Steve Cotterill

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

Jon Palmer
Haitch
shambles, you'd have thought the board had some ideas and candidates lined up before "sacking" wade, this is going to be messy
Horteng
Haitch wrote: 22 Sep 2023, 11:51 shambles, you'd have thought the board had some ideas and candidates lined up before "sacking" wade, this is going to be messy
It does seem strange. Why sack him with no replacement lined up then install his assistant as interim manager. Seems a waste of time to me
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Other similar news headlines this afternoon:

“Revealed: where bears cr@p”

“Pope: I’m a Catholic!”
Haitch
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote: 22 Sep 2023, 11:59 Other similar news headlines this afternoon:

“Revealed: where bears cr@p”

“Pope: I’m a Catholic!”
could even add super in advance team news such as "Olayinka to not be in the squad for tomorrow"
PCrobin
🙄 Does the Pope sh*t in the woods...?
Ihearye
I used to think SC knew something about football, then he comes out with stuff like
not keen to replace someone he holds in such high regard.
I am incredibly sorry to see Wadey leave and I thought he did a fantastic job last season
putting Elliott and the club in an almost impossible position over the summer
his season, I think he’s been up against it for quite a while now and I know how hard he’s worked through a summer of upheaval
the number of injuries they’ve picked up this season is something as a manager you can’t legislate for
I’ve been to Cheltenham this season to watch games, supporting Wadey and the team

Thank God those in control didn't fall for this spin :o
Ihearye
Also, does he not know he is 5/4 fav with the bookies LOL
Robin
Are you of the opinion Wade should not have been sacked then? Sorry but this run we are on with one point and zero goals scored and hardly any chances created would get anyone sacked. The issue is the board dithered and don't appear to have a plan which is a much bigger issue.
Si Robin
Whilst I don't think he will come back - it is interesting he doesn't outright deny becoming the Director of Football in future.

He doesn't need me to defend him, but I think Ihearye has been quite clear that he thinks Wade didn't deserve to be sacked, and he's perfectly entitled to such an opinion
Ihearye
Robin wrote: 22 Sep 2023, 12:54 Are you of the opinion Wade should not have been sacked then? Sorry but this run we are on with one point and zero goals scored and hardly any chances created would get anyone sacked. The issue is the board dithered and don't appear to have a plan which is a much bigger issue.
Your last point Robin, is one of the more obvious reasons why he should not have been sacked. Who takes such drastic action without having a plan in place? Or at the very least a main target in place, as it appears the target was SC!

Apart from that, yes I do think he should have been allowed more time because
1. He lost well nigh the entirety of his back room structure during the summer and has had to plough his own furrow
2. He has only had a completed squad for 2 weeks
3. He has had a never ending set of injuries in the squad.
4. I won't go into the May fiasco
5. Games on the whole have been close
Robin
We agree, and it makes me fear we are about to panic into hiring another Buckle or Allen style disaster manager.
Garby74
Robin everyone on here agreed wade should be sacked.
Wade is sacked

All of a sudden there's a Wade love in....

WTF

The football has been the worst for 3 years.

Yes it's not all Wades fault.

But check the stats people.
How many shots on target ?
How much possession?
How much pressing?

Jesus Christ
horlickfanclub
Garby74 wrote: 22 Sep 2023, 16:03 Robin everyone on here agreed wade should be sacked.
Wade is sacked

WTF

How much possession?
How much pressing?

Jesus Christ
Everyone did not agree that Wade should be sacked.
Ihearye
Garby74 wrote: 22 Sep 2023, 16:03 Robin everyone on here agreed wade should be sacked.
Wade is sacked

WTF

How much possession?
How much pressing?

Jesus Christ
Thanks for telling me I had changed my mind, didn't even know I had
Worst in 3 years LOL He was part of delivering those 3 years
Garby74
Ok then guys
How long is long enough.
I hear ....Horlick?
Where you happy with the performances?
Did you see a steady positive progression?
Be truthful?
Garby74
Have a look back through the frekin stats guys.
It makes for grim reading.
It's a results business.

Look at the teams we came up with
Ihearye
Garby74 wrote: 22 Sep 2023, 16:34 Have a look back through the frekin stats guys.
It's a results business.

is this your attempt to prove everyone wanted him gone? Read the frekin posts from way back
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Garby74 wrote: 22 Sep 2023, 16:32 Ok then guys
How long is long enough.
I hear ....Horlick?
Where you happy with the performances?
Did you see a steady positive progression?
Be truthful?
I saw progression when we had players fit. But that’s barely happened.

I agree the run has been awful and something had to change. Would Wade had changed it with more than two games since signing players? We will never know.

Last season he changed our dire run around. And he and Duff did the same with our dire run the previous season.

Ultimately, when something needs changing there is little to change other than the manager and it was inevitable.

I am in the ‘something had to change and this is what it is’ camp rather than ‘its all Wade so sack him’ camp.

In L1 we will always struggle. And if we sack every manager after a dire 8 game run every time we will get through 3 managers a season.
Ralph
Garby74 wrote: 22 Sep 2023, 16:34 Have a look back through the frekin stats guys.
It's a results business.

I didn't want him gone. I wanted him there a little longer. What you and others seem to have forgotten is that last season, he took us to our second highest ever position in the FL. Yes, May was a big part of it but the fact is, he did it.

Great, you got your way and he's gone.. Now what?
Garby74
RCS the difference was the performances weren't there this season.
Duffos and Wades bad runs the performances were on the whole good.
It was a matter of time before we picked up points.

This season is much much differant.

If you check my post on other threads...I actually said I wanted wade to have a few more games.

I don't think it would have mattered ...we're broken.

Zero goals in 10 backs that up.

Where now?

What I would take Saturday is a decent performance from Ferry and Sercombe.
asl
That's mind-blowing, Garby... I was thinking earlier how The Nest used to have a certain reputation ("poisonous", I believe Mr Baker called it) and yet it had been pretty tolerant with this whole situation in the past few weeks. The kiddies on Facebook were certainly very vocal about wanting WE out - but if you can find more than a couple of posts on here saying the same, I'd be surprised. Many of us agreed his sacking was inevitable and a change had to be made. That's not the same as the idiot on Facebook who had the audacity to start a post: "WE THE FANS DEMAND......" (his caps and lack of punctuation) as if he spoke for everyone. He certainly didn't speak for me.
Garby74
Whats mind blowing?
Please explain.

How many games have you watched this season?

What is your honest view of what you have seen?
asl
You suggested everyone on here wanted WE gone: that is a completely false conclusion - unusually, for The Nest. Not sure how else to make that clear for you.

I attended the Shrews, Cobblers and Barnsley games. You?

I thought we were flat and lifeless in the first two with no clear tactical plan - but played well in the third. Like I said, it was inevitable that WE was going to be sacked. Was it the right time? Not so sure about that.
Garby74
Maybe my generalisation and wording was not correct.

My main point was really the feeling on the forum has been pretty negative towards wade for a while.

When he's inevitably sacked everyone's very sad.

Weird.

I've watched every match this season live with the exception on Portsmouth.

Every team we have played this season has had a better balance, been fluid in transition and carried an attacking threat.

No one has answered my question regarding who much time they think Wade should have been given?

Imo Wades a coach not a manager.
I think he maybe got bog down with all the backroom merry go round & round
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Garby74 wrote: 22 Sep 2023, 19:22 Maybe my generalisation and wording was not correct.

My main point was really the feeling on the forum has been pretty negative towards wade for a while.

Weird.

Every team we have played this season has had a better balance, been fluid in transition and carried an attacking threat.

No one has answered my question regarding who much time they think Wade should have been given?

I think he should have been given at least another five games with the new signings. There were clear signs on Tuesday that with the new pacey signings we can play much better football and look more dangerous, and that was with 10 men.
Shade
It's possible to want a change but also be sad to lose a nice guy. Just because you want a different manager doesn't mean the old one was the devil. This is a what some of the social media tits don't seem to understand. We didn't score or win under him for 8 league games so they abuse him and are unbelievably disrespectful. It's unnecessary. Now they're doing the same to the board. Same as Wade, they're doing their best. It might not be great, but the abuse is unnecessary. Literally seen just now someone has mocked up a pic of Bloxham in stocks getting sponges chucked at him. What's that about?
Ihearye
Ralph wrote: 22 Sep 2023, 17:19
It's a results business.

I didn't want him gone. I wanted him there a little longer. What you and others seem to have forgotten is that last season, he took us to our second highest ever position in the FL. Yes, May was a big part of it but the fact is, he did it.

Great, you got your way and he's gone.. Now what?
It could be argued the clean sheets had as much, if not more of a say to our league position than May's goals
Haitch
Garby74 wrote: 22 Sep 2023, 19:22 Maybe my generalisation and wording was not correct.

Weird.

Spot. On.
Ihearye

Weird.

Given you posted twice in defence of your views after that idiotic statement, it is good to see you at last admit you were talking ballix

How long ? More than 2 weeks within bringing in the last group of the squad (and having lost some of them due to international duties

He certainly did get bogged own in the backroom stuff, because there was nobody else to do it - not sure who else picked up the baton of keeping the club going. Was he looking for thanks, guess not, but maybe a smidgen of loyalty. If this run had come in December, he would still be here.

As far as other teams go, I have not the inclination or the time, to check how their summer went re squad building, timelines, staff retention, injuries etc. All leads to a fair comparison
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Ihearye wrote: 23 Sep 2023, 12:28

Weird.

Given you posted twice in defence of your views after that idiotic statement, it is good to see you at last admit you were talking ballix

How long ? More than 2 weeks within bringing in the last group of the squad (and having lost some of them due to international duties

He certainly did get bogged own in the backroom stuff, because there was nobody else to do it - not sure who else picked up the baton of keeping the club going. Was he looking for thanks, guess not, but maybe a smidgen of loyalty. If this run had come in December, he would still be here.

As far as other teams go, I have not the inclination or the time, to check how their summer went re squad building, timelines, staff retention, injuries etc. All leads to a fair comparison
I doubt the other clubs’ chairmen aren’t coming out saying it was hard for the manager having to take on all the responsibilities of a Director of Football at short notice half way through the summer.
robinsrule
Shade wrote: 22 Sep 2023, 19:35 It's possible to want a change but also be sad to lose a nice guy. Just because you want a different manager doesn't mean the old one was the devil. This is a what some of the social media tits don't seem to understand. We didn't score or win under him for 8 league games so they abuse him and are unbelievably disrespectful. It's unnecessary. Now they're doing the same to the board. Same as Wade, they're doing their best. It might not be great, but the abuse is unnecessary. Literally seen just now someone has mocked up a pic of Bloxham in stocks getting sponges chucked at him. What's that about?
Spot on! There is always a middle ground. The manager was trying his best under tough circumstances and the board have made mistakes but it’s time to move on and support the team and whoever ends up as the new manager.
Ihearye
Get him in asap as DOF, use his contacts and experience to first off pick a manager and then look at how we can survive until January and then build in January. We can not afford the time for Russ to hopefully develop. Who knows if Russ actually wanted the new post. Either he is an excellent assistant manager and / or coach, or he has pictures of the board members stashed away somewhere. But we seem to have broken up a pairing that worked for some obscure reason and now we are having to make do or improve until January.
God knows we will score and win at some stage before too long, but recent decisions will play little part in that
SHANDY VOR
I watched Wade's last interview and was shocked - he looked like a haunted albino.

Now, I'm well known for my compassion.

If we ever hit anything on the road I'm first to spring out of the car with my baseball bat to smash the face off the poor suffering creature, and put it out of our joint misery. As I draw my shoulders back, there is always that shared knowing look between animal and beast; I can only describe it as a cross between 'thank you Shandy', 'this is going to sting a bit', and 'wow you really are the voice of reason'.

I saw that same look in Elliott Wade's face.

For his own sake I think it was the right decision for him to get out of the road before he got hurt. He can retreat into the woods to lick his wounds, and others, and maybe one day he might reappear on some minor country lane.

Despite what Shankly said, there's more to life than football. While the overrated sweaty might be remembered for his football, he is dead, despite what the conspiracy theorists say. I bet you he would swap his medals for immortality.

Sometimes we all need to take a step back and get some perspective.