Birmingham or Bromley. Sheffield or Solihull.

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Just looking at who’s in relegation contention from the Championship, and it looks likely one of Birmingham City or Sheffield Wednesday will drop to L1.

Looking at the National League, Bromley and Solihull Moors are currently two of the teams in the playoff positions to get up to L2.

Shows the difference survival will make in terms of the type of games we have to look forward to.
Robin
Solihull would be a decent away day next year, at least we won't have to go up the hill at Nailsworth.
Jerry St Clair
Don't discount Millwall or Plymouth either (have the former ever been to Whaddon Road?). The difference between L1 and L2 is really stark.

Gateshead brought 14 fans down in our National League season. I remember counting them. Of the National League promotion contenders, only Chesterfield and Aldershot would bring anything like a decent number of fans.
bigdavejambo
Jerry St Clair wrote: 02 Apr 2024, 21:01 Don't discount Millwall or Plymouth either (have the former ever been to Whaddon Road?). The difference between L1 and L2 is really stark.

Gateshead brought 14 fans down in our National League season. I remember counting them. Of the National League promotion contenders, only Chesterfield and Aldershot would bring anything like a decent number of fans.
2006/7, 2007/8
longmover
would love to see plymouth back in league one, their jumped up fanbase well and truly back in their box. They're lower league and deep down they know it.
Shade
bigdavejambo wrote: 02 Apr 2024, 21:20
Jerry St Clair wrote: 02 Apr 2024, 21:01 Don't discount Millwall or Plymouth either (have the former ever been to Whaddon Road?). The difference between L1 and L2 is really stark.

2006/7, 2007/8
And wasn't that a joy. I remember the wall of noise that they produce, and then the reports of fights and people getting beaten up away from the ground.
longmover
Shade wrote: 03 Apr 2024, 11:04
bigdavejambo wrote: 02 Apr 2024, 21:20

2006/7, 2007/8
And wasn't that a joy. I remember the wall of noise that they produce, and then the reports of fights and people getting beaten up away from the ground.
don't think I imagined this but there was an incident of them trying to punch through car windows to attack people.
plymrob

"would love to see plymouth back in league one, their jumped up fanbase well and truly back in their box. They're lower league and deep down they know it."

Sorry... 26 years in Plymouth and it's been annoying - but they are definately not "jumped-up". I think, outside of Bristol, they have the best suuport and most sensible people would want them to be - in the same league as us! Painful to have to respond, but just look at the football map and supporter bases... and maybe even the travelling support numbers.

Do please say it quitely though, but two of us here would be very happy for Derby to go up, and MOST IMPORTANT Cheltenham to stay up (and then what you and I wish for).
Nesty
Sheffield Wendsday or Abergaveny Thursday
Jerry St Clair
longmover wrote: 03 Apr 2024, 08:28 would love to see plymouth back in league one, their jumped up fanbase well and truly back in their box. They're lower league and deep down they know it.
Anecdotal, but Plymouth always have plenty dotted around the CF when they visit and, in my experience, they are generally respectful and modest. Every single away game they have is lengthy, yet they travel in big numbers. I like them. In fact, I like all of the Devon clubs.
Shade
Jerry St Clair wrote: 05 Apr 2024, 09:41
longmover wrote: 03 Apr 2024, 08:28 would love to see plymouth back in league one, their jumped up fanbase well and truly back in their box. They're lower league and deep down they know it.
Anecdotal, but Plymouth always have plenty dotted around the CF when they visit and, in my experience, they are generally respectful and modest. Every single away game they have is lengthy, yet they travel in big numbers. I like them. In fact, I like all of the Devon clubs.
Had one and his young adult (probably) daughter sat next to me (on my birthday, of all times) several years ago, and ended up getting into an argument with him when he threatened to punch the kid sat on the other side of them if he didn't basically stop shouting support for the home side. Basically went along the lines of:
Him: "I'm gonna punch him in a minute if he doesn't shut the f up"
Me: "Don't threaten to punch a kid, you shouldn't even be here. F off if you don't like it"
Him: "I've paid for this f ticket, I'm putting money into your f club, I'll say what I f want"
Me: "We've had your money, now f off"
Followed by further grumbling.
We then scored a late equaliser a few minutes later, and then they scored a winner even later.

I didn't like them before. Disliked them even more since then.
Jerry St Clair
That is abysmal. I guess all I can say is I've experienced the opposite, but I understand why that would set you against them.