Port Vale

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

paperboy
Powerful letter to Port Vale fans from owner Carol Shanahan.

https://twitter.com/OfficialPVFC/status ... grhYQ&s=19
asl
What triggered that??
Si Robin
Their fans were singing that they wanted the Director of Football (David Flitcroft) out of the club last night.
asl
Yea, just flicked through an 8-page forum thread (posted in the last couple of hours!) where I'd say about 80% of posters think she's wrong and David Flitcroft is wrong and it's all bollox.
Ihearye
somebody should have warned me to get some snacks and a drink before starting to read that
longmover
lol at this

Stop being horrible to my boyfriend.....Um err Mr Flitcroft <cough>

total twaddle.
Jerry St Clair
Reads a bit like "be more grateful peasants" to me.
horlickfanclub
She has every right to say what she has said. Port Vale was a sinking club and will not find good owners so easily again. The sense of entitlement of some watchers of football is depressing.
longmover
horlickfanclub wrote: 08 Feb 2024, 11:43 She has every right to say what she has said. Port Vale was a sinking club and will not find good owners so easily again. The sense of entitlement of some watchers of football is depressing.
welcome to football, if they're naive enough to think they are beyond comment is quite something. Can only imagine her response will drive a wedge deeper. Not the greatest bit of PR is it.
asl
Jerry St Clair wrote: 08 Feb 2024, 11:36 Reads a bit like "be more grateful peasants" to me.
That's how I read it, tbh - stopped just short of saying "you utterly ungrateful barstewards..."

Odd bit of virtue signalling with the meals on wheels service during covid lockdown - not sure that helped her cause.
bigdavejambo
Darren Moore appointed Port Vale manager
longmover
bigdavejambo wrote: 13 Feb 2024, 15:30 Darren Moore appointed Port Vale manager
5.5 year deal, he'll be sacked before poached.
Uppy
Think that’s a good appointment unfortunately.
longmover
three wins in 23 matches at Huddersfield, I'm not really convinced by him tbh.
1985CTFC
Big name but no guarantee to keep them up. Going to have to hit the ground running, a bit like DC. Looks like his first game will be against us, as talk their game against Peterboro is off tonight. Not sure if that is good or not.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
1985CTFC wrote: 13 Feb 2024, 17:48 Big name but no guarantee to keep them up. Going to have to hit the ground running, a bit like DC. Looks like his first game will be against us, as talk their game against Peterboro is off tonight. Not sure if that is good or not.
He couldn’t get more than a point at WR with Sheff Wed, let alone Vale.
1985CTFC
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote: 13 Feb 2024, 18:34
1985CTFC wrote: 13 Feb 2024, 17:48 Big name but no guarantee to keep them up. Going to have to hit the ground running, a bit like DC. Looks like his first game will be against us, as talk their game against Peterboro is off tonight. Not sure if that is good or not.
He couldn’t get more than a point at WR with Sheff Wed, let alone Vale.
If I was PV owner, I don't think I would appoint DM in their position. Not saying he isn't a good Manager but not convinced he is the type of manager to drag a club out the mire. If I am wrong I just hope it isn't to our detriment.
As regard to his time at Sheff Wed , I reckon you and I could have got Sheff Wed in to playoff position with their resources.
QED
After the last two games this is even bigger now. Disappointed that we’ve given Vale extra seats in the Colin Farmer - we should be doing marketing the living hell out of this to get as many home fans in as possible. Capitalise on the good vibes and get the place bouncing (or as close to bouncing as we’re able to manage)
PCrobin
Kids for a quid innit? Hopefully the kids will make some noise 😉

"Treated" myself to seats in the Main Stand as my Mrs is coming on Sat and she won't stand behind the goal for 2 hours...
HamTown
And currently in a busy period of games so even more important to get points early on. Hopefully Davies and Taylor in particular can be managed through
Si Robin
My youth football club are making its annual trek to Whaddon Road this week, so there will be 3-400 kids in Block 6/7 (are we sure it's been blocked out for Vale?) cheering the Robins on.
QED
Si Robin wrote: 14 Feb 2024, 10:56 My youth football club are making its annual trek to Whaddon Road this week, so there will be 3-400 kids in Block 6/7 (are we sure it's been blocked out for Vale?) cheering the Robins on.
Their forum says they’ve just had an extra 300 tickets released, and 7/8 are showing blocked out on our ticketing site
Si Robin
The team must be in block 6 then.
WhaddonIrregular
I asked at the ticket office yesterday as there's barely anything left if blocks 7 and 8 would be opened, and they said that there was a large group of kids in and they'd already sold, so I'm pretty sure Vale aren't in the CF.
Maybe their extras are because they weren't sent many in the Hazelwoods in the first place?
Ihearye
PCrobin wrote: 14 Feb 2024, 10:31 Kids for a quid innit? Hopefully the kids will make some noise 😉

"Treated" myself to seats in the Main Stand as my Mrs is coming on Sat and she won't stand behind the goal for 2 hours...
Enjoy the day, hope the combined height is approx 8' to optimise main stand comfort
PCrobin
Ihearye wrote: 14 Feb 2024, 11:29
PCrobin wrote: 14 Feb 2024, 10:31 Kids for a quid innit? Hopefully the kids will make some noise 😉

Enjoy the day, hope the combined height is approx 8' to optimise main stand comfort
Ha sadly not, I'm 6'2" so prepared for the usual 2 hours of agony! Which is why I don't sit in there very often..
:shock:
Ihearye
PCrobin wrote: 14 Feb 2024, 11:32
Ihearye wrote: 14 Feb 2024, 11:29

Ha sadly not, I'm 6'2" so prepared for the usual 2 hours of agony! Which is why I don't sit in there very often..
:shock:
Oh dear, must be like flying ryanair
Garby74
Saturday is (another) defining game in our season.
So many times we have failed in th3se important games.....I sense this one will be differant.
Darrell Clarke has opted for tried and tested players in his first window. Many questioned the quality....including me.
What a manager.
We truly are blessed.
In DC we trust!
1985CTFC
From comments of fans of team who Darren Moore managed, they will be defensive and probably unadventurous against us. He hasn't got the talent he had at Sheff Wed at this level. He has inherited a new team and players new to him with no win in 6 games. Conceding at time 3 goals in a game, My bet is they will come to park the bus and try and nick it. I am sure they would be happy with a point.
Going to be a different challenge to open up a team at Whaddon Road I reckon.
Be very surprised if they want an open game against us after our form under DC, and with us at home.
I might be wrong with them going full defensive mode , but we need an early goal to avoid the frustration we had playing Wycombe.
longmover
1985CTFC wrote: 14 Feb 2024, 13:10 From comments of fans of team who Darren Moore managed, they will be defensive and probably unadventurous against us. He hasn't got the talent he had at Sheff Wed at this level. He has inherited a new team and players new to him with no win in 6 games. Conceding at time 3 goals in a game, My bet is they will come to park the bus and try and nick it. I am sure they would be happy with a point.
Be very surprised if they want an open game against us after our form under DC, and with us at home.
I might be wrong with them going full defensive mode , but we need an early goal to avoid the frustration we had playing Wycombe.
For DM this is a DO NOT LOSE game.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
1985CTFC wrote: 14 Feb 2024, 13:10 From comments of fans of team who Darren Moore managed, they will be defensive and probably unadventurous against us. He hasn't got the talent he had at Sheff Wed at this level. He has inherited a new team and players new to him with no win in 6 games. Conceding at time 3 goals in a game, My bet is they will come to park the bus and try and nick it. I am sure they would be happy with a point.
I hope they park the bus. It will let Pett dominate from midfield like a cross between Messi and Pirlo. Between his and Sercombe’s passing, Keena’s flicks and through balls, and Matty Taylor’s finishing it will be like parking a bus with the handbrake on and doors left open.
Jerry St Clair
WhaddonIrregular wrote: 14 Feb 2024, 11:28 I asked at the ticket office yesterday as there's barely anything left if blocks 7 and 8 would be opened, and they said that there was a large group of kids in and they'd already sold, so I'm pretty sure Vale aren't in the CF.
Maybe their extras are because they weren't sent many in the Hazelwoods in the first place?
Looks like Vale have sold out blocks 4, 5 and 6 of the Hazlewoods. They have a hundred of so left in block 3.

Blocks 1 and 2 not on sale. We almost certainly won't open block 1 of the Hazlewoods up for home fans as we did last season for KFAQ against Accrington Stanley.
1985CTFC
Looking at the Port Vale side, it would appear their top scorer this season has a long term injury. Ben Garrity has scored about a third of PV goals this season, from midfield, which is quite impressive. So we won't be facing his threat on Saturday. One fan said they have a weakened squad, can't vouch for that though.
What was interesting was, Ben Garrity played under DC.
This is wiki below about him. A box to box player.

Manager Darrell Clarke described him as a "young, hungry and ambitious footballer with great energy and fitness levels". He scored his first goals for the "Valiants" on 11 September, his brace securing a 2–1 victory away at Swindon Town; Clarke praised Garrity for his serious professionalism after the match, pointing out that "he has tests to make sure he is getting the right food into his system". He went on to score the only goal of the game against Scunthorpe United and was nominated for September's Player of the Month award. On 7 December, he was played as a forward after Vale suffered an injury crisis that left them short of recognized strikers, and scored two goals to secure a 2–1 win at Bristol Rovers. He was nominated for March's Player of the Month award after "driving Vale forward in the absence of captain Tom Conlon", scoring three goals and creating another. He started in the play-off final at Wembley Stadium as Vale secured promotion with a 3–0 victory over Mansfield Town; Michael Baggaley of The Sentinel wrote that "[Garrity] never stopped running, as has been the case all season... a huge threat in the attacking midfield role". At the club's end of season awards, Garrity was named as Fan's Player of the Year, Player's Player of the Year and Supporter's Club Player of the Year.

If PV go down he looks an ideal player for us next season if we stay up. Might have competition mind.
Glad he isn't playing Saturday, another reason they are going to be defensive in my humble opinion.
Shade
They can be as defensive as they want, ol' Sniffer Bonds will find a way through a crowd...
Artemis
Apparently, Dwight Gale is at Vale Park trying to sort a deal with Moore.....take your time lads, sort it Monday....