Pre match warm up routine . Grrrrrrrrrr

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

1985CTFC
Generally I arrive at the stadium an hour before the game. Just before the keepers come out to warm up. Little kick about and stretch followed by some soft shot stopping then kicking out to the halfway line and then catching crosses plus a few other bits and bobs. Just what you expect.
The players though as you can image go through a different routine which virtually hasn't changed since Duff took over.
Trot out. Kick a few balls. Do some stretches and short sharp jogs with stretches included. Then a passing routine with the ball whilst in a line. After that the circle where they split up in two and try and keep ball while passing to a team mate. Finally the bit that really gets me is the shooting practice.
Russ used to take it and distribute the ball usually to their favoured foot to hit at the no 2 keeper. After that Russ would flip the ball up and they then have to volley it. So over the years I have seen loads of warm up shooting practice. Right in front of me. And I watch intently. Have to say it is not very good.
Over the bar, at the keeper, scuffed wide, smashed wide all from about 15 to 20 yards.
It varies from game to game, Some times Sercs looks brilliant at times, generally he seems one of the best at shooting. But soon as the game starts it gets blasted over the bar. Same for all of them. Originally it was just the strikers then they added mid field and noticed wing backs were added Saturday.
My point is ...does it make any difference doing this routine. Is it just that we have always done it. Don't tell me it makes them sharper for the game to come. Seen a player do some brilliant shooting ( not often mind) and then 20 mins later in the game he fluffs it. And of course visa versa. c!#p in practice then brilliant shot in the game. Not often though.
The defenders do a heading routine as well. You would think if they can't head a ball now they never will. But the defenders is a different view.
It is the shooting practice that gets me.

Was slightly different Saturday. Kevin Russell took it and got the strikers, Mids and wing backs practicing shooting left foot and right foot. It was over the other side this week ( maybe because they thought I was watching) but it didn't look to impressive considering they are shooting from 15 top 20 yards and later in the routine they moved further out maybe 25 to 30 yds.
Does it make a blind bit of difference what they do in shooting practice with regard to chances that happen in the following game.
My view is it doesn't. Understand you need warm up and stretches and to some extent passing routines although that sometimes seems futile once the game start. But shooting practice. Might as well do some ball juggling or yoga on the pitch for all the good it does.
I know it isn't easy to score unless it is a tap in, but surely we should be able to hit a ball crisply between the goal posts more often than not. We don't do that in warm up shooting.
Don't think I am qualified other that been watching footy along time and sitting and watching warm ups for years. So I will not offer a view as to what should or should not change.
But it is a bugbear of mine doing the same thing over and over again without getting better. (madness isn't it expecting things to improve)
Sorry for the long post. How to improve our shooting? You tell me.
Would we be upper mid table if Dion Charles played for us? Is it we have players that can't strike a ball cleanly and on target and under pressure? Can we improve drastically and how ?
Red Duke
I remember the good old days when there was very little or no warms-up before a game!
Ihearye
I recommend you do what I do, turn up as the teams are walking out
Swiss-Robin
How to improve the shooting?
Easy!
Remember playing in the park as a kid on a stonking hot day and somebody boots the ball miles, meaning that some pour soul then has to trudge, sweating buckets, in the heat to get it back?
Apply same rule to matches. When a player shoots wide (or even over the stand roof), make THEM then go and get it back. A bit like the 'Roadrunner' Pete Greenwood (R.I.P.) used to have to do.
That should sort it.
Last edited by Swiss-Robin on 04 Sep 2023, 18:23, edited 2 times in total.
Ihearye
Swiss-Robin wrote: 04 Sep 2023, 18:11 How to improve the shooting?
Easy!
Remember playing in the park as a kid on a stonking hot day and somebody boots the ball miles, meaning that some pour soul then has to trudge, sweating buckets, in the heat to get it back?
Apply same rule to matches. When a player shoots wide (or even over the stand roof), make THEM then go and get it back. A bit like the 'Roadrunner' (R.I.P.) used to have to do.
That should sort it.
Don't think he ever lost a ball
1985CTFC
Ihearye wrote: 04 Sep 2023, 17:52 I recommend you do what I do, turn up as the teams are walking out
Ah but you miss all the excitement. The crisp passing and the ball hitting the back of the net sometimes in shooting practice.
1985CTFC
Swiss-Robin wrote: 04 Sep 2023, 18:11 How to improve the shooting?
Easy!
Apply same rule to matches. When a player shoots wide (or even over the stand roof), make THEM then go and get it back. A bit like the 'Roadrunner' (R.I.P.) used to have to do.
That should sort it.
Actually I did have a similar thought with regard to a forfeit. Every shot not scored in the warmup they pay £1 in to a fund, where at the end of the season the £26 000 goes to a local charity !
Failing that they poorest performer has to wear a t shirt at training for the week with the words SHOULD HAVE GONE TO SPECSAVERS on.
andgarod
I would be worried if they scored every warm up shot because they will not when the real game starts
Oh just a minute
The real reason we have not scored is that no one has a goal celebration or if they did they have forgotten how to do
I had the text loaded in my phone to text
FFS we have just gone and scored but the phone ran out of charge
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
1985CTFC wrote: 04 Sep 2023, 18:17
Ihearye wrote: 04 Sep 2023, 17:52 I recommend you do what I do, turn up as the teams are walking out
Ah but you miss all the excitement. The crisp passing and the ball hitting the back of the net sometimes in shooting practice.
I assumed the shooting practice was Just to warm the legs up for a proper swing and whack; getting the feel of boot on ball and the conditions.

Same as, say, tennis players. They need to get the heart rate up and muscles stretched before playing, but they don’t need to hit the ball to do that and they aren’t going to improve their strokes knocking up with a few forehands. That’s also just to get the feel of racquet on ball and the conditions.
1985CTFC
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote: 04 Sep 2023, 19:55
I assumed the shooting practice was Just to warm the legs up for a proper swing and whack; getting the feel of boot on ball and the conditions.

Same as, say, tennis players. They need to get the heart rate up and muscles stretched before playing, but they don’t need to hit the ball to do that and they aren’t going to improve their strokes knocking up with a few forehands. That’s also just to get the feel of racquet on ball and the conditions.
They are already warmed up by them. A proper swing and a whack wide or over or at the keeper for what benefit, So that they can do it in the game? It seems to make no difference.
Probably get more benefit if the strikers got in a huddle instead and psyched/meditated/visualised themself for 5 mins smashing that ball in to the back of the net. Could be no worse than smacking the ball all over the shop.
By the way players I am not being to critical, but concentrate on hitting that ball sweetly in the games please and in practice if you continue to do it in pre match. It annoys me you can't hit the net more often !!!!
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
1985CTFC wrote: 04 Sep 2023, 20:22

They are already warmed up by them. A proper swing and a whack wide or over or at the keeper for what benefit, So that they can do it in the game? It seems to make no difference.
Probably get more benefit if the strikers got in a huddle instead and psyched/meditated/visualised themself for 5 mins smashing that ball in to the back of the net. Could be no worse than smacking the ball all over the shop.
By the way players I am not being to critical, but concentrate on hitting that ball sweetly in the games please and in practice if you continue to do it in pre match. It annoys me you can't hit the net more often !!!!
Swing and whack to get the feeling of ball on boot. The running and passing warms up the muscles and heart, but they don’t provide the opportunity to put the foot through it. If they just want to feel ball on boot they probably aren’t even fussed about hitting the target.

I play in a racquet sport league (not tennis) and always like to finish the warm up with a couple of good whacks and thumps to get that feeling - not bothered where the shot actually goes.

You would be better off going to the training ground and watching the actual shooting training and coaching to see players actually trying to practice and improve their shooting.
1985CTFC
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote: 04 Sep 2023, 20:30

Swing and whack to get the feeling of ball on boot. The running and passing warms up the muscles and heart, but they don’t provide the opportunity to put the foot through it. If they just want to feel ball on boot they probably aren’t even fussed about hitting the target.

I play in a racquet sport league (not tennis) and always like to finish the warm up with a couple of good whacks and thumps to get that feeling - not bothered where the shot actually goes.

You would be better off going to the training ground and watching the actual shooting training and coaching to see players actually trying to practice and improve their shooting.
Think you are missing the point...why do they do something which obviously has no effect later in the game.
And if you didn't have a couple of good whacks at the end of the warm up would it make the slightest difference to what happens when you take on your opponent 2 minutes later. More than likely not.
Just a routine or habit individuals /teams get used to doing.
Have often wondered about visiting the training ground when I come up to visit.
Have two dogs would they be allowed to sit with me and watch ? Serious question. H and S and all that.
Would love to see what they do in training.
You come along as well Regency and we can both sort them all out!!!!
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
1985CTFC wrote: 04 Sep 2023, 20:50
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote: 04 Sep 2023, 20:30

Think you are missing the point...why do they do something which obviously has no effect later in the game.
And if you didn't have a couple of good whacks at the end of the warm up would it make the slightest difference to what happens when you take on your opponent 2 minutes later. More than likely not.
Just a routine or habit individuals /teams get used to doing.
Have often wondered about visiting the training ground when I come up to visit.
Have two dogs would they be allowed to sit with me and watch ? Serious question. H and S and all that.
Would love to see what they do in training.
You come along as well Regency and we can both sort them all out!!!!
You’re missing the point. If players like to get the feeling of ball on boot before starting a game they like to get the feeling. Maybe they will be more confident. Don’t want our player in the first minute worrying about slicing their first proper kick of the day because they didn’t get a chance to do so.

And habit and routine like you say. I don’t finish my warm up with the same whacks and thumps I always do it is on my mind when I start the match and I feel out of routine. Might not make a difference but if I lose the first point I’ll be thinking “should have stuck to the normal warm up routine” etc. Sports people are full of routines. Same as players always eat and drink the same things at the same time every match day. Or wearing lucky pants.

Teams do shooting/kicking drills before games at all grounds I have been to so it is obviously something players and coaches like doing. And ultimately top elite coaches and players know more about preparing for elite matches than you or I do, so if they think it helps so be it.

I think you are trying to over complicate it.
Si Robin
I do this - much prefer it.
everyman
The warm up is essential for "elite" athletes,but the shooting drills are more likely getting a feel for the pitch and atmosphere at least on the bigger grounds.
I knew a footballer who never liked scoring in the warm up,rather save the goals for match proper.
1985CTFC
Not saying they don't have a full warm up but I bet if they skip the shooting practice we would not notice any difference during the game. In fact if one of the players is scuffing or blasting over that is more likely to be on his mind later. I know habit and routines are embedded in sports teams but sometimes as they say a change is as good as a rest. Try something different.
Alf
You can't make someone into a striker. It’s a talent. They’re born with it.
The others could go out on the pitch at mid-day for three hours but it wouldn’t make any difference when the game starts. You can either find the back of the net on a regular basis or you can’t.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
1985CTFC wrote: 05 Sep 2023, 09:37 Not saying they don't have a full warm up but I bet if they skip the shooting practice we would not notice any difference during the game. In fact if one of the players is scuffing or blasting over that is more likely to be on his mind later. I know habit and routines are embedded in sports teams but sometimes as they say a change is as good as a rest. Try something different.
You are still making the mistake or calling it shooting practice. It is not. As Alf says above it is about getting a feel for it, and not all players are even trying to get it in the net.

If you don’t think it will make any difference to the game, why are you so keen for them to stop doing it? Players up and down the country clearly like doing it for whatever reason so why not let them crack-on if it doesn’t make a difference?
Swiss-Robin
Realistically?

Who cares.

Will always carry on regardless.

Pointless post.
1985CTFC
Swiss-Robin wrote: 05 Sep 2023, 13:12 Realistically?

Who cares.

Will always carry on regardless.

Pointless post.
You're lucky you don't have to sit an watch them shooting everywhere except in to the back of the net. Maybe I get to the ground later and miss it eh? But it is annoying to watch. Might start watching the opposition routines instead.
'Pointless' is the right word with our shooting
1985CTFC
Just watched the pre match shoot out on ifollow. Much better shooting. Going to hit at least 4 goals tonight on that showing!!!!
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
1985CTFC wrote: 05 Sep 2023, 18:40 Just watched the pre match shoot out on ifollow. Much better shooting. Going to hit at least 4 goals tonight on that showing!!!!
You made the mistake again of thinking the pre-match warm up was linked to players’ actual shooting ability.
RobinsCTFC
Sercombe is usually the best during warm up. May was very good, and I seem to remember the boy being rather good too.

Others seem to hardly ever hit the target.

It has little to no bearing in the actual game though, it's a bit like taking a penalty down the park to practice for a penalty shootout at a world cup.