Cheltenham Town v Port Vale

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

Ihearye
Can't ask for more than that on a Saturday afternoon, excellent performance. First time in quite a while I have agreed with motm, thought Ferry was excellent today. Special mention to Jack Shepherd, who I thought really shone today, well done young man.
If that doesn't get people coming back, I don't know what would. Remember the old days when we always bottled it in front of a big crowd?
asl
robinsrule wrote: 17 Feb 2024, 17:22 I just had a highly enjoyable read of the Vale message board 🤣🤣🤣
Lots of people bemoaning the fact that Pett plays for us!
Ihearye
I expected to see Carol in the car park holding a 'down with this sort of thing' sign. beats writing another letter :0)
Ihearye
Must admit when I saw Loft and the size of unit he is, I thought we would have problems with him, but he was dealt with by the back 3 with comparative ease. Just goes to prove, you don't NEED to have a big number 9. But if you do, he needs to be half decent
Shade
One of those games where when we hadn't scored it felt like it could be one of those days. But once we had scored, even when we went behind, it felt like we had another couple of goals in us. Wasn't expecting them to come from Shepherd and Ferry, though!

First time we have scored 3 this season. And which was the best?!
CTFCfan99
Most impressive thing today was the response to going behind (twice). After a decent start it felt like Wycombe all over again, but fair play they responded superbly.
Ihearye
Shade wrote: 17 Feb 2024, 18:17 One of those games where when we hadn't scored it felt like it could be one of those days. But once we had scored, even when we went behind, it felt like we had another couple of goals in us. Wasn't expecting them to come from Shepherd and Ferry, though!

First time we have scored 3 this season. And which was the best?!
I would go with Shepherd, took it really well
RS1978
asl wrote: 17 Feb 2024, 18:02
robinsrule wrote: 17 Feb 2024, 17:22 I just had a highly enjoyable read of the Vale message board 🤣🤣🤣
Lots of people bemoaning the fact that Pett plays for us!
Lots of people in my area shouting "shoot" towards Pett when he got the ball on the edge of the area - forgetting that it's generally Sercombe that shoots form that range. :lol:

The thing that struck me about both Ferry and Shepherd's finishes was the calmness - from people that don't score that many. Lots of people would have snatched at the LF volley and smacked it over the top rather than into the top corner like Shepherd did. Ferry cut in from the left onto his right foot - and waited, and waited...until the goalie came out and committed - then Ferry stroked it into the empty net. Maybe Taylor's been giving people pointers on their finishing?

Lloydy put in another whole-hearted performance and got another standing ovation. Longy is always solid and it appears that we've now got a midfield with a bit of nous - Pett taking one for the team today preventing a quick PV attack and Harrop/Kins have done that in the past. Keena had a few flashes of his ability but probably needs more game time- the question is who do you drop? Need the words to the AK song though😂
Nesty
QED wrote: 17 Feb 2024, 17:17 What a result, true grit and hopefully 1000 new fans for life from the kids for a quid there
I N C R E D I B L E

O U T S TA N D I N G
Last edited by Nesty on 17 Feb 2024, 19:12, edited 4 times in total.
Shade
Feel a bit sorry for Harrop. Barely had a look in so far but he's looked pretty handy when he's had a few minutes on the pitch.
triggo
Well , that was a real battle.
First 20 mins was a real fight for every ball.
Vale were up for it to start but the sheer physicality of the Robins out fought them , headers, second balls 50/50 s
Hell of a scrap !!
Not pretty, route one , but effective, plus.... three well taken goals
Have you ever seen such a comitted team ?
Nesty
Question :- If WE HAD STARTED THE SEASON WITH THE CURRENT SQUAD AND CURRENT MANAGEMENT TEAM WHERE WOULD WE BE ??????????
Shade
Nesty wrote: 17 Feb 2024, 19:19 Question :- If WE HAD STARTED THE SEASON WITH THE CURRENT SQUAD AND CURRENT MANAGEMENT TEAM WHERE WOULD WE BE ??????????
Not even just the current squad. The squad before January weren't doing too bad and giving mid-table points. We've caught up and 11 game deficit.
PCrobin
Got to admire the guts of this team, behind twice but scored 3 cracking goals to win. Really enjoyed the game and was a great atmosphere with all the kids joining in! Who knew Shepherd had it in him to score a volley like that?!
Robin
Basildon Robin wrote: 17 Feb 2024, 17:34 As they say it’s the hope that kills! Dare we dream?
Long way to go still but we might just pull this off :D

That win has given me hope at the very least even the bookies are extending our odds as we are now 15/8 for the drop having started the day as evens.

Latest odds:
Carlsile 1/100
Fleetwood 1/25
Shrewsbury 11/8
Cheltenham 15/8
Port Vale 6/4
Chartlon 9/4
Burton 4/1
Exeter 6/1
Cambridge 8/1

Reading still not listed in the odds.
art vandalay
That‘s now an average of 1.63 points per game from 19 games. The target is 1.47 over 34 games. We‘ve got a record of won 9, drawn 4 , lost 6 over those 19. Unbelievable considering the abject football we were playing in the first twelve.
CTFCfan99
Form wise, we're playoff contenders since DC took over. Miraculous turnaround and just hope we can finish it off. 1.5 ppg until the end of the season would give us 54/55 which should be enough.
Broadway Brian
An utterly enthralling and enjoyable game of football. I watch premier league teams passing it about the back and fannying about and it bores me to tears. Today brought me boundless joy.

Thought they looked useful first 20. Loft didn’t lose a header and Chislett played phenomenally between the lines. We couldn’t handle him.

But, we worked it out on the pitch. And for the last 70 minutes were by far the better team.

I love seeing us be so competitive.

Shepherd worries me under the high / long ball but hopefully the goal gives him confidence. Ferry the same. When he plays well, boy do we play well.

We pressed like hunting lions at times today.

Lloydy clearly needs 6 chances to score but brings so much more. Taylor need 0.5 chances to score.

Loved today. Wigan kebab and 3 points on Friday.

UTMFR
Robin
CTFCfan99 wrote: 17 Feb 2024, 20:02 Form wise, we're playoff contenders since DC took over. Miraculous turnaround and just hope we can finish it off. 1.5 ppg until the end of the season would give us 54/55 which should be enough.
I stand to be correct but I highly doubt any side has been relegated ever with 55 points. You have to be very unlucky to go down with more than fifty points but I think Bristol Rovers went down with 52 points a while back.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Shade wrote: 17 Feb 2024, 19:02 Feel a bit sorry for Harrop. Barely had a look in so far but he's looked pretty handy when he's had a few minutes on the pitch.
Squad game. Still plenty of games left for his name to be immortalised in Cheltenham folklore.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
art vandalay wrote: 17 Feb 2024, 19:39 That‘s now an average of 1.63 points per game from 19 games. The target is 1.47 over 34 games. We‘ve got a record of won 9, drawn 4 , lost 6 over those 19. Unbelievable considering the abject football we were playing in the first twelve.
Great to be ahead of the run rate required like that.
1985CTFC
Squeeky bum time for some of those teams above us. Anyone from Exeter down could get dragged in to relegation places.
Thought PV had a bit of spirit first half but second half we just out fought and out ran them. Did look like Wycombe again first half.
Still need to keep the pedal to the metal starting again at Wigan.
PCrobin
I think there’s no doubt that we will. Great thing about DC is that he sends us out to try and win every game, rather than the cautious try not to lose tactics!
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
PCrobin wrote: 18 Feb 2024, 08:37 I think there’s no doubt that we will. Great thing about DC is that he sends us out to try and win every game, rather than the cautious try not to lose tactics!
Absolutely. I don’t know about you and other fans, but now I go into every game believing - almost expecting - to win the game. No reason we can’t go to Wigan and Oxford and wherever and get the three points.
HamTown
Goals are definitely worth a rewatch

https://youtu.be/DC-Ygjqov1U?si=4ghNZU6jTbYvnAlt
Lord Elpuz
HamTown wrote: 18 Feb 2024, 09:33 Goals are definitely worth a rewatch

All three goals were things of beauty. What’s really pleasing is we are not just relying on strikers to get the goals. We are no longer cautious about pushing everyone into the oppositions defence, which hugely increases the chance of the ball dropping to one of our players from a clearance. Even Southwood takes up an advanced position at set pieces in the opposition half, but he needs to be cautious when we play Charlton in a couple of weeks, because we don’t want that little turncoat May scoring a goal against us from his own half. Last thing I want to see is that relegation bound player celebrating against us again.
MacRobin
6 wins from 15 games will do it because I’m sure there will be a draw or two. 52 points will be enough.

Home form is the key and yesterday felt like a real show of belief from everyone; team, subs, management and supporters. That togetherness is what will give us a chance of an unbelievable achievement.

Not surprised by the team selection given the schedule we have and I expect a couple of changes on Friday night. 4 games in 13 days may be a stretch for Davies so if Bradbury is fit he may come back in for Wigan. Likewise I’d expect Bonds and Harrop to feature during the next two games. Pett is so critical to this side that a breather for him at some point will be important.

Ordinarily I’d take 2 points from the next two games but there’s a real opportunity to have a go at both of these in the form we’re in so who knows?!
Warwickshire Robin
Broadway Brian wrote: 17 Feb 2024, 20:15 An utterly enthralling and enjoyable game of football. I watch premier league teams passing it about the back and fannying about and it bores me to tears. Today brought me boundless joy.

Thought they looked useful first 20. Loft didn’t lose a header and Chislett played phenomenally between the lines. We couldn’t handle him.

But, we worked it out on the pitch. And for the last 70 minutes were by far the better team.

I love seeing us be so competitive.

Shepherd worries me under the high / long ball but hopefully the goal gives him confidence. Ferry the same. When he plays well, boy do we play well.

We pressed like hunting lions at times today.

Lloydy clearly needs 6 chances to score but brings so much more. Taylor need 0.5 chances to score.

Loved today. Wigan kebab and 3 points on Friday.

UTMFR
100% this, couldn't have put it better myself. Who would have thought after the first 3 months of the season that it would turn into this much fun! Long may it continue!
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
MacRobin wrote: 18 Feb 2024, 10:28 6 wins from 15 games will do it because I’m sure there will be a draw or two. 52 points will be enough.

Home form is the key and yesterday felt like a real show of belief from everyone; team, subs, management and supporters. That togetherness is what will give us a chance of an unbelievable achievement.

Not surprised by the team selection given the schedule we have and I expect a couple of changes on Friday night. 4 games in 13 days may be a stretch for Davies so if Bradbury is fit he may come back in for Wigan. Likewise I’d expect Bonds and Harrop to feature during the next two games. Pett is so critical to this side that a breather for him at some point will be important.

Ordinarily I’d take 2 points from the next two games but there’s a real opportunity to have a go at both of these in the form we’re in so who knows?!
It “will do” is not the type of complacent attitude we need. DC targeted 15 wins (plus draws) and we have to maintain a relentless focus on that target. As soon as we ease up thinking we can lower the target, it could be curtains.
Warwickshire Robin
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote: 18 Feb 2024, 10:45
MacRobin wrote: 18 Feb 2024, 10:28 6 wins from 15 games will do it because I’m sure there will be a draw or two. 52 points will be enough.

It “will do” is not the type of complacent attitude we need. DC targeted 15 wins (plus draws) and we have to maintain a relentless focus on that target. As soon as we ease up thinking we can lower the target, it could be curtains.
Will be interesting to see if we do get out of the relegation zone in the next couple of games how that effects the team. So far we have basically been playing with little pressure in terms of expectations other than those imposed on ourselves, but if we suddenly are playing to protect a position will things change?

I am sure DC will be preaching to everyone that it won't but will be fascinating to see if the players play loose or tighten up at all.
Ihearye
From the Port Vale forum
Cheltenham went behind twice but their fans never gave up on them FFS and kept on singing. They might be the smallest ground in the league but it was full to bursting and full of positivity. Our fans should take note of that.

It has been obvious that the positivity is building and building in the crowd. No more getting on players backs, Keena getting plenty of support and no more exodus as soon as we go a goal down. Is it possible the twitter generation have discovered supporting the team sometimes helps turns games around
ctfc-fan
Lord Elpuz wrote:
HamTown wrote: 18 Feb 2024, 09:33 Goals are definitely worth a rewatch

All three goals were things of beauty. What’s really pleasing is we are not just relying on strikers to get the goals. We are no longer cautious about pushing everyone into the oppositions defence, which hugely increases the chance of the ball dropping to one of our players from a clearance. Even Southwood takes up an advanced position at set pieces in the opposition half, but he needs to be cautious when we play Charlton in a couple of weeks, because we don’t want that little turncoat May scoring a goal against us from his own half. Last thing I want to see is that relegation bound player celebrating against us again.
The Charlton fans aren’t happy with May at all. Apparently he’s only good for poaching goals and now he’s been asked to play a bit deeper apparently he’s rubbish and their fans could even play better than him!

Maybe he’ll teach their fans a lesson and not score against us then come back on a free! Image
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Ihearye wrote: 18 Feb 2024, 11:23 From the Port Vale forum
Cheltenham went behind twice but their fans never gave up on them FFS and kept on singing. They might be the smallest ground in the league but it was full to bursting and full of positivity. Our fans should take note of that.

It has been obvious that the positivity is building and building in the crowd. No more getting on players backs, Keena getting plenty of support and no more exodus as soon as we go a goal down. Is it possible the twitter generation have discovered supporting the team sometimes helps turns games around
It’s chicken and egg. Or maybe egg and chicken if you prefer.

Those fans will say they now support because they know the players will keep trying and battling with positivity.
asl
Can anyone confirm that Whaddon Road actually is the smallest ground in League 1? Obviously, it isn't the smallest in the whole league - but is it in our division? Presumably in terms of capacity.
Robin
asl wrote: 18 Feb 2024, 12:39 Can anyone confirm that Whaddon Road actually is the smallest ground in League 1? Obviously, it isn't the smallest in the whole league - but is it in our division? Presumably in terms of capacity.
Must be ourselves or Stevenage both are around 7000 capacity. Build a new main stand and increase over capacity to around 8500 and I think we'll be fine at this level.