Cheltenham Town v Wigan Athletic

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

Jon Palmer
Team news, live updates and reaction all here this afternoon:
https://www.gloucestershirelive.co.uk/s ... ic-8898102
Playmeuptop
Battling really well after losing a soft goal, first 15 I was worried but settled well and deserved equaliser. They will get a rocket at half time so hopefully we can continue to upset their rhythm.

On a side note spoke to Liam Smith there and asked about his injury. He said he’s had a clean up procedure done and hopes when healed his issue wil be over and he can get a good run of games.
RS1978
20 minutes to go, Wigan penalty saved and we're on the front foot. Will DC stick or twist...
Playmeuptop
Actually feel like we deserved to win that, Southwood has had nothing to do all second half. Fitness level’s excellent. Great effort. Plenty time now to recover.
triggo
Just the sort of perfomance we need to have any chance of survival at all.
Wasnt pretty
wasnt meant to be
Route one all the way
who cares !
Dogged it out and really rattled a good team.
Midfield three were outstanding.
Well done guys
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Thompson and Pett, fantastic.

If only that effort had gone in off the post from Goody (as it does for opponents) who knows.

SLIG’s penalty save cheered like a goal and rightly so.

Great performance. Wigan rattled. Sh/could have won.
Nesty
triggo wrote: 11 Nov 2023, 17:14 Just the sort of perfomance we need to have any chance of survival at all.
Wasnt pretty
wasnt meant to be
Route one all the way
who cares !
Dogged it out and really rattled a good team.
Midfield three were outstanding.
Well done guys
Agree 100%
Nesty
We have taken eight points from our last five League One matches, so at that rate, with 30 games left we could finish up with 57 points
art vandalay
We deserved to win. We battered them and they didn’t like it. Great to see us having many more shots than the opposition and the midfield three worked really hard, shows what we’ve been missing.
Broadway Brian
A really enjoyable game of football. That’s exactly why I’ve sat in the cold for 2 hours a week for the last 40 odd years.

We could have edged it and would have deserved it.

Everyone performed and everyone battled. Midfield were the pick and great to see Sercs roaming and pressing up top, but the forwards gave every ounce of energy and defence never took a backward step against some proper units.

Pett seems an astute signing given his calmness and communication on the pitch.

Shame we couldn’t seemingly get a match sponsor and a MOTM for that.
RS1978
WRT Keena, in the past he's been in a partnership - first with Mata then with May. He strikes me as being a confidence player - so if that shot in the 90th minute had gone the other side of the post it would have done wonders - but maybe 10 minutes at the end of a game shows DC's lack of faith?

Maybe in January I'd put in a cheeky loan bid for Mata from Shrewsbury and get the old team back together - if we can afford to wait that long!
shevates
Encouraging performance. Thompson superb
Shade
Really deserved to win that. Proud of the lads today, fought their way back into a game, turned it around and dominated a team that should be challenging for the play offs, even with the 8 point deduction.
Garby74
Soft goal again.
Recomposed and really went at Wigan....who were clearly hanging on second half.

The boys didn't tire even after that work rate. Bravo one and all.

The crowd nearly roared home a deserved win.

Shambles by ref at the end.
Clearly bottled it!

Never mind.

Well done lads 👏 👏
Jerry St Clair
Racking my brains to remember the last time I went to a Cheltenham game in which our midfield conlletely ran the show. Must have been Duff/Callum Wright era?
Robin
That's probably the best I've seen us this season, each and every player was really good. Well done.
Warwickshire Robin
Jerry St Clair wrote: 11 Nov 2023, 19:01 Racking my brains to remember the last time I went to a Cheltenham game in which our midfield conlletely ran the show. Must have been Duff/Callum Wright era?
Spot on, in fact I dont remember a Cheltenham midfield physically dominating like that even in the Duff era. Also, the front two gave the Wigan defence no respite all game, Goodwin in particular bullied their centre backs.

Special mention for Owen Bevan at the back who had a brilliant game in my opinion.

Performances like that, win, lose or draw, will make following CTFC very enjoyable!
QED
After the Bolton game (which feels like a long time ago now), I posted on here about what I thought we’d really lost with Alfie - someone who inspired the rest of the team with his attitude, the running and chasing lost causes and general Scrappy Doo things that set the tone for the rest of the team, and they followed.

That was the kind of thing we got today, all over the pitch players were committing in a way that they just weren’t in September. Players with the confidence to step forward or take on a shot or put a foot in or turn a 40-60 into a 50-50 because they wanted it more. Pett was leading by example in the midfield and everyone else was falling in behind him.

Not saying this was down to Pett alone btw but clear that’s what DC wants, and it’s the only way we have even a tiny chance of staying in this division - want it more and show some of the massive budgets with toytown stadiums that we’ll drag them down to our level, take it toe to toe and beat them with our desire and experience in a street fight.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Warwickshire Robin wrote: 11 Nov 2023, 20:04
Jerry St Clair wrote: 11 Nov 2023, 19:01 Racking my brains to remember the last time I went to a Cheltenham game in which our midfield conlletely ran the show. Must have been Duff/Callum Wright era?
Spot on, in fact I dont remember a Cheltenham midfield physically dominating like that even in the Duff era. Also, the front two gave the Wigan defence no respite all game, Goodwin in particular bullied their centre backs.

Special mention for Owen Bevan at the back who had a brilliant game in my opinion.

Performances like that, win, lose or draw, will make following CTFC very enjoyable!
Best midfield display since PPS, in my view.
Ihearye
you can all expect the wheels to come off the resurgent wagon next week...... I am coming home from my holidays
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Ihearye wrote: 12 Nov 2023, 07:14 you can all expect the wheels to come off the resurgent wagon next week...... I am coming home from my holidays
We’ll crowdfund another trip for you if needed.
Jerry St Clair
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:
Best midfield display since PPS, in my view.
Blimey. That’s both amazing and depressing.
Si Robin
After a slow start that was easily the best performance of the season. The defence were solid, the midfield were gritty and strong and the front two were tenacious.

Pett was probably motm, but there were shouts all over the pitch, Long was fantastic on the right, Thompson and Sercs gave absolutely everything and how calm was Owen Bevan at the back.

What made the performance even better was Ferry and Keena coming on and showing the same effort and desire as the rest of the team.

Play like that going forward and we give ourselves a chance. As DC said in his interview, the players have set a level of expectation now and will need to live up to it in every game going forward.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Si Robin wrote: 12 Nov 2023, 09:13 After a slow start that was easily the best performance of the season. The defence were solid, the midfield were gritty and strong and the front two were tenacious.

Pett was probably motm, but there were shouts all over the pitch, Long was fantastic on the right, Thompson and Sercs gave absolutely everything and how calm was Owen Bevan at the back.

What made the performance even better was Ferry and Keena coming on and showing the same effort and desire as the rest of the team.

Play like that going forward and we give ourselves a chance. As DC said in his interview, the players have set a level of expectation now and will need to live up to it in every game going forward.
Agreed. The thirteen who played yesterday did not look like a relegation side.

Whether they are good enough to make up the lost ground I am not so sure, but we should at least make a fight of it.
tunnelvision
Good performances all round but the standout player for me was Thompson - absolutely superb!

Also think Williams deserves a mention too. I’ve often been critical of him but put in his best performance for a long while.
Garby74
I agree tunnel...I too have given Williams lots of stick.
But he did well yesterday.

Often targeted as the weak link so from first whistle sees more of the action imo.
Ihearye
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote: 12 Nov 2023, 08:06
Ihearye wrote: 12 Nov 2023, 07:14 you can all expect the wheels to come off the resurgent wagon next week...... I am coming home from my holidays
We’ll crowdfund another trip for you if needed.
Yes please, I have hidden shallows