England Shirt - Coloured Cross

Talk about other football teams at all levels. AND ANY Glos City related threads, even if talking about the groundsharing.

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

Red Duke
I have been totally bemused by the uproar caused by colouring of a cross on the collar of the shirt.

It appears to me that most who are making the most fuss are those that would never buy an England shirt.

I would say that it has really been a marketing coup by Nike as seemingly the shirts are sold out.

Mind you we are not alone in this country, there is uproar in Germany that Adidas have lost the contract to supply the national shirts to Nike.

People are really getting their knickers in a twist over trivial things. It is being done to deflect away from what is really happening in the world.
Ihearye
Red Duke wrote: 22 Mar 2024, 18:30 I have been totally bemused by the uproar caused by colouring of a cross on the collar of the shirt.

It appears to me that most who are making the most fuss are those that would never buy an England shirt.

I would say that it has really been a marketing coup by Nike as seemingly the shirts are sold out.

Mind you we are not alone in this country, there is uproar in Germany that Adidas have lost the contract to supply the national shirts to Nike.

People are really getting their knickers in a twist over trivial things. It is being done to deflect away from what is really happening in the world.
England store don't seem to know they are sold out as my nephew just purchased one
Red Duke
Ihearye wrote: 22 Mar 2024, 19:46
Red Duke wrote: 22 Mar 2024, 18:30 I have been totally bemused by the uproar caused by colouring of a cross on the collar of the shirt.

England store don't seem to know they are sold out as my nephew just purchased one
It was just a report on Twatter, but accuracy on there is something to be desired. The real issue for me is the price. The profit being made on the shirt is extremely high, but that seems to be forgotten in all the fuss. The only thing the FA is interested is how much Nike are paying them, they could care at all for those who buying the shirt. They are taking advantage of your nephew.
Shade
I'm not that bothered, I'm not losing sleep over it or shouting in the social media street, but I am bemused as to why Nike think it is ok to mess about with the St George's Cross when you know they wouldn't dare make any changes to the stars and stripes. It just seems dumb and a bit of a lack of respect, especially after the Earps thing last year.

Anyone buying the shirt or kit at those prices has more money than sense and deserves to be ripped off.
Red Duke
The FA are solely to blame for signing off the design. Nike would have put it forward as a suggestion but it is up to the customer, i.e. the FA who has to approve it. They should be hauled over the coals on the pricing. They should have insisted that the pricing was similar to other football shirts, but no doubt, they only saw the pound signs on the Nike deal.
longmover
Are there any stats out on the sales of retro (non official) England shirts over the official product? Can't imagine many people are going to go down the official route at those prices or are they trying to target the affluent "occasional" England fan for this years Euro's?
asl
There was a FB post over the weekend from an ex-squaddie who posted pictures of his Union Flag fatigue patches that were in shades of green, saying he happily wore those for six years and people objecting to the football shirts need to get a life.
ctfc-fan
asl wrote:There was a FB post over the weekend from an ex-squaddie who posted pictures of his Union Flag fatigue patches that were in shades of green, saying he happily wore those for six years and people objecting to the football shirts need to get a life.
But it was agreed they were green because they were on camo gear, not a football shirt. And it was still the flag.