Wycombe Wanderers v Cheltenham Town

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

Broadway Brian
Jerry St Clair wrote: 28 Feb 2024, 09:22 Despite the improvement and positivity since DC came in, the reality is that we are definitely the cheapest and one of the poorest squads in the division. We are going to have games like this from time to time and there will be more before the season is out. Luckily, they are few and far between under DC - Wimbledon, Northampton and Wycombe x 2. Every other game we've competed in.

Lets not over-react.
100%. Looking forward to the reaction from the players on our small pitch on Saturday.

UTMFR
1985CTFC
HamTown wrote: 28 Feb 2024, 09:08
Broadway Brian wrote: 28 Feb 2024, 08:48
Garby74 wrote: 27 Feb 2024, 23:49 Really poor performances.
Shame really as quite a few of us made the trip and we're in good voice.

The ref was awful but that's is no the norm.

Luke was amazing and kept it respectable.

I worry slightly that DC hesitates slightly.
We could sense a goal for them andvthe subs were ready. We need to be proactive no reactive.

First high press was far to late in the game but got results. The 20 minute spell was unlucky not to yield a goal for us.

Enough of the hoff ball were better than that....and far to small up top!
It’s always interesting how we see the game differently.

My criticism of DC (if I were to have any) would be that he often makes changes too early. So hesitancy wouldn’t come into it for me - Wade was overtly cautious / hesitant I thought.

For example, I thought the changes v Derby away did for us, along with the ref.

Also, Luke Southwood was tremendous at shot stopping last night, culminating in the penalty save, but his lack of confidence / dominance on crosses is costing us goals. It’s a conundrum. He was glued to his line on that first goal.

Anyway, we can’t expect to dominate every game, so on to the next one.

We win games by winning the midfield battle and last night we didn’t.
Aswell as the wingbacks being pinned back
Think we had to keep Ben Williams back to counter Mc Cleary. Which I think worked. He was hardly in the game.
Holding out for so long and then giving them a corner is so annoying. We could see how dangerous they were from corners. It is not just us but how many teams crumble at game end when leading and under pressure. Need to learn to keep the ball away from our area somehow.
everyman
1985CTFC wrote: 27 Feb 2024, 22:38 Having caught up with the teams above us, we seemed to have adopted a hang on and nick it style of play. But maybe Wigan and Wycombe who we have played away from home are tough fixtures, so 2 points would have been good, 1 point better than nothing. Season will be defined by other games like Burton,Fleetwood, Carlisle and Charlton. etc. Last 6 games 10 points,
Beware the Ides of March ! Our future could be clearer after next month ?
Alf
Let’s be realistic. We’ve had a very good run recently but we’re not going to win every game or even pick up a point! I think last night’s game may well be a lesson for any players who think we’ve ‘arrived’
and just have to turn up to win games in League One. Couple that with referees who feel that they have to favour ‘big boy’ teams who are playing at home and just because their central defenders are a third taller than our forwards doesn’t entitle them to clatter them onto the floor and get away with it!
Anyway lads, let’s get back to our previous form and add a bit of bite to our performances. It’s not over yet!
Ihearye
We have become to expect better performances than we saw last night, I guess they are victims of their own success
Alf
Ihearye wrote: 28 Feb 2024, 10:38 We have become to expect better performances than we saw last night, I guess they are victims of their own success
Agreed!
QED
The other side of the good recent form is that teams that were underestimating us are now more likely to… estimate us. I’m sure some of the teams we’ve outfought recently thought they were rolling up to face the 1-goal-and-1-point-in-11-misfits of October, whereas from here on in we’re going to get taken more seriously by everyone, and they’re going to expect some intense and physical Clarkeball.
Broadway Brian
Hopefully they were all scouting us last night and the estimation reverts back to underestimation.
horlickfanclub
HamTown wrote: 27 Feb 2024, 21:43 DC should say he got it wrong today. The tactics for the first 60 minutes and then Smith for Shepherd (unless it was enforced)
I agree with that. Also he left our biggest forward on the bench while tinkering with the defence.
Robin
CTFCfan99 wrote: 27 Feb 2024, 20:25 If we're gonna play like this we may as well bring Nuttall on now, at keast the ball might stick up front a bit. Would probably bring on Kinsella and Harrop for Sercs and Bonds, try something different
I don't want to sound harsh but he's shown absolutely nothing what I have seen of him. Hopefully he comes good but it reminds me of us signing Guy Madjo years back from FGR in the conference. He simply couldn't manage the step up despite everyones efforts.
Robin
CTFCfan99 wrote: 27 Feb 2024, 21:28 Smith has looked really poor in his first few appearances
Thought he looked bright up at Derby but another who looks like he's struggling to adjust to the level. Felt to me like he was dropped by Clarke after making one too many mistakes so we might not see him again now for a while. I have the sense that the gaffer only really trusts Curtis Davies fully back there.
Robin
longmover wrote: 28 Feb 2024, 09:13 Evidently there was a scout from Liverpool at the game last night.

Jordan Thomas?
Joe Low more likely, Liverpool are not signing players from Cheltenham, especially those aged 22.
longmover
QED wrote: 28 Feb 2024, 13:00 The other side of the good recent form is that teams that were underestimating us are now more likely to… estimate us. I’m sure some of the teams we’ve outfought recently thought they were rolling up to face the 1-goal-and-1-point-in-11-misfits of October, whereas from here on in we’re going to get taken more seriously by everyone, and they’re going to expect some intense and physical Clarkeball.
I don't think Blackpool bothered even looking at us prior to their game at WR.
Garby74
Smith was woeful.
Chalk and cheese to shepherd.

Was strange not to bring Nuttall on.
Wycome were physical. But we should of high pressed the life out of them.
When we did they made mistskes
Artemis
Was one of those nights. We're not going to get points from every remaining game, in some we're going to struggle to look even a half-decent team. Six wins and a couple of draws is all we need now. Its going to be a bumpy ride.
HamTown
Artemis wrote: 28 Feb 2024, 17:17 Was one of those nights. We're not going to get points from every remaining game, in some we're going to struggle to look even a half-decent team. Six wins and a couple of draws is all we need now. Its going to be a bumpy ride.
My disappointment is more that we didn't seem to learn from the mistakes made against wycombe at home not that long ago
RS1978
RS1978 wrote: 27 Feb 2024, 21:32 Why on earth did I waste my money on this game?
Of course the outcome this year is still in our hands - but all I expect is a bit of effort and competitiveness so am a bit sad now...