what difference will it make ?

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

Nesty
1. we cant make any signings until January (apart from unattached players)
2. Far roo many of the squad arent good enough including the strikers who collectively couldnt score if the opposition went on a two week holiday

overall I feel sorry for Wade

The structure of the coaching / management staff needs looking at
Last edited by Nesty on 21 Sep 2023, 14:11, edited 1 time in total.
Horteng
Nesty wrote: 21 Sep 2023, 08:29 1. we cant make any signings until January (apart from unattached players)
2. Far roo many of the squad arent good enough including the strikers who collectively couldnt score if the opposition went on a two week holiday

It does. If Wade has paid the price I believe the Milton, Russell etc should also go. Complete freshen up from top to bottom of the backroom staff.
Robin
Keena can score and is a good player, he showed that last season but he needs a partner who compliments him and the team need to play to his strengths. Wouldn't mind us bringing in a free transfer striker if there is anyone, we need to send some of the loans back and off load Adshead and Chapman too.
Ihearye
Nesty wrote: 21 Sep 2023, 08:29 1. we cant make any signings until January (apart from unattached players)

There is something systemically wrong when we lose so many of the behind the scenes staff at one go, thus making recruitment harder and the managers job harder. The answer is probably the obvious , but what makes ctfc a less attractive place to work?
PCrobin
Robin wrote: 21 Sep 2023, 08:31 Keena can score and is a good player, he showed that last season but he needs a partner who compliments him and the team need to play to his strengths. Wouldn't mind us bringing in a free transfer striker if there is anyone, we need to send some of the loans back and off load Adshead and Chapman too.
Definitely! Too many loans not contributing much. We're crying out for a free transfer striker with a bit of experience, an old warhorse with some nous who can bully a few central defenders and make space for others. Julian Allsop up to much these days?! ;)
asl
Robin wrote: 21 Sep 2023, 08:31 Keena can score and is a good player, he showed that last season but he needs a partner who compliments him
Jeez, if I thought all it took was someone to tell him his hair looks nice and that the red shirt really suits him, I'd be letting him know all day long. Have you lost weight, Aidan? You've been going to the gym, haven't you?
longmover
Horteng wrote: 21 Sep 2023, 08:30

It does. If Wade has paid the price I believe the Milton, Russell etc should also go. Complete freshen up from top to bottom of the backroom staff.

Agree with Milton, a very big thank you but lets get a new pair of eyes on this, all a bit too chummy imo
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
The main difference will be seen when a) all the loans and signings are up to fitness and b) injured players return.

Wade made the point on Tuesday that some of the young loans have been fatiguing after 60 mins, and that Thompson hasn’t been able to train because he is needed in games.

The upshot of injury and fatigue is players have been having to play when they are injured (e.g Long) or having to play more minutes than they should (Keena, Ferry, Sercombe).

In my view, one of the reasons Keena looked more at it on Tuesday was because we finally had more options on the bench, so he could come off after 60-70 mins rather than having to manage energy to last 100 mins.

It is true that games have been lost by fine margins, and not having enough players to be able to play at full throttle for 90 mins is a significant cause of being on the wrong side of the margin.

It also means we have to play more conservatively. With no options to replace full-backs and strikers after an hour, they can’t press with the required intensity as they have to manage energy to last the game. Hence more containing low block football.

Until we have a fully fit match day 18 with the rotation players available for the running roles (full backs and strikers) the new manager won’t be able to change anything substantial.

Hopefully the change and new manager can at least get us scoring again even if we don’t win matches.

The irony is, when the players are fully fit and we look much better people will credit the new manager, even though it is what Wade has been saying is the plan. On Tuesday he said, regarding Thompson not playing matches so he can train, that “it will hurt us in the short-term but makes us better in the long-term”.

It will be the new manager who reaps those rewards later in the season.
Shade
Anybody thought Russell Milton might actually be a genius and the reason we have been so poor going forward this season is because he's left the coaching staff? Just maybe?
horlickfanclub
Shade wrote: 21 Sep 2023, 10:05 Anybody thought Russell Milton might actually be a genius and the reason we have been so poor going forward this season is because he's left the coaching staff? Just maybe?
Good point Shade.
everyman
We will hopefully have just one coach/manager shouting advice from the technical area instead of 3 which has been usual this season and must have been confusing for the players.
asl
everyman wrote: 21 Sep 2023, 11:00 We will hopefully have just one coach/manager shouting advice from the technical area instead of 3 which has been usual this season and must have been confusing for the players.
Yes. In particular, James Bittner might STFU. He's the goalkeeping coach (I've just bothered looking him up!) and he's had running battles with the 4th official about the length of time he spends shouting instructions along with the manager and assistant. Not sure he helps, tbh - no personal experience of him, but he does come across as someone who thinks he's in charge.
shevates
asl wrote: 21 Sep 2023, 11:32
everyman wrote: 21 Sep 2023, 11:00 We will hopefully have just one coach/manager shouting advice from the technical area instead of 3 which has been usual this season and must have been confusing for the players.
Yes. In particular, James Bittner might STFU. He's the goalkeeping coach (I've just bothered looking him up!) and he's had running battles with the 4th official about the length of time he spends shouting instructions along with the manager and assistant. Not sure he helps, tbh - no personal experience of him, but he does come across as someone who thinks he's in charge.

We stand alongside each other in the paddock Al, and this was one of my concerns with W.E. He spent more time in an argument with the 4th official than kicking the arses of some of our players who needed it more than the official did, Duff let the players know he wasnt happy as well as the officials