Why did we lose?

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

asl
I was ill (covid, if the result of the test kit that was beyond its expiration date is to be believed) so couldn't attend. So, objectively, why did we lose today?

1. We gave the Gas a handful of extra tickets.
2. The referee was corrupt.
3. The referee's grandfather used to fly a Bristol Beaufort during the war so was naturally swayed to give every decision to Rovers.
4. Wade Elliott.
5. We were sh1t and not good enough to deserve to stay up.

I know which I suspect is the most likely, but I'm curious as to the opinions of others.
Ihearye
asl wrote: 13 Apr 2024, 16:29 I was ill (covid, if the result of the test kit that was beyond its expiration date is to be believed) so couldn't attend. So, objectively, why did we lose today?

1. We gave the Gas a handful of extra tickets.
2. The referee was corrupt.
3. The referee's grandfather used to fly a Bristol Beaufort during the war so was naturally swayed to give every decision to Rovers.
4. Wade Elliott.
5. We were sh1t and not good enough to deserve to stay up.

I know which I suspect is the most likely, but I'm curious as to the opinions of others.
After opting out of today as we couldn't get tickets to sit together, we had a few drinks and watched Aintree instead. So I think you should add 6. We were not trained by Willie Mullins and he wins everything
Ben3
Obviously number 5 but it won't stop the boo-hoo monkeys blaming everything else. An example:

After five minutes Davis was left one on one with a striker. I thought to myself - this doesn't look good. Five minutes later they scored from the same situation.

I understand not being able to score but not being able to org side a simple defence... I don't get it.
RS1978
Simply put, we don't have the size of squad to compete. Who do you replace if one of our best players this season (Davies/Pett/Freestone/Southwood etc.) have an off day? You can't flog our best players Tues/Sat/Tues week after week and expect them to emerge unscathed. Quite a few players are being managed until the end of the season (Thomas/Lloyd/Ferry/Taylor) or picked up injuries today (Southwood/Pett) and we don't have the quality players to give them a break.

Our main strikers have scored 4,2, 1 and 1 goals - and out top scorer is Sercombe with 10 - not good enough as clinical strikers keep you in a game and get you points that you don't deserve.
art vandalay
5. We‘ve looked a complete mess for several weeks now.
Ben3
We really are limping towards the finish line. DC's initial upturn is a thing of fond memories.

The idea the away crowd leads us to lose is just absurd (I'm sure someone could go through the results by attendance and prove that). At home to Carlisle our home following was pathetic and today's atmosphere much more interesting. A causal link between away attendance and result cannot be proven so that's just people spouting nonsense.

Referees have been bad but..aren't they always?

The board not caring, the previous manager etc etc - of course we will have this same old tripe as every relegated club does (if we do go down). Sold players, if we'd have kept x (who hasn't played a minute elsewhere) we'd have finished y. To be expected but all, of course, nonsense.

Out budget is league 2. If we go to league 1 we've done really well; we've had out best ever two seasons in last three years. You cannot make a silk purse out of a sows ear not matter how many Facebook wallies DEMAND it
Last edited by Ben3 on 13 Apr 2024, 18:42, edited 1 time in total.
Robin
The last two games have reeked of a group of players who know no longer believe they can stay up, most of which know they won't be here next season and a manager who has lost focus on what made us successful and instead is tinkering constantly to find another way. All of which is a perfect storm of utter shite.
Warwickshire Robin
Robin wrote: 13 Apr 2024, 18:40 The last two games have reeked of a group of players who know no longer believe they can stay up, most of which know they won't be here next season and a manager who has lost focus on what made us successful and instead is tinkering constantly to find another way. All of which is a perfect storm of utter shite.
100% agree Robin. When DC came in he said his first thing was to simplify the gameplan and this worked perfectly.

The last few games have seen approximately 23 formation changes and the players look frazzled not just physically but mentally.

Bringing on Josh Harrop after 15 minutes then subbing him at half time reeks of desperation and a manger who is mentally frazzled too.
Ben3
Robin wrote: 13 Apr 2024, 18:40 The last two games have reeked of a group of players who know no longer believe they can stay up, most of which know they won't be here next season and a manager who has lost focus on what made us successful and instead is tinkering constantly to find another way. All of which is a perfect storm of utter shite.
It's as bad as a I can remember. They look utterly lost
Jerry St Clair
Darrell is generally pretty coy about things going on behind the scenes, but alluded today to multiple problems in the background. No doubt we'll hear more about that in the post-mortem.