Agents fees

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

RegencyCheltenhamSpa
The FA have released club by club spend on agents for the last year.

No surprise we are the lowest in L1.

https://www.thefa.com/-/media/thefacom- ... -2024.ashx
Ihearye
The worrying thing is, there is only a handful of clubs in L2 spending less
andgarod
so we are the cheap skates
No surprise there
So does this mean that we never get offered the more expensive players because the agents know we will not pay
or
we dont even try

Lets hear how our recruitment works
Robin
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote: 13 Apr 2024, 22:09 The FA have released club by club spend on agents for the last year.

Being pedantic but we are second lowest, behind Carlisle. Sadly this is a necessary evil now to get players signed as agents will chase their cuts of any deals.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Robin wrote: 14 Apr 2024, 08:29
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote: 13 Apr 2024, 22:09 The FA have released club by club spend on agents for the last year.

Being pedantic but we are second lowest, behind Carlisle. Sadly this is a necessary evil now to get players signed as agents will chase their cuts of any deals.
Ah yes good spot, I missed Carlisle. No surprise they are bottom of the league table then!
Jerry St Clair
All for not feathering the nests of agents. But appreciate being prudent has consequences.

As an aside, why on earth does this happen anyway? Why don’t players pay the agents fees? It’s surely a bit like me buying a house and paying the sellers estate agent fees.
horlickfanclub
I agree Jerry. The players should pay their agents. How and when this ridiculous drain on clubs came in to being baffles me.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Jerry St Clair wrote: 14 Apr 2024, 11:51 All for not feathering the nests of agents. But appreciate being prudent has consequences.

As an aside, why on earth does this happen anyway? Why don’t players pay the agents fees? It’s surely a bit like me buying a house and paying the sellers estate agent fees.
Market forces.

Say the arrangement is the player pays the fees as you suggest.

Then, say, the player is wanted by three clubs who offer the same wages.

One of those clubs then says they’ll pay the agent instead - or on top - to swing the deal in their favour. The agent can then ask the other clubs if they want to bid more.

I am sure it happens with houses too. Where I am houses are still going to best and final sealed bids higher than the asking price - wouldn’t surprise me if some bidders say they will pay fees as well, although bidding over the asking price covers that too.
horlickfanclub
"Market forces" would suggest that most of those clubs could not afford to pay other peoples bills. i.e. Reading,Wigan.
Nham68
Look at league 2. The highest spending is soon to be relegated . It doesn’t necessarily correlate that the more you spend, the better your outcome .
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Nham68 wrote: 16 Apr 2024, 05:54 Look at league 2. The highest spending is soon to be relegated . It doesn’t necessarily correlate that the more you spend, the better your outcome .
A bit like me missing Carlisle before, you have missed Wrexham. The highest spending is already promoted, but yes you’re right that money is no guarantee - otherwise we wouldn’t have had the success we have had in that last four seasons!
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Ten of our signings involved an intermediary - or agent - who commanded fees.

The signings are listed here, although the fees aren’t: