 5 years no reason we can't do it this year.
As MD used to say..regroup and go again. We know the players are good characters and that hopefully will get us going again soon. Just need a spark from somewhere.
1985CTFC
1985CTFC wrote: 13 Aug 2023, 11:18

It is an easy excuse to use at the moment. Not saying loads of money doesn't help, but a good group of committed players and clever management can get a team to exceed expectations in our case mid table. We have performed well these last 4 to 5 years no reason we can't do it this year.
As MD used to say..regroup and go again. We know the players are good characters and that hopefully will get us going again soon. Just need a spark from somewhere.
Trying to be optimistic
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
1985CTFC wrote: 13 Aug 2023, 11:19

Trying to be optimistic
Yes, all we can do is keep the team spirit from year to year. Sometimes our loans and punts will turn into gems and we will challenge. Other years they will be duds and we will struggle. When getting loans, young players, and crocked old players it is always a little bit of luck as to how it pans out. But however it pans out, we will always have the spirit, togetherness and effort.
Shade

Budget is a bit of a red herring, look what Cheltenham have done in the last 3/4 seasons, you mean? Why bring Luton into it when we are, as you go on to basically admit, our own best example? Constantly performing well above our budget. It doesn't mean we always can, though. But the lads will try.

All this reaction to a poor performance against a top of the division side after 2 League games (the other an uninspiring but hard fought 1-0 away defeat) is all a bit OTT.
1985CTFC
Shade wrote: 13 Aug 2023, 15:21

Budget is a bit of a red herring, look what Cheltenham have done in the last 3/4 seasons, you mean? Why bring Luton into it when we are, as you go on to basically admit, our own best example? Constantly performing well above our budget. It doesn't mean we always can, though. But the lads will try.

All this reaction to a poor performance against a top of the division side after 2 League games (the other an uninspiring but hard fought 1-0 away defeat) is all a bit OTT.
Basically using Luton as an example of a number of teams as well as ourselves (which you are correct in saying) punch above their weight. It might fail at some time as you say. Don't think my comments were an over reaction to last 3 performances.
As I have mentioned I am optimistic Wade and team will improve our situation.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
1985CTFC wrote: 13 Aug 2023, 16:12
Shade wrote: 13 Aug 2023, 15:21

Basically using Luton as an example of a number of teams as well as ourselves (which you are correct in saying) punch above their weight. It might fail at some time as you say. Don't think my comments were an over reaction to last 3 performances.
As I have mentioned I am optimistic Wade and team will improve our situation.
The reason seasons like Luton last year are so remarkable is because they are exceptions.

Yes, if we happen to get a group who gel perfectly we could do a Burton on Yeovil (or not Yeovil :lol: ). Of course, some will also say that winning L2 and staying up in L1 was a remarkable punch above our weight. I don’t necessarily agree, but it will be an exceptional event for us to challenge at this level.