Advertising

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

asl
Just seen a blatant piece of advertising by the official Facebook account for Jameson Black Barrel whiskey. Struck me as very odd and I've never seen that before from CTFC. Not entirely sure it's appropriate? Not necessarily because it's alcohol, just because I didn't think the club would be doing that. I presume the club was paid for it - but does that make it right?

Am I wrong to find it odd?
Si Robin
You're not wrong, but it wasn't just a CTFC thing, it was an EFL thing. As I follow all of the League 1 clubs on Twitter, my timeline was literally that ad from every single one of them at the same time.
Shade
It does seem odd for CTFC to advertise it but if alcohol is allowed to be sold at the ground for profit I don't see why we shouldn't be able to advertise it online.

But as Si said, it's an EFL thing. Jameson's no doubt pay the EFL and the EFL instructs the clubs to run the adverts as part of the overall financial deal.
Ihearye
asl wrote: 07 Dec 2023, 19:28 Just seen a blatant piece of advertising by the official Facebook account for Jameson Black Barrel whiskey. Struck me as very odd and I've never seen that before from CTFC. Not entirely sure it's appropriate? Not necessarily because it's alcohol, just because I didn't think the club would be doing that. I presume the club was paid for it - but does that make it right?

Am I wrong to find it odd?
Ihearye
Personally don't find it offensive or odd, not just because it is quite a pleasant tipple, but if any item is openly on sale in every supermarket in the country. It strikes me as slightly churlish to suggest that a random advert should be banned. I would doubt your average alcoholic is bingeing on a £29 bottle of Jamesons black barrel.
asl
'Odd' in that I've never seen the CTFC FB account openly advertise *any* products. Not sure how you felt that I found it 'offensive' - I was just making the point.

Thanks for the explanation, Si!
asl
Jameson is a fine mixer - but I prefer my grain malted... I've a nice 15yo Glendronach on the go (along with three peated bottles that I tend to gravitate towards during winter).
Jerry St Clair
A really interesting one this.

Advertising things that cause societal harm is a tricky area. They can't, of course, advertise tobacco. And gambling sites are rapidly heading towards the naughty step after years of dominating football sponsorship now that awareness around gambling addiction is growing.

Alcohol - a tricky one. Personally, I don't feel comfortable with my football club taking advertising revenue from them but I accept not a moral issue,
ctfc-fan
asl wrote:'Odd' in that I've never seen the CTFC FB account openly advertise *any* products. Not sure how you felt that I found it 'offensive' - I was just making the point.

They’re often promoting the Carabao energy drinks
Shade
ctfc-fan wrote: 07 Dec 2023, 21:28
asl wrote:'Odd' in that I've never seen the CTFC FB account openly advertise *any* products. Not sure how you felt that I found it 'offensive' - I was just making the point.

They’re often promoting the Carabao energy drinks
I've never looked at the ingredients but I expect a few Carabao's aren't exactly good for the body, either.

Unfortunately, you don't see Evian or WeightWatchers pumping much money into football sponsorship.
Ihearye
asl wrote: 07 Dec 2023, 20:51 'Odd' in that I've never seen the CTFC FB account openly advertise *any* products. Not sure how you felt that I found it 'offensive' - I was just making the point.

I obviously misinterpreted your use of the word 'odd'. World is still spinning
asl
I might have missed Carabao because they are clearly associated with the League Cup - same with Papa John's, I guess. Not sure Jameson falls into the same bracket.
asl
Incidentally (and digressing, somewhat), if you're ever in Dublin, the Jameson distillery tour is well worth doing (after the Guinness one, obviously...) It's a lot more hands-on with demos and stuff that you can actually experience yourself rather than just being taken from mash tun to wash still, blah, blah, like many tours.
Shade
Well, if we're sliding into whisky tours, if anyone finds themselves in the north of Scotland, Glenmorangie is interesting...

Can't stand the stuff, personally. Whisky, that is. More of a Disaronno and Jagermeister connoisseur...

Anyway, Brostil Revors tomorrow.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Shade wrote: 08 Dec 2023, 13:01 Well, if we're sliding into whisky tours, if anyone finds themselves in the north of Scotland, Glenmorangie is interesting...

Can't stand the stuff, personally. Whisky, that is. More of a Disaronno and Jagermeister connoisseur...

Good omen.

I watched the Mo/PPS liquid football destruction of Rovers at the Mem from a hotel room in Spain.

Tomorrow I’ll be watching from a hotel room in Spain..
theidlerich
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote: 08 Dec 2023, 13:28
Shade wrote: 08 Dec 2023, 13:01 Well, if we're sliding into whisky tours, if anyone finds themselves in the north of Scotland, Glenmorangie is interesting...

Good omen.

I watched the Mo/PPS liquid football destruction of Rovers at the Mem from a hotel room in Spain.

Tomorrow I’ll be watching from a hotel room in Spain..

...What not in the Caribbean for the ODI's....shame....
and for Shade....try the dark beer 'Skye Black'; almost as good as Adnams dark ales...actually better than..:)