2 Days to Go. What do we need up front

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

1985CTFC
What does everyone think is the type of player we need up front. Small nippy Alfie type? 6ft 4" target man? Experienced old pro at the end of career? A winger come striker?
Is it a goal scorer we need or someone to help the strikers we have.
Trouble is if we bring one in and play 2 up front who misses out when all are fit. Or just leave it to the survival of the fittest...ie who is performing best as a pair.
andgarod
firstly a miracle
secondly loads of cash
and yes to all your suggestions
we have 4 strikers when Lllody is fit - not including King
We need at least 2assuming one is injured or suspended or not performing
Target man who can win things are worry a defence
but we will go with what we have
1985CTFC
Personally I would like to find an experienced pro who accepts he won't play all the time. But can bring his experience to play on the pitch when he comes on and in training. Even if we get someone until the New Year to help out would be ok. Short term splash a bit of cash until next transfer window to get someone in.
Where we find an experienced striker God knows. Another young loanee striker......ummm we have 4 or 5 young strikers already.
If FGR can get Troy Deeney surely we can entice someone with at least 3 months footy with cash incentive. If we go down we lose cash next year. Important we stay up this year for next years cash increase. False economy not to spend some money now. We are not that poor are we. 400k profit the other year wasn't it.
As an example so don't laugh.... someone who hasn't a club eg Andros Townsend ( doesn't have to be him just an example) experienced , maybe looking to get in to coaching like Troy D, help us for at least 3 months and give him an attractive package. Maybe a specific sponsor or such like to help the finance.
Maybe I am living in cloud cuckoo land to see a name here at Whaddon.
Still we all remember Andy Gray turned up...that's what we need to give us a boost.
You watch we'll beat Barnsley 3-1 and all will be forgotten. All our woes will be behind us. We live hope.

Lets be avin ya....comments
asl
1985CTFC wrote: 30 Aug 2023, 13:16 Still we all remember Andy Gray turned up...
Did he, though? He was before my time but I've only ever heard disparaging comments about his (brief) spell with us.

But you're right: I wouldn't have said no to Troy Deeney.
longmover
No way we have the money to get a TD type here, can't imagine what he's on down there.
Shade
If anyone thinks we'll be getting anyone but a young loan striker from a PL or Champ club...have you not been supporting CTFC very long?
Ihearye
asl wrote: 30 Aug 2023, 13:20
Did he, though? He was before my time but I've only ever heard disparaging comments about his (brief) spell with us.

Was trying to count how many times Andy's performances had me sitting on the edge of my seat in the main stand....... lost count after none
Ihearye
Shade wrote: 30 Aug 2023, 13:56 If anyone thinks we'll be getting anyone but a young loan striker from a PL or Champ club...have you not been supporting CTFC very long?
Strange how we unearth good young defenders for loans, but forwards ??????? Only one or two I remember falling in to that bracket
Shade
Ihearye wrote: 30 Aug 2023, 13:58
Shade wrote: 30 Aug 2023, 13:56 If anyone thinks we'll be getting anyone but a young loan striker from a PL or Champ club...have you not been supporting CTFC very long?
Strange how we unearth good young defenders for loans, but forwards ??????? Only one or two I remember falling in to that bracket
Mainly hit and miss, or complete misses. Etete was a hit, didn't score many but certainly helped Alfie get into his groove. Kyle Joseph and Nlundulu had a few brief moments of genuine quality. I know I'm probably forgetting someone decent but can't think of any other striker since Steven Gillespie who came in on loan and wasn't disappointing.
paperboy
Shade wrote: 30 Aug 2023, 14:05
Mainly hit and miss, or complete misses. Etete was a hit, didn't score many but certainly helped Alfie get into his groove. Kyle Joseph and Nlundulu had a few brief moments of genuine quality. I know I'm probably forgetting someone decent but can't think of any other striker since Steven Gillespie who came in on loan and wasn't disappointing.
Well according to JP there's a PL striker coming in this week and assuming it's not Mason Greenwood it'll be a young and promising one as you say.
Let's hope it's not a first loan,but someone who's had previous EFL experience.
Warwickshire Robin
From what I have seen so far I am having grave doubts that Street & Keena can play together in a two so that means play one and find a partner that suits them. Ideally for me that would be a strong target man type to hold it up and bring them into the game but they don't really seem to exist anymore sadly.

But from what JP tweeted or x'd or whatever its called these days, this afternoon, it looks like a loan from the Prem so assuming it will be a youngster then I just hope he is grease lightening and can frighten some defenders with pace so Street & Keena can get some space to work in.
Ihearye
Shade wrote: 30 Aug 2023, 14:05
Agree with that, perhaps being a bit too generous to a couple of them 😉
Shade
I should have said young striker, as I know we had a couple of kinda decent older strikers on loan after Gillespie in Brooker and Burgess. It's about time we bucked that trend and get a young striker who scores a bucket load and goes back to his parent club much improved, leading them to pick whoever we want from their PL2 squad :P
paperboy
Arsenals Nathan Butler-Oyedeji is one name that's been linked with us- amongst a few other L1 clubs.
Mike1953
Agree that Street and Keena do not as yet gel in the same way as May and Keena ( or Jeff Goulding and Wes Thomas). We could be lucky and get in a Reg Varney or a Jamie Cureton. Why not make a late strong bid for Harrogate Town’s Luke Armstrong, a goal scoring CF target man?
Si Robin
We can't get Harrogate Town's Luke Armstrong because we can't afford a fee and doubtful we could afford his wage either.

We've been outbid by League 2 teams for loan players - you're dreaming if you think we're splashing out fees and high wages.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
1985CTFC wrote: 30 Aug 2023, 12:33 What does everyone think is the type of player we need up front. Small nippy Alfie type? 6ft 4" target man? Experienced old pro at the end of career? A winger come striker?
Is it a goal scorer we need or someone to help the strikers we have.
Trouble is if we bring one in and play 2 up front who misses out when all are fit. Or just leave it to the survival of the fittest...ie who is performing best as a pair.
Really we should be looking to use four strikers per game, so that they can play with the required intensity and running without having to worry about saving energy to last the 90 mins. So this means at least two on the bench, maybe three to give different options depending on situation.

We might have a preferred starting pair, but a) different opponents may need different approaches and b) injury/suspension/energy may mean not all are available every match.
Broadway Brian
Pace. We need pace. And footballing intelligence - don’t care what age.

Hopefully, we’re looking at 2 rather than just one.
Ihearye
This is week 3 of a striker coming in ........
Shade
One I've seen us linked with is 18yo Nathan Fraser of Wolves. Irish lad. Apparently he'll be going to us or...Shrewsbury. Just signed a new contract with Wolves and made his first team debut last night, scoring v Blackpool.

Strong and physical centre forward, apparently...
CS85
Imo we need a big unit who can deal with the long balls we will be firing up to our strikers,can win it hold it up and get us up the pitch and hopefully get keena or street firing.
Another small striker chasing long balls is not what I want to see.
Nesty
Broadway Brian wrote: 30 Aug 2023, 15:36 Pace. We need pace. And footballing intelligence - don’t care what age.

Hopefully, we’re looking at 2 rather than just one.
agree
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
1985CTFC wrote: 30 Aug 2023, 13:16 Personally I would like to find an experienced pro who accepts he won't play all the time. But can bring his experience to play on the pitch when he comes on and in training. Even if we get someone until the New Year to help out would be ok. Short term splash a bit of cash until next transfer window to get someone in.
Where we find an experienced striker God knows. Another young loanee striker......ummm we have 4 or 5 young strikers already.
If FGR can get Troy Deeney surely we can entice someone with at least 3 months footy with cash incentive. If we go down we lose cash next year. Important we stay up this year for next years cash increase. False economy not to spend some money now. We are not that poor are we. 400k profit the other year wasn't it.
As an example so don't laugh.... someone who hasn't a club eg Andros Townsend ( doesn't have to be him just an example) experienced , maybe looking to get in to coaching like Troy D, help us for at least 3 months and give him an attractive package. Maybe a specific sponsor or such like to help the finance.
Still we all remember Andy Gray turned up...that's what we need to give us a boost.
You watch we'll beat Barnsley 3-1 and all will be forgotten. All our woes will be behind us. We live hope.

Thing is, splashing cash we don’t have on a gamble to stay up could be catastrophic if we still go down anyway. I don’t think we should be betting the house like that.

Realistically, any reserves we do have need to be kept to help us cope with relegation, should that happen. And that should remain the case every year we are in L1 as relegation will always be a genuine possibility.
PCrobin
Personally I think we’re crying out for a Brooker or Varney type of striker. With a bit of guile and experience. But can’t see it happening sadly! More likely an unknown 18 year old..😔
1985CTFC
Young loanee striker. As someone has mentioned have we ever had a good un. Etete is the only one I can think of. So we will have 5 or 6 young strikers. The only advantage I can see in that is competition for places and burn a pair out in 60 mins and bring 2 on. Failing that we are going 3 up top flat out for 60mins and refresh after. But 5 young strikers don't generally have the nous to cope with these big CB they come across.
Talk of pace, well Street has pace have seen him, he is quick. Usain Bolt is quick as well!!!
A big brute of a lad upfront maybe, but don't think academies breed them anymore.
Small nippy and quick. Will be different to what we have.
But I am guessing many of the top young lads have been taken by now.
But we might just be lucky to get one who has an eye for goal. Not holding my breath on that one.

My pick would be a Steve Brooker/Tony Naylor/ Varney/Cureton type.
But JP says it is a young loanee so lets see how he performs. Just hope the competition for places hots up and sparks some results.
1985CTFC
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote: 30 Aug 2023, 17:32
1985CTFC wrote: 30 Aug 2023, 13:16 Personally I would like to find an experienced pro who accepts he won't play all the time. But can bring his experience to play on the pitch when he comes on and in training. Even if we get someone until the New Year to help out would be ok. Short term splash a bit of cash until next transfer window to get someone in.

Thing is, splashing cash we don’t have on a gamble to stay up could be catastrophic if we still go down anyway. I don’t think we should be betting the house like that.

Realistically, any reserves we do have need to be kept to help us cope with relegation, should that happen. And that should remain the case every year we are in L1 as relegation will always be a genuine possibility.
Who says we don't have any cash. If we get relegated the whole team will be left as a shell. Long and Horton and Lloyd only ones left. We have to stay up or else.
80k for a 3 month contract to tempt a player isn't going to send us in to administration. Perhaps save the cash to January just in case!!!
But as you all say it ain't going to happen.
Regency talking of betting you still confident Keena is going to top the goal scoring charts?
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
1985CTFC wrote: 30 Aug 2023, 18:03
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote: 30 Aug 2023, 17:32

Who says we don't have any cash. If we get relegated the whole team will be left as a shell. Long and Horton and Lloyd only ones left. We have to stay up or else.
80k for a 3 month contract to tempt a player isn't going to send us in to administration. Perhaps save the cash to January just in case!!!
But as you all say it ain't going to happen.
Regency talking of betting you still confident Keena is going to top the goal scoring charts?
I never renege on a bet. Still plenty of time to get scoring.

Re money. We had to borrow money from the Council to pay for the solar panels and could barely afford the required safety/structural upgrades in the main stand. We are doing whatever we can to compete at this level with the smallest budget.

Relegation will be financially damaging enough, without already having debts.
1985CTFC
Wouldn't mind seeing this lad in our shirt. Looks a goal scorer. Plenty to view in the 7min clip
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qrbp0SgiyxU
Charlie McNeill 19yrs, 6ft and played last year on loan at Newport. He is with Man Utd.
Admittedly it says he scored 2 in 20 games for Newport last year.
Clips look good. Maybe an extra year will see an improvement in his goal scoring.
Think at the moment we would take 2 in 20!!!!!
Lord Elpuz
asl wrote: 30 Aug 2023, 13:20

I recall watching Andy Gray playing for Cheltenham around 1989/90. He probably put an extra couple of hundred on the gate, but his legs had gone when he came to Cheltenham and he suffered a number of injury absences. He struggled with the pace of the game even at non-League level and scored just 7 goals.

Another prolific striker that came to us in his late twilight years, around 2003/4, was West Brom favourite, Super Bobby Taylor. An entourage of Baggies fans turned up to cheer him on for his first home game with us, but in truth his legs had gone. However - I always marvelled at the way a high ball played into him always landed at his feet as he had an uncanny ability to get himself between the ball and the defender and his *control was superb. But he only scored 7 goals for Cheltenham.

In my humble view, older strikers looking for a final hoorah, are not really the answer.

*The superb control did let him down when we played Fulham in the FA Cup at QPR’s ground. He shanked a clearance deep in our own half which led to a corner from which Fulham’s Saha scored the winning goal, late on.
1985CTFC
Shade wrote: 30 Aug 2023, 15:46 One I've seen us linked with is 18yo Nathan Fraser of Wolves. Irish lad. Apparently he'll be going to us or...Shrewsbury. Just signed a new contract with Wolves and made his first team debut last night, scoring v Blackpool.

Strong and physical centre forward, apparently...
BBC man of the match last night, was Nathan and he is Irish so will have some mates here.
asl
Bob Taylor won us so many attacking free-kicks by using his [ahem] 'experience'. It didn't take long for the refs to get wise to his game and, from then on, he even managed to get hacked down in the penalty area and the most stonewall of stonewall penalties was waved away. It was fun for a while, I guess...
everyman
We need a centre forward who engages with defenders denying them time to play and making space for Keena and proper midfield to exploit.
Robin
CS85 wrote: 30 Aug 2023, 15:53 Imo we need a big unit who can deal with the long balls we will be firing up to our strikers,can win it hold it up and get us up the pitch and hopefully get keena or street firing.
Another small striker chasing long balls is not what I want to see.
A big physical unit is the primary need given we keep pumping the ball long. They need to make the ball stick and bring one of Keena or Street into play. Someone like Kion Etete would be ideal. We do miss someone who can play off the shoulder with pace though like Alfie did so ideally we get both.
Swiss-Robin
How about Lukaku?

He's available and nobody wants him?

Why don't WE give him a chance?
PCrobin
Swiss-Robin wrote: 31 Aug 2023, 09:51 How about Lukaku?

He's available and nobody wants him?

Why don't WE give him a chance?
Just gone to Roma on loan, sadly. Must have been a close call but Russ obviously couldn't persuade him.. :shock: :lol: