Peterborough - home tickets

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

Jerry St Clair
Just looking at the ticket site for this game and blocks 7/8 of the CF are not available to buy for home fans. Presumably being held back for Peterborough fans, who will likely be looking to finalise their place in the play-offs and will possibly sell their allocation for the Hazlewoods. Clearly, this could be an absolute crunch game for us.

Tickets for home fans in the CF are already looking fairly sparse with over three weeks to go. Surely this, of all games, requires the club to make a call now and reserve the entire CF for home fans? Peterborough would still get 1000 tickets which would be more than required by EFL regulations.
Fuller
This is situation that needs to be discussed with the Robins Trust who represent us fans. I see they are welcoming a chat with fans who have questions and they will be in the car park from 2pm today.
CTFCfan99
Agreed. Shouldn't be giving any of the CF to away fans any more, we've proven we can sell out seats to home fans especially in the bigger games so absolutely no reason not to.
CS85
I'd Imagine Lincoln will be selling out our away end also due to their recent charge into the playoffs.
Ihearye
Nothing quite like being relegated in front of a full house of away fans
Clowns
Leckyfan
Ihearye wrote: 01 Apr 2024, 10:41 Nothing quite like being relegated in front of a full house of away fans
Clowns
Easy to say. But more complex than this.

I hope (and expect) the FED will have been making representations at board meetings on the perennial CF block 7/8 issue. In terms of “atmosphere” and “getting behind the team” there is a strong argument for maximising number of available seats for home fans at the “big” games. But (football being what it is) it’s hard to predict demand, especially in the final few weeks of a season like this one.

Genuine question - what is the latest date (days before game) we can make “additional seats” available to away fans? Subject to all the inevitable related issues (fixing number of stewards, police etc.) it would be great if we could delay block 7/8 decisions until the “importance” of the fixture to home fans (and thus ticket demand) becomes clear.
Ihearye
It is not complex of you don't make it complex. We NEED to win out remaining home games, we NEED to make the ground as intimidating as possible.
It is not a case of either give away both blocks or we lose all that revenue. We will sell some.
Leckyfan
Peterborough is the final home game. We have 6 other games before that (including today).

By the time we play Peterborough, we might be certain of staying up 😀, or certain of being relegated 🙁. In either case, we would almost certainly NOT sell out the whole CF stand.

It’s frustrating we have so many ‘supporters’ who only turn out for games against ‘big’ teams, or when something important is riding on the result (“Where were you lot last week??!!) but that’s the reality of lower league football.

The board (including the FED) need to keep the club solvent. Difficult decisions like block 7/8 are part of that.
Shade
After today, even if they're empty, DO NOT give them to away fans!
robinsrule
Also, what if we give Peterborough and/or Lincoln blocks 7 and 8 and they only sell 100 or so of the 500? Then it would be a really bad decision. Or do these clubs have to buy all 500 tickets off us meaning they are the ones making a loss if they don’t all sell?
Jerry St Clair
Leckyfan wrote: 01 Apr 2024, 11:19
Genuine question - what is the latest date (days before game) we can make “additional seats” available to away fans? Subject to all the inevitable related issues (fixing number of stewards, police etc.) it would be great if we could delay block 7/8 decisions until the “importance” of the fixture to home fans (and thus ticket demand) becomes clear.
This is a fair shout. I suspect we can make more tickets available whenever we like. If the game looks increasingly likely to be pivotal and demand for tickets is high in the CF then we can open up 7, then 8 to CTFC fans safe in the knowledge we’ll flog them all.

In fact, maybe this is what the ticket office are doing.
PCrobin
Shade wrote: 01 Apr 2024, 17:45 After today, even if they're empty, DO NOT give them to away fans!
Yep I’m sick of twats like Exeter running on our pitch and chucking fireworks. Stewards and police need to toughen up a bit.
Ihearye
PCrobin wrote: 01 Apr 2024, 18:29
Shade wrote: 01 Apr 2024, 17:45 After today, even if they're empty, DO NOT give them to away fans!
Yep I’m sick of twats like Exeter running on our pitch and chucking fireworks. Stewards and police need to toughen up a bit.
Who would have thought! But we got an extra £15.68p
asl
There were a lot of empty seats near the Canteen side of the away end. Also a lot of empty seats in our side of the CF - which is curious.
ctfc-fan
asl wrote:There were a lot of empty seats near the Canteen side of the away end. Also a lot of empty seats in our side of the CF - which is curious.
I think ST holders missing as when I looked it showed basically full.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
ctfc-fan wrote: 01 Apr 2024, 20:33
asl wrote:There were a lot of empty seats near the Canteen side of the away end. Also a lot of empty seats in our side of the CF - which is curious.
Also I wonder if some migrate down to B1 to join the 1887.
Leckyfan
Yes, undoubtedly absent ST holders.

Plus, the club tweeted at 1100 this morning that all seats were SOLD OUT, but standing tickets still available.

After events today, I do wonder if there might be a safety reason for not allowing away fans to have blocks 7 and 8? It is just too tempting for them to do pitch incursions from there. Unlike the Hazelwoods Stand, there is no barrier from the CF stand to discourage going onto the pitch. (Something to do with sightlines - was discussed in one of the recent Trust podcasts).

Arguably, there’s less risk of home fans doing a pitch incursion from the CF stand (except occasionally from block 1, also described in the podcast).

Wouldn’t stop the morons chucking flares, of course. Would be nice to hear soon that the culprits have been identified from CCTV, and given a long ban by Exeter City (or even prosecuted).
Ihearye
ctfc-fan wrote: 01 Apr 2024, 20:33
Yep I was one of those who were in foreign lands.
robinsrule
Any reason why Cheltenham can’t/won’t install a resale system for season ticket holders who can’t attend? There are certain teams who never have an empty seat (Spurs/Everton/Newcastle/Liverpool/Chelsea) because they all get resold. In League One the only team I can think of who consistently sell out are Pompey but watch their game tonight and I’ll bet that despite Easter hols you won’t see an empty seat.

On the other side of the coin there are attendances which are laughably exaggerated (Bolton/Charlton/Bradford/Sunderland/MK Dons!!!) and I can only presume is because of season ticket holders who rarely attend.

The Colin Farmer stand is always at least 10% empty even when they announce a sell out which I always find strange, especially outside holidays. The only other explanation is that that good people of Cheltenham are so wealthy that they just buy tickets and then don’t bother attending :lol:
bigdavejambo
Bloxham only cares about money so if away fans are willing to buy 1400 tickets then its cash in the bank, after all there wont be too many big away followings next season apart from Swindon and maybe Bradford
longmover
As mentioned (many times) before, yesterday was more evidence that large away followings only mean one thing (on the pitch).
Si Robin
robinsrule wrote: 02 Apr 2024, 06:43 The only other explanation is that that good people of Cheltenham are so wealthy that they just buy tickets and then don’t bother attending :lol:
We're far from wealthy but we always have one spare ticket and sometimes, including yesterday, two.
robinsrule
If the club wants to stay up shouldn’t they be doing everything they can to help the team on the pitch? If that means a bigger balance of home to away fans which could tip marginal decisions in our favour then surely it’s worth a gamble because the potential loss of a bit of income from a few unsold tickets now would be far outweighed by the loss of income from being relegated.
Robins Trust Chair
Regarding the tickets for the Peterborough game - I asked the ticket office manager about this yesterday.

It's not that they have been sold to Peterborough, it's that no decision has yet been made about putting them on sale to either side.

A decision will be made nearer the time as to what to do. Nothing decided yet.
Leckyfan
Thanks James, good to know. Facts always better than speculation - even here on the forum!
Ihearye
Robins Trust Chair wrote: 02 Apr 2024, 08:50 Regarding the tickets for the Peterborough game - I asked the ticket office manager about this yesterday.

It's not that they have been sold to Peterborough, it's that no decision has yet been made about putting them on sale to either side.

Are they having a laugh????? What about the we are all in this together ? I see they must also be making their minds up about the Bristol Rovers game.
There should be no decision to be made, what part of we are fighting relegation do they not understand??
Can they not forgo their 30 pieces of silver for two fecken matches?????????? Or would they rahter have the silver and see us relegated in front of a big away following?
What is the decision that has to be made ????????
Jerry St Clair
Robins Trust Chair wrote: 02 Apr 2024, 08:50 Regarding the tickets for the Peterborough game - I asked the ticket office manager about this yesterday.

Thanks James. That seems a very sensible approach.
Jerry St Clair
Lincoln have sold 1400 tickets for their trip to Reading on Saturday. Looks like we’ll certainly have a decision to make there too for their visit on 20th April.
Ihearye
Jerry St Clair wrote: 04 Apr 2024, 15:20

Thanks James. That seems a very sensible approach.
What is the sensible bit? That they are waiting to see if they sell out their allocation before giving them the rest?
Jerry St Clair
The ticket office are waiting to see what the situation is. The game could be critical for both of us, one of us, or neither of us. And that will massively impact demand for tickets from either side.

Say we’re already relegated or safe by then. But Peterborough have a chance of autos. It’d be mad to deny them the CF if we’re not going to fill it annd they could sell another 500. An unlikely scenario, admittedly, but I don’t blame the TO for waiting.
Ihearye
Jerry St Clair wrote: 04 Apr 2024, 18:02 The ticket office are waiting to see what the situation is. The game could be critical for both of us, one of us, or neither of us. And that will massively impact demand for tickets from either side.

Say we’re already relegated or safe by then. But Peterborough have a chance of autos. It’d be mad to deny them the CF if we’re not going to fill it annd they could sell another 500. An unlikely scenario, admittedly, but I don’t blame the TO for waiting.
If we were down I for one would still go, however if the scenario was a full house of away support giving us grief, I wouldn't be there. What is the argument around holding back on Bristol Rovers? In case we are already relegated by then and they have a chance of mid table and thus a big game for them?
Jerry St Clair
There are still four games left after Bristol Rovers. It’s not a crunch game in the sense that anything will be decided. Peterborough very well could be.

I’ve advocated before on here for always keeping the CF for home fans wherever possible. If we were confident of selling out seats to home fans for BR then I agree we should only give them the Hazlewoods. With around 100 or so seats currently still available in the CF in blocks 1-6 for Rovers, it’s debatable whether we would sell another 500 in 7 and 8. So, i understand the clubs reluctance to turn away paying customers in the form of Gasheads.
Ihearye
Jerry St Clair wrote: 04 Apr 2024, 18:36 There are still four games left after Bristol Rovers. It’s not a crunch game in the sense that anything will be decided. Peterborough very well could be.

I’ve advocated before on here for always keeping the CF for home fans wherever possible. If we were confident of selling out seats to home fans for BR then I agree we should only give them the Hazlewoods. With around 100 or so seats currently still available in the CF in blocks 1-6 for Rovers, it’s debatable whether we would sell another 500 in 7 and 8. So, i understand the clubs reluctance to turn away paying customers in the form of Gasheads.
Yep the lure of 30 pieces of silver while at the same time expecting supporters to get behind the team at £20+ a pop
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Jerry St Clair wrote: 04 Apr 2024, 18:36 There are still four games left after Bristol Rovers. It’s not a crunch game in the sense that anything will be decided. Peterborough very well could be.

Depends if you value short term or long term more.

Sure, giving two blocks and half the facilities to Gas and Posh might maximise gross ticket sales for those games (before costs of any extra security/police or repairing any damage etc).

But if a family with kids who were turned away or found the facilities too crowded never bother coming back then that’s potential fans for life lost. Some season ticket holders may also choose not to renew due to the issue.

The long term implications of discouraging fans, in my view, outweigh any short term ticket sales.
Jerry St Clair
Again, I tend to agree RCS.

The counter argument is that fostering new support is abstract and difficult to quantify. Hard cash from tickets sales isn't. Just trying to empathise with the club's position. You can imagine the conversation:

Board: "Why have we got 500 empty seats in the Colin Farmer?"
Ticket office: "We thought we'd keep them back for home fans, to improve the atmosphere and encourage a new generation of fans. But not as many showed up as we hoped".
Board: "We could have sold them to Bristol/Lincoln/Peterborough fans and made an extra £30000. Why didn't we do that?"
TO: "Er........"