Squad rebuild this summer

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

Robin
No matter which league we are in, although if we go down I suspect we will see more turnover, this summer is going to be massive for us. We have a large amount of players out of contract and I suspect most will be let go and there are others under contract which I feel the manager may be willing to move on too. There will be others like Ferry and Southwood who will no doubt get offers from other league one clubs who can offer better wages as well.

Looking back recruitment was one of our biggest issues last summer, especially towards the end of the window, January was at best a mixed bag if not slightly underwhelming. We absolutely need to get this window right bringing in experience, guile and higher ability in the forward areas. Can we do it?
Jim
Jury is still out on recruitment since MM left. I personally don't think we can just rely on DC's little black book this summer, and I hope we've been doing so serious leg-work during the season. It's harder and harder to find hidden gems as all teams have extensive scouting networks so we need to be savvy and think outside of the box.

I personally think Jan's recruitment isn't looking too bad:

Kinsella - one of the most consistent players of the last couple of months and adds much needed energy
Harrop - has shown flashes, could play a vital role in the next 6, or could be a bit of a waste
Taylor - injury aside, he was just what we needed and exceeded most people's expectations I'd imagine
Smith - Getting better but has been a weak link
Shepherd - I've been impressed by him and surprised he hasn't featured much recently
Thomas - one of the most exciting prospects we've probably had for a while
Nuttall - slowly getting better and making positive contributions, could prove a shrewd addition

Definitely better than the 3, 4 out of 10 some were scoring it.

Chances are we'll need a new first choice GK, LWB, RCB, CB, probably a CM and a SC at least in the summer. Let's hope a lot of lessons were learned from last summer and we don't have a summer of backroom upheaval again.
Shade
We all seem to expect Southwood will move on, but GK no.1 spots are notoriously difficult to find - there are only 92 in the Football League, after all. Any rumours out there about where he might go? Any Championship or League One clubs need a keeper? Is he better than what they've already got or could get? Or will he settle for being a number 2 in the Championship?
Robin
Shade wrote: 08 Apr 2024, 15:54 We all seem to expect Southwood will move on, but GK no.1 spots are notoriously difficult to find - there are only 92 in the Football League, after all. Any rumours out there about where he might go? Any Championship or League One clubs need a keeper? Is he better than what they've already got or could get? Or will he settle for being a number 2 in the Championship?
I'm not suggesting its reliable whatsoever but someone mentioned to me a few weeks back that he may end up at Wycombe in the summer. It works location wise and they can offer better wages.
Robin
Jim wrote: 08 Apr 2024, 15:30 Jury is still out on recruitment since MM left. I personally don't think we can just rely on DC's little black book this summer, and I hope we've been doing so serious leg-work during the season. It's harder and harder to find hidden gems as all teams have extensive scouting networks so we need to be savvy and think outside of the box.

I personally think Jan's recruitment isn't looking too bad:

Kinsella - one of the most consistent players of the last couple of months and adds much needed energy
Harrop - has shown flashes, could play a vital role in the next 6, or could be a bit of a waste
Taylor - injury aside, he was just what we needed and exceeded most people's expectations I'd imagine
Smith - Getting better but has been a weak link
Shepherd - I've been impressed by him and surprised he hasn't featured much recently
Thomas - one of the most exciting prospects we've probably had for a while
Nuttall - slowly getting better and making positive contributions, could prove a shrewd addition

Definitely better than the 3, 4 out of 10 some were scoring it.

Chances are we'll need a new first choice GK, LWB, RCB, CB, probably a CM and a SC at least in the summer. Let's hope a lot of lessons were learned from last summer and we don't have a summer of backroom upheaval again.
If we manage to stay up I suspect DC will be very ruthless with moving players on, I could see all three keepers leaving, Davies retiring, Bradbury/Williams being released, Freestone being sold (if a decent offer comes in), Ferry will get better offers, so it could be Long is the only remaining player with perhaps Sambu stepping up as cover for right wing back. Upfront I feel Taylor will likely be more of a rotation/bench player next season so we can afford to keep only one of Keena or Lloyd, with Street then bring in two more forwards over the summer. The midfield who knows I guess it depends whether Pett is willing to stay or not. I wouldn't expect Harrop to be given a contract given his lack of game time.

It gives me huge concern given our known challenges with signing players and we will need to be aggressive but that's hard to do when you don't know which division we will be in at least for a couple more weeks.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
The problem we face is that if we lose players like Freestone, Bonds and Lloyd then financially we will struggle. They came up with us from League Two and will still be on wages closer to the League Two level. But to replace them with proven League One equivalents will mean players who want wages closer to the League One average.

So we will be relying on Williams and Southwood type signings for players who want to drop down for more game time, Kinsella and Taylor type signings who want another opportunity to play at a higher level, and loans who are always a risky gamble.

Whatever the balance of those types of players some fans may criticise the recruitment.
Robin
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote: 08 Apr 2024, 16:59 The problem we face is that if we lose players like Freestone, Bonds and Lloyd then financially we will struggle. They came up with us from League Two and will still be on wages closer to the League Two level. But to replace them with proven League One equivalents will mean players who want wages closer to the League One average.

So we will be relying on Williams and Southwood type signings for players who want to drop down for more game time, Kinsella and Taylor type signings who want another opportunity to play at a higher level, and loans who are always a risky gamble.

Whatever the balance of those types of players some fans may criticise the recruitment.
Agree on the types of players we will take a chance on my point is more that with likely needing to sign upwards of 12-13 players this summer and with the risk we lose some of our best players (Southwood, Ferry, Davies maybe Pett) the pressure to get recruitment right is going to be massive otherwise relegation is very likely.
Jerry St Clair
Max Harris will replace Southwood, surely? If he's going to step up it has t be next season or likely never. And JP has said he is very highly thought of at the club.

That would mean Pardington steps up to no.2 and we essentially "save" Southwards wage for investment elsewhere (as Southwood must be one of our top earners).
andgarod
it will be down to
DC
Rusty
Agents and the board

DC has been around long enough to know the agents that will be putting their players in the shop window
However we need to know where we are playing
Robin
Jerry St Clair wrote: 08 Apr 2024, 19:52 Max Harris will replace Southwood, surely? If he's going to step up it has t be next season or likely never. And JP has said he is very highly thought of at the club.

That would mean Pardington steps up to no.2 and we essentially "save" Southwards wage for investment elsewhere (as Southwood must be one of our top earners).
I don't see that happening, it may have been the plan under Wade but I don't have the same impression at all under DC. I suspect we will be looking for an experienced spine including keeper and centre half (replacement for Davies) with Taylor being the experienced striker up top.
Robin
andgarod wrote: 08 Apr 2024, 21:22 it will be down to
DC
Rusty
Agents and the board

DC has been around long enough to know the agents that will be putting their players in the shop window
However we need to know where we are playing
I agree but I would add the recruitment analyst in there and remove the board (they just set the budget). What's important is we are actively trying to line up our targets now so we are not caught too far behind, we know it took months for Moore to get Rob Street signed for example. I would hope at least we have a keeper and centre half lined up in anticipation of losing Davies and Southwood.
horlickfanclub
Can we at least get the next three games out of the way before debating the squad? So much could change .
Robin
My point is clearly we cannot wait, recruitment needed to start weeks ago otherwise next season will be a disaster no matter which league we are in.
andgarod
I agree with the above
however we are told there are lists and lists

The board has a part to play as they set the budget then break the budget when DC asks for a more expensive player or a longer contract

Also what ground work is there going to be

Hopefully after the next 3 games we can look at getting things sorted
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Robin wrote: 09 Apr 2024, 10:40 My point is clearly we cannot wait, recruitment needed to start weeks ago otherwise next season will be a disaster no matter which league we are in.
It will be happening behind the scenes, surely? I imagine some of the January decisions were made with the summer in mind. It can take two or three windows for a manager to get players out and in to form the squad they want.
horlickfanclub
Of course it is all in hand and if people bother to attend the upcoming AGM/ Forum more will be said generally. Meanwhile I will enjoy the here and now.
Jim
A question: Who would be happy if we signed Nuttall in the summer on a one or two year deal, assuming his form and performance levels improve a little more in the last 6 games and he grabs another goal or two? I'd imagine his demands would be modest. Like it or not, these are the type of deals we might need to make.
Si Robin
I'm not sure they would be modest. He's on a pretty decent wedge at Oldham (more than any of our current team).
Jim
Si Robin wrote: 09 Apr 2024, 14:19 I'm not sure they would be modest. He's on a pretty decent wedge at Oldham (more than any of our current team).
Interesting, fair enough. I assumed he was on good NL money, but no more than our average squad player. Highlights the difficult position we're in!

He's also got a year left on his deal at Oldham, but I reckon they'd let him go on free to shift him off the wage bill.
Garby74
DC has proved he is shrewd in the Market.
Pett, Kinsella, and Taylor (who I admit moaned about when he came in and proved me wrong).

DC said in a recent interview he is working on finding the Nuttall of 4 years ago.

We have seen glimpses.
I like the fact he is big strong and aggressive.
He needs to offer more in the ait though IMO.

Last 6 games of the season left, I'm afraid we have to face facts. Keena and Lloyyd are not goal scorers. Move on

Nut deserves his chance now fit.
I just understand why he hast at least tried King for a cameo or two...before its too late.

And we sell him for peanuts like the rest :(
Robin
Jim wrote: 09 Apr 2024, 13:40 A question: Who would be happy if we signed Nuttall in the summer on a one or two year deal, assuming his form and performance levels improve a little more in the last 6 games and he grabs another goal or two? I'd imagine his demands would be modest. Like it or not, these are the type of deals we might need to make.
A firm no from me, he's not league two standard and I would only keep one of Lloyd or Keena but our hand may be forced there anyway. Someone above wrote that Nuttall is aggressive sorry but I just don't see that, he's way more passive both in his movement off the ball and his competing in aerial duals.
Robin
Si Robin wrote: 09 Apr 2024, 14:19 I'm not sure they would be modest. He's on a pretty decent wedge at Oldham (more than any of our current team).
I read somewhere that Oldham have the largest wage bill in the national league but this article suggests it's £1.5million which is lower than ours (as you'd expect given the huge gulf in TV money).

https://salarysport.com/football/nation ... -athletic/

It also says Nuttal is on £2100 a week which would put him amongst our top earners if this is in anyway reliable.
Si Robin
EDIT - Ignore.
Jim
Robin wrote: 10 Apr 2024, 07:38
Jim wrote: 09 Apr 2024, 13:40 A question: Who would be happy if we signed Nuttall in the summer on a one or two year deal, assuming his form and performance levels improve a little more in the last 6 games and he grabs another goal or two? I'd imagine his demands would be modest. Like it or not, these are the type of deals we might need to make.
A firm no from me, he's not league two standard and I would only keep one of Lloyd or Keena but our hand may be forced there anyway. Someone above wrote that Nuttall is aggressive sorry but I just don't see that, he's way more passive both in his movement off the ball and his competing in aerial duals.
Yep, my opinion has changed since last night! I still don't think he was quite as dreadful as some are saying though (and I wasn't a fan of the ironic cheering when he won a couple of headers in the second half).

My point was for a modest wage he could be worth a gamble, as you can see signs of a decent footballer in there, and he has improved since coming in. However, as it turns out he's wage would be anything but modest so definitely not worth the gamble if he'd need to be one of our top earners.

Re: Keena or Lloyd, sounds like that decision has been made with JP saying Lloyd will almost certainly leave in the summer. If in League 2, Keena, Taylor, Street and one more good option wouldn't be too bad.

I was impressed by Kelly upfront for them, highlighted what we've been missing most of the season.
PCrobin
Yep Kelly looked useful - height, combined with physical presence & mobility. None of our forwards offer any of that. Sorry but I think Keena is done, I see no reason to keep him at all. Let him go back to a level that suits him (Irish League).
Si Robin
I don't agree with that. I think if Keena can get the right partner, he can be brilliant in League 2. If he can work something out with Street in the summer for example.

I agree with Jim. Add a decent target man to Keena, Street and Taylor, with a young nippy loanee then the forward line may not be too bad next season.
Warwickshire Robin
Si Robin wrote: 10 Apr 2024, 08:34 I don't agree with that. I think if Keena can get the right partner, he can be brilliant in League 2. If he can work something out with Street in the summer for example.

I agree with Jim. Add a decent target man to Keena, Street and Taylor, with a young nippy loanee then the forward line may not be too bad next season.
In my opinion someone needs to tell Keena that although he wears the no 10 shirt he is NOT a '10' in the modern sense. He is a penalty area poacher who adds little outside the box. His goal at Fleetwood to me is proof that get in and around the penalty spot/six yard box and he can finish, constantly coming deep or going wide is not his game and he is a waste of a shirt if he does this.
Si Robin
I agree - that's exactly what he is. Look at all of his goals last season. Poacher's instincts.
Jim
Warwickshire Robin wrote: 10 Apr 2024, 09:01
Si Robin wrote: 10 Apr 2024, 08:34 I don't agree with that. I think if Keena can get the right partner, he can be brilliant in League 2. If he can work something out with Street in the summer for example.

In my opinion someone needs to tell Keena that although he wears the no 10 shirt he is NOT a '10' in the modern sense. He is a penalty area poacher who adds little outside the box. His goal at Fleetwood to me is proof that get in and around the penalty spot/six yard box and he can finish, constantly coming deep or going wide is not his game and he is a waste of a shirt if he does this.
I think he was desperate to get involved and 'make something happen'. But there's no doubt he's best finishing off moves in the 6-yard box.

He is good on the ball when confident, he has good technique. I think that's why he has been tried deeper at times, although it has never worked. As Si said, a good run of Street and Keena in L2 if we do drop could be interesting.

I was thinking last night, we played FGR at the end of last season - no doubt they were a worse team than Carlisle, but we played them when they were already relegated and rock bottom and brushed them aside 3-1. That was the sort of performance I was hoping for last night.
Ihearye
PCrobin wrote: 10 Apr 2024, 08:29 Yep Kelly looked useful - height, combined with physical presence & mobility. None of our forwards offer any of that. Sorry but I think Keena is done, I see no reason to keep him at all. Let him go back to a level that suits him (Irish League).
Thanks for the offer, but no thanks.
Maybe League of Ireand may take him :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Ihearye
Robin wrote: 08 Apr 2024, 19:08
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote: 08 Apr 2024, 16:59 The problem we face is that if we lose players like Freestone, Bonds and Lloyd then financially we will struggle. They came up with us from League Two and will still be on wages closer to the League Two level. But to replace them with proven League One equivalents will mean players who want wages closer to the League One average.

Agree on the types of players we will take a chance on my point is more that with likely needing to sign upwards of 12-13 players this summer and with the risk we lose some of our best players (Southwood, Ferry, Davies maybe Pett) the pressure to get recruitment right is going to be massive otherwise relegation is very likely.
As far as I am concerned, the jury is still out on Southwood. In my mind he is very much in the mould of Scott Brown, but like SB does not command his area enough for me. Last nights goal, I thought should have been gathered by Luke as soon as the ball came in practically under his bar. Also he tends to un-nerve me (and I presume the defenders), by not coming for a ball which looks to be obviously one for him to gather up.
Robin
Jim wrote: 10 Apr 2024, 09:28
Warwickshire Robin wrote: 10 Apr 2024, 09:01

I think he was desperate to get involved and 'make something happen'. But there's no doubt he's best finishing off moves in the 6-yard box.

He is good on the ball when confident, he has good technique. I think that's why he has been tried deeper at times, although it has never worked. As Si said, a good run of Street and Keena in L2 if we do drop could be interesting.

I was thinking last night, we played FGR at the end of last season - no doubt they were a worse team than Carlisle, but we played them when they were already relegated and rock bottom and brushed them aside 3-1. That was the sort of performance I was hoping for last night.
Sorry to disagree but I don't believe they compliment each other at all. Street is a relentless presser of the ball but not great with linking play or holding the ball up. Keena is a striker who can get into space that others create, I feel he would thrive with a mobile forward like Alfie last season or a big powerful type who can hold and create. The problem is it's either Keena or Taylor as the finisher, Street or Lloyd as the third option and we lack the more creative/powerful foil in the team.

A big reason for lack of goals this season has been the lack of any real partnership up top the closest we've come is Goodwin with Street or Lloyd up along side where we had the power and the pressing which enabled the midfielders and wing backs to push up.