Huff n puff but no quality

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

Nham68
Been a regular for approx 20 years . I’d say, that was up there with one of the most powder puff performances for such a critical game . Against the lowest side in the league, already relegated .
Where to start .

Manager doesn’t know his best starting 11. Maybe because players are so inconsistent . Game plan was figured out by the opposition tonight after 10 minutes , form where we were then neutralised completely,

We have little or no communication on the pitch : time after time, two players going for the same ball . Players not on the same wavelength . No communication also means no movmenent.

Utterly dire quality of balls into the box at set plays . When we have opportunities to cross in open play , preference is to play back out . Invariably , then losing momentum / possession.

Very little creative play /passing today .. nothing through the midfield, where we were overran most of the game . Credit to Carslile. When it came out wide, quality of the balls in was dire .

Decision making . Bradbury , twice , being pulled up for taking goal kick outside 6 yd box. Shouldn’t a pro know the rules ?

Creating opportunities ? Well, not a shot on goal all game .

Effort is there , no complaints that players are not trying .

Run out of runway I believe . Damage done early isn’t he season , but we’ve been generally poor for a month now . Players look knackered. The striker situation hasn’t helped of course .

Changes made an impact in the second half. But with no quality , the net, is never going to bulge .

I’m optimistic that at least in L2, we might spend part of the season outside the relegation zone . (We were out for 8 mins when we had a short lead was it Bolton one night ?…)
Malabus
Carlisle already relegated and had more fight. Something is incredibly wrong behind the scenes.
Ihearye
Nham68 wrote: 09 Apr 2024, 21:51 Been a regular for approx 20 years . I’d say, that was up there with one of the most powder puff performances for such a critical game . Against the lowest side in the league, already relegated .
Where to start .

Manager doesn’t know his best starting 11. Maybe because players are so inconsistent . Game plan was figured out by the opposition tonight after 10 minutes , form where we were then neutralised completely,

We have little or no communication on the pitch : time after time, two players going for the same ball . Players not on the same wavelength . No communication also means no movmenent.

Utterly dire quality of balls into the box at set plays . When we have opportunities to cross in open play , preference is to play back out . Invariably , then losing momentum / possession.

Very little creative play /passing today .. nothing through the midfield, where we were overran most of the game . Credit to Carslile. When it came out wide, quality of the balls in was dire .

Decision making . Bradbury , twice , being pulled up for taking goal kick outside 6 yd box. Shouldn’t a pro know the rules ?

Run out of runway I believe . Damage done early isn’t he season , but we’ve been generally poor for a month now . Players look knackered. The striker situation hasn’t helped of course .

Changes made an impact in the second half. But with no quality , the net, is never going to bulge .

I’m optimistic that at least in L2, we might spend part of the season outside the relegation zone . (We were out for 8 mins when we had a short lead was it Bolton one night ?…)
Hard to argue with any of those points. It is a sad place yo be when the crowd want it more than the players. They had no need to be so frightened of the ball, the crowd were right behind them. Williams was shocking, Bradbury look terrified every time he got the ball. Big Joe seems unable to jump. But that is naming only three. Those players don't look like league one players, so going down is no more than we deserve. Up until about 9.15 i always believed we had a good shout of staying up, now, for all the points listed above, I think that's me and the season done.
Not sure if I can take another long throw that produces nothing, another cross that produces nothing, another resigning myself to not seeing the goal keeper tested.
Also fatigued at money always being used as a defence for every thing that happens on and off the pitch. Others disagree but our form went when the board decided to take the money for Goodwin. It also showed the intent. We get the argument that he is not a star at Oxford, but he was good in a poor team and that was all we needed. He allowed us to play in an imoactful way. Selling him left us an injury a way to a strike force that was producing tantamount to zero. And so it turned out
. We now have to win more than all the teams around us. To do that would entail us scoring and who would count on that happening often enough.
Do feel sorry for Thomas, he barely gets the ball and then taken off to fit a new dynamic (the irony of using the word dynamic!)
Let's hope we are good enough for L2
Horteng
Absolutely pathetic.

I hope they are in this morning working to put the wrongs right.......
Robin
That was utterly disgraceful. A team of total strangers clearly lacking confidence, belief and in some cases ability. Clarke has been amazing for us but he got the team selection so very wrong last night. The only positive was the substitutions who improved us albeit from an extremely low baseline.
PCrobin
We probably can't hold onto them, but the only ones I would want to keep next season are Southwood, Freestone & Ferry. Plus young Thomas of course. The rest just aren't good enough even for League 2.

Johnson style rebuilding project required, if Darrell is up to the job?
Si Robin
Ihearye wrote: 10 Apr 2024, 05:55
Nham68 wrote: 09 Apr 2024, 21:51 Been a regular for approx 20 years . I’d say, that was up there with one of the most powder puff performances for such a critical game . Against the lowest side in the league, already relegated .
Where to start .

Hard to argue with any of those points. It is a sad place yo be when the crowd want it more than the players. They had no need to be so frightened of the ball, the crowd were right behind them. Williams was shocking, Bradbury look terrified every time he got the ball. Big Joe seems unable to jump. But that is naming only three. Those players don't look like league one players, so going down is no more than we deserve. Up until about 9.15 i always believed we had a good shout of staying up, now, for all the points listed above, I think that's me and the season done.
Not sure if I can take another long throw that produces nothing, another cross that produces nothing, another resigning myself to not seeing the goal keeper tested.
Also fatigued at money always being used as a defence for every thing that happens on and off the pitch. Others disagree but our form went when the board decided to take the money for Goodwin. It also showed the intent. We get the argument that he is not a star at Oxford, but he was good in a poor team and that was all we needed. He allowed us to play in an imoactful way. Selling him left us an injury a way to a strike force that was producing tantamount to zero. And so it turned out
. We now have to win more than all the teams around us. To do that would entail us scoring and who would count on that happening often enough.
Do feel sorry for Thomas, he barely gets the ball and then taken off to fit a new dynamic (the irony of using the word dynamic!)
I understand the point your making, but he's played 8 times for Oxford - 1 start and 7 sub appearances. That's not because of his ability, it's because he's made of glass. We sold him with an injury. He didn't make his debut until 10th February because of it. He hasn't played since 16th March because, shock horror, he's injured again.

Now I know his replacement has been injured for as long, but his replacement scored goals as well, so we'd arguably be in exactly the same boat as we are now.

DC was forced to take a couple of gambles in January because the money was wasted on poor loanees in the summer. They're clearly not paying off.

Let's not forget, he was completely on board with the Goodwin sale as well. It was he (in his own words) who negotiated the sale with Oxford.
Robin
PCrobin wrote: 10 Apr 2024, 06:48 We probably can't hold onto them, but the only ones I would want to keep next season are Southwood, Freestone & Ferry. Plus young Thomas of course. The rest just aren't good enough even for League 2.

The problem is we had a big budget that year under GJ, we are looking at a bottom eight budget next season hence why I posted about squad recruitment. Also if January is anything to go by it's going to be a very long summer then a lot of panic signings again.
everyman
Robin wrote: 10 Apr 2024, 06:41 That was utterly disgraceful. A team of total strangers clearly lacking confidence, belief and in some cases ability. Clarke has been amazing for us but he got the team selection so very wrong last night. The only positive was the substitutions who improved us albeit from an extremely low baseline.
Clake has become Mr.Tinkerman,who can`t decide on a formation and tries everything hoping it works.But with an aged squad and no positive leadership he is failing to find answers,next season let`s have a recognised team formation that they and us can understand and maybe we can settle into comfortable div 2 mid table security which is our level financially.
Ihearye
Si Robin wrote: 10 Apr 2024, 07:27
Where to start .

I understand the point your making, but he's played 8 times for Oxford - 1 start and 7 sub appearances. That's not because of his ability, it's because he's made of glass. We sold him with an injury. He didn't make his debut until 10th February because of it. He hasn't played since 16th March because, shock horror, he's injured again.

Now I know his replacement has been injured for as long, but his replacement scored goals as well, so we'd arguably be in exactly the same boat as we are now.

DC was forced to take a couple of gambles in January because the money was wasted on poor loanees in the summer. They're clearly not paying off.

Let's not forget, he was completely on board with the Goodwin sale as well. It was he (in his own words) who negotiated the sale with Oxford.
I hear what you are saying, but in life, you can't take events that happened in one situation and say they would have happened in a completely different situation. He could equally have come back firing on all cylinders for us and continued to do so. He isn't here so we will never know
Si Robin
Of course - which is why I understand your point.

At first it was looking a blinding bit of business because Taylor was scoring whilst Goodwin was injured at Oxford. Then Taylor got injured as well.
Nesty
Robin wrote: 10 Apr 2024, 07:35
PCrobin wrote: 10 Apr 2024, 06:48 We probably can't hold onto them, but the only ones I would want to keep next season are Southwood, Freestone & Ferry. Plus young Thomas of course. The rest just aren't good enough even for League 2.

The problem is we had a big budget that year under GJ, we are looking at a bottom eight budget next season hence why I posted about squad recruitment. Also if January is anything to go by it's going to be a very long summer then a lot of panic signings again.
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Where to start .

For me, all this began with the disastrous five minutes at home to Reading.

I know we had a decent February, but that Reading came felt like a real momentum shift to me. Playing good positive football for a few games and then five minutes of being rubbish and we haven’t ever looked as confident and free flowing since - even in the wins.

Throwing away that lead was compounded by refereeing decisions at Bolton and Derby and left us playing catch-up in February.
everyman
Horteng wrote: 10 Apr 2024, 06:34 Absolutely pathetic.

I hope they are in this morning working to put the wrongs right.......
No point training ,just need a day in the classroom seing what was wrong in the recent games,but they would probably fall asleep in there.
everyman
Robin wrote: 10 Apr 2024, 06:41 That was utterly disgraceful. A team of total strangers clearly lacking confidence, belief and in some cases ability. Clarke has been amazing for us but he got the team selection so very wrong last night. The only positive was the substitutions who improved us albeit from an extremely low baseline.
Whatever the formation the players need to be physically fit and able to run for 90+mins. And to link defence-midfield-forwards without massive gaps between them,resulting in desperate hoof ball passes.To do that requires a definite system which every one knows and understands and not chopping and changing game to game.
PCrobin
I know it's obviously not a guarantee of success, as Carlisle have been relegated, but watching us against them and also the likes of Exeter & Wycombe recently (comfortable mid table sides), it's noticeable to me how much more physically powerful and fitter (and larger) the players in these teams seem to be. Powerful presences in midfield and attack who overran us at times. The likes of Pett, Kinsella Harrop seem tiny and ponderous in comparison.

Is it simply a case that we have recruited the wrong sort of players to succeed at the level we need to in League One?
Ihearye
The way to deal with big lumps, is to get them having to run around a lot more. That solution resides with us and lumping aimless balls forward is not the way to do it. I think they look fitter, partially, because they are having to do a lot less in a match that our players have been
Shade
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote: 10 Apr 2024, 12:26

If you're going back to that, why not 10 or so days earlier when we lost a 1-0 lead in the 89th minute and lost 2-1 to Orient.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Shade wrote: 11 Apr 2024, 16:31

If you're going back to that, why not 10 or so days earlier when we lost a 1-0 lead in the 89th minute and lost 2-1 to Orient.
I wasn’t at that game so didn’t get any vibes from it. Did we destroy Orient as much as we were outplaying Reading for 40mins?
ctfc-fan
So reading the Rovers forum, they have a mixed view on today, some say we will beat them. Ready for an 8 goal thriller ending in a draw seeing as neither side seems to have been able to score recently?!
Si Robin
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote: 12 Apr 2024, 22:45
Shade wrote: 11 Apr 2024, 16:31

I wasn’t at that game so didn’t get any vibes from it. Did we destroy Orient as much as we were outplaying Reading for 40mins?
We were, but for most of the game rather than just 40 mins and with 10 men.