The rest of the season

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

How do we want to see out the rest of the season?

Poll ended at 18 Mar 2024, 09:38

Do everything to stay in league one
89%
Plan properly for league 2 (considering the state of previous summers)
11%

Total votes: 9
longmover
how's everyone's state of mind after Saturday? :roll:
Si Robin
There's not much more we can do to stay in League 1. I don't see us signing a free-agent striker, I don't think we have the funds to.

It could all be back in our own hands after tomorrow night's games as well, so a bit early to be throwing in the towel.
paperboy
Si Robin wrote: ↑11 Mar 2024, 10:01 There's not much more we can do to stay in League 1. I don't see us signing a free-agent striker, I don't think we have the funds to.

It could all be back in our own hands after tomorrow night's games as well, so a bit early to be throwing in the towel.
Well if the club isn't allowing Darrell to look at free agents THEY are throwing in the towel because if we are relying on George Lloyd to stay fit and be our saviour.......πŸ˜€

This is crisis management time, an emergency, so I repeat yet again we have to try and get someone in so " we don't have any funds" won't wash.
Shade
paperboy wrote: ↑11 Mar 2024, 10:49
Si Robin wrote: ↑11 Mar 2024, 10:01 There's not much more we can do to stay in League 1. I don't see us signing a free-agent striker, I don't think we have the funds to.

Well if the club isn't allowing Darrell to look at free agents THEY are throwing in the towel because if we are relying on George Lloyd to stay fit and be our saviour.......πŸ˜€

This is crisis management time, an emergency, so I repeat yet again we have to try and get someone in so " we don't have any funds" won't wash.
Yes it will.
paperboy
Shade wrote: ↑11 Mar 2024, 10:57

Yes it will.
Oh no it won't! πŸ˜€
Si Robin

I believe it should.

I'd rather watch a solvent Cheltenham in League 2 next season than be like Reading and wondering if we have a club just so we can struggle in the 3rd tier again
Warwickshire Robin
Si Robin wrote: ↑11 Mar 2024, 11:36

I believe it should.

I'd rather watch a solvent Cheltenham in League 2 next season than be like Reading and wondering if we have a club just so we can struggle in the 3rd tier again
To my simple mind it comes down to two things.

Firstly, the financial aspect. There are 7 weeks until the end of the season, if we go all in and pay a free agent say Β£3k a week that is Β£21,000. Can we afford to do this? Can we afford not to do this?

Then it comes down to how ready to play any free agent is now. If they are going to take a couple of weeks or more to get anywhere near contributing then it will pretty much be a waste of time and money, so unless they have only just been released from a club and are ready to go then I just cannot see it happening.
paperboy
Sorry Si ,but I respectfully question what you say.
Finding 21k shouldn't be beyond a National League club let alone a L1 club, so to say we might become insolvent is scaremongering.
Whether there's an oven ready option out there who knows, but for heavens sake we need to try.

If we max out the credit card so be it.
If it doesn't work out do remember that in L2 next season I think we will receive a million pounds in solidarity ( parachute payments) from the EFL and Prem League apparently.
Si Robin
I'm not saying we shouldn't try - I'm saying I don't see it happening.

I'd also question how a player is without a club this far into the season (save for anyone let go in January). And who wants to come? We couldn't even get Joe Dodoo to sign on for the rest of the season.
Swiss-Robin
paperboy wrote: ↑11 Mar 2024, 12:25 Sorry Si ,but I respectfully question what you say.
Finding 21k shouldn't be beyond a National League club let alone a L1 club, so to say we might become insolvent is scaremongering.
Whether there's an oven ready option out there who knows, but for heavens sake we need to try.

If it doesn't work out do remember that in L2 next season I think we will receive a million pounds in solidarity ( parachute payments) from the EFL and Prem League apparently.
I totally agree with you. All he ever does is moan and spread his negative and miserablist options. Listening to the tone of his voice on the podcast, I wonder if he is every actually positive or happy? I sincerely hope our players don't read or listen to his views.
Si Robin
Come and have a chat with me the next game you come to - see how negative I am then

Oh I forgot - you don't ever come to games because you can't afford to live in the UK or something.

Given I'm just about the only person I know who hasn't given up on staying up this season, I'd love to know how I'm apparently negative for having a realistic view on signings.
Nham68
The unicorn that is the mythical free agent striker with great goal scoring record who’s hanging around waiting for that phone call ….
Nham68

I believe it should.

Exactly this . Long term sustainability is the no.1 objective .
1985CTFC
Si Robin wrote: ↑11 Mar 2024, 13:07 Come and have a chat with me the next game you come to - see how negative I am then

Oh I forgot - you don't ever come to games because you can't afford to live in the UK or something.

Given I'm just about the only person I know who hasn't given up on staying up this season, I'd love to know how I'm apparently negative for having a realistic view on signings.
You are not just about the only one to have not given up on staying up this season. You can't speak for everyone else. More importantly DC and the players have not given up. I know there are a few miserable doomsters on here but we all aren't as negative.
I still think we can do it.
Another point with regard to money, is ,as was mentioned a while ago by myself the difference in money by being in lg1 and lg2 next year is to us enormous. Think I saw over 1million plus.
Probably to late to get someone in now but a relatively small amount as a gamble would not cripple the club.
I didn't think we played at all badly on Saturday except for last few min of first half and after we scored. Shouldn't be all doom and gloom yet.
Si Robin
To clarify - I said I'm the only person I know - I don't know you or pretty much anyone else on here personally.

As I said in my first post on this thread - if Burton lose tomorrow safety is in our own hands again. If we beat Barnsley on Saturday, these last 4 games will be all but forgotten.
paperboy
I'm genuinely perplexed how advocating we splash out 20k is going to affect the sustainability of the club.

How anyone can think a L1 club will soldier on with a strike force so short on numbers ( and quality).
Remember we had NO strikers on the bench on Saturday.
Si Robin
Pray tell what quality is out there on a free?

I've done a quick search and found Gary Madine (who last played a year ago today) and Kieron Agard (released by Doncaster last May having scored 3 goals in League 2 - his last in October 2022).
HamTown
paperboy wrote: ↑11 Mar 2024, 13:38 I'm genuinely perplexed how advocating we splash out 20k is going to affect the sustainability of the club.

How anyone can think a L1 club will soldier on with a strike force so short on numbers ( and quality).
So you want a quality striker on a free transfer in March for 20k who will be up to match fitness within a week or 2? Have a look on https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/ for free agents and send your top targets to RM and the board.

As for the sustainability of the club, I don't know, but the moneys got to come from somewhere and if we've just posted big losses for the last seasons financials theres probably not a huge appetite for any more spending.

All this goes to show how much of a loss Rob Street is.
Ihearye

May be completely wrong (unknown before), but ... it is hard to believe that a striker of possible L1 status who is still a free agent on 11th of March, is in much of a bargaining position when it comes to remuneration discussion ? By all means add on a 'staying up payment'. With only a few weeks of the season left one would think anyone not picked up by now, would be keen to get game time and the opportunity to be in the shop window, while at the same time picking up a few bob
asl
Feck me...there are people on here who would try to start an argument in an empty room...
longmover
Si Robin wrote: ↑11 Mar 2024, 13:45 Pray tell what quality is out there on a free?

I've done a quick search and found Gary Madine (who last played a year ago today) and Kieron Agard (released by Doncaster last May having scored 3 goals in League 2 - his last in October 2022).
Joe Nuttall is at CTFC.
Jerry St Clair
paperboy wrote: ↑11 Mar 2024, 13:38 I'm genuinely perplexed how advocating we splash out 20k is going to affect the sustainability of the club.

It’s the certainty with which the statement is made. It’s like someone has identified a proven goalscorer who is willing to come to Cheltenham for Β£20k until the end of the season and the Board have declined.

The principle that the club should not spend money it doesn’t have on a desperate, and probably fruitless, attempt to stay up is one I wholeheartedly agree with.
1985CTFC
Si Robin wrote: ↑11 Mar 2024, 13:30 To clarify - I said I'm the only person I know - I don't know you or pretty much anyone else on here personally.

As I said in my first post on this thread - if Burton lose tomorrow safety is in our own hands again. If we beat Barnsley on Saturday, these last 4 games will be all but forgotten.
So not saying much then. Anyway I am with you with regard to all is not lost. Teams around have tough games as well.
We just need that win from somewhere and get a little run going.
Looks like 6 clubs including ourselves fighting off the last relegation place. Might be clearer after Tuesday as to who has the fight left. Noticed Cambridge have one of their key players out for the season. Anything can happen.
1985CTFC
paperboy wrote: ↑11 Mar 2024, 12:25 Sorry Si ,but I respectfully question what you say.

An extra million plus on top of that if we stay in Lg 1!
Ihearye
Si Robin wrote: ↑11 Mar 2024, 13:07 Come and have a chat with me the next game you come to - see how negative I am then

now now children, play nicely
Ihearye
asl wrote: ↑11 Mar 2024, 13:53 Feck me...there are people on here who would try to start an argument in an empty room...
A very kind offer, but would you mind awfully if I declined ? :)
Broadway Brian
Swiss-Robin wrote: ↑11 Mar 2024, 13:06

I totally agree with you. All he ever does is moan and spread his negative and miserablist options. Listening to the tone of his voice on the podcast, I wonder if he is every actually positive or happy? I sincerely hope our players don't read or listen to his views.
You’re embarrassing mate.
paperboy
Jerry St Clair wrote: ↑11 Mar 2024, 14:03

It’s the certainty with which the statement is made. It’s like someone has identified a proven goalscorer who is willing to come to Cheltenham for Β£20k until the end of the season and the Board have declined.

The principle that the club should not spend money it doesn’t have on a desperate, and probably fruitless, attempt to stay up is one I wholeheartedly agree with.
Please take the trouble to read previous posts in the thread JSC, where I've said we should at least be looking.
Yes it is desperate and possibly fruitless, but better than sticking ones head in the sand in my oh so humble opinion.πŸ˜€
Shade
Warwickshire Robin wrote: ↑11 Mar 2024, 12:07
Firstly, the financial aspect. There are 7 weeks until the end of the season, if we go all in and pay a free agent say Β£3k a week that is Β£21,000. Can we afford to do this? Can we afford not to do this?

Plus that's assuming we haven't already spent extra on the budget. So it would be another Β£21k on top of what might have already been overspent.
Ihearye
Nham68 wrote: ↑11 Mar 2024, 13:16

I believe it should.

Exactly this . Long term sustainability is the no.1 objective .
Jaysus, I know the debate / argument is meaningless. But are we really saying that Β£20k would make us insolvent? If there was anyone available that was ready to go and IF Β£20k was the figure being asked for, crowdfund or put an extra Β£1 on the gate for a few weeks.
Jim
This is the mootiest of moot arguments because there is no magical number 9 available on free for us to get even if we could afford it. People are talking like signing this non-existent player guarantees survival, which it really wouldn't.

The fact we ended up taking a punt on Nuttall shows you the position we're in.

I haven't given up hope, especially because our run in to the end of the season is pretty favourable. We're in a slump at the moment, but that can easily change in 10 games.
Shade
I think it's just the nature of the performances in the last three weeks that's really got every on a downer. We played better overall on Saturday, but three of the last four games we have lost to late goals, and we very nearly lost to a late goal in the other game of the four as well if it wasn't for Bradbury's sprint and slide.

Everyone saying about the goalscoring...we need to stop letting in late bloody goals!!!
Jim
Shade wrote: ↑11 Mar 2024, 16:01 I think it's just the nature of the performances in the last three weeks that's really got every on a downer. We played better overall on Saturday, but three of the last four games we have lost to late goals, and we very nearly lost to a late goal in the other game of the four as well if it wasn't for Bradbury's sprint and slide.

Everyone saying about the goalscoring...we need to stop letting in late bloody goals!!!
Totally agree with this - the performance levels are the biggest concern. We somehow need to tighten up the defence without losing the front-foot approach which got us so close to escaping the relegation zone. I hope not having a game this week gives us time to rest and plot a return to form.
bigdavejambo
1985CTFC wrote: ↑11 Mar 2024, 14:07

An extra million plus on top of that if we stay in Lg 1!

plus a new TV deal next season too
Robin
What does plan properly for league two even mean? Are we talking about the on field side of the club or commercial revenue (or lack of)...