Cheltenham Town v Blackpool

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

Ihearye
Si Robin wrote: 14 Feb 2024, 08:40
1985CTFC wrote: 13 Feb 2024, 23:45 Counting our chances we should have had 6 or 7 goals at least. Some really good chances, which have been rare this season. Not being wise after the event but was cringing when Keena stepped up for the penalty. He shouldn't be taking pens unless we are 3-0 up. But I will say Keena played well when he came on. Much better and started to look his old self. That was a vital pen being only 1-0 up. Luckily it didn't cost us. Longy should have took it I reckon.
But all was well so no complaints from me, they all played brilliantly except Southwood who had nowt to do. Lazy so and so!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I'm going to disagree with you, but I completely understand your point. If Keena isn't stepping up then I'm far more concerned. That he had the confidence to do it shows he still has belief in himself.

I was so gutted for him last night. I was willing him to just smash it down the middle. Then even when he hits it beautifully the keeper makes a great save (one of many to be fair to him).
Indeed as not many keepers have the balls to not go one way or another
Ihearye
art vandalay wrote: 13 Feb 2024, 22:31 That‘s 28 points from our last 18 games, it puts us back on track with just over the 1.5 points per game needed to hit 51.
Excuse me that is RCS job lol
Ihearye
1985CTFC wrote: 13 Feb 2024, 21:50 Melt down on the Blackpool Forum.....I did warn them ha ha...told them not to disrespect us....serves them right....they are c!#p away from home.
You need a thick skin to comment on there, they love abusing anyone and everyone
Ihearye
Shade wrote: 13 Feb 2024, 23:05 [quote=1985CTFC post_id=354844
Be funny if Charlton and Shrews go down.....and we stay up.
That would be absolutely perfect and would feel like huge karma after the season we have had, our star striker and half our backroom staff being robbed and all going down but, at the moment, I'd take us staying up at the expense of anyone.
[/quote]

Couldn't happen to a nicer bunch of feckers
1985CTFC
Si Robin wrote: 14 Feb 2024, 10:52
1985CTFC wrote: 14 Feb 2024, 10:11
Si Robin wrote: 14 Feb 2024, 08:40

I'm going to disagree with you, but I completely understand your point. If Keena isn't stepping up then I'm far more concerned. That he had the confidence to do it shows he still has belief in himself.

I was so gutted for him last night. I was willing him to just smash it down the middle. Then even when he hits it beautifully the keeper makes a great save (one of many to be fair to him).
You may have agreed with me if we went on to draw or lose after the penalty. We need to be pragmatic in this particular case. Only 1-0 up and if they score at their home end, could have been curtains. He will score in open play sometime. 2 pens missed not ideal at the moment. All very well having belief but it didn't work. We deserved the win but we need to play the odds and let someone take the next.
I'm sorry, but I absolutely would not have agreed with you. As QED says, of the players on the pitch, Aidan is the only one who has scored one for Cheltenham in a 90 minute game. He was the logical choice of taker.

That he didn't shy away from taking it is a good thing.

If it's the same scenario on Saturday, then I hope he has the balls to step up again.
To much pressure on the lad Keena. Have seen some of the others score in shoot outs.
Lloydy for me would be risky.
Still think a cool experienced cunning Irish head needed!!! Longy for me.
But I guess if Keena keeps taking them sooner or later he will score. Luckily it didn't cost us.
I guess everyone thinks if he scores from a penalty he will go on a scoring run. Not sure it works like that.
But Keena did well and that's the most important thing for me.
Who takes them if Taylor is on the field with Keena. Also if Joe N on field with Keena.
Joe N has a 12 from 12 penalty record. Food for thought
1985CTFC
What is every bodies list of 5 penalty takers in order if on the pitch.
Mine is, Taylor, Sercombe, Nuttall, Long, Keena.

So if we get another penalty does Keena take it? Would have thought Pett might take a good un.
1985CTFC
One of the best comments from Blackpool forum:

In the first half the Cheltenham keeper was playing upfront more than our strikers. He obviously knew his goal wouldn’t be under threat 😉
Artemis
1985CTFC wrote: 14 Feb 2024, 14:09 What is every bodies list of 5 penalty takers in order if on the pitch.

So if we get another penalty does Keena take it? Would have thought Pett might take a good un.
Taylor, Keena, Sercombe, Ferry and hoping one of those will always be on the pitch....if and it's a big if, we get another penalty.

Keena took a good penalty last night. The keeper made an exceptional stop.

Sercombe's always seem a bit hit and hope.
1985CTFC
Artemis wrote: 14 Feb 2024, 17:47
1985CTFC wrote: 14 Feb 2024, 14:09 What is every bodies list of 5 penalty takers in order if on the pitch.

Taylor, Keena, Sercombe, Ferry and hoping one of those will always be on the pitch....if and it's a big if, we get another penalty.

Keena took a good penalty last night. The keeper made an exceptional stop.

Sercombe's always seem a bit hit and hope.
Was a good save from a well hit penalty, but I would rather he scuffed it and score. A good penalty is one that hits the back of the net. Especially in our position. Just being pragmatic.
Red Duke
Ihearye wrote: 14 Feb 2024, 13:28
1985CTFC wrote: 13 Feb 2024, 21:50 Melt down on the Blackpool Forum.....I did warn them ha ha...told them not to disrespect us....serves them right....they are c!#p away from home.
You need a thick skin to comment on there, they love abusing anyone and everyone
A very entertaining read. They certainly don't think much of Critchley or the club chairman! The main thing I draw from it is that their manager is using tactics that are not suitable to their players' strengths. It never works at this level. It is sign of somebody used to coaching players at a higher level but can't adapt their tactics to players with lesser abilities and to how the opposition play.

He seems to be the complete opposite to DL who changed his tactics by stopping their centre backs playing out from the back. It seemed that they weren't expecting a high press and had no idea how to counteract it.
Jerry St Clair
I thought Blackpool looked utterly shellshocked by our aggression and physicality. We were right in the corner by Lewis Freestone's body slam. Two or three of the Blackpool players looked, and I don't think I am overstating this, really shaken. The minute Freestone did it I expected a huge melee of Blackpool players piling in to protect their team mate. The only one that did was Byers. None of the rest were up for it at all.

It's almost like they did no research or preparation.
Shade
Jerry St Clair wrote: 15 Feb 2024, 08:36 I thought Blackpool looked utterly shellshocked by our aggression and physicality. We were right in the corner by Lewis Freestone's body slam. Two or three of the Blackpool players looked, and I don't think I am overstating this, really shaken. The minute Freestone did it I expected a huge melee of Blackpool players piling in to protect their team mate. The only one that did was Byers. None of the rest were up for it at all.

It's almost like they did no research or preparation.
I forgot Byers was on the pitch. And I was looking out for him!
longmover
Red Duke wrote: 14 Feb 2024, 21:24
A very entertaining read. They certainly don't think much of Critchley or the club chairman! The main thing I draw from it is that their manager is using tactics that are not suitable to their players' strengths. It never works at this level. It is sign of somebody used to coaching players at a higher level but can't adapt their tactics to players with lesser abilities and to how the opposition play.

He seems to be the complete opposite to DL who changed his tactics by stopping their centre backs playing out from the back. It seemed that they weren't expecting a high press and had no idea how to counteract it.
Amazed me that they didn't have Dembélé running at Curtis Davis (on the left hand side) in the first half, as mentioned it looks as though they did zero research on us at all
Ihearye
longmover wrote: 15 Feb 2024, 11:30
Red Duke wrote: 14 Feb 2024, 21:24

Amazed me that they didn't have Dembélé running at Curtis Davis (on the left hand side) in the first half, as mentioned it looks as though they did zero research on us at all
They seemed to think that because he played the odd game for Celtic he should be a world beater. Sadly he didn't like a L 1 tackle along the touch line and cried his whole way home
CS85
When watching the away game vs Blackpool on ifollow he got fouled (dived) in the middle of the pitch, I could hear his scream through the TV.
Hes a decent player but hate talented players who take a dive,no need.