Cheltenham Town v Carlisle United

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

RS1978
Shade wrote: 09 Apr 2024, 21:28
RS1978 wrote: 09 Apr 2024, 21:15 I think that (as written elsewhere on here) we've got one of the smallest squads in League One. The stress of playing Tuesday/Saturday for four weeks at the end of the season (along with injuries to big players like Matt Taylor/Freestone) is proving too much - and we haven't got the players or the experience to swap players out with equal/better quality. The win against Fleetwood where players put their bodies on the line would have been great if we had a few more days for recovery/recuperation but the games come thick and fast. Players who have been decent (Kins/Davies/especially Pett) have just been 5/10% off their normal performance recently and against teams that are scrapping for every point such a small drop off is proving fatal.

Haven't scored enough goals to stay in the league TBH - this was our game in hand so fingers crossed that we come roaring back on Saturday. A bit of luck with other teams helping us out, good performances in the next five games, and lets see where we end up...
I admire your optimism and the fact you're still hoping. I, for one, during that 90 minutes have pretty much already come to terms with League Two football next season. Looking for the positives, FGR will still hopefully be a division below us, and we will avoid the Wrexham hype train visiting WR.
Obviously the Bence shirt didn't work Shade ;) With our terrible start this season it's still remarkable that we're in with a shout with 5 games left - still mathematically possible that we'll stay up, but we need to play out of our skins - probably get something in every single game left (either 1 or 3 points) and have a couple of good results involving our direct rivals in and around the relegation zone. It's not an ideal situation, but all I'm after is a bit of fight, a bit of pride in the shirt, and definitely a better ending to the season than the start that we had!
Malabus
I predict we won’t have another shot on-target for the rest of the season.

YES we are completely shambolic upfront, no threat at all. Butch of useless b******s, get rid of the lot apart from Will Ferry.

We are down, folks. No balls or guts.
Garby74
Now the dust has settled......
The crowd wanted more than the players.
(Taken from another tread on here)
Not for the first time.

When you sell all your strikers for peanuts...don't be surprised if you can't score.

We have played most of the season with no Strikers.

Very sad.
Si Robin
RS1978 wrote: 09 Apr 2024, 22:37
Shade wrote: 09 Apr 2024, 21:28
RS1978 wrote: 09 Apr 2024, 21:15 I think that (as written elsewhere on here) we've got one of the smallest squads in League One. The stress of playing Tuesday/Saturday for four weeks at the end of the season (along with injuries to big players like Matt Taylor/Freestone) is proving too much - and we haven't got the players or the experience to swap players out with equal/better quality. The win against Fleetwood where players put their bodies on the line would have been great if we had a few more days for recovery/recuperation but the games come thick and fast. Players who have been decent (Kins/Davies/especially Pett) have just been 5/10% off their normal performance recently and against teams that are scrapping for every point such a small drop off is proving fatal.

Haven't scored enough goals to stay in the league TBH - this was our game in hand so fingers crossed that we come roaring back on Saturday. A bit of luck with other teams helping us out, good performances in the next five games, and lets see where we end up...
I admire your optimism and the fact you're still hoping. I, for one, during that 90 minutes have pretty much already come to terms with League Two football next season. Looking for the positives, FGR will still hopefully be a division below us, and we will avoid the Wrexham hype train visiting WR.
Obviously the Bence shirt didn't work Shade ;) With our terrible start this season it's still remarkable that we're in with a shout with 5 games left - still mathematically possible that we'll stay up, but we need to play out of our skins - probably get something in every single game left (either 1 or 3 points) and have a couple of good results involving our direct rivals in and around the relegation zone. It's not an ideal situation, but all I'm after is a bit of fight, a bit of pride in the shirt, and definitely a better ending to the season than the start that we had!
Amazingly, if Vale win tonight, it's still entirely in our own hands. I think that sums up how poor the league has been this season.

Last night was worse than anything we've seen all season, and I include the first 11 games in that. At least the players tried in those games, they were just hampered tactically.

Not for the first time DC has come out and said that the plan was to go out and play to football but for some reason we've resorted to hoofball early on. Hoofing the ball up to a bloke who can't jump and two small lads is completely inane against a team of giants. Why did the players resort to that?

DC deserves his share of the blame as well though. Sercs and Kinsella were in the opposite positions to where they should have been. Sercs has been our biggest goal threat all season, so lets put him in a holding role. Pett is absolutely knackered but DC dare not drop him for some reason.

We gave it a go second half, but lets be honest, we could be there now and still not look like scoring.

I've not given up yet, but it really is difficult to see past League 2 next season now.
everyman
longmover wrote: 09 Apr 2024, 20:44 absolute shambles.

not a hint of concern about being relegated from anyone in a red shirt or coaching staff.
Some must know that if the club stay up they will be gone ? Not much incentive to try to win a game ?
Robin
andgarod wrote: 09 Apr 2024, 21:39 Clarke got it wrong

Thomas starting so we completely change the team and formation
but did we once play to Thomas and feet
Nuttall was being well looked after but that meant we well not getting the ball

Nuttall was getting ironic cheers but he had no support

Clarke is blaming the players but he is the manager
He needs to motivate and stop picking his favourites rather than fresh players
We end up with the strike force that didnt score in 12 matches

LLoyd again didnt get a strike away Keena had no supply

Lets pretend we are already relegated and we just play a pressing game

I am afraid its goodnight ........
I've been a critic of Lloyd and it's true he didn't get a shot away but when he came on we instantly had more threat because his movement stretched their defence and he could win headers and flick ons which Nuttall couldn't do at all. We are at our best when pressing but only Lloyd and Street can do that because we failed to improve the forward line other than Taylor.
CTFCfan99
What has happened to Sloggett? He looked good against Oxford and Barnsley but has disappeared since, is he injured or what? Desperately need some fresh legs in midfield.
Warwickshire Robin
CTFCfan99 wrote: 10 Apr 2024, 08:35 What has happened to Sloggett? He looked good against Oxford and Barnsley but has disappeared since, is he injured or what? Desperately need some fresh legs in midfield.
Was thinking the exact same. Very strange if he isn't injured that he has now fallen below even Olayinka despite two promising showings.
HamTown
Warwickshire Robin wrote: 10 Apr 2024, 08:56
CTFCfan99 wrote: 10 Apr 2024, 08:35 What has happened to Sloggett? He looked good against Oxford and Barnsley but has disappeared since, is he injured or what? Desperately need some fresh legs in midfield.
Was thinking the exact same. Very strange if he isn't injured that he has now fallen below even Olayinka despite two promising showings.
It seems DC is doesn't want to drop or give Pett, Kinsella or Sercs a rest and theres only so many places on the bench
Ihearye
HamTown wrote: 10 Apr 2024, 09:04
It seems DC is doesn't want to drop or give Pett, Kinsella or Sercs a rest and theres only so many places on the bench
There was an incident in the second half were Pett had the ball in the penalty area and a site of goal. But decided not to take a strike but dinked in another pointless cross instead it was then I thought, that an needs rested
HamTown
Ihearye wrote: 10 Apr 2024, 10:14
HamTown wrote: 10 Apr 2024, 09:04
There was an incident in the second half were Pett had the ball in the penalty area and a site of goal. But decided not to take a strike but dinked in another pointless cross instead it was then I thought, that an needs rested
Yes. I was one of those who wanted to see us start with something along the lines of the 4-2-3-1 but Pett just didn't have the physicality (and probably energy) to handle their physical strength in midfield, Bonds would have been better suited. Tired body and tired thinking.
Si Robin
I don't think there was anything wrong with 4231, we just didn't play it properly. For 10 mins we looked fine, then resorted to hoof ball for some reason.

The same happened against Wycombe. We started well, then went into hoof mode after we conceded.
horlickfanclub
If you play 4 at the back you must play 2 up front and not leave Nuttall on his own. Harrop on the wing? Who would have thought of that? Did not suit him.
Robin
We started with 3 up front yesterday Horlick and none of them looked like they knew how to play with each other. Harrop was lost so started coming to the wing to get the ball, Thomas was double marked and looked like a kid in mens football whilst whilst Nuttall didn't win a header or a flick on to the other two from what I recall.
Ihearye
Robin wrote: 10 Apr 2024, 13:26 We started with 3 up front yesterday Horlick and none of them looked like they knew how to play with each other. Harrop was lost so started coming to the wing to get the ball, Thomas was double marked and looked like a kid in mens football whilst whilst Nuttall didn't win a header or a flick on to the other two from what I recall.
Logic would dictate that is Thomas being double marked, should create space for someone else, sadly we didn't have 'someone else' up front.

I recall Wade saying he was tired telling Keena to get between the two posts and make runs to that position. Seems that battle is still ongoing
Alf
Garby74 wrote: 10 Apr 2024, 06:58 Now the dust has settled......
The crowd wanted more than the players.
(Taken from another tread on here)
Not for the first time.

When you sell all your strikers for peanuts...don't be surprised if you can't score.

We have played most of the season with no Strikers.

Very sad.

Very true, that’s why strikers are expensive.
DC has an excellent track record but has unfortunately finished up with a bunch of not very good players. Losing Taylor to injury was a big blow as was losing Alfie May.
CS85
Whilst on the subject of strikers I thought the abuse nuttall received last night was well out of line.
Our club refused to reinvest the goodwin fee properly and ended up loaning a conference striker,have a go at the board not the player.
CTFCfan99
CS85 wrote: 10 Apr 2024, 17:43 Whilst on the subject of strikers I thought the abuse nuttall received last night was well out of line.
Our club refused to reinvest the goodwin fee properly and ended up loaning a conference striker,have a go at the board not the player.
Embarrassing how many jeers and sarcastic cheers you could hear on ifollow. They all performed badly yesterday but singling one man out for abuse is just idiotic
Ihearye
CTFCfan99 wrote: 10 Apr 2024, 18:28
CS85 wrote: 10 Apr 2024, 17:43 Whilst on the subject of strikers I thought the abuse nuttall received last night was well out of line.
Embarrassing how many jeers and sarcastic cheers you could hear on ifollow. They all performed badly yesterday but singling one man out for abuse is just idiotic
Plenty just as bad. However, is he carrying an injury that prevents him jumping to head the ball? Because it was notable that he stayed rooted to the ground
Warwickshire Robin
Ihearye wrote: 10 Apr 2024, 18:37
Plenty just as bad. However, is he carrying an injury that prevents him jumping to head the ball? Because it was notable that he stayed rooted to the ground
Yes i thought it was out of order too. I was very critical after his performance at Oxford but he has definitely improved and was far from our worst performer last night

As was said on the Robins Report last week he is a bit of Kion Etete in that he is a big man who doesn't seem to jump to his full height but is ok with it at his feet.
ctfc-fan
CS85 wrote:Whilst on the subject of strikers I thought the abuse nuttall received last night was well out of line.
Refused to reinvest or DC couldn’t magically conjure up a top striker?
Garby74
I was at the game.

The ironic jeers he received were in in sarcastic jest.

One of the tallest and most athletic players on the pitch only won 2 headers...both unopposed.

My 14 year old daughter would best him in the air.

I became frustrated too...when he stopped jumping!
Fuller
Funny old night last night.
One minute everyone was getting right behind the team, next minute collective groans and a few sarcastic cheers.
Reminds me of the end of the 2014/15 season, and that didn’t end well did it.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Yeh, especially when he had actually won some headers and had held it up and shown some footwork but had no one near him in support.

Not what the team needs from fans in the last five games. Booing your own players during crucial games in a run-in is pretty dumb.
Garby74
I was at the game.

One of the tallest and most athletic players on the pitch only won 2 headers...both unopposed.

Jerry St Clair
Robin wrote: 10 Apr 2024, 08:04 We are at our best when pressing but only Lloyd and Street can do that because we failed to improve the forward line other than Taylor.
Once the dust has settled and we do the post mortem, we’ll identify a few key events as being pivotal.

Street standing on the ball at Derby while chasing a lost cause into the corner a couple of minutes before half time will be one of them.

We have looked lethargic pretty much ever since.
Joey
A poor result and another poor game of football we've seen this season despite win or lose.

Despite being in L1, feels like the amount of competitive games we've seen down WR have been severely limited other than Wigan, Reading, Oxford, Port Vale and Portsmouth. There will be a good handful of clubs who avoid relegation this season despite being abysmal; Shrewsbury, Cambridge and Wycombe come to mind. Most games have really been decided by the other been being deservedly poor, excluding us giving away penalties or poor (terrible) referees.

It seems relegation will be decided out of some of the worst teams L1 has seen and if we lose Saturday, the concern should be how on earth we will survive a very competitive L2.
Ihearye
Joey wrote: 10 Apr 2024, 23:04 A poor result and another poor game of football we've seen this season despite win or lose.

Despite being in L1, feels like the amount of competitive games we've seen down WR have been severely limited other than Wigan, Reading, Oxford, Port Vale and Portsmouth. There will be a good handful of clubs who avoid relegation this season despite being abysmal; Shrewsbury, Cambridge and Wycombe come to mind. Most games have really been decided by the other been being deservedly poor, excluding us giving away penalties or poor (terrible) referees.

It seems relegation will be decided out of some of the worst teams L1 has seen and if we lose Saturday, the concern should be how on earth we will survive a very competitive L2.
Has always been my fear with the amount of money sloshing around
Jerry St Clair
Aidan Keena - one goal all season, posed no goal threat - lauded, applauded, name sung to the rafters.

Joe Nuttall - one goal all season, posed no goal threat - sarcastically mocked, substitution cheered.

Go figure. Football fans, eh?
HamTown
Jerry St Clair wrote: 10 Apr 2024, 20:52
Robin wrote: 10 Apr 2024, 08:04 We are at our best when pressing but only Lloyd and Street can do that because we failed to improve the forward line other than Taylor.
Once the dust has settled and we do the post mortem, we’ll identify a few key events as being pivotal.

Street standing on the ball at Derby while chasing a lost cause into the corner a couple of minutes before half time will be one of them.

We have looked lethargic pretty much ever since.
That's number one for me
Si Robin
Garby74 wrote: 10 Apr 2024, 19:47 I was at the game.

We all like to be melodramatic, but he definitely won more than 2 headers.

Just because he is tall, does not mean he's a) good at jumping or b) good at heading. Kion Etete is 6ft 6in and I think he won one header in his whole time here. Not once did he get a sarcastic jeer in jest when he won it.

What Nuttall got on Tuesday was nothing short of abuse - and I was also at the game. At least he actually had a go. At one point in the first half everyone shouted for him to shoot. After blasting it over the very same people then started getting on his case about shooting.

Agree with Jerry as well, whilst it is commendable that Aidan is still getting fully backed after the season he's had, why is he still being backed to the rafters when he's achieved nothing more than Nuttall in three times the amount of games? By the same token, why is Nuttall being singled out?

He's not a very good player, by any stretch of the imagination, but that's not his fault. It's also not his fault when he's been played as target man and it goes against everything he might be good at.
Ihearye
Si Robin wrote: 11 Apr 2024, 06:57
Garby74 wrote: 10 Apr 2024, 19:47 I was at the game.

We all like to be melodramatic, but he definitely won more than 2 headers.

Just because he is tall, does not mean he's a) good at jumping or b) good at heading. Kion Etete is 6ft 6in and I think he won one header in his whole time here. Not once did he get a sarcastic jeer in jest when he won it.

What Nuttall got on Tuesday was nothing short of abuse - and I was also at the game. At least he actually had a go. At one point in the first half everyone shouted for him to shoot. After blasting it over the very same people then started getting on his case about shooting.

Agree with Jerry as well, whilst it is commendable that Aidan is still getting fully backed after the season he's had, why is he still being backed to the rafters when he's achieved nothing more than Nuttall in three times the amount of games? By the same token, why is Nuttall being singled out?

He's not a very good player, by any stretch of the imagination, but that's not his fault. It's also not his fault when he's been played as target man and it goes against everything he might be good at.
Can only presume it's because he came here with the tag of not being able to get I to a NL team. But no worse than most of the other Tuesday rabble. In saying that, he doesn't have to be Dick Fosbury to get at least a foot of the ground???
Si Robin
I think he tries, he just seems to have lead in his boots.

I agree, he was on a hiding to nothing unless he hit the ground running with us, but he didn't deserve singling out on Tuesday.
paperboy
Talking of tall strikers who give the impression that they are standing in treacle where high balls are concerned.

Does anyone recall Chris Camden who would be in gold medal position for me.
He was a giant of a man who scored a lot of goals for Stalybridge Celtic but was a rare northern camel for us.
Ihearye
Si Robin wrote: 11 Apr 2024, 07:50 I think he tries, he just seems to have lead in his boots.

I agree, he was on a hiding to nothing unless he hit the ground running with us, but he didn't deserve singling out on Tuesday.
It was as difficult a task to single out someone as it was to pick motm