An Idea to raise money

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

1985CTFC
Last year I watched CTFC play at Exeter and prior to going through the turnstiles in their main stand I noticed the brick wall was covered with names presumably of fans of Exeter. Whether it was used to finance the building of the wall, ie pay for a brick I don't know..
With time on my hands it started me thinking.
Now this idea maybe already have been thought about, and not seen as a goer, or is impractical and plain stupid or good idea but who is going to do it?
Anyway the idea based loosely on what I saw at Exeter is, why not have a scheme whereby Fans, Businesses, or anyone wanting to create a little remembrance or a show of support for CTFC. By paying for a small brass plaque with ones name and a simple message engraved on it and placed somewhere in the ground ie inside CF stand along the inside wall.
£30 (for example) buys you the brass plaque engraved and fixed to a wall for everyone to see. I personally would like to see my name there and hopefully for a long time after I am not here (as a ghost) A sort of mini memorial for those who would like to keep a little bit of themselves connected to the club, as well as helping out the club financially.

Could be extended by offering larger plaques at a higher price example £100 buys you the larger plaque with a message, maybe to remember a family member who is no longer here and was a supporter.
Also a display with ex players who fans feel were their favorite and so would sponsor the plaque.
Perhaps go to an auction for many of the fans favorites, a bit like a shirt sponsor but a permanent reminder of the player with you as the sponsor, for want for a better word.
Do the same for ex managers maybe. Paul Buckle for 50p!!!! Someone might reckon Mark Yates is worth £80 along side their name and a small comment along side.

An issue would be where the plaques would go. Inside CF stand concourse would be possible I would think. Not to sure how many you could get on the wall, but quite a few.
Shame we don't have a big new brand new stand where they could be displayed.
Maybe outside ? A wall of fame!!

Lets just say and I am being ambitious here, say we have 10,000 plaques, seems a lot, but an average profit of £20 a plaque = £200.000. (4/5th of an Alfie)

I would buy 2 plaques. Would love to enter the CF concourse and go over and give my plaque a little polishing rub for luck.

Anyway a seed of an idea. Needs more thought and pros and cons but would be a unique way to
have some permanent connection with the club and earn the club some money.

Whether the plaques are done in house with a laser engraver, either by the club or fans group or contract out to a local engraving company.

The sponsor a plaque for a player could be profitable if it went to an auction. Say an auction for a Jamie Victory plaque and 2 or 3 people who Jamie was their favourite player and start a bidding war, it might get to a nice sum, who knows. Nothing to stop ex players buying a plaque as well. Must be 100's of players over the years.

Anyway that's my basic idea, just needs fleshing out, costed and and checked out as doable or not. Or shot down in flames with problems all over the place. Whether it is worth the effort for whatever money we raise you tell me?

Example of plaque

Unique Number
Your name
maybe forum nickname below 1985CTFC

followed by message eg, Cheltenham til I die etc etc

Players plaque example

Liam Sercombe

Sponsored John Smith

Best midfield player for Cheltenham Town FC

I am sure comments could be better but you get my drift.
Jerry St Clair
There’s a Wall of Fame board at the back of block 2 of the Colin Farmer that’s a similar kind of thing. It’s related to the crowdfunder for the scoreboard. https://x.com/robinstrust/status/853930 ... UirLX0WjYQ
1985CTFC
Jerry St Clair wrote: 04 Apr 2024, 17:34 There’s a Wall of Fame board at the back of block 2 of the Colin Farmer that’s a similar kind of thing. It’s related to the crowdfunder for the scoreboard. https://x.com/robinstrust/status/853930 ... UirLX0WjYQ
I know I sit near it. But that's not quite the same as I am suggesting. Similar principle but with a view to raising more money and for anyone now to have their name or whatever associated with the club.
A permanent record of association. Bit like a plaque on a park bench to be a permanent reminder. Sure there could be spin offs from it.
Anyway that my idea. Book me in for 2 plaques
Jerry St Clair
Yeah, I think it's a good idea. The Wall of Fame was a different thing, I just mentioned it as thing we've already done, albeit nearly a decade ago. A "brick in the wall" is a common feature at many clubs. Often as a memorial, but not exclusively. They are normally associated with the building of a new stand.......
Fuller
Jerry St Clair wrote: 05 Apr 2024, 09:27 Yeah, I think it's a good idea. The Wall of Fame was a different thing, I just mentioned it as thing we've already done, albeit nearly a decade ago. A "brick in the wall" is a common feature at many clubs. Often as a memorial, but not exclusively. They are normally associated with the building of a new stand.......
New stand? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Ihearye
Jerry St Clair wrote: 04 Apr 2024, 17:34 There’s a Wall of Fame board at the back of block 2 of the Colin Farmer that’s a similar kind of thing. It’s related to the crowdfunder for the scoreboard. https://x.com/robinstrust/status/853930 ... UirLX0WjYQ
Was the same idea not put forward for all ST folk who donated their money during the covid season? I know we got our names on a short but was a plaque also mooted
DWx3
10,000 plaques at £20 profit? I'll tell you where I am... I'm out.

Seriously though, these could be ideas implemented by the Robins Trust.

Ideas are easy to come up with but action requires proper study into viability to make it work. I think even getting a few hundred plaques would be a lot. I can't see the appeal of having my name on a wall somewhere but understand others might.

The Trust generated revenues of £4,400 for the year ending May 2023 of which £3,401 came from subscriptions. At a tenner each I assume then that there are 340 Trust members and someone overpaid by a quid.

If only 340 people are willing to spend a tenner a year on something that has the aim of making a difference to the club and representing supporters then I fail to see the logic of paying £100 or whatever for a plaque for pigeons to s#!t on.

The subject of what more the Trust could do to get more people to part with a tenner a year is another discussion for another day.
asl
I hadn't commented earlier as I just felt that I would come across as negative - but 10k? Really? That's not 'optimistic' - that's 'pie in the sky'. As the triple DW says, there's, let's say, 500 Trust members and the 500 Club bubbles away at around 500 members, too - but I'd be willing to bet a Venn diagram would show most who are in the former are also in the latter. Even including some of the Wembley day-trippers, I doubt you'll get close even to a tenth of that 10k.

But I do admire your enthusiasm.
Ihearye
asl wrote: 08 Apr 2024, 13:10 I hadn't commented earlier as I just felt that I would come across as negative - but 10k? Really? That's not 'optimistic' - that's 'pie in the sky'. As the triple DW says, there's, let's say, 500 Trust members and the 500 Club bubbles away at around 500 members, too - but I'd be willing to bet a Venn diagram would show most who are in the former are also in the latter. Even including some of the Wembley day-trippers, I doubt you'll get close even to a tenth of that 10k.

But I do admire your enthusiasm.
Sadly I would agree with you both. The biggest donation was the season ticket money during covid. Don't think we would get near that again