Tom King

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

Jerry St Clair
No Street. No Keena. Possibly no Lloyd. A half fit Matty Taylor. Nuttall may be our only fully fit forward available for the remaining three games.

Darrell is a risk taker and we need goals.

Tom King has to on the bench at least, surely?
Robin
He was on the bench at the start of the season and even came on a few times but he's nowhere near ready for league one, still a kid in terms of physical frame so we all need to temper our expectations a bit there.
horlickfanclub
Robin wrote: 17 Apr 2024, 13:23 He was on the bench at the start of the season and even came on a few times but he's nowhere near ready for league one, still a kid in terms of physical frame so we all need to temper our expectations a bit there.
Six months of meat and three veg might have made him grow,
Jim
horlickfanclub wrote: 17 Apr 2024, 13:59
Robin wrote: 17 Apr 2024, 13:23 He was on the bench at the start of the season and even came on a few times but he's nowhere near ready for league one, still a kid in terms of physical frame so we all need to temper our expectations a bit there.
Six months of meat and three veg might have made him grow,
True he may have bulked out a bit already. I'm not saying he's ready, as the last time I saw him play in the youth cup he looked one of the smaller players there, let alone a men's game.

Sure he's been on a bench relatively recently? Maybe a couple of months ago. Think we'll see a similar pattern as last night, other than Nutz starting and then maybe Taylor coming off for Links later on and a change of shape.
Si Robin
I'm not sure suggesting one of only two fully fit forwards in the whole squad have a seat on the 7 man bench is being expectant to be honest.
Shade
:lol: We've got no fit strikers but let's not put the kid on the bench because it's a foregone conclusion he won't do anything if needed? Balls. Get him on there and throw him on if necessary. Nobody expects anything, but it's better than nothing and he may do something.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Thomas and King provide an energetic and unknown threat to the opposition.

Lincoln know a defeat will end their season. Get at them early on with some young enthusiasm and they could collapse.
Lord Elpuz
I’m in agreement that Tom King should be on the bench, he’s clearly got the ability to make an impact and it is what dreams are made of. You can’t teach speed and he has that. We know he can score goals, as he would not have caught the eye of the Young England selectors. He could cause a lot of consternation against a tiring defence in a tight and tense game.

The opposite side of the argument possibly comes down to his potential value on the transfer market. If Tom King reaches his potential - and the signs are good - there is no way we will be able to retain him at Cheltenham.

Is he therefore being wrapped in cotton wool to protect a prized transfer asset?
asl
Heyyyy.....what if we drop Pardington from the bench and add another youth team player....? Surprised nobody's suggested that. It's the sort of out-of-the-box thinking we need right now...
PCrobin
asl wrote: 18 Apr 2024, 08:38 Heyyyy.....what if we drop Pardington from the bench and add another youth team player....? Surprised nobody's suggested that. It's the sort of out-of-the-box thinking we need right now...
Probably not a good idea with Southwood nursing a broken toe..
asl
Nonono...goalkeepers never get injured...

1985CTFC seems to have vanished, again...
Si Robin
He flounced last week over this very point :D
1985CTFC wrote: 06 Apr 2024, 17:11 No more replies from me on this topic you scaredy cats.

In fact no more from me on all topics, Wasting my time. Yipee you can shout.

Regency pay my £10 to CTFC to get a replacement for Lloyd. Should be enough.
asl
Oh, I missed that... I thought he'd left because nobody bought into the plan to sell 10,000 brass plaques for people to have messages engraved.

Hey, ho.
Jim
Every young player is different, and one player might be ready at 16 and another might not be ready for 1st team football until they're 19/20. With King I think it comes down purely to his physical attributes - he seems to have the confidence to be involved and from the interviews I've seen and read, he seems mature enough too. I doubt he'd be fazed by the occasion and would probably relish it. I'd have him on the bench as a wildcard option, but that's easy for me to say.

At his age a growth spurt can happen in a matter of weeks - wouldn't be surprised to see him looking a very different prospect next season. I hope the club has a good plan for his development, a loan at a good level next season for example.
Ihearye
asl wrote: 18 Apr 2024, 09:13 Oh, I missed that... I thought he'd left because nobody bought into the plan to sell 10,000 brass plaques for people to have messages engraved.

Hey, ho.
Sadly it is sometimes a feature of the forum that some can notjust respectfully disagree without getting personal or belittling
Robin
Si Robin wrote: 17 Apr 2024, 14:19
I'm not sure suggesting one of only two fully fit forwards in the whole squad have a seat on the 7 man bench is being expectant to be honest.
It's expectant in the sense people will then think he can come on and influence games, then when/if he doesn't they will write him off. Even though he's under contract next season he will almost certainly be out on loan to help adjust to the mens game and build confidence.
Si Robin
Except not a single person has said if he's on the bench then he'll be expected to come on and make an impact.

What's been said is that he is one of two fully fit forwards and has a contract as a professional footballer so there should be a space for him on the bench in case the other forwards go down with injury. The likelihood is that he won't even need to come on (much like Jamie Pardington) but it doesn't hurt to have him there. I'd rather a 17 year old striker than a 25 year old defensive midfielder come on to replace Matty Taylor if we're chasing a game.
Broadway Brian
Ihearye wrote:
asl wrote: 18 Apr 2024, 09:13 Oh, I missed that... I thought he'd left because nobody bought into the plan to sell 10,000 brass plaques for people to have messages engraved.

Hey, ho.
Sadly it is sometimes a feature of the forum that some can notjust respectfully disagree without getting personal or belittling
Indeed. Unfortunately, that guy was a chief belittler but I’d welcome him back with open arms (he owes me money for a brass plaque after all).
Garby74
I'm baffled why Tom King has not been used as an impact sub.

Ive seen him play in the youth team.

He would provide more of an attacking threat that some other players on the bench and a couple on the pitch!

Why is age such a restriction?

If your good enough your old enough.

May as well play him before he is sold for half market value...

The cheltenham way
vickeryc
Si Robin wrote: 18 Apr 2024, 14:10 Except not a single person has said if he's on the bench then he'll be expected to come on and make an impact.

What's been said is that he is one of two fully fit forwards and has a contract as a professional footballer so there should be a space for him on the bench in case the other forwards go down with injury. The likelihood is that he won't even need to come on (much like Jamie Pardington) but it doesn't hurt to have him there. I'd rather a 17 year old striker than a 25 year old defensive midfielder come on to replace Matty Taylor if we're chasing a game.
Yep, absolutely
HamTown
vickeryc wrote: 20 Apr 2024, 09:00
Si Robin wrote: 18 Apr 2024, 14:10 Except not a single person has said if he's on the bench then he'll be expected to come on and make an impact.

Yep, absolutely
Think garbys just made an exception there!

But I do agree. If King came on what I'd expect is him to buzz about, press and cause a nuisance which doesn't seem to be a huge amount of pressure to put on his shoulders especially off the back of a season of our misfiring forwards