Darrell Clarke pre-Carlisle

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

RegencyCheltenhamSpa
I don’t often hear a manager big up a game like this.

https://www.ctfc.com/news/2024/april/cl ... sle-clash/

Hopefully this transmits into the players and we come out all guns.
Shade
Rightly so. We all know that if we don't get 3 points tomorrow night then we're as good as down, and the players need to know we all know that. So they need to get out there and show us why they deserve to be League One players by smashing a League Two side. DC not beating around the bush, a bit like he was 3-6 months ago when he was constantly telling the world how the players weren't fit enough and weren't good enough. Maybe he's been too soft on them since we won 3 in a week.
HamTown
".....and we have to make sure we put in a performance for the full 90."

well take the players out who haven't being performing!
Ihearye
HamTown wrote: 09 Apr 2024, 07:19 ".....and we have to make sure we put in a performance for the full 90."

I wouldn't mind seeing how big Joe and AK get on starting a match. Would also like to see JT thrown in at the start and see what he is made of when not just a cameo
PCrobin
Ihearye wrote: 09 Apr 2024, 08:58
HamTown wrote: 09 Apr 2024, 07:19 ".....and we have to make sure we put in a performance for the full 90."

I wouldn't mind seeing how big Joe and AK get on starting a match. Would also like to see JT thrown in at the start and see what he is made of when not just a cameo
Joe & AK started against Exeter and it wasn't great. First half particularly. We looked better when Keena went off and we changed formation with Joe up front on his own and Thomas & Olayinka coming forward from midfield.
HamTown
PCrobin wrote: 09 Apr 2024, 09:29
Ihearye wrote: 09 Apr 2024, 08:58

Joe & AK started against Exeter and it wasn't great. First half particularly. We looked better when Keena went off and we changed formation with Joe up front on his own and Thomas & Olayinka coming forward from midfield.
This is something that I'd like to see. In the last 3 games Joe has assisted a goal, hit the bar, got a goal which is more than Keena and Lloyd have done of late.

The problem I think is that Davies is first on the team sheet (when he should have been dropped) and only has the legs to play in a back 3.
Robin
I would like to see Bonds back in tonight to replace Kinsella. give us a solid base and allow Sercombe or maybe Thomas to play the attacking role with more freedom because they are our best hope of a goal.
CTFCfan99
If we're sticking with 3/5 at the back I would like to see Thomas in behind the strikers. Give him space to work and create in the middle of the park. If that doesn't work, switch to a 433 with Thomas and Ferry wide.
Jim
Robin wrote: 09 Apr 2024, 09:41 I would like to see Bonds back in tonight to replace Kinsella. give us a solid base and allow Sercombe or maybe Thomas to play the attacking role with more freedom because they are our best hope of a goal.
Problem with our midfield options is you lose something no matter what combination of 3 you go for. Without Kinsella we lose that energy and tenacity, without Pett we lose that player who can get control of the ball, without Sercs we lack any goal threat from midfield and Bonds is (or at least can be on his day) the best and purest defensive midfielder we have. All good players, but all one-dimensional to a degree.
Ihearye
We just need to win and for once this season, have teams trying to catch up with us. It is exhausting hoping other teams are losing when we are, knowing that it is imperative
MacRobin
Fully expect 3-5-2 tonight with Keena and Lloyd up top.

Injuries permitting, my side would be a back three of Davies, Bradbury and Freestone, Long and Ferry as the wing backs, Pett holding with Sercs and Harrop in front of him. Pett hasn’t been himself since the international break and I wouldn’t be surprised if he’s carrying a knock. If so and despite clearly being DC’s man, then Kinsella or Bonds should play the holding role. I think Harrop deserves a start and from what I’ve seen he can create. We have to win this game so we need to play on the front foot and at tempo. We know the front two are not prolific (being generous) so we need to be creating plenty of chances to ensure we get what we need.

A bench with Pardington, Williams, Shepherd, Bonds, Kinsella, Thomas and Nuttell looks reasonably strong and covers all areas of the park bar wide right and covers the 4-4-2 scenario too.

I get the clamour for Thomas to start but, for me, he’s still better coming on and attacking tired defenders at the moment. How early he comes on is probably the more pertinent question?

Six points by Sunday and we would go to Burton in a very different frame of mind!

COYR!
Shade
MacRobin wrote: 09 Apr 2024, 15:17 How early he comes on is probably the more pertinent question?
Hopefully at half time. Not to make a difference, but to give someone a rest for Saturday because we've already got the game wrapped up.

Wishful thinking.
Ihearye
That pep talk worked well